5.0 out of 5 stars Martin luther King jr. Book response

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed a professional writer to help
Published on December 29, 2011 by george sand

5.0 out of 5 stars Martin luther King jr. Book response, March 10, 2003
A Kid's Review
This review is about the book My life with Martin Luther King Jr. By Coretta Scott King. This book touched me because my grandpa used to know Dr.King and this book tells me all the stuff my grandpa never told me. Like when Martin protested to all the whites, the Ku Klux Klan, or [KKK] told Dr.King to stop protesting or he would never see his family again, but Martin was not afraid,and with that the KKK bombed his house as a warning, luckally no one was hurt. The "I have a dream speech". Won Dr.King the noble peace prize, That angered the KKK and in his hotel The KKK guned him down in front of his family, and after the funeral the Mayor made it a law to treat blacks equally. Martin Luther King had one but had lost his life in the process.
I reccomend this book to all people [Blacks & Whites alike] that had a goal in life and did not stop until they achevied it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. King Is A Strong, Dignified Woman, September 8, 2005
The behind-the-scenes story of the other side in Dr. King's life. His widow, Coretta Scott King, writes an earnest memoir of her own life and what it was like to try to maintain some shade of normality for her family in the turmoil of the Civil Rights movement. There is too much honesty here for the hero worship of the late Dr. King many might expect. After reading this book I came away feeling Mrs. King deserves praise for her own role in her peoples' struggle and her husband's achievements. Coretta Scott King, like so many women behind noteworthy men, should receive more than the footnote status those in such roles too often find is their legacy.

4.0 out of 5 stars And I thought she was just the wife of a great leader..., August 1, 2000
After reading this book, my respect for the great leader Dr. King, as well as his phenomenal wife grew. I never knew she was a such a success story apart from Dr. King. I also admire her for literally laying down her life to be a support to her husband. The courage she demonstrated encouraged me so. I am also the wife of a Black Baptist preacher and I now know that there are no limits for me and any strong Black male leader must have a strong Black woman standing behind him.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book by Far!!!!!!, April 23, 2002
Sondet (Lawton, Ok. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life with Martin Luther King, Jr. (Paperback)
I thought the book was wonderful!!! It gave me insight to what life was like living with MLK Jr. You felt the pain when things went wrong. You felt the happiness when things went right. Coretta Scott King did a great job of letting everyone know the imtimate details of her and her husbands life. If you haven't read it , check it out. Trust me, as a teen, it was a book that grasped my interest. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars *ANOTHER "DAY OF TEARS" : January 31, 2006*, February 1, 2006
mcHaiku "nmi" (Brown County INDIANA) - See all my reviews
Greatness in women! How is it achieved, and how acknowledged, when one is married to a significant public figure?

CORETTA SCOTT KING died yesterday, and her partnership marriage with Martin Luther King, Jr. is described in this auto-biography that is more his story, yet they were "privileged to share" each other's lives. She was a true helpmate, 'cheerleader' and support whose personality and musical talent provided needed harmony in his daily life. Coretta King was soft-spoken, with beauty and timbre in her speaking voice. She did not lack backbone; it was through her background as a descendant of slaves that lessons of courage were passed down (Read "SHOW WAY" - - Newbery Honor Book, 2006, that tells of similar circumstances.)

After a rural Alabama upbringing, Coretta Scott became a 1949 graduate of Antioch (OH) College. She went on to graduate from the New England Conservatory of Music in 1951, but changed course from career to marriage, though it was said she never expected to marry a man who would march, go to jail for civil rights, and change America forever. (A picture taken of Coretta with classmates at Antioch is "so forties" - - similar pictures taken at other northern schools might not have included black students. The pictures are of great interest, including a lovely photograph of the family saying a 'blessing' at mealtime; others are sharp reminders of incidents in our national life not altogether healed.) The original 1969 edition was later changed, mostly in language, to be more 'politically correct' as people like to say nowadays. The index takes note of a press conference Mrs. King shared in Washington D.C. with my aunt, Dorothy Hewitt Hutchinson, to protest the war in Vietnam. This was a very few days before Martin Luther King was gunned down. Have we progressed at all during the intervening years?

Coretta King was widowed at age 40, left to deal with the trauma of her husband's death, to 'explain' it to their four small children. She drew on a wellspring of courage and faith. We may wonder sometimes if there will be women in the future who grow up that strong. She writes as an historian, yet also as a fully involved wife. There was little that was 'everyday-ish' about their life; the knowledge of hatred and injustice could not be kept from the children altogether. Life was admittedly tumultuous; people did & said ugly things.

The chapters telling about the time following Dr. King's death are filled with expressions of gratitude for those who immediately offered & gave help, and those who came to hold her in their arms and in their prayers. Life has not been easy for the family members, as so often happens with children of the famous, and they need our prayers now. Coretta Scott King deserves every accolade; mcHAIKU says "Amen" to a life well lived.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coretta King writes an epic of the life of her husband, December 21, 2002
I read this book for my Modern American History class and aside from two uses of "G__ d___," which I feel Mrs. King used to show the historical accuracy of the persecution during one of Martin's marches, that this was an informative read. I don't know that much about black history, but Mrs. King seems to go in depth while being completely concise. Famous historical figures such as Malcolm X and Ralph Abernathy are littered throughout and we have what I believe is probably an accurate view of the mores and values of the times. The book inspired me to stand up for my beliefs at the expense of persecution. In this book, we have a more human picture of Martin, the love he shared for people and his determination to lead them out of the valley of despair. As I approached the end of the book, I couldn't put it down because I was completely riveted at the events that ensued after his assassination. I've not read any other books about this period, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the authorative work on the history of black civil rights during that time period.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Life With Martin Luther King, Jr., April 7, 2011
This review is from: My Life with Martin Luther King, Jr. (Paperback)
My Life with Martin Luther King, Jr. was written by Coretta Scott King (Martin Luther King, Jr.'s wife) and was first published in 1969. Mrs. King's purpose in writing this book was not only to show the civil rights activist that he was but to also show a more personal side of him that she saw on a regular basis. Her narration allows the reader to see the Martin Luther King that she fell in love with. The intended audience for her book is blacks and whites alike. Even though the King family went through many troubles during the civil rights period (even the assassination of Dr. King), Coretta Scott King always made sure that she remained strong not only for her husband but for her kids as well. It shows that if there is a strong man, there is always a strong woman by his side. The book was objective and showed her side of the story yet having the focus on her husband. This book was also accurate in that she was his wife and would know the most about him and would also witness what he did on a daily basis. Coretta's influence since her husband's death was pretty high. After her husband's death and the publishing of her first book, she continued to fight for justice like Dr. King would have wanted her to. For example, she persuaded the government to make Dr. King's birthday a national holiday and she created a center in his name to further promote nonviolence. Overall, I recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a more personal view of the late Dr. King.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, brave, and inspiring., February 4, 2015
I discovered this in the sources listed in Clayborne Carson's Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. (which is another outstanding book). It's over 300 pages long, and I finished it in a mere four days, because I could barely put it down. This was all before my time, so before reading these two books I had no idea what they went through or what their life was like. Her last chapter just breaks your heart, but at at the same time it inspires. Her faith and strength is amazing, and it's clearly evident throughout the entire book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Been looking for this book for ages, October 2, 2013
Not the original bound edition I ready 40 years ago, but very much worth the re-read. A great book, thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed a professional writer to help, December 29, 2011
This review is from: My Life with Martin Luther King, Jr. (Paperback)
I think the book lacked a lot of drama that a book needs & it reflected Mrs. King's personality in that it was measured & very patient which is what she is & had ot be during the trials she endured with Dr. King. But it does make for some dull reading in a life that was fraught with more drama than imaginable. Mrs. King should have had some professional help in writing this.

My Life with Martin Luther King, Jr.
My Life with Martin Luther King, Jr. by Coretta Scott King (Paperback - January 1, 1994)
Used & New from: $20.33