UPDATE: 3/20/2014:

Revisited this book on a whim, saw the highly critical first place review and have a couple comments to make.

Published on November 27, 2010 by Intenex

1.0 out of 5 stars If you read 4 Hour Work Week, You already read it...
Published on December 29, 2011 by someguy2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing. Leaving in January for South America, Africa, and Asia., November 27, 2010
UPDATE: 3/20/2014:

This book was indeed quite possibly the most life-changing book I ever read. I ended up traveling to all 7 continents in one year as a direct result of reading this (including taking an expedition vessel to Antarctica), buying incredible gear on Tynan's recommendation which has held up unbelievably well (I count the Deuter Futura 28 and Mont-Bell ExLight Down Jacket as two of the best purchases I've ever made - both are still in incredibly good condition and I use them on an almost daily basis).

Another important note - I wasn't friends with Tynan at the time of my first review [I was 18 then -- 22 now], but I reached out to him shortly after I returned from my first trip to Africa where I climbed Kilimanjaro, we met over tea in San Francisco, and ended up traveling to Japan together last year, which was quite possibly one of the best trips I've ever taken. We then proceeded to buy an island together and now get free flights anywhere in the US for the next two years courtesy of the Southwest Companion Pass. In the works for this year: we'll be doing a transpacific cruise from Vancouver --> Russia --> Japan, and visiting Hong Kong to do the world's tallest bungee jump.

At the same time, I won a $100,000 Thiel Fellowship grant to pursue entrepreneurship (in no small part thanks to the fact that they were pretty impressed that I took time out of school to go climb Kilimanjaro -- because of this book), which culminated with me meeting my cofounder in Antarctica and us founding Sprayable Energy together, which had the second most funded crowdfunding campaign of all time in its category on Indiegogo and was featured recently in the New York Times/NPR/The Atlantic/Entrepreneur/Inc/ABC/FOX/etc.

In short, no, this book is *not* a gimmick, and if you're willing to actually commit to your dreams, the book will help you make it happen. If you don't believe anything I say, just google me - Ben Yu, Thiel Fellow, Cofounder of Sprayable Energy. Email me and I'll verify/confirm anything. Hopefully that's a little more trustworthy than taking the cynical perspective of 'someguy2004' at face value (check out his other reviews - this guy just hates on *everything* - more a reflection of himself than the book or any of the other products he criticizes I'm tempted to say).

Of course following your dreams and doing the unconventional isn't easy. No one said it was. But if you're willing to commit to it, it *is* 100% possible, and this book will help you make it happen.

Cheers!

--------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST 11/27/2010:

This book was both the final straw that tipped me over the edge as well as the huge bulldozer that pushed me to the edge in the first place. I've always wanted to travel, and admittedly Travels by Michael Crichton was what first led me decidedly down the path of doing rather than wanting. Unfortunately, it was still an abstract concept of the future - something to do after college, perhaps. I first read this book in one go until 6 AM on a school night senior year of high school, and that's when I started looking seriously into the idea of travelling as a near-future prospect.

I'm happy to announce that now, after one semester of college, I'm taking a leave of absence for the spring term to travel around the world entirely independently, with a 28L pack on my back. The benefits of this book are twofold - it's fantastic for convincing you to change your life, and it's invaluably helpful for getting you in practical terms to a point where you're able to accomplish that change. I revisited the book after making my decision to travel, and along with tynan.net (where Tynan's posted a fantastic gear post of things to bring abroad) this book has helped me more than any other piece of material I've ever come across.

Things I've learned from this book:

Anyone can travel. It's definitely true that it's far easier for college students (in fact, Harvard *encourages* us to go, and the entire leave-of-absence petition process took upwards of fifteen entire minutes), but I'm positive now that almost anyone can change their life in an instant and achieve greater even greater success than before, both financially and personally. I'll be working on an internet startup full-time while I'm abroad, for example - something that the constant pressures and commitments of Harvard simply wouldn't allow otherwise.

You can travel minimally. You can seriously fit everything you need into a small backpack.

Travel is safe. If you're respectful and open to the culture, chances are good that bad things won't happen to you as you imagine they will.

Travel is cheap. In fact, after reading other travel works after Tynan, I'm convinced that travel is even cheaper than the estimated $1500/month he figures - especially if you engage in long term travel, staying in a place for a couple to several months at a time to save on airfare and thoroughly immerse yourself in the local culture of a region.

Travel is now. Not only can anyone travel, but anyone can travel right now.

I hope this book helps you as much as it's helped me. Be open to it, and it will.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you read 4 Hour Work Week, You already read it..., December 29, 2011
This review is from: Life Nomadic (Paperback)
No offense to the author, he seems like a decent chap. But it is clear from this book (haven't read the PUA one) and his blog that he is just a not very successful Timothy Ferris. What I mean is, this isn't so much a book about living a nomadic existence as it is advertisement for a "lifestyle" that he peddles. And its clear, his livelihood is based on selling this idea. And there are several bloggers/"authors" trying to make a living by peddling this lifestyle (Tim Ferris, Steve Kamb, Sovereign Man). In fact its funny that Neil Strauss, whose book popularized the genre that that this author's previous book was on (i.e. picking up women) also has a book on how to life this unattached nomadic lifestyle. Suffice to say, this is a crowded genre that appeals to young American men with fantasies of living "unattached" and having unique and "crazy" experiences. Nothing wrong with that, but it is almost a cliche at this point near 2012. The fantasy they are selling is kind of get rich quick lifestyle where there really is a free lunch. Tynan doesn't talk about the tedium of world travel, the loneliness that can happen living life on the road and the difficulty of starting fresh. It is therefore not a balanced or even honest recollection as much as a one-sided self-congratultory celebration. And as someone who has travelled the world and is preparing to move abroad shortly, I prefer the nuance and authenticity.

I'm glad I read this through the Kindle Lending Library so I didn't actually pay for it. Its not a bad book its just not interesting and very salesy. The author is constantly trying to sell you (on his lifestyle/brand... notice even the one-word name Tynan, pretty sure that he wasn't born that way and its obviously an attempt to stand out in a crowded market) . I would have preferred straight-up suggestions and experiences versus lots of gimmicky salesmanship and self-promotins and "you can be this cool too" attitude.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Inspiring Guide, April 29, 2010
This review is from: Life Nomadic (Paperback)
This is the best travel book I have read so far. It offers very practical advice on everything from packing to buying cheap airplane tickets. It is also partly a book on travel and life philosophy, which I really appreciated. I have done a lot of traveling myself lately and plan to be a full time vagabond once I finish my Ph.D. I know this book will be an invaluable resource for the logistics of my travels. Whether you are someone who wants to really go around the globe or just learn how to appreciate what is right in front of your nose, you need to read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to travel, you must read this book, April 29, 2010
This review is from: Life Nomadic (Paperback)
Life Nomadic inspired me to take action on my dreams, and now I'm traveling in Vietnam. I'm loving the quick-dry convertible pants, GPS watch, and traveling LIGHT! I read it cover-to-cover; it was so engaging that it was hard for me to put it down. It is easily the one of the best books I've ever read.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Essay, But Could Contain More Detail, January 19, 2012
This review is from: Life Nomadic (Kindle Edition)
Life Nomadic by Tynan is an inspirational book. It describes his quest to live a nomadic lifestyle and living out of a backpack.

This book reviewer gives it 3 stars. It would get a higher rating for just being an essay on travel, but a lower rating for the practical advice (or lack of). To follow his advice you need to have no children under the age of 18 and a job that can be done entirely online. Being married is optional.

This book is worth the $2.99 for the travel essay and for trying to inspire the person who wants to travel and experience the local culture. As someone who has lived out of a backpack for an extended time, it brings back the memories. Maybe I will do it again once the kids are out of the house.

Anthony Wessel - Owner of DigitalBookToday.com and reviewer at KindleBookReview.com.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Practical Advice for Solo Travelers, December 28, 2011
C. Smith (Ann Arbor, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life Nomadic (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book very much because it is chock-full of practical and specific advice. The author takes the time to oh-so-precisely explain exactly what he's describing. For example, he doesn't just say that wool is the optimal fabric for clothing. He explains why wool is so appropriate for travelers, and the precise fabrication of wool that a traveler should buy. He addresses nearly all aspects of solo traveling - credit cards, bank accounts, postal service, shoes, cell phones, backpacks, etc. And, it's all very helpful and engaging.

The author has done an outstanding job of writing a book for a solo, male, healthy traveler. My next few sentences are not intended to be critical of the book - it's simply an identification of what the book does not address. It does not address any of the unique aspects of a solo female traveler - personal safety, obviously, is at the top of the list. Followed by women's hygiene requirements that are different than for men. The book also does not address any health considerations. The author is very clear that he is writing from the perspective of a healthy, young male. There are no tips available for solo travelers with chronic health conditions, or what advice he may have when a traveler faces an acute, unexpected problem.

Finally, the book does not address any family traveling. I have been mulling over how to travel with our young daughter throughout her summer vacation. While I can use numerous of his tips and guidelines, there are aspects of family travel that are simply not covered in this book.

In summary, I encourage readers to get this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I learned quite a bit. His advice is so specific and precise; it's much appreciated. I know exactly where to look for information, and what to search for. I also enjoyed learning about his website and seeing what he's up to now.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book Rocks. Buy it now., July 21, 2010
This review is from: Life Nomadic (Paperback)
I reluctantly agreed to read the e-book version of Life Nomadic book after a buddy recommended it. "Another book to read? Forget it," I thought. Boy was I wrong. As someone who loves both the Four Hour Work Week and Vagabonding, I expected it to be some kind of amalgamation of the two. Wrong again.

This book was filled with insightful travel tips ranging from what gear to take (not what you think), to how to save "boat loads" of money on cruises (pun intended). Tynan recommends traveling as a minimalist, which is in my opinion the only fun way to travel. It can cause anxiety in pack rats, but getting out of your comfort zone is good for you.

Once more all these colorful gems of wisdom are interspersed with interesting, entertaining, and downright eccentric life stories, some right out of a Ian Flemming novel (guerilla tuxedo gambling aboard the Queen Mary anyone?).

If you like [...], the 4HWW, Vagabonding, adventure of any flavor, or even have a pulse, do yourself a favor. Set aside a day to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on lifestyle design, travel, minimalism, adventure, and so much more, December 30, 2011
This book is AWESOME.

It is One of the best books on lifestyle design, travel, minimalism, adventure, and so much more.

Tynan is so inspirational, I have learned so much and this book has helped me downsize my travels to what will fit in a backpack for easy mobility.

5.0 out of 5 stars SCARIEST BOOK EVER, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Life Nomadic (Kindle Edition)
I nonchalantly acquired this from the author's website months and months ago. I read another of his books, and this sounded interested and wasn't expecting much. Instead, what I got was the SCARIEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ! As soon as I started reading it, I couldn't put it down until I finished it at 1am on a day I had to get up and ready for work by 4am. And the whole time I was reading it, my heart was pounding and my eyes were strained and I had a headache because I was so tired but full of adrenaline to read on. I've read a lot of thrillers, and non of them made me feel like what this book did, which is hilarious irony.

So, that's how it made me feel. What the book is about is challenging the typical and widely accepted life style. This book explains a life style involving traveling 8 months out of the year and actually LIVING in cultures you've never been to before. And the book explains every little details and answers any question I would have about a trip like that and some I wouldn't even know to ask until I ran into the problem. And it makes it feel 100% reachable. After reading the book, I felt like in a couple of months if I tried hard enough I COULD live that life style with some work. MUST READ BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive ROI, June 10, 2010
This review is from: Life Nomadic (Paperback)
This book is insightful, thought provoking, and extremely informative. If all that isn't enough, buy the book because the advice on trip planning and travel options alone will DEFINITELY save you money in your upcoming journeys.

If Tynan were as aggressive a self-promoter as, say, Kanji-master Tim Ferriss, this book would be much better known than it is - it certainly deserves to be. For now, consider it our little secret.

You may never look at travel the same again.

Life Nomadic
Life Nomadic by Tynan (Paperback - February 21, 2010)
$19.99 $17.90