4.0 out of 5 stars Good conversation starter
Published 22 months ago by Marek

2.0 out of 5 stars No more useful than a tripod
Published 9 months ago by JPham

4.0 out of 5 stars Good conversation starter, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Life-Phorm All-in-One Positioning Device for iPad 3, iPad 4, Tablets, Smartphones and Cameras (000LIF) (Accessory)
Life form idea is perfect - it mimics the stability of a spider and adapts well to many surfaces. It fits nicely between the slide-out ashtray and the armrest of a Cad DeVille creating a continuous console and ergonomic space to use the i-pad. Do not buy it if you want to be inconspicuous, however. They all stare... On the other hand, it was very handy in bars and coffee shops to start acquaintances; people are curious.

One weakness is the ipad attachment bracket itself. It unfolds and forms a floppy, loosey-goosey bracket that you must squeeze to hold your tablet. Since there is no tensioning mechanism, the tablet is difficult to fixture tightly and works itself loose with handling. The device appears to be built well and has performed its first 1700 miles splendidly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat for watching video, Amazing for DSLR or NEX Filmmaking!, August 22, 2013
@IdeaJason (Des Moines, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I just got this today and have already tried it with my Sony NEX-5, MY Ipad in a case, My HTC One (m7) in a slim case, Nexus 7" Tablet in a fat case. All of them worked with the single caveat of the mid size 7"-ish tablets have to sit in portrait mode. Every other size had full movement. The 7"-ish being in portrait isn't really an issue because the legs not only flex in & out but rotate like a shoulder, Maybe 20-30° so you can wiggle it to suit most situations.
The ipad fit perfect, check the Ipad gen1, gen2, retina. all worked and some in cases. I hung it off overhead cabinets in the kitchen, Bathroom mirror, off side of laptop to use ipad as second screen. Worked great in all situations and I had no fear of it taking a nose dive.

The best thing I can imagine this product for is shooting video on 4/3, NEX, & DSLR cameras. I can think of at least 10 situation in the past year that I spent hours imagining & engineering some funky duct taped mount to get a good shot. This widget would do it in 5 minutes. I not only get to save hours on hacking but get to spend that time making up some new angles I couldn't have dreamt of before without a huge rental budget or tons of PVC & duct tape. Very few times you buy something that makes you excited to try "new" things. Yeah new sturdier tripod, yeah another lens, maybe a slider is cool when new but this is something you can always use & each new shot now has possibilities yet dreamed. No longer do I need to carry a those mini tripods & flexible arm clamps!

When trying my camera I found the tightness of the joints to be perfect for holding shape under some weight. I hung the camera upside down on a door frame, made a cool look for entering a room or Security cam look.

I also loved I can mount the whole thing on a tripod or to my awesome & cheap quick release adapter [...] .

I have no doubt the Phorm will find many uses for both my film kit & normal family use. Right now I'm using it to watch my 2yr old nap using an old smartphone over wifi like a baby video monitor but much cheaper. The scary spider thingy wasn't there when she went to sleep so I hope she doesn't freak upon waking seeing it hanging in the corner.

2.0 out of 5 stars No more useful than a tripod, November 24, 2013
JPham (Circle Pines, MN) - See all my reviews
At first this seemed very useful for holding my tablet, phone, camera, or 5" monitor for filming but the more I used it the less I found it to work as well as I had hoped. Here's a quick overview: the device uses two parts to hold your devices which you lock by tightening a screw. I could never get the clamping system to hold my devices tight enough and they would always slide out. Second, I could never turn the screw enough to lock the clamp down. Once you are satisfied with how it holds, you can adjust the legs to any position to best support your device to a useable angle. Great theory. In reality unless you are clamping onto a tree or laying it flat (useless idea) you are not using all six legs. To stand it up or at an angle, you only use about 3 legs. Hence why a tripod will do you much better, The extra legs just get in the way. Save your money, get a separate device claiming system and go get a gorillapod. Works everytime without fail. I'll just keep this for a movie prop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique device, works as advertised, May 23, 2013
Nice unique device. Takes up a lot of desk space in order to get as sturdy position. Body and legs made of hard plastic...seems durable though. Would like to see a limited edition version made out of aluminum...that would be cool... Excellent support for CSC cameras like Sony NEX and Fuji X.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cool camera mount, June 8, 2013
Holds my Canon T3i with a 200mm lens very well and looks pretty wicked. Very compact and secures on things pretty well. I've received a lot of compliments on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and cool all at the same time, March 12, 2013
Ok, it is larger than I was expecting. However, it is really well built and supports the various items solidly. Very versatile. And, we can't ignore the fact that it will catch people's eye and start a conversation when they see it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very adaptable little "thing"., January 23, 2013
I got this little "thing" because I am a frequent traveler (both for work and pleasure). I was looking for something that I could use whether I was in an airplane, or a car, or a hotel. Found it to be very sturdy no matter where I was. I originally got it for my iPad, but have been using it with my camera too. (Canon DSLR). I'm planning a trip to Peru and now I think bringing this will be a must!

It took a little time to figure out some of the best ways to position the legs to get the angles I wanted, but the website helped.

5.0 out of 5 stars gift for my daughter in law, December 29, 2013
she loved the idea of a low cg, close to the ground mount, still light weirht as not to slow you down, Infinatly a whole new way to hold the device youi wish to use ,look at, or do close to the ground macro photo stuff that a tripod is just too hjigh off the grount to work with. can also hod a small reflector to boucnce light around for better contrast

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design with an important caveat, December 18, 2013
Sigh!.... I love the concept and biomimicry design (like others) but, the Life-Phorm Positioning Device cannot hold my new LG G Pad 8.3. No way, no how. It's fine as a stand, but offers no way to clamp this size tablet tight, the variable bracket being either too small - in one direction - but too big in the other. Tried it on my wife's iPad, and it works as described.

I had a friend bring this to South Africa,so I am very disappointed. It works well with a phone and camera, but both these functions are secondary to my primary requirement of being able to hold the tablet stable. I am disappointed..

4.0 out of 5 stars Does its job well and has a kill looks., November 27, 2013
The real item turned out to be completely as expected on videos. However, build quality is a little bit under expectations, soft rubberfoam pads on clamps are easy to peel off and the whole construction is a little bit shaky. The manual is cheaply and rougly printed, with some typos. But all in all this is one very useful and fun device. Looks really lethal. Highly recommend it.

Rate and Discover Movies