5.0 out of 5 stars The Two Best Nature Shows in One Package!
This is simply a repackaging of two TV series that have already been released previously.

Published on April 22, 2012 by JMM

3.0 out of 5 stars Planet Earth Great, but Life doesn't play
It's not noted anywhere in the description that I saw, but the Life Blu Ray in this set is apparently encoded differently from many Blurays and won't play in many American bluray players. Google 'bbc life blu ray won't play' for a more technical explanation. I was most disappointed and may return the set and just pick up Planet Earth which was great.
Published 10 months ago by Aristophanes5485

5.0 out of 5 stars The Two Best Nature Shows in One Package!, April 22, 2012
This review is from: Life / Planet Earth: Special Edition (Both Narrated by David Attenborough) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

Having said that, these are probably the two highest-quality nature shows ever filmed, so if you don't yet own them then I highly recommend this set. These are the original BBC versions of the show, with the great narration by David Attenborough. This is the preferred way to watch these shows, because the Discovery Channel versions of the show is known to have cut/missing footage and most agree that it's a much lower-quality narration.

There are 10 discs in this set: Life is a 4-disc set, and Planet Earth: Special Edition is a 6-disc set.

The audio and video quality on these discs is outstanding. The images are vibrant and the photography is breathtaking - this is the kind of content that HDTV was meant for!

Here are the links to the individual items included:
Planet Earth (Six-Disc Special Edition) [Blu-ray]
Life (David Attenborough-Narrated Version) [Blu-ray]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series to Watch, April 22, 2012
Tim (Central Coast California) - See all my reviews
One of the best visual displays of some rare beauties of occurancies through out earth. Many parts of the film are memorizing when viewed in HD. If you have blu-ray capability, then do not buy the DVD version as this is something that needs to be watched with the best picture possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet Earth & Life BBC Series, Awesome!!!, February 6, 2012
Best visual blu-ray video, great, educational, fascinating!!! Love, love, love it!!! Good gift idea too. Get to know your planet!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy, April 22, 2012
Saw this on NatGeo or Discovery a few months ago and it was breathtaking, the HD quality is incredible and will leave you mesmerized for hours. I highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Series!, January 19, 2013
I'm currently on deployment and whenever my shipmates and I have some downtime we throw this series in and thouroughly enjoy it. David Attenborough has become a legend in our berthing and we always cheer for him whenever he first starts his narration. He brings everything to you in such a great narrative that it feels like he's personally behind each camera during every experience. Everyone on board has really enjoyed this and I encourage anyone that is considering it to purchase this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Planet Earth Great, but Life doesn't play, February 2, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable Price!!!, June 20, 2012
Just bought this complete set when I come over to US, it's almost half price compared to HK!!

Going back to the topic, I read through lots of comment, not only in Amazon, also some other sites. People arguing about the video format (1080i vs 1080p), I took a chance to test a few disc with PS3 in the office right before my flight, I picked 2 discs from Life as well as 2 from Planet Earth. Both discs picked from Life are in 1080p format while both I picked from Planet Earth are 1080i. Outside the box only 1080i is mentioned, so the description is partially correct.

From my research, the only 1080p version of Planet Earth should be the one selling in UK, and it's a 5-disc version (still 1 disc less than the US version), and with region code restrictions.

I do find little quality difference among Life & Planet Earth, but this price I would say it's unbeatable!! The only 1 star deducted is about the packaging, can it be a more rigid box rather paper?

5.0 out of 5 stars Life plays just fine..., February 7, 2014
Hoang (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
as long as you buy the version offered by Amazon.

After reading through the reviews, many of which say Life is unplayable on US bluray players or PS3s, I was extremely skeptical about this product. However, this combined edition of Life and Planet earth is the best deal around (much cheaper than bought separately, and includes all special features, as well as narration by Attenborough), I decided to take the risk. I just received the package from UPS a few minutes ago. I opened it right away and put one of the Life discs in my PS3. It works!

I have yet to watch (and re-watch) these legendary series in many days (or years) to come, but just so you know, buying it straight from Amazon (not from a third party seller) is the way to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent superb, June 18, 2012
it is the quintessensual essence of David Attenborough.
They sent this fast,carefully, and I was totally satisfied.
your friend always, Sharon

5.0 out of 5 stars PERHAPS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN ON MY TV, June 5, 2012
I have tons of blu-ray trilogies from Star Wars to Matrix to the Mummy. While I love to watch the movies for the story and action, I can honestly say my eyes love to watch this the most. The BBC series is the best eye-candy programming I have ever seen. I like it so much that I bought two more copies for no other reason than to share it family and friends in a lending-library type, where people who know me can simply borrow the other one of the copies and see and share it with their friends and family.

IMHO, anyone who gives this less than 5 stars is a person 1) who hasn't seen the blu-ray, 2) can't afford it or got the DVD versions, or 3) has in-home IMAX theater system. Get this for your friends and family, and one for yourself, too.