Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

This is simply a repackaging of two TV series that have already been released previously.

Having said that, these are probably the two highest-quality nature shows ever filmed, so if you don't yet own them then I highly recommend this set. These are the original BBC versions of the show, with the great narration by David Attenborough. This is the preferred way to watch these shows, because the Discovery Channel versions of the show is known to have cut/missing footage and most agree that it's a much lower-quality narration.

There are 10 discs in this set: Life is a 4-disc set, and Planet Earth: Special Edition is a 6-disc set.

The audio and video quality on these discs is outstanding. The images are vibrant and the photography is breathtaking - this is the kind of content that HDTV was meant for!

Here are the links to the individual items included:
Planet Earth (Six-Disc Special Edition) [Blu-ray]
Life (David Attenborough-Narrated Version) [Blu-ray]
33 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2012
One of the best visual displays of some rare beauties of occurancies through out earth. Many parts of the film are memorizing when viewed in HD. If you have blu-ray capability, then do not buy the DVD version as this is something that needs to be watched with the best picture possible.
on February 6, 2012
Best visual blu-ray video, great, educational, fascinating!!! Love, love, love it!!! Good gift idea too. Get to know your planet!
on August 2, 2015
Man, what a great series!!! So educational and makes you want to travel the world! Love that they have been able to capture our planet at this high level and that we can experience a small portion in our living room! Definitely recommend for all ages!
on May 26, 2015
Great TV series's for anyone that isn't already familiar with them. Only annoyance is that for the spines of the sleeves to face outwards, you have to put the sleeves in facing the opposite direction of the box - in other words, when resting the box face-up, you have to put the sleeves in face down to expose the spines.

Blurays add some behind the scenes features and stories that I haven't noticed on TV broadcasts or Netflix.
on December 22, 2015
I love this, my children love this, my friends and family love this. GET THIS! You will not regret it. Life is so beautiful and this collection has a way of opening your eyes to a whole new perspective.
on June 20, 2012
Just bought this complete set when I come over to US, it's almost half price compared to HK!!

Going back to the topic, I read through lots of comment, not only in Amazon, also some other sites. People arguing about the video format (1080i vs 1080p), I took a chance to test a few disc with PS3 in the office right before my flight, I picked 2 discs from Life as well as 2 from Planet Earth. Both discs picked from Life are in 1080p format while both I picked from Planet Earth are 1080i. Outside the box only 1080i is mentioned, so the description is partially correct.

From my research, the only 1080p version of Planet Earth should be the one selling in UK, and it's a 5-disc version (still 1 disc less than the US version), and with region code restrictions.

I do find little quality difference among Life & Planet Earth, but this price I would say it's unbeatable!! The only 1 star deducted is about the packaging, can it be a more rigid box rather paper?
on December 25, 2012
This is a great collection! my kids (6 & 8) love it! Beautiful cinematography and narration! and they have a "how it was filmed" segment for each chapter.

CONTENT: 5 of 5 stars

One of the best documentary series I've ever seen! My children alternate between Life and Planet Earth. we're about halfway thru, there are many hours of entertainment here. This is one of the times where I fully appreciate HD1080p resolution!

PACKAGING :3 of 5 stars

well, the combo box packaging is actually hard to get the sets out of. I've considered several times taking the discs out and putting them in their own CD zip case, if nothing else to keep from wearing out the box set.
on January 19, 2013
I'm currently on deployment and whenever my shipmates and I have some downtime we throw this series in and thouroughly enjoy it. David Attenborough has become a legend in our berthing and we always cheer for him whenever he first starts his narration. He brings everything to you in such a great narrative that it feels like he's personally behind each camera during every experience. Everyone on board has really enjoyed this and I encourage anyone that is considering it to purchase this.
on January 25, 2013
I am so amazed by the shows BBC puts out. This is __THE BEST__ filming, storytelling, and editing you can get on this subject. Some of the shots they got were simply breathtaking. They almost seem staged.

I love the little behind the scenes they have at the end of the episodes that talk about how much of a mission these films are. I don't even own a Blu-Ray player, but I bought this to show my support and hope they continue to make these great films.