Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on March 21, 2011
For most of us, the difference between a fulfilling life well lived and its opposite is not the lack of some revelation that we have never considered before. It is the consistency with which we align our time and our effort and our habits to those values we hold most dear.

Unlike most authors of "self-help" and inspirational books (or business books for that matter), Atkins is not concerned with filling enough pages to justify a book deal, nor it seems is he trying to launch a career on the speaking circuit. This frees him from the tendency in these genres to find six ways to make the same point, or to claim some "breakthrough" approach to happiness. In refreshingly clear and concise terms, he "just" does what we all would do for ourselves, if we had the focus and self-discipline to do it: makes a thoughtful list of the main tenets and practices that lead to a happy life, with just enough explanation of each to make it useful. The result is not a guru's tome to be pondered over many nights until it is left half unread on the bedside table. It is a clear, compelling, and dead-on accurate field guide to good living, which we can keep in our pocket in the great walk of life.

As the author says, it only takes an hour to read the book. I for one will re-invest that hour every 6 months or so, and I'm sure it will be worthwhile each time.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2011
I once asked my grandfather why human actions are so frequently disconnected from common sense. He said, "Common sense is so obvious that most people miss it, the way they miss a beautiful sunset."

This book is full of the common sense that many of the people whom I've observed in Life have missed. For example, "Persistent curiosity, combined with susained focus on reasonable goals, will change your life."

As a life-long fan both of common sense and of the few writers who can communicate it concisely and precisely, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. My one criticism is that it should be much longer.
on August 14, 2011
This book is a must read for people of various ages. It offers life lessons for those young adults starting out on life and it is equally valuable to people throughout their lives who struggle with choices and dilemmas. It is a roadmap for finding and keeping to one's path.
on August 19, 2013
This book is a compilation of most generic wisdom bits -- common truths expressed in bland language, neither engaging nor very actionable. The author is just chatting away contentedly, a spoonful of this, a little bit of that - like an elder sharing his tried and true advice for the umpteenth time. And then it is over.

We live in an epoch when the publishing industry is highly differentiated and very clever - every book you read nowadays has some sort of "personality," is written from some specific "angle," it has a "hook," so to say. This one doesn't. The author doesn't have a "method" from which he is approaching his subject (or rather, his many subjects). It is just common regurgitated wisdom that every adult could dispense, like: "Try Not to Worry", "Laugh", or "Build Character and Make Friends" (these were actually chapter headings). Or passages like: "Habits form when we are young, and solidify before we know it. So forming the right habits early is critical, whether that means eating well, exercising, saving money or being honest". or: "The people with whom we associate can have a huge impact on the development of our personalities, particularly when we're young." I guarantee you already know everything in this book. It focuses or nothing in particular, it talks about everything in general. I am delighted that it is as short as it is - this would be an angry review otherwise.

The ONLY use I can see for this book is as a gift for teens and young people. They probably will find said truths more fresh. But even they are so sharp nowadays, they might have heard those things already from a rectitudinous grandma or some other gab-tongued goody-goody.

Thanks for reading my review and, if it was helpful for you to get a feel for this book, I'd really appreciate a click on the "yes" button.
on August 5, 2011
Full disclosure, I know Mr. Atkins and I can say from personal experience that he writes the way he talks -- concise, pragmatic, heart felt and to the point. He doesn't waste his own time or yours. Nothing you will read in his book is new--we all know the contents to be true but so easy to forget when external pressures and concerns act to push us off track. As Atkins reminds us, we typically only see the end results of other people's effort, rarely are we exposed to the hard work, sweat and focus required behind personal achievement. If you've forgotten or are feeling discouraged that it seems to be taking you more work, instructive failures or effort than the next man or woman, take the time to read this book and be reminded that you're exactly where you ought to be or can soon be back on your way. A life well lived is a creative act and this book is an excellent and simple set of observations and reminders to help.
on June 3, 2011
Life is Short is a great read that I would recommend to just about anyone. As promised by the author, it is a very quick, enjoyable read, full of common sense ideas that its just too easy to forget in our day-to-day lives. I expect I will read it again from time to time, and I will definitely encourage my children to read it as well.
on January 21, 2016
A compilation of self-evident and pithy ideas with discussions on how and when to implement them into you schedule and goals. A book to peruse for useful ideas to contemplate, assimilate and incorporate. Keep handy for repeated use and inspiration.
on May 10, 2011
"Life is Short And So Is This Book: Brief Thoughts on Making The Most Of Your Life" is a book for all! Whether you are searching for meaning in your own life, trying to find a path to happiness or just looking for a good read, this book is for you! The beauty of it is Atkins' ability to strip away the extra "fluff" that can often be found in other inspirational and "self-help" books, allowing the reader to focus on and apply the lessons stated to their own life to find meaning and understanding. It is a great read, written from the perspective of a friend who shares some of his life's lessons and asks you to simply listen. This book doesn't preach to the reader and doesn't claim to have all the answers, but it does make you think about who you are and the way that you live your life. No matter who you are or where you are coming from, this book is a great read to help you realign your purpose and drive in life with one that leads to satisfaction and happiness.
on March 16, 2016
I found this book very interesting. It points to the many things that we take for granted if life. What we need to do is stop and relizes that if something or someone not filling our lives, then we move on to find the happiness we need...
on January 1, 2015
A nice little book to read, but nothing we all don't already know. But it is a nice reminder about whats important in life. I would recommend reading it. Sometimes we all need a reminder on how to live and sort out our lives. A good little book. Short too, which is nice.