Life of Pi Discussion Questions
1. A central theme is that belief in something implausible is to be preferred to 'dry yeastless factuality'. Compare and contrast this mindset with the mindset of investors in the recently collapsed Madoff's investment firm.
2. Describe the mechanics by which a tiger could get from the ocean into a small life boat and then conceal itself under a tarpaulin.
3. During a shipwreck, the procedure should be "Orangutans and Tigers first" rather than "Women and Children" first. Discuss.
4. A priest, an imam and a pandit walk by the sea and meet an atheist. In turn, imagine and describe the disappointment they each experience when they realize Pi has forsaken the true path of their respective faiths.
5. The first part of the book contains many descriptive passages on various topics, for example the speed at which a sloth moves or the quality of water in Parisian swimming pools. Pick one of these topics and expand at length.