5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product & Good Company
I have owned a lot of exercise equipment, and the Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer is a very good machine. Unlike some others I have tried, it has a very smooth action, is quiet, and is easy to use. It's also smaller than several other models I've tested, so it fits nicely in most rooms. Further, because it is lightweight and has two front wheels, it's easy to...
Published on July 15, 2009 by Steve B.

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for
I had very high hopes from this elliptical because it was Consumer Reports best buy and had generally positive web reviews. However

- The plastic flywheel casing was significantly cracked with some shards coming off. It didn't affect the functionality, so I decided to not deal with the hassle of returning it.

- The computer's manual (amazing copied...
Published on July 10, 2010 by rk

4.0 out of 5 stars LifeCore Elliptical pretty good, February 1, 2010
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
This machine is a decent at home machine. My husband was able to put it together quite easily and it arrived faster then they said it would. One thing that is totally different then the ones I was used to using like say at the Y, is the fact that although the motion is pure elliptical the distance front to back is not large at all leaving me with the sensation of a stair master more then elliptical. It gives a great work out. It is not the most user friendly computer however, once you play around with it you get it. The heartrate monitor is wonderful. One down side and for me a big one because I like to read a lot, no book holder available to add on. If you want quality with a decent workout in your home get it. Its perfect. Also, one thing very important to a lot of people, it doesn't take up very much room at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, June 10, 2009
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
This is a good mid-priced machine that was easy to put together, very sturdy, well engineered, and relatively easy to use. I say relatively easy only because my wife who is the main user complained some when getting the computer dialed in. In all we are very pleased and I know my wife already recommmended this to someone at her work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality at a fair price, February 6, 2010
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
After researching ellipticals for months and not finding a consensus on any brand or machine, we had kind of given up on finding a good reasonably priced machine and were resigned to spending more than planned. Then we came across the Lifecore LC-985VG which had consistently good user reviews and a Best Buy rating from Consumer Reports. We found it for a delivered price of $971 and it arrived several days sooner than expected. Except for a couple of minor omissions in the assembly instructions, it was easy to put together with the included tools. So far this elliptical has worked smoothly and quietly with absolutely no mechanical issues. The compact size and weight is also a big plus compared to many other units, yet it feels very solid. The dual sets of hand grips with heart rate sensors are convenient and work well.

However, we do have two criticisms: first, the computer's operation and programming is not intuitive and limited in its options. Second, there is no place to put down a TV remote, hang a towel or lay out a book or magazine. A better computer and convenience accessories would have earned this machine a 5th star.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disaster - Company Does Not Stand By Its Product, February 7, 2011
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
Generally, I don't post reviews because I'm usually pleased with products. I don't have high standards.

But my experience with LifeCore has been exceptionally disappointing. Simply, find another elliptical company to give your business to.

Our story - after perhaps 10 uses, our elliptical died. Major computer/motor malfunction. I can forgive a company from occasionally producing a dud - it happens. But in such instances the company should make every effort to address the default and replace the product. LifeCore has given us the run-around...and moreover been rude to us on the phone. I've asked them multiple times to allow us to ship the dud back to the company for a replacement and they refuse. After an endless series of phone calls and technician visits, our elliptical remains in a thousand pieces.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!, March 31, 2011
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
I did my reseach and bought this elliptcial in October 2009. I operated the elliptical every day for two months for 30 minutes each session. In December 2009 the computer and motor died. I called the company and all they would do is send out a replacement motor and computer with instructions how to do the installation. Installing the computer is simple. However, installing a new motor is another thing. You have to take the entire machine apart, remove the old motor and cabling which takes a couple of hours. Then, you have to hand feed the new motor cable through the frame of the elliptical(if you don't have skinny hands and don't like to bleed, don't attempt to do this) and put the machine back together and pray everything works. Machine ran OK until March 2011. The motor died again. I called the company and they sent me out a replacement motor and I installed it. When the motor fails for the third time . . .

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS FROM AMAZON! BEWARE, January 14, 2010
J. Paul (Danbury, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
My wife and I decided to purchase this machine after extensive research and decided to buy it from amazon. It arrived fairly promptly (5 days). However upon opening the package I quickly noticed that the plastic housing for the machine was cracked, and some of it was completely missing. As I unpacked the machine I found literally hundreds of tiny plastic pieces that had broken off during shipping. I decided to at least attempt to assemble this and figured maybe I could just get a replacement shell. It went together very easily, however once I got it together I noticed that the computer was not functional. It would turn on, but there must have been loose wires or broken components because the only thing that displayed on the the screen was a bunch of jibberish and random lights and symbols. As you can imagine I was quite frustrated.

So now I have this machine all put together, most of the packing material along with the box is almost completely disintegrated, because of the poor packaging.

So I call up amazon customer service. I get someone from India who I can barely understand and who barely understands me. I can tell she is trying to help me and she sounded very sincere, but she could not help me.

I got off the phone with her and tried again. Eventually, I got in touch with a manager who knew what he was doing. Here comes the best part... wait for it... wait for it...

IF THIS ITEM IS DAMAGED, YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR GETTING IT TO A SHIPPING CENTER AS WELL AS PAYING FOR SHIPPING, BECAUSE IT MUST BE INSURED - THE SHIPPER CANNOT PICK IT UP, AND AMAZON CANNOT PAY FOR SHIPPING. (They offer to reimburse you in 4-6 weeks!!!!)

Why would they want it insured?! ITS ALREADY BROKEN!!!

So naturally I literally screamed. The manager offered to call me the next morning and get a tracking number from me and refund me for the shipping right away. I was hesitant, but alas, its all he could do. So I agreed.

Now I am left with a poor excuse for a box, shambles of packing material and an elliptical that doesn't work. Not to mention I live in a THIRD FLOOR CONDO WITH NO ELEVATOR.

Needless to say, I spent over 4 hours assembling, and disassembling this thing and getting it into my car by MYSELF. That's right, I had to slide this thing down the stairs, and flip it end over end into the trunk of my honda accord. I can't lift 130 lbs by myself. And even if I could, the box is about 7 feet long. Way too bulky to balance on your shoulder.

I am surprised this thing didn't explode out of the box, I had to buy my own packing tape to reinforce the box.

Ok, there's an ending coming, I promise. I get the box to my ups store and get it shipped. I had to pay $163 to ship this thing! Fortunately customer service called me the next morning and refunded my money as promised. Then the shipment finally gets there, and I get an email saying amazon has processed my refund and I will be receiving a credit of $724 (and change). What the? I paid 899 for this?!

So I have to call customer service again and go through my life story and explain that the $163 they paid me was for the shipping I had to pay to ship it back. The customer service lady then replies, "Well if it arrived broken you shouldn't be responsible for shipping it, we should pick it up." DUH! I then told her that It was amazons policy that they had to have this thing insured, and there was no way around it.

I can't really comment on the functionality of this thing, because I only tried it for a few minutes, and the computer was not functional. It did however rock back and forth from side to side and feel quite flimsy to me. (I am 6'1' and about 200 lbs).

Please do yourself a favor, and DO NOT BUY THIS FROM AMAZON. Go to your local gym store and get it or another elliptical. Most of them offer 0% financing for 6 months or a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm satisfied, June 28, 2011
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
I researched treadmills and ellipticals for a couple months before I finally bought this one. It was recommended to me by my dad who has the same model, although he paid $1,000 for his. The selling point for me was when I found it on sale on Amazon for $610 dollars. The freight company that Amazon used to deliver it called me about a week after I ordered it and said they needed to schedule a day for them to drop it off and I needed to be available from 9am-5pm. I didn't want to take a day off of work to sit around and wait for a delivery so the freight company said I could come to their warehouse and pick it up. I have a truck, so that's what I did. Getting it into my house by myself was difficult because of the weight. I would recommend having a second person help you carry it if you can. The assembly was pretty straightforward. I put it together in 45 minutes and I didn't need to look at the instructions once, but I'm an engineer and I put things together all day long. There were a few minor scratches on the outer plastic pieces, but they were hardly noticeable and don't affect the functionality of the machine. I was looking for a way to get a good cardio workout and I am pleased with the results I am getting. The first few times I used it I had to push myself to stay on for more than 30 minutes, but it gets easier to stay on longer and increase the resistance everyday. It helps to watch TV or have some music on to keep your mind occupied. I have used the elliptical for 30-45 minutes / 5 days a week for the past 4 weeks and I am loving the results I'm seeing. I recommend this elliptical for someone willing to spend a lot of time on it, but because it is expensive you have to commit to really using it to get a good value. Otherwise you might be better off getting a gym membership so you can alternate your cardio workouts between different machines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mechanical action, poor user interface, January 10, 2010
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
As delivered, the box containing the LifeCore LC985VG Elliptical Cross Trainer was only in one piece courtesy of yards of packing tape applied by UPS. The box was far too flimsy to hold equipment weighing well over 100 pounds. I accepted deliver reluctantly, but happily the damaged internal packing materials protected the contents.
This device is mostly preassembled especially when compared with similar exercise equipment from other manufacturers. Being able to view assembly instructions for this kind of equipment on-line is essential. LC985VG assembly instructions were relatively clear although they could be improved on two points. Step 5 quite correctly informs the assembler that a second person is required to connect the computer to the motor/flywheel. However, even in a brightly illuminated room a flashlight or better yet a headlamp would help the person making the connection. Step 5 does not make clear how critical it is that this connection be firm and solid. Only when the entire machine is assembled can this connection be tested, and returning to Step 5 would be an irritating and time consuming process of disassembly. Also, step 5 or the beginning of step 6 omits the need to place the "hat cover" (a plastic sleeve) onto the upright tube. In step 6 the user is told to attach six bolts and then to slide the hat cover over those bolts. At that point it is too late to slide the hat cover over the bolts unless the bolts just put in place are removed. This sleeve is cosmetic except that it covers what amounts to a black hole for bolts and washers. I elected not to add the hat cover and quickly lost a washer. No spare parts are included for this kind of problem.
All necessary tools are provided, but a bright flashlight or head lamp is very useful especially when attaching the computer/control panel with four small black screws under the panel and the foot pedals. Also, I had to tap one bolt with a hammer (almost any hard object would have been sufficient) to clear metal shavings that were partly blocking a hole.
The mechanical action of the LC985VG is very smooth although I have only used it for an hour, so only time will tell whether it remains that way.
The computer/control panel is horribly designed, and the printed manual is badly written. I had hoped that the DVD that accompanies the LC985VG would help, but it is devoted almost entirely to exercise and not the device itself. One problem with the manual is that it appears to be written for two models of this machine. For example, it references a MODE key when there is no such key on the model I have. Similarly, the manual references UP and Down keys that are no where in evidence. The latter is a trivial matter because my model contains a knob that is turned clockwise for up and counterclockwise for down, but it is symptomatic of the poor quality of the manual. The computer's menu structure makes everything irritating. For example, at one point I tried to change the calorie setting, but instead I ended up changing the resistance level.
This machine comes with 12 preset exercise profiles with automatically varying resistance levels. By trial and error with little understanding of what I am doing I have been able to select one of the profiles. The mark of a well designed computer interface is that its use is obvious on its face. The LC985VG interface is user hostile.
The mangled shipping box, less than perfect assembly instructions, and stupidly designed and badly documented controls aside, this device compares favorably to much more expensive commercial equipment that I have used especially since it takes up much less space.

1.0 out of 5 stars Received damaged and noisy product, November 27, 2010
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
We were very excited about receiving our new elliptical, but as we opened the package, quickly realized that the body of the machine was cracked. We first spoke with the manufacturer who under the warranty claimed they could only send us a replacement part which we would need to replace ourselves. They also mentioned that since only the body of the elliptical was cracked it should work without problems even if we had trouble replacing the damaged part.

Since we were worried about causing more damage to the product while replacing the part, we began using the elliptical as is and found that after only about 5 uses, it began squeaking and making an unbearable noise during use. One of the main reasons we bought this product was that we read in the reviews that it was very quiet, which was important to us with our newborn in the adjacent room. By then we had missed the return window with Amazon, and since neither Amazon nor the manufacturer would take responsibility for our damaged product, we decided to try to replace the damaged part ourselves. After a day of trying to remove tiny screws that were barely visible (we even bought a special screwdriver) we have now given up and will likely never get any use out of our new elliptical.

This was the first time we ever bought such a large and expensive product on Amazon, and needless to say we have learned our lesson. The Consumer Reports review gave us hope that this would be a great purchase, but for us it has ended in great disappointment. I'm sure this is generally a satisfactory product, but beware that this type of purchase is not without risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars best small elliptical in the industry, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
i spent 3 months researching the elliptical industry, talking to numerous stores, online retailers, trainers and friends and i remembered a college buddy, who owns a small fitness specialty store so i gave him a call. he carries ellipticals ranging in price from 800.00 up to 5000.00 but told me to come in and try out this small elliptical that he said was built "like a tank" and was much smaller than anything else in it's quality range. i went into his shop and tried out the lifecore 985 vg and i was blown away. it feels like a commercial elliptical but much much smaller and easy to move. i am now in my 7th month using the unit and it is as solid and sound as day one. i love this machine. i travel for business and it feels like a smaller version of the 7000.00 units i see at the fancy hotels. i cannot say enough about the quality and value of lifecore.

Lifecore LC-985VG Elliptical Trainer