Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games

on June 9, 2014
After reading a bunch of different reviews from a bunch of different cases, I decided to buy the LifeProof fre for my Galaxy S3. The first thing I did when I received it was check out all of the little things that people who gave it bad reviews complained about.

Water test - Did fine. No leaks. So far so good. Used it in the pool with the kids. No problems even when submerged for a while.

Muffled sound when receiving calls - Everything I got came in loud and clear and when playing media through the reverse side speaker, I only got a slight muffling of the sound. Certainly nothing that I care to complain about.

Charging cable incompatibility - Tested it with the four different micro-usb chargers that I have, including the car charger and had no problems. There was a slight snug feeling with one of them, but nothing that was of any real significance.

Blu-tooth - Worked fine for me. Connected it to my portable speaker and stood across the room with no problems.

Pictures come out hazy - No problems here.

Fall test - Still haven't dropped it. But I'm trying not to, haha.

The only drawback I have experienced so far is that the case adds a little bit more bulk and the back and menu buttons at the bottom are a little bit less accessible. Other than that, so far, so good. I really feel that the negative reviews are one of two things: (1) either the product they received was defective, or (2) the person using it is defective. Hate to say it, but having worked retail at an electronic store I'd say more than half of what we got returned as defective is tested and found to be in perfect working order.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2013
This is probably the best case for a cell phone I have ever owned. Its slim enough, especially when compared to any of the Otterbox cases, and does what its says.

Quality- I have read a few on here that talk about it feeling cheap. This in no way feels cheap to me. Feels very durable, firm, secure and protective.

Functionality/Design- First off- I have owned Otterbox Defenders on almost every phone that I have owned. The commonality being that I remove the built-in screen protector because they just become laggy or unresponsive for me. This case, however, is the opposite. It is completely functional with the built-in screen protector. I have not noticed a response difference between the phone with the case on or off. I have no issues with the headphone jack or the usb port. I don't use the micr-usb cables with the fat ends because I feel like they aren't as efficient, so I have no issues with charging the phone. I have the Beats by Dre ear buds and they connect perfectly. The volume and power button are just right. Not too much pressure is required, but also not too lax. I originally was being told my voice was distorted from other callers at first, but that seems to have corrected itself. Sound either from the speaker or headset sounds perfect. I don't have any issues with bluetooth connectivity either.

Protection- I definitely feel like my phone is protected. Water submersion is a blast, though I was skeptical at first. And I am prone to dropping my phone and this phone has protected it well with no effect on my phone. I also have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and I have no worries about them playing with my phone. This is by far the most at ease I have felt with any case before.

Value- I don't usually buy the insurance through my carrier, so the $80 is well worth it. I have no worries about my phone now that it is certainly lifeproof. I would gladly buy another on my next phone.

I would definitely recommend this case to anyone with an active lifestyle, or who happen to be accident prone- like myself.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2013
After looking at having to replace my OtterBox for the 4th time, I decided to try something else. The Lifeproof case is what it says and more:

- Getting your phone back out of the case-proof. You will need a screwdriver or something similar to pry the case back apart.

- Staying powered on-proof. The case is so tight that doing anything to the power button other than giving it a light touch is going to turn the phone off. This is probably why the case is drop proof. When your phone decides to shut itself off when you're attempting an important call, you're gonna throw it.

- Charging-proof. The hole to put a charger in is very small. A Samsung charger fits and so do most Rocketfish car chargers. Don't have one? Prepare to go all McGuyver meets National Treasure with your keys to get the case off just so you can charge it.

- Staying waterproof-proof. There is a little yellow rubber band that is the seal to keep the case waterproof. This seal is in no way, shape or form attached to the case. You will need to put your phone in while holding the case face down for it to stay. If you ever have to take the case off, keep an eye out for a flying yellow band that is getting away as fast as possible.

- Bluetooth-proof. With the case on, my phone can't find my Bluetooth headset. I can set my Bluetooth on the phone and it will still be unable to find it. Between this and the not working with all chargers thing, this is a horrible case for someone who spends a lot of time in the car.

I didn't give it the lowest rating because it's still a semi-good case. It doesn't look like it can just fall apart like the OtterBox and since the case is sealed, the screen stays clean and bright. If it was about $40-$50 cheaper, it'd be a pretty good case.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2013
I posted this review on the Lifeproof site but it was never published ... no surprise as it is a real world review.

Durability - 4 stars
Design - 2 stars
Protection - 5 stars
Value - 3 stars
Overall - 3.5ish stars

Your Review (submitted on September 4, 2013):

I currently have an iPhone 5 for my job and it has a Lifeproof case on it. It is a great product and have talked several co-workers into getting the case. My review is based on on using the Lifeproof on my iPhone and then getting one for my personal Samsung S3.

First - The Good
Yes every one knows why we buy these cases. I'm not going to go into all the feature. May other people have done that and I'm sure many more will. I will say the screen protector has the best feel of ANYTHING I have used.

Second - The so-so
Audio
On my iPhone the case work amazingly well. I think it even makes the speaker phone louder by using the back of the case to amplify the sound. That is NOT the case on the S3 case. The external speaker used for the ringer, speaker phone, etc is rather muffled. If the phone is in my pocket and I'm in my car its easy to miss the phone ringing. I do have all my volumes max and its still an issue.

Ports
Head phones - I was very disappointed to see a rubber stopper for the headphone plug. I was expecting the same screw in adapter as my iPhone case had. Now if I were use use an aux cable on my motorcycle the case would not be waterproof. I could use Bluetooth, but the aux connections used less power the phone and on my iPhone it would retain the full protection. It would appear this is a cost cutting measure while not wanting to over invest in a known market share. I know plenty of runners, cyclists, and tri people that wouldn't buy the case on this issue alone.

Charging - On my iPhone every cord works without issue. Keep in mind Apple tightly controls every part of the iPhone and makes sure every plug is same size. Samsung uses an open standard USB port and everyone is just a little different. This makes creating a correctly sized opening difficult. The S3 case could do a better job of accommodating different sized USB cables or an provide an adapter/extender.

Fit and Feel
Over all the fit and feel is very good. Its not as good as my iPhone case, but still very good.

Quality
The quality is very good, but there are small flaws in the case. The back plate has small imperfections and do not effect the performance. At the price point for the case I would not expect to see these kind of things. Also my iPhone case doesn't have these.

Final - Overall
Over all the case is good and does what it says it will do. At the price point I do think it falls short. For me the case falls short when comparing it to the more established iPhone 5 case.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2014
It does what it was designed to do,it is not pretty but it works well, it will protect your phone
on March 23, 2014
The first time I dropped my new phone inside my new lifeproof case from less than a foot off the ground ... the screen shattered. :-( Even though it had the "screen protector" with it.
on February 16, 2015
Only bad thing about this case is that when you try and use speaker phone, the people on the other end get a REALLY bad echo. That's the reason for giving 4 stars instead of 5.
Other than that the case does what it says. Adding protection to your phone doesn't make it look better, or make it stay the same size. so the people complaining about this are idiots. if you didn't test your cases waterproof ability before putting it on your phone, you are also an idiot. and of course the phone case fits very tightly because it has a rubber gasket that must be sealed in there to make your phone waterproof. So if this in one of your complaints, you are an idiot. And to those that say you can't get your charger into the opening, I have had no problems with this either. Maybe that's what you get for buying the cheapest charger you could find for your phone?
I'm not one of those people that has to have the brand new phone that comes out every six months, so I needed something that would offer the best protection for my phone. And so far this is working very well. I recommend this product to anybody wanting to make their phone waterproof. if you are clumsy, or one of those people that can't live without their phone in their hand all day long, how many times do you think you can drop your phone before it lands just the right way to break it, with or without a case?
on April 2, 2014
Yes I recommend this case! It still fits in my pocket! I work with horses and it works great for protection for sure! I love this case!
on August 25, 2014
I bought this for a new Galaxy SIII that I got though my carrier's insurance plan. The call clarity was very clear without the case, but with the case it sounded as though I was hearing calls through a broken speaker. Would not buy again or recommend.
on November 10, 2014
I bought this case for 35 dollars with shipping. Without telling my friends that I bought it, I bet each of them (at different times) 20 bucks that I would drop my phone in a sink FULL of water, and could recover it. They all accepted the bet, thinking that I wouldn't actually do it.

Needless to say, between my 4 closest friends (so far), this case has actually paid itself off, made me $45, AND protected my phone flawlessly from two accidental drops, and water related pranks/bets. (If you count each time I dropped it, it would have been $100 to repair it each time, for a grand total of $245+ the cost to fix water damage)

Very good quality case, arrived on time, was super easy to put on my phone, and the best part is that it was basically free after I pranked my first two friends.

I would very highly recommend this product to anyone. Especially if they wanted to have some fun with it.

All in all, great case. It is one of the best purchases I ever made.