4.0 out of 5 stars Good, simple, solid unit
I type this as I walk at 2mph on the treadmill in my home office.

Published on January 17, 2012 by Eclectic Teacher

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine machine, but has this squeak that drives me crazy.
Published 15 months ago by Peace of Mind

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, simple, solid unit, January 17, 2012
This review is from: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I type this as I walk at 2mph on the treadmill in my home office.

The desk is a fairly solid unit that comes in five almost stupidly easy to assemble pieces (not counting nuts'n'bolts). It's not hard to adjust to get it to the right height, though changing it regularly for multiple users would be a real pain. The controls at the front of the desk are fairly unobtrusive, quite intuitive, and quite literally easy enough for my five-year-old to use (he thinks it cool, and keeps asking to use it before school for five or ten minutes - he hops on, starts it up with me nearby, walks and trots for a little while, stops it, and says "thanks, dad.")

The treadmill part comes totally preassembled, and you just have to unpack it and roll it into place. It seems to work just as you'd expect, and feels solid under my feet. It plugs into the desk with a really simple, only-one-possible-way to plug it together plug to connect it to the desk controls. The wires run almost entirely interior to the desk leg, an elegant solution. While in use, it's very quiet. I've not had it long enough to comment on its durability, but so far so good.

A few quirks and short-comings:
My biggest annoyance is that it doesn't plug into your computer via a USB or something to track your long term progress, and if you pull the dead-man stop it resets all your mileage / time, etc. (I have an earlier non-Bluetooth version). It's easy enough to make a simple spreadsheet to track it all, but having it reset means you are making best-guesses only. Also, it doesn't remember your "normal" speed, and beeps every time you hit a button (company says it's a safety requirement, can't change it), so if you hit PAUSE to take a quick look at something away from the unit, when you get back you hit START, wait for the countdown to beep four times, then start (with a slow wind-up to 0.4 mph), then hit the speed-up button 15 times (1/10th mph increments) to get it up to 2 mph, beeping all the way. Also, if you had stopped it with the dead-man switch, you have to start by reconfirming your weight, too. Not end-of-the-world problems by any means, but annoying to not have those user-settable. For an elderly or infirm person who might max out at 1.5 mph, maybe the slow start up is a great safety feature. For a healthy younger person, it's bothersome. If it were not for the relatively modest annoyances, I'd give it five stars.

The two large and heavy boxes were delivered promptly, and if you are not the strongest person or need to get it into someplace awkward like a back room or upstairs office, I'd recommend having a strong young back or two to assist. The packaging is good, and there is enough cardboard to fill your recycling bin or keep the kids entertained for hours.

Personally, I think 2.5 mph is great for just surfing the net. Two mph works for most typing. 1.5 mph is for drinking coffee and more serious typing, and about 1 mph for eating breakfast with a plate under it while surfing the web before the coffee kicks in. Munching on chips while walking seems to be right out if you want to keep things clean and not have a pile of debris at the back to the tread - of course, this is a feature for waistline management, rather than a bug.

It's likely not the best unit to get you in shape for a marathon. But if you get out of breath heading to the fridge for another 12 ounces of inspiration, or just want to be able to keep up with the kids for a while longer, the LifeSpan TR1200-DT might be just the thing to get you off your butt while still being somewhat productive in front of a screen. Approx two miles were walked during the writing of this review.

100-mile update: I have now walked about 100 miles on the TR1200, in a bit under three weeks. Most miles walked in a day was almost ten, most time was over five hours, and the averages are climbing steadily. I've lubed the tread once; it was not to difficult, but you should lay down a paper towel or something to catch any errant drips or splashes of the silicone lubricant on the side rails, and even without any tube it still shoots into the middle of the belt pretty well. It doesn't seem like you need anywhere near a full ounce to lube the tread, either. I opted for the Treadmill Doctor tread lube over the LifeSpan product - seems to be the same stuff at a lower cost per application, and it appears to work.

200-mile update: 30 days, 4 pounds, and about 96 hours spent walking later, I've hit 200 miles. (most miles in one day, 11.35; most time, 5:45)
- The manual recommend popping off the cover and cleaning the motor compartment every 150 miles, but it doesn't provide directions. It's simple: unplug the unit, roll it out from under the desk, loosen up the four obvious screws a bit, pop the cover off, vacuum, pop the cover back on, slide it back under, and plug it back together. If you leave the screws loose at that point, you'll not have to slide it out for future cleanings.
- The step counter doesn't seem to work very well - some 5 mile days it says 800 steps, some 5-mile days it says 4000.
- The beeps, the lack of "remembering" my normal starting speed, and lack of computer interface / tracking are still annoying.
- Spraying lube on the tread deck is still awkward and a little messy if you are not careful, but it really does help to hit it every 50 miles or so with some silicone.
- I'm definitely sleeping better, and it's helped my wrist / arm / shoulder a lot, because the position for keyboard & mouse are more natural than when I was sitting.

900 mile update: Unit still seems to be going strong. Averaging a bit more than 5 miles per day that I use it. A used "D" cell battery seems to be just the right size to stick under the belt on the tread deck to hold it up while lubing; a 10ml oral syringe works great for holding a dose of belt lube, sticking under and squirting around (it also fits into the lube bottle neck perfectly). Another commenter's method of silencing the beep by shooting a little hot craft glue into the speaker works great-quick, easy, effective, doesn't void warranty. I strongly recommend comfy shoes, comfy shorts or other "non-binding" clothing, and a location with good ventilation or an easily-mounted under-desk fan, especially in warm weather. I don't have a secondary sitting desk with a computer, so I could really use a good tall stool or saddle-chair or something to sit in from time to time, something that will go on the tread-deck and be stable, but small enough to easily set aside when walking (suggestions welcome on this).

2000 mile update: Still going strong at 2000 miles and 935 hours of walking in about 5/4 years. One minor software bug: when it hits 1000 miles, and again now at 2000 miles, the odometer rolls over to zero when you check total distance in Engineering mode. If you are tracking on a spreadsheet to keep accurate count, you need to bear that in mind. I don't know if it also happens at 1000 hours, but I'll check and report here then. The more recent "Bluetooth" version may have this fixed - I reported it at the 1000 mile roll-over in the middle of last year when I noticed it. Still like the unit.

1,000 hour update - yup, rolls back to 0 hours after you hit the thousand mark, too.

3,000 mile update - rolled it over again, still ticking right along.

4,000 mile roll-over update: Still no problems with the unit, still looking for the perfect seat for "down times" and when dealing with minor (unrelated) foot problems.

5,000 miles rolled over, in 2341 hours, still seems to be doing fine. Lube it from time to time, dust it occasionally, no problems of note.

Definitely happy with the purchase, and would recommend it to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars My impressions after the first week of use, April 27, 2012
WorknMan "worknman" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk (Sports)
When I first started looking into this product, I was a bit concerned about the fact that there were a lot of glowing reviews here from people who haven't reviewed anything else. That is usually a red flag that something fishy is going on. However, I also found several other glowing recommendations elsewhere, so decided to take the plunge.

Now that I've had this thing for about a week, I can confirm that it is as good as everyone says it is. That being said, there are aspects of owning a product like this that most people may not consider, and it is mostly these things that I want to touch on in this review. Buying a treadmill desk is like bringing a dog home - you will probably love it, but you really need to understand what you're getting yourself into. So, I'm here to offer the following impressions about this treadmill desk, along with some pieces of advice:

- From the very beginning, typing seemed very easy for me while walking on this thing. Unfortunately, mouse precision took a pretty serious hit. This probably won't be a problem if you're a typical office worker and/or spend most of your day typing. But if you do a lot of mousing (like me), this could be a problem. In my case, using the mouse while on the treadmill is getting easier over time as I get more used to it, plus it is forcing me to use shortcut keys more to save time, so I guess that can only be a good thing :) I'm also getting more familiar with the AutohotKey scripting language (Windows), which you can use to actually program macros and stuff across different apps, which can take the place of mouse movements and clicks. When I first got the treadmill, I couldn't go any faster than 0.5mph before I could no longer control the mouse. Now I'm up to 1.0, and I can go as fast as 1.5, depending on what I'm doing.

- I saw it suggested on several blogs that you should start with a standup desk before 'graduating' to a treadmill desk. Well, being someone who has had a standup desk for several months, I can say even from day one, I could go longer on the treadmill desk than I ever could with the standup, primarily because it seems that walking is a lot easier than standing in one place. Thus, I think you'll have a much easier time adjusting to walking on a treadmill for long periods of time, as opposed to just standing in one place.

- Unless you're a long distance walker already, this isn't the sort of thing where you're going to get on and walk for 6 hours on your first day. After an hour or two, your legs and feet will probably be screaming for some respite :) Thus, I will recommend what I recommended in my standup desk review; it's probably a good idea to have a sitting desk beside your treadmill, and have a dual monitor setup in mirror mode - one on the treadmill desk and one on the sitting desk. Then, you can just move the keyboard and mouse to whichever desk you want to use. (Or, if you use a laptop, then it would be even easier.)

- Something else I didn't see mentioned in any review is that chafing has been a bit of a problem for me, especially after being on for 2+ hours. Thus, I am trying out different kinds of 'compression shorts', because Body Glide only goes so far. The compression shorts seem to be greatly improving things, although I'm only in the experimental phase. Still though, if compression shorts are a must, I don't see this thing being very practical for office use, unless you only plan to be on it for an hour or two. As for me, I used it for nearly three and a half hours today, which is the longest I've used it so far.

- Along with compression shorts, two other accessories you'll probably need is a fan (it gets hot while walking), along with a monitor stand, esp if your monitor isn't height-adjustable. I got the OFC Express Monitor Stand (20.5 x 11 x 4.25) and it's working great. I can even put my keyboard under to get the monitor closer to my face, which helps since I'm visually impaired.

- About this treadmill in-particular - some reviewers have already noted that if you pause it, you have to reset your speed every time you get back on, and the treadmill beeps loudly every time you press a button. This is kind of annoying, but not a huge issue. The biggest issue I have with it is that the arm rests are probably not as soft as you think they are. They're padded, but not as much so as a padded wrist rest. As a result, my 'mousing wrist' tends to feel a bit raw at the end of a work day. I also don't like the placement of the console, and the fact that the top of it covers part of the arm rest, right in the center of where my wrists go. So I have to fidget with the keyboard a bit to make sure my wrists aren't resting on the plastic piece. I really wish they'd have put it over to one corner or something.

- Some say you can barely hear this thing, which isn't exactly true. Although the motor is pretty quiet, you will always hear the 'swish-ing' sound of the treadmill belt, along with the constant 'thump thump thump' of it being walked on.

Overall, I like this treadmill desk very much, but can't really recommend it for heavy office use. It's great if you work at home though :) I'll probably update this review some after I've had the treadmill for awhile.

One last thing I should mention is that if you buy the treadmill and it starts making a horrible 'groaning' noise when you start walking on it, the belt is probably a little off-center, and you just need to adjust it a little. This is fairly straightforward, and is explained in the manual - you just need to turn a couple of screws in the front, and then you're good to go :)

UPDATE 5/29
Pro-tip: If you're doing the treadmill desk thing and feel a little burning down there while walking, you should probably stop, even if you think it's not that bad. Chafing is like sunburn... in the moment, you only notice a little irritation. An hour or two later? Ouch time! Better have that Aquaphor handy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love walking while working!, December 24, 2011
Length:: 1:24 Mins

A first for me... a video review. But it seemed like a good option for a treadmill, because then you can see it in action.

The sound isn't perfect... but I thought I'd post it for those of you that might have Christmas money to spend and/or want to think about doing something great for your health in 2012. Our bodies are made to move and this LifeSpan Fitness Treadmill Desk is a great way to do that while doing other things... working, watching TV, social media, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The hot glue gun fix for the loud beeping issue., July 18, 2012
This review is from: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I've only had the treadmill for less than 24 hours, so I'm mostly writing to inform people how to fix the loud beeping that other reviewers have been complaining about. It annoyed the heck out of me after about 1 minute.

I saw those complaints and wrote the company before I got the product about how to fix it (and if it would void the warranty) -- and this is the response I got:

"I am writing in regard to your question on how to disable the safety feature beeping on the console.

Although we do not recommend that the speaker get modified or disabled in any way. If you were to choose to make any modification on your own to this component, this will not void your warranty.

With customers who have contacted me about the same question you had, they have stated that they have used hot glue to fill in the speaker located on the console control board.

The speaker is wired as part of the circuit board, removal will interfere with the diagnostics start-up test and may damage your console. I would not advise removing the speaker.
-Jeff Keller (jkeller@lifespanfitness.com)"

In fact the initial customer service guy I wrote said that his own treadmill desk just got the hot glue treatment itself. I figured if it didn't void the warranty and their own people were doing it, I've give it a go.

It only took maybe 5 minutes and it is really easy, so I highly recommend it.

**************
How to Mostly Silence the Super-Loud & Annoying Beep on the LifeSpan TR1200-DT
See image from image gallery:

Step 1: Obtain hot glue gun. Looks like they range in price from $6 to $60 on amazon. I used my gf's hot pink arts and crafts glue gun that worked just fine, so you do not need a high end one for this project.

Optional Step 1a: Unplug Treadmill

Step 2: Unscrew the 3 phillips screws attaching the control panel to the desk. There is one on each side, and one on top facing the desk surface.

Step 3: Locate speaker component - it's the cylindrical thing on the left of the speaker board. Refer to photo link above.

Step 4: Fill the speaker hole with hot glue. I coated some of the top of the speaker as well (pretty unavoidable unless your hot glue gun skills are a lot more precise that mine. Let glue dry.

Step 5: Test it out. Although I unplugged the treadmill while I glued it, I don't think you really need to (then again I'm not a electrician). I plugged it back in while I still had it unscrewed so I could see if it actually worked. You should notice a very significant decrease in volume of the beeping.

Step 6: Screw the cover back on.

Step 7: Revel in your now nearly silent TR1200-DT.
**************

Hope that helps some people.

Regarding the treadmill itself, my initial thoughts are:

Positive:
- Seems sturdy and craftsmanship is good
- Easy to put together. It took me maybe 40 min. You really need a second person for a couple steps. Pitfalls - 1) some of the bolts are already attached to the desk, so if you don't see them in the hardware bag don't call the company like an idiot and ask where they might be (happened to 'friend' of mine). 2) After you have triumphantly put it all together and try to get the treadmill going, don't forget to first plug in the red magnetic safety key (I also know someone that happened to).
- Great customer service
- Best value for a treadmill desk that I've found after a lot of research unless you want to
- For a treadmill desk it looks pretty good. It's not going to win any best looking desk of the year awards, but at least it's not as god awful ugly as the TrekDesk http://amzn.com/B002IYRBI0

Cons:
- Not feasible if two people of different heights will be interchangeably using it because you need to remove everything off the desk to change the height. If you only have space for one treadmill desk, consider a hydraulic desk instead such as the SteelCase Walkstation http://amzn.com/B002JFT2BW although that'll run you over $4000 so you could get 3 of the TR1200-DTs for less than one of those.
- Doesn't have any kind of upload ability to save your total miles/steps. Seems like a bluetooth option would be perfect.
- Steps reset every 10k because there are only 4 digits displayed
- No HR monitor integration
- Maxes at 4mph (although that's higher than many treadmill desks treadmill speeds).

Overall I highly recommend it in my limited time using it. I'll try to post an update after a few hundred miles on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product- a few suggestions for improvement, February 3, 2013
This review is from: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I have been using my treadmill desk for about a week (purchased in Jan 2013) and overall I have been really happy with it. I have been a long distance walker in the past (10-15 miles/day) and I was looking for a way to incorporate excercise while working. Originally I was going to make a DIY treadmill desk by buying a used treadmill and adjustable desk. After a lot of research though, I decided to buy the TR1200-DT because it was designed to be used for long hours on a daily basis and the whole setup was just neater and cleaner looking. I use it when I am on the internet, watching videos, reading, talking on the phone, etc. So far I have been using it for 3.5-4.5 hours per day and I have noticed that I am more alert and can focus better while working.

I have a 42" flat panel TV as a monitor sitting on a pine board shelf that I made for it. The large monitor is a big help- one of the problems I had at the gym was the walking motion made it difficult to read or use the tiny TVs attached to the treadmills. I use a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse with a unifying receiver. I have a "sitting desk" right next to the treadmill desk and each desk has a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse so I can easily switch back and forth as needed. The unifying receiver allows up to 6 devices to be connected to a single receiver that is plugged into the computer (so far 1 wireless keyboard and 2 wireless mice) so you won't have to use all your USB ports. The keyboard does not have a wrist rest which allows it to be placed against the padded edge of the treadmill desk. This stabilizes my hands (palms are resting on the padded edge) so I can easily type at 2 mph. I haven't tried increasing the speed beyond that because mouse control degrades rapidly. At this speed I misclick occassionally (I am not doing anything requiring a high degree of precision, just clicking links, etc.). In the future I may add a wireless touchpad which has been highly recommended by several other users to improve mouse accuracy while walking. I can just barely write short notes at 2 mph (they are usually sloppy but readable) but I can write fine at 1 mph.

I also have a small LG blu-ray player on the desk. The treadmill is very quiet, which was especially important to me because I have a small hearing loss and background noise causes me a lot of problems. I have been able to watch videos at 2 mph without headphones with no problem and I have also had no problems talking on the phone with or without the bluetooth headset.

The desk is very stable and since it sits on the floor it is isolated from the treadmill vibrations. Keep in mind though, that if you lean on the desk (which you shouldn't since it is bad posture) the desk will move a bit - so be careful placing things near the edges or stacking too high. My monitor shelf has to sit very near to the back edge of the desk due to the cord management disk, so I used a couple blocks to make sure it doesn't slide off. Since the desk is so stable you really don't need cup holders, in fact I think they would be a waste of desk space. It would be nice to have some accessories that clip onto the sides of the desk to hold office supplies (especially a paper/book holder that could be adjusted both horizontally and vertically).

In general I like the console upfront where I can easily see everything and it isn't really in the way but I have found that occassionally I will knock the key off causing an emergency stop. Most treadmills have this problem but it is a little more likely when you are close to the console because it is attached to the desk you are using. I finally ended up taping the cord to the underside of the treadmill to keep it out of the way.

There are a few things that I think need some improvement:

1. Unlike alot of people I actually read the manual/instructions and I was very surprised to read that the warranty was only valid if you register your product within 30 days of purchase. This is very unusual and to be quite honest comes across as a little shady since it was buried in the "Warranty" text. This needs to be put in large, bolded print in numerous places.

2. As others have mentioned, this treadmill accelerates and decelerates very slowly. However after decelerating very slowly for a prolonged period of time, it jerks to a complete stop very suddenly. I didn't notice this at first because the deceleration was so slow that I often hopped off without waiting for the belt to come to a complete stop. It is not a huge problem for me because I have good balance but it does startle me. However this could be dangerous for older people or those without good balance. The belt should decelerate more quickly with a smoother transition to a complete stop. The way it currently operates gives the false impression that the belt will come to a smooth gentle stop and it takes so long that most people will probably not be paying attention by the time the complete stop occurs.

3. The instructions need some improvement. I learned more about how to use the bluetooth feature from another reviewer on Amazon than I did from LifeSpan. I was very frustrated in the beginning and lost data for the first 2 days since "Account sync" apparently deletes the data from the counters on the treadmill app even if it doesn't successfully transfer it. It was also not clear that the data uploaded through the bluetooth link only shows up when you click on the "Exercise History" link under Reports in the lower left corner of the LifeSpan Fitness Club window but you can only see the individual manually entered data when you click the "Update" link under "Exercise Results" in the middle of the screen (you can see total minutes/steps/distance, etc. manually entered for the week in "Exercise History" but not the individual entries). This was very confusing while first trying to set up the bluetooth functionality.

4. It would be very useful to have some actual photos showing a properly aligned belt. This is my first treadmill and mine arrived off center (or at least the gaps on the two sides were not equal so I am assuming it was not properly centered). The directions to align the belt were not as clear as they should be. The drawing in the manual showed a single hole/adjustment bolt on each side in the rear of the treadmill, however there are actually 2 bolts or screws on each side and the adjustment bolts are the lower ones. A couple of high quality videos on the website demonstrating how to align the belt and lubricate it would be a big improvement.

5. When you accidentally knock the key off the console, resulting in an E-stop, you lose your data. If the treadmill app was running before the E-stop, the numbers are still displayed but when you start up again everything is set back to zero. Other than writing down the numbers before starting up again and manually entering them, is there no other way to save your data? Can you add an option to have the desktop app continue the count instead of starting over?

6. I have used the treadmill for about a week and a few times a day one of my sneakers briefly comes in contact with one of the siderails (hardly an excessive amount since this treadmill is designed to be used up to 6 hours a day and I do 4-5 hours). I have already noticed that the edges of the plastic siderails are roughened. This makes me question their durability. A hardened plastic or metal strip should prevent or greatly reduce this problem. Part of the reason I bought this treadmill desk was because it looks better than something I could make myself so if it starts to look bad quickly that defeats the purpose.

So far I really like it and being able to work while exercising has finally allowed me to get back on track with my fitness goals.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine machine, but has this squeak that drives me crazy., August 27, 2013
Peace of Mind (Norman, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I bought two of these machines -- one for my home office and one for work. I like them fine, but one of them makes this squeaking noise that will not go away. It is really annoying, especially because the noise is most noticeable at the best speed to be walking and working at. The people at Lifespan cannot figure it out, nor can a service technician (who says that all their machines likely make the same noise). The strange thing is that my second machine does not make any such noise. It is nice and quiet. So if you are the kind of person that would be bothered by this, then beware. Again, the machine is nice and there are only a couple other little small things that are a bit annoying that I can live with (and which others have discussed). But with the squeak, unfortunately I am now stuck with the noise because they only replace parts, but cannot seem to get a part that does not squeak. Hope this is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Health Purchase Ever!!!!, April 22, 2013
This review is from: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk (Sports)
First let me discuss how it has benefited me.

All day long inundation with information about healthy eating, getting exercise, enough sleep, lower stress, yadda yadda yadda. How many of us though, especially with small kids, have any time to do this? Few I'm guessing or we just figure out how to make our routine work for us when something changes and we need to start all over again. I think the key to being healthy, is taking all that information and then finding what works in YOUR day. For me, what never seem to change was the time I spent at my job. I spent so much time sitting at my desk working; causing back aches, fatigue, stress and not feeling I could take breaks because too much needed to be done. Enter the Treadmill Desk. I have had mine for about 1 month, and have already noticed a vast improvement in my mood and energy level within the first week of using it. I had some aches and pains that took another week to resolve and I sleep better too. Since I bought mine to use at work (after clearing with my supervisor and office mate), I have also been more productive and focused at my job. My interest in my work is maintained throughout the day because my body is moving; we are made to move.

Second is functionality,

I would say if you are a person who cannot read in the car, walk and chew gum or get motion sickness, this might not work for you. I answer emails, type letters, listen to webinars, attend phone meetings, etc. all at 2.0 mph. For phone calls, I had to work up to 2.0 mph so I wouldn't huff and puff in the ear of the other person! This machine is very quiet as stated. My colleagues have reported that when they are outside my cubicle, they acutally have to stop and try to hear it, especially over the din of the rest of the office. I do not have a heavy footfall so this is not an issue for me. Keep in mind, you are walking, this is not a running workout.

Third is footprint,

While this machine is smaller than conventional treadmills, it still has a footprint to be considered. The desk is a bit larger that I had originally thought, but it still fit nicely. I do have a smaller sit down desk arrangement separate from the treadmill desk, please don't think I have a big private office, I do not. I work in a cubicle with limited space. You want to look at the specifications which can be found in the electronic manual on LifeSpan's website and then measure your space. Keep in mind that if you are using this at work, clear with your supervisor, take your measurements and allow for fire exiting as this can be a hazard.

Fourth is price - sordid topic of coin -,

When first seeing this as an option, I balked, OMG expensive. Yes. Then I decided to tabulate the financial cost of maintenancing general body pain (due to not moving as much) with cost of mental health, sleep, sanity, you get the idea. I discovered that in the month I have had it, it pays for itself and my doctor agrees. My family also noticed a remarkable change in my mood and energy level. So if you have a situation where you are captive to a computer or a screen in your day, find it hard to break away or cannot and need the exercise, it is well worth the price.

OH and buy up to the 1200. All the reviews that address the model say this and I think they are right. This one VERY sturdy and may be used up to 6 hours a day. You might be thinking, I'll never walk that much and go with the cheaper model by LifeSpan. Do NOT make that error. If you are diligent about using it, you'll do at least half that or more. I do 3 hours before I know I have gone that far.

Overall, this is well worth it's cost in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nitpicks on an otherwise fantastic product, December 28, 2012
It's been barely 3 months since I started using this, and in short:

* Yes, this is a high-quality, well-built, well-engineered product. Yes, it's worth the money. I'll leave the other reviews to sing the (genuine) virtues of this product.

* Yes, you will almost certainly be able to work while walking. You may find certain kinds of work to be best for walking (e.g. e-mails, phone meetings, etc). I've found this fantastic to use as a second workstation in my office, typically for a few "walking" work periods totaling 90-120 minutes a day. Your back will also feel better during your sitting time because you're giving it these active breaks.

* Don't worry about the beeping complaints mentioned in other reviews. The 2013 model lets you disable the beeper (the procedure is explained in the user manual).

The best part about this treadmill is that, once you have it, the things you most feared and dreaded are transformed into exercise opportunities. ("You need me to work this weekend? Sure, no problem...I'll get way more exercise than if I stayed at home." ;-)

Here are some of the (minor) downsides I've noticed that haven't been called out:

* The plastic rails on each side of the walking surface become permanently and prominently marked upon contact with your shoe sole. This is surprising and disappointing. The visible wear is considerable after barely 3 months.

* The user manual for the treadmill goes downhill towards the end, and needs professional help. The closing pages are full of misspellings and sentences that aren't even logically coherent, let alone understandable.

* After you've completed your walking, you can't just push a button to scroll through the list of stats you may want (e.g. distance, calories, etc). Instead, you have to sit there and wait until it scrolls to the item you want. Slow and tedious.

* Bluetooth functionality is a great idea, but their Java-based desktop application is tedious and convoluted to install and get working. I have worked in software engineering teams for nearly 20 years (at companies like Apple, Netscape/Mozilla, Microsoft, etc), and I was unable to figure out how to get it to work on a Mac or a PC after several hours. A modern iOS, Android or Windows Store app would be great here.

Those gripes aside, this really is a fantastic product. For the first time in years, my weight is decreasing, and I've tripled my daily exercise just from using this treadmill for 2 hours a day of e-mails and conference calls. I'm possibly even getting close to the level of physical activity I used to get when I lived in Europe and could walk and bike places. For my life and health, that's transformative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and design, April 10, 2012
This review is from: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk (Sports)
My treadmill desk was delivered a couple of days ago and I've used it every day since. It was Saturday to Thursday between ordering and delivery. The treadmill came packed in two large boxes, delivered via freight. They delivered it inside my front door. Some freight companies seem to deliver to 3 inches off the back of the truck and you have to cope, but this one had two guys, and just assumed I wanted it inside. They called the day before to arrange a 4 hours delivery window, and arrived a few minutes early, so I didn't have to wait around. The main treadmill section comes all assembled and is pretty heavy, like 150-175 pounds, but you can tilt it up on some wheels on the end, so moving it into places was not so hard after a couple cuts to the packing box (taking it up steps is likely a 2 person job). The packing was excellent, and mine came in flawless condition. It came with all the tools you require, although I found a real socket wrench worked better at really making the bolts tight. The top moved just a tiny bit before I properly tightened them. I also wondered for a bit if some bolts for the top were missing, but they where in the upright supports.

It's surprisingly easy to walk a mile and expect I'll be up to a couple miles per day in a few weeks. I can surf the web (and similar click and view uses) up to about 1.5 MPH, and have to slow it down for more intensive typing. It goes from 0.4 to 4.0 MPH in 0.1 steps. It remembers your weight unless you totally power it off. It stops a little abruptly when you press pause, but starts at 0.4 MPH. You do have to always reset the speed after stopping, which has not proven such a big deal and probably is safer. Pressing the speed up button a dozen times (or just hold it down), to get back to 1.6 MPH has not been a big deal, although I suppose if you hopped on and off every 3 minutes it would be. The padded armrests in the front help a lot. There is a magnetic safety switch you can clip to your clothing and it shuts off if you get too far from the console. It took me about 10 seconds to clip the safety switch out of the way under the table. If I were running, it might be useful, but at 1 MPH, well no.

I did notice that desk surface height adjustment does NOT go real low. I'm 5'7", and the lowest height seems about right. If I were shorter, I might be unhappy. I also talked to LifeSpan and they said in a couple months to expect a new model with Bluetooth connectivity to record activity. The current model has what looks like a RS-232 connector for the console, and I plan on checking into accessing the data stream. The current model has no USB connectivity like some LifeSpan treadmills. Since I wear a BodyMedia calorie tracking armband, the Bluetooth data collection didn't seem worth waiting for. Long term, I might regret not having the Bluetooth data feed, but hacking the current console connector sounds like fun, assuming it's not some weird format and signal levels. The step counter works very well, and seems to count each side as a step, not once on both sides like my armband (so my BodyMedia armband reads half as many steps).

I also measured power consumption, which was like 4 watts in standby (not moving but console active), and about 60 watts when moving at 2 MPH with me walking (I suppose it varies a bit with your weight, and I'm not a stick person). My modern efficient desktop computer + 24" lcd monitor consume about 60 watts. I pay about 0.25 per kilowatt/hour so if I use it 3 hours/day/365 days/year, that's about $15/year in active use electricity, and at 4 watts about $8/year in vampire power use when in standby. It also has a physical on/off switch at the front of the tread unit if 4 watts standby is annoying and you want to save the $8/year.

DO buy or use some sort of mat under the treadmill as you are supposed to apply silicon lubricant every few months and it would be easy to damage an unprotected wood floor or carpet with the silicon liquid.

The desk is VERY stable, after I really tightened the bolts tight (use a real wrench). It's great size, I have a small form factor PC, big monitor, keyboard and lots of space. I'm REALLY glad I didn't try to build something cheap, as even the 20" width belt I occasionally step to the edge of when I'm focused on the computer. The belt length is plenty long and I don't expect stepping off the back to be a problem at all.

I also have noticed walking on a treadmill is a lot noisier than just sitting at a desk doing computer work, so am not sure how a treadmill desk would be received in an open office (mine is at home). The treadmill is mechanically pretty quiet, but your feet stepping on the belt are less so. I've never seriously used a treadmill before, and find I like walking barefoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest innovation ever for telecommuters, February 12, 2013
This review is from: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I used to work in a hospital where I logged a lot of hours running around and on my feet. Recently started working from home. I spend a lot of time sitting at the desk, doing conference calls, drinking coffee and click click clicking away. Because of kids, husband, dog, and life I don't get enough exercise (who does?). When I read about this desk I immediately ran (okay, clicked) to purchase it.

It. Is. Awesome.

It came into the house last week and I use it constantly for calls, answering emails, watching videos, light editing, etc. It is set up near my regular desk so I can hop on and off it during the day - still not comfortable writing or doing line-by-line editing while walking. I love that while walking you are not winded but are constantly moving - you hop on and suddenly you look down at the monitor and realize that you've been walking for an hour. I've been walking between 10000 and 20000 steps a day and feel great. I also feel that the low level activity keeps my body occupied so my brain can work better - I actually listen to the call rather than daydream. I have no complaints at all except that the seller (Zoostores) was a bit slow to deliver. I used a taskrabbit (another terrific innovation!) to set it up because it is heavy for one person. If I could do it again, I would have purchased directly from the manufacturer rather than a reseller but that's the only change.

I feel like I am now in some weird religious cult because all I want to do is talk about it and encourage my work-at-home friends to run out and get one for themselves. Enjoy the walking!!

LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk