From the Manufacturer
LifeStraw offers easy access to clean and safe drinking water anywhere!
A Time Magazine “Invention of the Year” winner, LifeStraw is the most advanced, compact, ultralight personal water filter available. LifeStraw contains no chemicals or iodinated resin, no batteries and no moving parts to break or wear out. It features a high flow rate and weighs only 2oz. LifeStraw is perfect for the ultralight backpacker, traveler, boy scout, hunter, and especially for emergency preparedness.
LifeStraw filters to 0.2 microns through the use of hollow-fiber membranes, which are small tubes with even smaller pores. These pores allow water to pass, but prevent contaminants larger than 0.2 microns from flowing through. As you get closer to 264 gallons (1,000 liters), the pores will eventually become clogged with debris and the flow will stop.
LifeStraw is the water filter chosen by leading NGOs for humanitarian relief worldwide since launch in 2005. LifeStraws have been sent to Africa, Pakistan, Haiti, and South America for disaster aid, and a portion of domestic sales support this donation program. LifeStraw has only been available in North America since 2011, when excess inventory has allowed it.
How To Use the LifeStraw Water Filter
Filtering your drinking water could not be simpler. With LifeStraw you can drink directly from puddles or streams, or you may find it easier to scoop water with your wide-mouthed water bottle and drink from it using the LifeStraw. When new, the filter membrane is very dry and must be primed before use. Uncap the top and bottom caps and insert the base of the straw into the contaminated water, being careful to keep the mouthpiece dry. Let it sit for 30 seconds to allow water to creep up the membrane, then take 5 quick sucks to get the water flowing. It takes roughly 3-5 seconds of sucking to start the flow of water through the filter when the membrane is dry.
When finished drinking, blow a breath of air back down into the LifeStraw to purge the remaining water out, shake, and recap. If you drink from murky water and the water flow stops, blow back into it to purge the water and mud from the filter. When you return home from a hiking trip, drink some tap water with the LifeStraw, purge the filter by blowing back into it, and leave it to dry with the caps off.
The LifeStraw will not desalinate salt water, remove dissolved chemicals or minerals, nor remove viruses. If drinking from water which may have viruses in it (e.g. contaminated by human sewage), pre-treat with water treatment tablets. See the included instruction manual for more information.
- No after-taste. LifeStraw has no after-taste, since no chlorine, iodine or other chemicals are used.
- No waiting time. You can drink from your LifeStraw right away. There is no need to wait for water to drip or chemicals to act.
- LifeStraw meets or exceeds EPA standards for efficacy. LifeStraw was successfully assessed in laboratory conditions (harsher conditions than what is required by the EPA in terms of turbidity and organic matter), up to 1600 liters (approximately 160% of design life). Independent testing at the University of Arizona showed that LifeStraw exceeds the EPA requirements of LOG 6 reduction for bacteria and LOG 3 reduction for protozoan parasites.
- Bacteria removed include: Escherichia coli (“E. Coli”), Campylobacter, Vibrio cholerae (“Cholera”), Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Shigella, Salmonella.
- Protozoa removed include: Giardia lamblia (“Beaver Fever”), Cryptosporidium parvum (“Crypto”), Entamoeba histolytica.
Awards and Accolades
- ‘One of the ‘Ten Things That Will Change The Way We Live’ Forbes (February 2006)
- ‘Invention of the Century’ Gizmag (December 2005)
- ‘Innovation of the Year’ Esquire (December 2005)
- ‘Europe’s Best Invention’ Reader’s Digest (July 2006)
- ‘Best Invention of 2005’ Time (November 2005)
- 2008 Saatchi & Saatchi Award for World Changing Ideas
- ‘INDEX: 2005’ International Design Award
- ‘Well-Tech 2006’ Innovation Technology Award
- Drink directly from streams, or from a wide-mouth water bottle
- Removes a minimum of 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)
- Surpasses EPA guidelines for E. coli, Giardia (beaver fever), and Cryptosporidium oocysts, and many others.
- Reduces water turbidity, filters particles of approximately 0.2 microns.
- Filters up to 264 gallons (1000 liters) of contaminated water per manufacturer.
- Contains no chemicals. Does NOT contain iodinated resin (iodine): safe for your thyroid gland. BPA-free.
- Will not allow water to flow when it reaches capacity.
- The choice of NGOs for worldwide humanitarian relief since 2005. A portion of sales goes to support clean water projects worldwide.