5.0 out of 5 stars Great water bottle, if slightly expensive
My wife has been carrying around water bottles since I've known her. Recently, I saw her using some cheap plastic thing she got for free from the gym. Then the kids were drinking from it.

I threw it away.

Published on August 4, 2012 by BriMister

2.0 out of 5 stars silicone lid makes water taste like chemicals
This isn't my first bottle from lifefactory. I had a larger one with a normal lid and loved it. Unfortunately I left it in my car, full, on a freezing night and it cracked like any glass bottle would. I wanted another one and was intrigued by the new spouted top design. I ordered two as my husband always coveted my old bottle.

I can't stand using them! The lid...
Published 17 months ago by garby dill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great water bottle, if slightly expensive, August 4, 2012
BriMister (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews

I threw it away.

I bought this because it's glass and won't leech chemicals into the water. I'm not the tin foil hat type, but it seems reasonable to me that plastics might not be great for us, especially with the known issues with BPA and other chemicals.

This bottle arrived in two days with Amazon Prime. It's as great as expected. It feels solid, but not too heavy. Our Brita filtered water comes out tasting great. The Flip top is really good, is easy to open and close and feels good when drinking from it.

I bought another Life Factory bottle without the flip top since it was about $7 cheaper. I'm starting to wish I bought it with the flip top.

I also really like that the glass is made in France and the rest of the parts are made in the USA and everything is assembled and shipped from the USA. It's nice to be contributing to local economies, and that there's something in my house that wasn't manufactured in China.

Overall, it's a great purchase, but I feel it was slightly expensive. If it doesn't break in the next year or two, I'll feel that I got my money's worth from it. I would buy another one of these and I'd recommend it to my friends. If it were about $5 less, I might have been able to swing another one and keep one at home and one at the office.

2.0 out of 5 stars silicone lid makes water taste like chemicals, March 9, 2013

I can't stand using them! The lid is tough to drink from without totally tipping your head and the bottle back. But what keeps me from using them is the foul, chemical flavor that the little silicone spout cover adds to the water. It is like a sweet gasoline taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST and safest water bottle EVER!!!, October 12, 2012
I have researched & researched water bottles over the past few years in order to wean myself off of buying and drinking from tons of plastic bottles. Yes, I recycle, but I KNOW my habit was terrible for the environment and very questionable for my health, especially during the hot summer months when those bottles are shipped and stored in hot weather! I had previously weaned myself off of soda drinking, and the only way I learned to enjoy water drinking was to drink ice cold, pure water with NO taste! I have wonderful filtered water at home, but I like to cart an ice cold water bottle around the house or out the door with me. Drinking from an open glass doesn't work. In my search for a 'healthy/safe' water container, I had originally settled on stainless steel - with Contigo being my favorite. They are the greatest as they never leak, and you can throw them in your purse, backpack or on a car seat with no problem. But there was still a slight after taste that I couldn't get past. And although probably not a huge issue, still some researchers advise not to use metals (stainless or otherwise) with food and water.

Well, I finally stumbled upon Lifefactory, with the flip top cap! Since I'm going for 'taste free', they are the best ever! Nothing like drinking from non-leaching glass! And the silicone flip top is virtually taste free - even though you can smell the silicone ever so slightly. Research says that silicone is the safest 'plastic type' compound one can use for drinking, eating and cooking - so Lifefactory had what I was looking for. And the silicone sleeves are fun, colorful & really do help protect the glass bottle.

You can use the Lifefactory bottles for hot tea or coffee (and I like mine VERY hot), but you can't pour boiling water directly in the container. Lifefactory recommends preparing the glass container by filling it with very hot tap water to prime it for receiving a HOT drink. I've had NO problems doing that. There are two small caveats that you should be aware of - none of which have lessened the value of this container for me. The glass is definitely heavier than a stainless steel bottle, but that's not an issue for me, and the lids have a very sturdy carrying handle which helps for carting it around. The only other thing is that you must push the flip top all the way down to make sure it's a snug seal. The seal does not 'snap' shut, but if pressed all the way down, you can lay the bottle on its side and even shake the bottle upside down with NO leakage. I probably would not blindly toss the bottle into a back pack, though. If another item would press against the little lip/edge of the flip top, it could easily be pushed up/open since it doesn't snap shut. You can get the bottles without a flip top, with just a screw on lid, but I don't want to have to screw off an entire lid just to take a drink, nor do I like drinking from a wide mouthed container, so the flip top is my choice. Also note that you have to screw the lids on perfectly so there is no leakage there. I always test mine after filling which only takes a second. If it's misaligned and leaks, I just fix it...no big deal! If I really need to rough it, I will likely use my old bottles once in a great while. But for 99% of my day-to-day use, in and out of my home, Lifefactory has finally given me what I was looking for...a 'taste free', non-leaching, 'take-it-with-me' water experience...that looks cool to boot! The 16-ounce bottle is plenty big for me, and is supposedly slightly thinner, so it fits better in most car cup holders. I bought 5 bottles, as I like to keep them filled in the refrigerator. When one gets too warm for my liking, I switch it out for a fresh, cold one! This keeps me drinking lots of water! And I keep one of them specifically for taking hot tea on the run! Works great for me...Lifefactory 16-Ounce Glass Beverage Bottle with Flip Top Cap, Midnight Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice bottles, February 21, 2013
I like these bottles a lot. The 16 oz. was a bit small for me so I got a few 22 oz. The 22 oz ones are heavy, though, so it is a trade off. However, both the 16 oz and the 22 are well made and I like the glass so much more than plastic. I got the flip top lids and would not want to have the non flip top to drink. Get the "flip top" if you want to use these bottles as drinking bottles. A small complaint: The flip top is a flexible "cap" that fits over the small oval mouthpiece. This cap smells. The smell fades over time but not quickly so it will be with you for a while. Unfortunately every time you take a drink, the cap is very near your nose so you get the whiff every time. But, overall, a nice bottle that works. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Leaks if the cap isn't on right, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Lifefactory 16-Ounce Glass Beverage Bottle with Flip Top Cap, Grass Green (Kitchen)
The Lifefactory glass water bottle is a great water bottle. It's good for the environment, BPA free, and keeps water cool and secure. I love the flip-top cap because I can drink from it quickly and easily. The bottle (including rubber coating) and cap are dishwasher safe, which is great. The only flaw I have noticed is that the bottle needs to be closed "just so" to prevent leaking. I've had other glass water bottles and had the same issue with those. I think it's a flaw with glass bottles because the seal is harder to forge.

1.0 out of 5 stars It broke - by itself - in 2 months. There was blood., March 6, 2013
WTL (California) - See all my reviews
I'm making all kinds of typos because this thing cut me on both of my index fingers - blood on the keyboard! I did nothing wrong, no dropping. I washed it by hand for a month then began putting it in the dishwasher, which is not overly hot - no heating element, just reflected heat from the stainless steel tub. A 1" chip of glass just kind of peeled away from the bottom edge beneath the sleeve, creating a hole that I didn't notice because it was covered by the sleeve, until I added water. This happened just this morning. Looking to see what was going on, I sliced both of my fingers on it. And my return date passed on Feb. 11. This thing was $25 with shipping! The thing is, it's a great bottle for my protein shake - wide mouth, easy to handle, great cap with flip top - perfect. This had to be a manufacturing defect to occur this way, like in making the glass bottle itself. I want another one, but not at the price of having to eat the cost of this one, plus the blood and the damage to my two most important fingers. Just spoke to Amazon - though it's past my return window, they're sending me a free return label and refunding the total cost. Another reason I shop at Amazon. They can't replace it - if I want another I have to order separately. I'll think about it - this was such a strange thing that I think I should take another chance because it was such a great bottle.

Update 5/10/13: Around the time I wrote this review, I also wrote the manufacturer. No response in 3 months. Their website talks about their dedication and passion and seems all friendly-family-love-joy-health, but nothing about customer service. I now see why. There's no good reason to throw them another $25 when they have that kind of attitude, which makes all their talk on their website seem hypocritical.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spills way too easily, June 15, 2013
If the top is barely nudged the contents will pour out all over the place, so you can't lay it on your car floor and let it roll around or treat it like an ordinary water bottle. You have to baby it and be super careful. I should have listened to the first review because this water bottle will give you anxiety with worry that the top will flip open and pour out water/soda/etc. all over the place.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great bottle, horrible lid, April 8, 2013
Hi, I own two of these bottles and they are a bit pricey to only have the lid not close properly. Rather, the lid leaks everywhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful Cap; LEAKS!, June 1, 2013
The bottle is nice, it's glass, which is great if you want to avoid plastics. The silicone sleeve is pretty and feels substantial. The cap however, really should be engineered better. After a recent trip to the farmer's market, where I had my water bottle in my purse, I discovered that the entire contents of the bottle had leaked! There was my new iPhone floating in the bottom of my purse, ruined, naturally. Obviously, I'm not blaming the bottle, but I would think for the price of this water bottle, the cap would be a little more leak proof! I won't buy or recommend these bottles until they have a more rugged cap. I don't know anyone who carries a water bottle and keeps it's perfectly upright at all times. Aren't these meant for running errands, in the car, outside doing outdoorsy stuff, etc? Basically it's perfect for sitting upright on a table, or just in a cup holder I suppose. I was looking for a water bottle that I could lug along with me whenever, wherever, and I was hoping this was it, but it's just not reliable enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a glass bottle for my water, etc., October 14, 2012
VET "VET" (SanFrancisco) - See all my reviews
I've used plastic squeeze bottles for water at my desk and at home for the past couple of years. I've seen reports of hazardous materials used to create these bottles and thought that I would search for a glass container. The Lifefactory beverage bottle fit the bill. I purchased the 22-oz container and I enjoy water in addition to tea during the middle of the day. The rubber outer shell helps to maintain the grip on the bottle, however be careful if you have hot liquid as the rubber shell is not intended to be a cool touch device. Also sipping liquid from the oval shaped lip takes some getting used to but overall, I am happy with my purchase.

Rate and Discover Movies