Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sturgill Simpson Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on October 30, 2013
Oh, yes, the magnetic platform is very magnetic, they give you 1 cutting pad, 1 embossing mat and even a set of dies (although so not have your heart set on the dies you see advertised, you may get a different set. I got scalloped squares).

I cannot tell you the lifespan of the cutting pad because I used the platform 10 times and tossed it. My Sizzix BigKick's cutting pads may have looked like Hell, but I could get HUNDREDS of cuts in them before I bought another pair. Since I have different sizes of dies I also have several sizes of cutting pads, which the Genius does not have.

The main reason we (fellow papercrafters) wanted these magnetic platforms for our machines is to have the ability to place a die OVER a stamped image or any image printed on a piece of paper or cardstock and cut it out.

With the regular platforms that come with our machines (Sizzix BigShot, BigKick, Vagabond, etc) we have to use a sticky note to hold the die in place over the image and run it through the machine.

With Magnetic platforms, the die will sit exactly where we put them while they run them through the machine without shifting.

The Magnetic Platform by Sizzix or Stampin' Up!'s Magnetic Platform (also made by Sizzix) allows you to put a cutting pad down on the platform, then the paper/cardstock with the image facing up, then place the die, cutting blade down, over the image and lay the second cutting pad down. Even with the thick acrylic cutting pad and cardstock between the die and the magnets, the die doesn't move.

With the Genius, you have to put the die down on the platform with the cutting edge facing up, then attempt to place your stamped image over where you think the die is and use a sticky note to hold the paper in place and a cutting pad.

In this manner, you would still have to use sticky notes to hold the image in place over the die, but even then, you will not be able to tell if the image is in the correct position over the die.

Even a few reviewers here on Amazon have stated they still have to use sticky notes with the Genius.

I gave my Genius Magnetic Platform to hubby who was going to take it apart for the magnets while I bought a Stampin' Up! Magnetic platform. I tested it immediately and it worked like a charm. From 1/2" dies to the 5-7/16" Label dies, no shifting, no sticky notes and a perfect cut out of the stamped image. This is my "Go-to" platform when precision cutting an image or when using Sizzix Thinlits, Framelits or Spellbinders dies. For general die cutting I use the regular platform.

What is the point of spending $49.99 for this magnetic platform (that isn't very magnetic), when I can spend $39.99 on a Sizzix or Stampin' Up! magnetic platform with strong magnets and no more sticky notes!

What is the purpose of this platform?

Save yourself major headaches and buy the Sizzix or Stampin' Up! magnetic platform and use the extra $10 for some Godiva.
99 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2013
I had to replace my cutting platform for my Big Shot, it was not in stock at my local Michaels, but this was, I had no idea what it was but read the box which said it contained a magnetic platform. very interesting, it was on sale so thought I would try it. I am so thankful that the Sizzix platform was not in stock, this product is terrific, not only does it hold my dies in place it cuts some of the intricate dies perfectly! No tape required, just make sure you place the die where it will hold. The new thin dies that are on the market with very intricate designs come out perfectly, in most case just tap or flick your paper and the cut outs will just drop out, I used to waste time running the dies through several times with shims etc., only to have them not cut through properly. This item does the trick and I can use the long dies or several at a time as the platform is long. Love this product, highly recommend, for Big Shot users especially.
on November 20, 2012
I like this - but am finding that the smaller dies/framelits "move" around because of the magnets which is a bit disappointing.
on November 13, 2012
I love this platform! My Sizzix plates would get so damaged so quickly that they would start to leave imprints on my paper and I would have to replace them. I have done hundreds of cut outs with this platform and even though they do indent the platform, they leave no residual impression on the paper. The magnetic feature is not super strong and in critical cases (like nesting dies) I still put down post it notes to secure the metal dies, but there is enough of a hold for normal usage. I am using it with Tim Holtz' vagabond machine and it works beautifully. Ingenious product and I'm delighted I purchased it.
on April 16, 2013
This platform makes using my BigShot so much simpler, by not having to keep using sticky notes to keep Framelits in place with the platform being magnetic. The other plus to this is, that you don’t have to keep flipping back and forth with the tabs of the platform as you do with the one that originally comes with the BigShot. The platform also has measuring guides on it if you ever need it for anything; they thought of everything when producing this. This product makes life so much easier!
on May 24, 2014
This product is promoted as something to use with the Cuttlebug. It was 1/4 " too wide and would not fit through my Cuttlebug.
on April 11, 2013
Since you place the dies on the platform cut side UP, it's very very difficult to use it for anything that you're cutting AROUND - words, for example, that will be enclosed in a tag. While it says you can cut EVERYTHING, that's not quite true. I do like it very much for plain old cutting since I don't have to come up with a "sandwich" but I'll still keep by big kick ....
on February 15, 2015
For Cuttlebug owners this is fantastic! Now I can stamp first and then position my die exactly where I want it. And since it is so long I can cut multiple things at once. I do believe that the directions say you should place the die down cutting edge up and then the paper. That made no sense to me so my paper goes down first, then the die cutting side down where I want it. The only negative is that you might need to move things around a little since the whole board is not one complete magnet.
on September 11, 2015
This is the BEST of this type of product! It is magnetic and has two plates that come with it for thin and thick dies. It not only cuts with thin dies, but embosses at the same time. The A and B plates are self-healing and the A plate is also rigid so that you get a complete cut no matter how intricate the die. (It has taken other manufacturers until 2015 to make a rigid plate for complex dies and then you have to buy it separately for a pretty penny.) The price is a real bargain for what you get because all of the plates come in the package. You do not have to buy anything separately. The plates are all 13" long, so it cuts any 12" dies or borders also. In summary: 13" long plates, the large plate is magnetic, A and B cutting pads included (so you don't have to mess up your plates that came with your die-cutter). A plate is rigid for intricate dies, B plate is for thick dies, emboss and cut with one pass, plates are self-healing. The price is a BARGAIN!
on June 17, 2014
It does not work with the older Cuttlebug. Should have noted this in the ad, would have saved my having to send it back.