5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice assembly
Very sturdy assembly and full size hoop. So far its been a lot of fun. I only wish they provided a drain plug for the base. You can still drain by removing the two top filler caps and tipping it to the side though.
Published on May 11, 2007 by Tecate

2.0 out of 5 stars Great hoop - rust an issue
Published on May 4, 2011 by G. Peterson

2.0 out of 5 stars Great hoop - rust an issue, May 4, 2011
G. Peterson (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lifetime 1306 Pool Side Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System with 44-Inch Clear Acrylic Backboard (Sports)
First, let me start with the positives. This is a great product out of the box. The plastic base, when filled with water, holds the pole and backboard securely. Metal hardware is heavy-weight and powder-coated an attractive blue color. Two screws / bolts allow you to adjust the angle of the pole (easy) as well as the height of the backboard and rim (moderately difficult). The backboard is attractive and substantial and the rim and net are high-end. This is the best basketball system I have found for a pool in that it feels like you are shooting hoops on a real backboard and not some cheap toy. It is not EXACTLY the same as shooting on an in-ground system, in that the pole wiggles a little and the backboard gives a little, but it is close enough considering you are in a pool :)

The big downside for this product is rust. I have owned this for three years and it is starting to degrade - large flakes of rust are falling into the pool and it appears that this will be its last year. It is rusting at the bottom of the pole, where the angle brackets meet the pole - even the rim is rusting (and discoloring the net). I live in Southern California where it never rains, so the rust issue is surprising. For a heavy steel pipe to rust completely through in a few years is unusual - I have steel all around the outside of our house that does much better (steel fencing, steel gates, etc). I hope they either improve the metal they use, or figure out some other solution.

UPDATE: This is such a good product that I threw out my old one (it rusted) and bought a new one. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part, but after one year with the new product, there is only the tiniest sign of rust on any parts. At the end of the summer I will take the unit down, clean it, and seal any rusting areas with clear epoxy. Just be aware that this maintenance is part of owning this basketball system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice assembly, May 11, 2007
Tecate (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wood highy reccomend., May 13, 2007
Works great. I would order it again. I will also be able to use it as a basketball goal for my kids during the pool off-season. It will take 2 people to put together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basketball goal, July 28, 2008
We bought this basketball goal for our pool and have been very happy with it. Our son uses it constantly and it is holding up great. It was what we were expecting and we would recommend this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Pool BB hoop, September 2, 2006
This is a great pool basketball hoop. Very heavy duty to support the big jams and it looks good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Multiple parts are rusting after < 1 week of ownership - Returning and looking for a better option, May 16, 2013
I don't typically write reviews - in fact this is probably my first. However, I wanted to help people out who might be researching this product for their pool. I should state up front that we have a Salt Pool (SWG) with a regular salt level of ~3500 ppm - this potentially contributed to the failure of this product as compared to an owner with a non-salt pool.

Aside from the problems, the hoop is tons of fun. It is a great height, has good stability, and added a ton of enjoyment to our pool environment. Unfortunately, after only 3 days of ownership, the rim started rusting in multiple places. Upon further inspection, I noticed rust marks in other areas also --- inside the main pole (this part is not powder coated as well as the exterior of the pole), and the 2 support beams were also exhibiting rust marks. Again -- this happened after ONLY 3 days of use.

Before purchasing this particular model, I had read other reports of rust over time -- but based on these reviews I was hoping to get ~ 2 years of use out of this product before it would need to be replaced. I was willing to accept this fact given the relatively low price of the unit. Additionally, I took extra care to hose off the unit with hose water at the end of each day it was used in an attempt to extend the life of the unit - obviously, this did not help.

I should add that Amazon was amazing to deal with throughout the return process (they always have been in my experience.) The unit was sent back today for a refund --- now I just need to find a new hoop...

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a FANTASTIC pool side basketball goal, September 13, 2014
This is a FANTASTIC pool side basketball goal. The fun rating for the family (including two 10-year-old boys and mom and dad) is a 10 out of 10. Well worth the money. Nice indention in base to store a basketball. Only negatives: it has indeed slightly rusted fairly quickly (around hoop ring and bolts) and it is a rather cumbersome process to put together. I would GLADLY pay $50-$100 more for this same goal with stainless steel components that do not rust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pool fun, May 29, 2014
Bought this to replace an in ground basketball goal that had rusted. Looked at other systems but I liked the portability and sturdiness of this goal. It's higher above the pool than other goals we've had but it makes it more of a challenge. For the smaller kids, I bought a smaller ball. I'd recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars good all around product but rust is beggining to come, July 14, 2014
Overall this is a very good product. Rust is beginning to appear around the rim and some other spots on the hoop within a month of use. Other than that it seems fine

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent but has downsides, July 30, 2014
Overall it is a good hoop once I got it set up. The instructions for setup had no words, they were all pictures so at times they were hard to follow exactly what I should be doing. Once I did get it set up I found that it was missing the plug to where you fill it with water or sand. However it still does it's purpose and I got what I expected, just not the easiest to assemble. I have not had this product for very long so I am still waiting to see if it will end up rusting over time.

Rate and Discover Movies