Published on March 6, 2011 by Two kids mom

2.0 out of 5 stars Lifetime 1531 Complete Portable Basketball System
Okay product....I give it only 2 stars due to the fact that, as soon as we put some water in the base for stability and then tried to move it (which is essentially what one should be able to do being that the base is equipped with wheels) it sprung 2 large leaks! So, after some home repairs, we ditched the water-filled-base idea and chose to fill the base with sand...
Published 14 months ago by Kristen Gasaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifetime stood by the product warranty on our older version of this hoop., March 6, 2011
This review is from: Lifetime 1531 Complete Portable Basketball System, 48" Shatter Guard Backboard (Sports)
We have an older version of this basketball hoop. In fact it is 4 years and 10 months old. This is important because the warranty was five years. At 4 years and 10 months the backboard cracked when the kids were using it. A large hole developed after a few more shots. I emailed the company, sent in some photos (as requested) and the Amazon receipt (another nice thing about Amazon, they keep track of when you bought stuff for you) of the backboard. They shipped me a new backboard free of charge in a few days. It is nice to see a company that stands by its products. They were cheerful about replacing it.

Other than that it has served us well, never fallen over even in 45 MPH winds and the base and pole were still in fine shape after 4 plus years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good buy..., March 18, 2011
This was the cheapest 48" goal I could find anywhere on the web and in town. For the money the goal is good but does have some issues. It took me about 2 hours to assemble it. Assembly is pretty clean but some additional close up pictures of some of the steps would be helpful. If you decide to use water for the base make sure to put water in after you have placed the goal in its final resting spot. The plastic base is not built with a very strong thick grade of plastic. As a result of trying to move the goal with the water in the base we sprung a leak and I had to patch the plastic base with glue. Moving it on flat surface even with water also will prevent this type of damage from occurring. It rolls fine with water in the base but going over driveway curb ends, etc. can create a problem for the base.

Not included and which I feel is very important is a top pole cap. They talk in the manual about making sure there are no rust spots on the pole and if there are any that develop over the years how to patch them. The outside of the pole is painted black. However, that is only 50% of the pole surface. The other 50% is on the inside of the pole. The inside has no paint to protect it from rust. Thus with no pole cap any rain water will enter the pole from the top and make it rust from the inside. This is even more dangerous since you can't even see this potential degradation. I ended up solving this problem myself by using a plastic peanut butter jar as a cap. It fitted perfectly inside the pole (use the smaller jars of peanut butter). I painted it black so it would match. I do not have the years of age on it so time will tell how it holds up. The bolts are zinc and not stainless so they are not really made to stand up to water over a long period of time. I guess maybe paying more for a goal might get more bells and whistles like stainless parts among other refinements. Other than that for the price ($156 total delivered) you can't beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good hoop, February 23, 2011
Couldn't have asked for a better hoop in this price range.

I'm only pointing out a few things that I thought was useful but couldn't figure out when I was deciding on which to buy:

-I filled with water, and it is just fine no chance of it falling over
-Yes you do bend a piece of plastic for the mounting/adjusting mechanism of the backboard->pole, but it is mainly a sliding guide, and doesn't seem like it will break over time
-Easy adjusting with a broom stick. Push the rim itself to raise, push the metal behind the backboard to lower
-Backboard does wobble a bit when you hit the backboard, but not to the point where it gets annoying (you can still shoot bank shots). More motivation to shoot swishes anyway
-Backboard does not "deaden" the ball that badly
-Wheels on the front so you can tilt and move the hoop after you fill it, though it is pretty heavy even with just water
-Installation took me awhile, but is not hard. Read the instructions, on my manual there was a picture with an extra screw which does not exist and does not show up in the item list. Don't let that confuse you.

Hope that helps

5.0 out of 5 stars EXELENT!, November 6, 2011
My 10 year old son and I put it together. Took about two hours for us to assemble the unit. In the base we used Water and RV Anti Freeze instead of the 361 Lbs of sand requested. The base holds 31 gallons of water, and I used 10 gallons of RV antifreeze, regular auto anti freeze will damage the plastic base and the RV antifreeze is Eco Friendly. My boy LOVES this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars good hoop, good price, October 4, 2011
We got this hoop for our 10 year old son. It is a good product for the price. There are plenty more expensive ones out there but this is was a good quality hoop. Relatively easy to put together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Assembly is tedious, July 9, 2011
MC (Tampa, FL USA) - See all my reviews
The hoops works well once assembled, but putting it together was harder than I thought it would be. It took about 2.5 hrs to figure it out. We tried with 2 people at first, but you really need 3. The instructions aren't the most easy to understand either. But once we got it together, we've enjoyed using it. Overall, it was worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifetime Basketball hoop, May 10, 2011
Overall: Very satisfied with product, delivery, and price

Pros: Easy to assemble, with good instructions, stable base, easy to adjust, happy with quality of product. My son loves it

Cons: The one difficult portion of the assembly I did bracing the mounting pole against two trash cans while holding it up and trying to tighten the nuts. Have a second person to help.

I put this together in about 2 hours in the garage. It was relatively easy, except for one step where you mount the backboard to the mounthing pole. You need an extra set of strong hands. I made one additional error, after it was fully assembled I filled the base with sand and water, and then decided to move the hoop... big mistake.... it is heavy ... set it in the desired place then fill it, moving this thing is not easy.

Overall I highly recommend this product, much cheaper than buying at the sporting good stores, and it was delivered right to the garage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, April 15, 2011
Shopping on line can be difficult at times. I had so many questions about this basket ball 'system'. I was looking for an adjustable hight hoop for my grandson who is 8. It had to be sturdy, yet protable. It was impossible for me to determine all this by a few photo's on the screen, so I went to a very large sporting goods store in the area and found the exact unit for $100.00 more, plus delivery. I could see it was just what I was looking for, so I ordered it on line and it took only 3 days to arrive. Needless to say, my grandson is outside from morning to night shooting and enjoying this awesome very sturdy basketball 'system'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, June 9, 2013
Really enjoy the completed product, a little lengthy to put together (4hours & 2 people) so call a friend to help. assembly instructions could be more staight foward but they are never made easy to read. Definitely have a ratchet set handy. I did not fill the base with anything I have a very high garage so I am able to wheel the hoop in and out with ease. If you live in a windy area buy a couple of bags of sand and leave them on top of the base instead of filling it up it should do the trick to keep the hoop from getting blown over. Over all very satisfied good way to work on your jump shot and burn some calories in the process

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value basketball hoop system, May 25, 2013
Purchased and received the basketball hoop system as promised in no time (thanks, Amazon Prime). No damage to packaging and all contents were verified. I agree with previous reviews that a few steps you have to do a "double take" and carefully interpret the diagrams. For the most part 95% of the documentation is reasonable and with the exception of a handful of steps only require one person. A good set of wrenches and/or socket wrench is a must. Great for my 8 year old... overall time for assembly was 2 hours over 2 days.