The Lifting Dress (National Poetry Series)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.25 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Paperback
I loved this book! I don't know anything about poetry so I started off reading interesting titles: "The Sawgrass Women Make Me Nervous" and "The Year My Mother and I Mistook the Pool for a Father." But, I saw a progression and evolution while reading from "The Just Bled Girl Refuses to Speak" to "The Just-Bled Girl Writes a Petition on Hotel Paper." Lauren has a clever and endearing way of seeing beauty through pain and the emotions of a teenage girl. After one read I have a couple favorite lines: "Lord! If there is a church for a woman like me it is the second floor of the public library" and "I love you, Tallahasee; it has been a beautiful time here, thank you so much for your floorboard religion, the hymns coupled with bottles of bleach, and the wives scrubbing Bible ink from their pubic hair." The poems were easy to read and the words created fun and bright images of Florida and teenage sisters and a beautiful young woman with more than a few secrets and surprises in her life!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again