5.0 out of 5 stars Sets up Very Easily and Works Perfectly
I purchased this to enable the Homelink (HL below) button in a 2000 vehicle with a new LiftMaster garage door opener. LiftMaster includes an HL insert with their doors saying that any vehicle model year 2006 and earlier will require this repeater kit. This is due to a change in the HL data protocols that make it incompatible with older vehicles.

The...
Published 14 months ago by PB2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked, but instructions VERY unclear. No battery backup.
Homelink, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways....

Having a nice new Chamberlain opener and a 2007 Nissan and 2006 Lexus, of course their HomeLinks won't play with that opener.

I have a background in electronics and fix televisions for fun, and this was a royal pain to get working.

First of all, THE REMOTE IS NOT A REMOTE...
Published 19 months ago by W. Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets up Very Easily and Works Perfectly, October 21, 2013
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit

The instructions are quite clear. The 'remote' is solely used to program the vehicle's HL button. After that, keep it in case you ever need to reprogram that button or program another HL button.

The repeater is the unit with the wire antenna - on the right side of the picture as of when I'm writing this. It has an AC plug. It can plug into an AC outlet and not interfere with a regular plug in the other outlet.

It took less than five minutes to setup the unit and operate the opener through the HL button in the vehicle. Here is a short form instruction set, assuming you already know the HL basics for your vehicle:

1. Erase your vehicle's HL buttons. See vehicle owner's manual. Probably hold two outer buttons down until LED starts blinking rapidly.

2. Press and hold down both the HL button you want to program and the button on the remote that comes with the repeater. Keep both pressed until vehicle HL LED blinks rapidly. With my vehicle this took less than one second although they say it may take up to about 30 seconds.

3. Plug the repeater into an AC outlet.

4. Press Learn button on the garage door opener or the main control panel on the wall if it has one. Within about 20 to 30 seconds, press the HL button in the vehicle that you just programmed. Keep it pressed until the garage door opener responds. The LiftMaster blinks its light. You're done. Test it.

Some reviewers commented that the repeater won't work if you have a power outage and that therefore the repeater ought to have a battery. That seems a valid point although it is only relevant if (a) your opener has battery backup and (b) you do not have a generator providing AC backup for your house during a power outage. Another work-around, though, is to have an external (to the house) remote keypad. This is usually an available option for the opener and it will probably work so long as your opener is powered.

Highly recommended if you have a vehicle that requires it.

If this review was useful please let me know by voting for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Saved My Sanity, but Should Not be Necessary, January 19, 2014
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
This device allows my 2011 Mazda to operate my 2012 Chamberlain garage door opener. It works well, but should not be needed. I don't know whose throat needs a good choking, but it is inconceivable to me that the new version of HomeLink is not backward compatible with the old version. It takes up one of two outlets on the ceiling next to my opener, which means I had to find a different solution for powering my shop light. It also has no battery backup itself, therefore it defeats the battery backup feature of the opener itself. The device works fine and is easy to set up, but should not be needed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked, but instructions VERY unclear. No battery backup., May 25, 2013
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
Homelink, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways....

First of all, THE REMOTE IS NOT A REMOTE.

You see the little box with the button on it next to the receiver?

Will it actually send a signal and open your garage door? NO.

I got to the point of disassembling the unit, reading the chip numbers, measuring voltages and trying to reverse-engineer it before I noted that the instructions NEVER tell you to test it with the little looks-like-a-remote (LLAR) that comes with it.

Why don't the instructions say that? Would it not be logical that the remote transmitter would operate the remote receiver? It won't.

The LLAR exists ONLY to feed signal to the Homelink in your vehicle, so don't lose it, or you'll need to buy another one of these if you get another vehicle. In fact, take out the battery and get some double sided foam tape and attach it to the receiver.

This unit is a 'wall wart' that takes up more than half the outlet. Since I already had opener and shop light plugged in, I had to mount a whole power strip up by the opener, since now I need THREE outlets. A little science-fair project there on the ceiling.

If the power goes out, my Chamberlain has a battery backup, but this unit does not. I guess I could put a shelf above my garage door opener and install a APC UPS to feed the .0002 watts this thing uses, not.

Their helpful instructions are to keep the original remote in the glove box for if the power goes out.....seriously, who does that? I've got enough electronics and other junk in my glove box already. This would then just serve as a nagging reminder of how much I hate Homelink. Does anyone ever actually put gloves in their glove box? But I digress....

WHY not put a 9V battery in this thing? It would run for a year. Or just a rechargeable battery...perhaps the news of that invention has not reached those who designed this modern marvel.

Or even better, make it run off 12V and Chamberlain would give you a little wiring harness to run it off the huge gel-cell battery inside the opener, then put magnets on the back so it would stick to the housing of the opener (I should invent these things).

I was tempted to hack it and the garage door opener to run it off the internal power supply of the opener, or perhaps Chamberlain could just build this $5 circuit into their opener, but I digress.

Including the time spent taking it apart, since I thought it was dead, and the time spent mounting a power strip and doing the mystical and frustrating procedure that is involved with programming the Homelink buttons and getting my garage door to learn the new remote sources, it all works.....about three hours later.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, but range is short, so be careful where you place it!!, September 16, 2014
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
This works as described, to enable older (2011 and earlier) vehicles with Homelink to work with the newer Liftmaster / Chamberlain openers. Very important to follow the two different sequence steps.

1) the first step uses the pseudo-remote provided with the repeater to teach your vehicle's Homelink what frequency to be using to communicate with the repeater (the pseudo-remote generates the appropriate frequency signal for your vehicle to train on, and you MUST have this pseudo-remote to do this step). The regular remotes with the opener use a different frequency to connect direct to the opener, and CANNOT be used to train your vehicle's Homelink buttons.

2) the second step is where you link your vehicle Homelink button to work with the new opener, but with the vehicle's signal being communicated to the repeater, which in turn relays it to the opener. This step is pretty straightforward (push the learn button on the opener, then push the vehicle button within 30 seconds), but must be followed exactly!! And if you haven't done step 1) above, you are wasting your time.

A couple of tips:

1) start off by resetting/clearing all the remote buttons in your vehicle (typically by pressing and holding the two outside buttons for 20-30 seconds until the LED blinks repeatedly. Then program the new opener as above. Then program any of the other vehicle Homelink buttons. In my case I have three doors with a mix of new (rolling) and old (non-rolling code) openers of different brands. Using the various manual remotes I can program each of the three buttons in my vehicle independently to operate one door each, so each button has its own frequency/communications protocol.

2) the range between the vehicle and the repeater is very limited. I had initially plugged the repeater into the garage ceiling, but where it was somewhat blocked and without good direct line access to my vehicle and its approach path. I was wasting time trying to get the programming to work, when the issue was actually range between vehicle and repeater. So after banging my head over a couple of days and reading various posts, I decided to try plugging the repeater into an extension cord and having it close to the vehicle. Bingo - the programming worked as described, and door operation was fine. I then plugged the repeater back into the ceiling outlet without the extension cord, but bared the end of the repeater antenna wire and soldered on a three or four foot extension of thin wire which hangs down from the ceiling and to the point where there is more of a direct line access between to the vehicle and the extended antenna from the repeater, and not blocked by the beams and garage front, etc. Problem solved (finally!!).

Hope this detail save others some time and frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly, May 23, 2013
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
Easy to install and use. Would recommend if your garage door system has issues with your car's Homelink. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remedy to increase distance of the repeater getting signal from your homelink rearview mirror., August 10, 2014
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
For those who have issue with weak signal (unable to open the garage if the car is farther away from the front of garage) I would like you guys to try plugging in the repeater unit about the height of the car's windshield if you have a power outlet in that location. I found out that when I plugged in the repeater at the ceiling where my garage door opener is also hooked up, the reception is way to weak. It does not make sense at first since I thought the higher the better. Repeater at the ceiling height , i could only open the garage door if the car is in front of the garage. I also find myself pushing the homelink button in the rearview mirror a lot of times.

So I did try relocating (plugging in ) the repeater in the middle of the garage wall (about windshield height) and now I could open the garage about 15 cars away from the garage front. Make sure also that the antenna is straight and pointing down towards the ground or floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get vehicle's Homelink to work with our Craftsman Garage Door Opener., March 13, 2013
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
The device is Great!!! Tried for many hours to get vehicle Homelink to work our NEW Craftsman Garage Door Opener.....after researching the problem I purchased the Homelink Repeater. Once the repeater was plugged in and ready to go....I programmed two vehicles in less than 10 minutes. If you're having difficulty programming the Homelink Button in your vehicle with a Craftsman garage door opener.....this is the Solution. Worth every penny!

1.0 out of 5 stars Product doesn't work!!!, December 11, 2013
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
Product doesn't work!!! Spent hours on the phone with a technician attempting to get this item to communicate with my garage door opener and my car with no luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but really should not be needed (IMO), February 7, 2014
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
I required this because my newest garage door was not compatible with a 2008 HomeLink in a Acura or Lexus. Someone HomeLink or Garage door opener manufacture made a change that was not necessary. And one thing to note and it is not in the directions anywhere (with the device or online) clear all the codes in your car before attempting. You will have a much easier time of things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine With Proper Placement, April 14, 2014
This review is from: Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
It's a bit slow to respond but does the job if you place it properly.

Pros:
Allows me to use the HomeLink transmitter in my 2006 Dodge Magnum.

Cons:
Slow (1-2 seconds) to respond.
Very short range if you put it in the wrong spot.

I'd read complaints about this device having a very-very short range and at first I agreed with the complaints. I'd made the mistake of following the instructions and placing the repeater near the opener and had to pull into the driveway before I was close enough to open the door, I thought about this a bit and soon realized that my metal door was blocking the signal. After moving the repeater to directly over the garage door (level with the soffit) the range increased to at least 100-150 feet if not more. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is the slow response to the HomeLink button.