Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel 2.0 Scout 3,000 Strike Fire Starter with Emergency Whistle
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on June 11, 2008
The Firesteel Scout is a great way to start a fire. I taught my Boy Scout troop and my 8yr old daughter how to start a fire with it. My daughter took 2 hours to start her first fire (she was very determined). After a lot of practice, she can now get it in a few minutes.

The secret to great sparks is a steady stroke and a lot of pressure. The stroke is more of a wrist movement than an arm movement. This allows you to keep the firesteel steadily pointed at your tinder and direct the sparks. The adults and older Boy Scouts were able to light a fire in a few strokes. The younger ones had trouble with getting pressure on the striker (like my daughter).

The best tinder I have found is cotton balls soaked in vasoline petroleum jelly (the original, unsented kind). I smash/work the vasoline into the cotton balls and store them in a water-tight 35mm film canister (you can stuff many balls into the canister). When you want to start a fire, take some cotton out and "fluff" it up a lot by pulling it apart a bunch. The little cotton fibers are what catch the sparks and light on fire. The more tiny fibers there are, the easier it is to set it ablaze. The cotton ball then continues to burn the petroleum jelly and cotton like a mini fireball. I routinely start a fire with one or two strokes.

Depending on how wet your kindling and twigs are, you can use more or less of the cotton from the film canister. A large cotton ball will burn for quite a long time and allow damp or wet leaves, twigs and sticks to catch fire.

Another useful tinder is an alcohol based hand sanitizer. Squeeze some onto leaves, dry grass, or small twigs and spark away. The alcohol flames are invisible during daylight, so be careful. Don't have it on your hands when you spark the Firesteel or you risk catching your hands on fire!

When backpacking, I carry the Scout Firesteel, matches and a BIC lighter. I haven't used the matches in a LONG time, and the lighter is used when I am lazy.

I plan on purchasing the Army model for general camping/scouting use since it is larger and longer lasting (the kids/scouts are always wanting to use it). The smaller version that fits on a keychain should also work, but having the longer piece of firesteel in the Scout (or Army) model allows for a nice big shower of sparks. Looking at the wear pattern on my well-used firesteel, the keychain model may be too short to produce the same quality and quantity of sparks.
22 comments|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2009
Love this little pocket fire-starter. In the movies, or on shows like Survivorman, Les Stroud makes it seem so easy to start a fire. Well he's an expert survival man, but this handy little pocket-sized flint/steel starter makes fire-starting almost a breeze.

If you're in windy conditions, where matches or traditional methods fail, this thing comes through. The key to getting this to work effectively, is applying lots of pressure as you stroke the steel piece against the rod. This creates about 5 to 10 times the amount of sparks, which instead of evaporating into thin air, actually fall down onto your tinder, and light your fire.

I recommend practicing a few times to understand the importance of applying pressure like I mentioned. After all, you can only use it 15 thousand times! Easy 5 stars.
on July 5, 2011
Light my fire continues to improve upon an already quality product. We use these Scouts as color coded keychains for our various car keys. Every keychain in my family has a firesteel, peanut lighter, and AAA led flashlight (and everyone carries an EDC knife), not to mention similar in-car bug out bags and first aid kits.

Model 2.0 has a few improvements...namely, the finger grooves in the striker and the rod...which make it much easier to hold. Also, the striker has a built-in whistle. Which is fantastic, as I can now remove the "emergency whistle" and replace it with this striker. Anytime a tool can have more than one function, that's a bonus....and I believe in having redundant ways to start a fire on you at all times...so, the Scout 2.0 is a definite improvement.

We'll bring an "Army" model and leave that in the glove compartment for specific camping trips. But, for EDC, this smaller Scout model makes a great keychain.

You can pick up the earlier "Scout" model for cheaper now...but the 2.0 is worth picking up, as the improvements are subtle, but smart.

These all ship with a protective lacquer on the rod. A couple of scrapes with the striker or a knife removes the protective coating. Personally, I leave the coating on for those in use with the keychain, and buy an extra "practice" unit for everyone in the family to understand how they work. That way the "new" or "fresh" unit is always at the ready with their keys....
55 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2008
Finally got to try out my firesteel recently and I must say that it definitely works as advertised. Keeps on sparking once you manage to get the protective layer off. My only gripe is that I find the Scout Model a bit too small for my hands. Should have paid a bit more for the larger Army Model...
on August 24, 2011
Be wary of the $9.50 free shipping fire steel from SecurityProUSA. It IS NOT the Light My Fire brand fire steel, it is a "MilitaryGear" model from military-gear-sales.com which they are selling for $10 more than securitypro. This steel also has the thumb grooves and whistle with an added button compass. The whistle on the striker handle takes some practice to use, but does work. The button compass on the steel handle seems to be your typical button compass(i.e. average general direction). Also, the box on this fire steel states that it has an approximate 12,000 strikes which is comparable to light my fire army model instead of the stated 3,000 for the scout. The fire steel itself seems to be OK, I lit some lint, but have not put it through full testing. If you go to the militarygear website, they have a youtube video of their fire steel lighting some bundled paper and stuff. All in all, I will keep this one, but will buy a true Light My Fire model soon. Also, as a plus to securitypro they did have fast shipping. Ordered Saturday night and received Wednesday.
on December 31, 2013
I purchased one of these from Amazon and tried to start a few fires using dry materials. Frankly, it's just a LOT easier to use a magnesium-based fire starter than this firesteel. This throws a good spark like all of the Swedish firesteel products, but the spark dissipates far too quickly in anything but extremely dry and easily combustible materials. I know guys can do it - I just question WHY they would do it using firesteel when magnesium is such a cheap and easily lit alternative that works on ANYTHING?!
on January 17, 2011
I am in the Civil Air Patrol and was looking for a Fire Starter to keep with me on our Search and Rescue Ground Missions. I searched Amazon and read all the reviews and decided to purchase this one. What a great product !! Set at a low price but has the First Class ingredients for a Life Saveing emergency tool !! I have already tested this in all kinds of weather and it works every time. Has plenty of spark for windy days and is small enough not to take up space. The design allows for comfortable grip and doesnt require alot of effort for maximan use. With all the natural weather storms we have, it would be wise to at least have this on hand. In a disaster, having a fire going is a comfortable feeling and could save your life when you least expect it. I plan on buying a few more to know that would be one less thing to worry about !! When the lights go out---so does your heat !!!
on October 19, 2012
I just received the new 2.0 fire starter from Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel. I haven't had a chance to try it out just yet, but I will update this review once I do.

The fire starter and striker is the perfect size and the sides of each piece has a comfortable indention for your thumbs. I love the "zombie" green as well!

I've uploaded some pictures that may help you.
review image review image
on July 19, 2011
The rod came off the cheap little handle after only a few uses. I did not abuse it, I was rather gentle.
on September 2, 2011
I keep one of these in with our camping gear and never hike without another in my pocket with a cotton ball or two. They work in the cold and they even work wet. My son and I have a tradition - we have never started a campfire with anything but these. We haven't even packed matches or a lighter in years - these things are that dependable. I've given these out as gifts to kids who like camping and they are so proud of themselves for being able to safely make a campfire. If you know an outdoorsy kid (or spouse!)- put one of these in his stocking this Christmas and see for yourself.