Light & Motion Taz 800 Light
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- The Taz features side lighting to maximize visibility on roadways and has a dedicated button to toggle the side lights on/off Battery charge level indicator
- Cruise mode cycles through High, Medium, Low and Flash sequentially. When it's time to get your speed on, switch to Race mode using a two-second push and hold (starting with the light powered off).
- Race mode skips the Medium and Flash modes, allowing you to conserve battery power on the climbs while keeping the High setting just a click away for the descents
- Runtime: High-2:00 Med-4:00 Low-8:00 Pulse-12:00 Flash-24:00
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
|Item Dimensions||6 x 6 x 6 inches|
|Item Weight||0.62 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||0.5 pounds|
Top Customer Reviews
Excellent build quality. Very good light output, uniform beam pattern, battery life as-expected according to the manufacturer's claims. On the brightest setting this light competes with the headlight of a 150cc motor scooter. Point it DOWN towards the road at or after dusk to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.
Things I don't like:
- Light & Motion's decision to go with a rubberized-strap mounting method.
- For city/urban use, it would be nice to have a proper beam cut-off, i.e. the way car headlights are "focused downward" to avoid glare. Even when tilting this light well down (throwing the main beam about 7 to 10 feet in front of the bike,) there's still more glare than necessary into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
The rubberized mounting strap on the Taz 800 (and 1200) is a step down in convenience, esp. for an urban cyclist who needs to stop & lock up a bike multiple times on an errand run through the city at night. It's early yet, but I have my doubts about the long-term durability of the strap, also.
I had L&M's original "Vega" light for >6 years, in fact I still use it as a backup light. The Vega had the best mounting system I've ever seen in a bike headlight. Rock-solid, but also easy to take on & off in less than a second, with one hand. Extremely durable, too.
---Updated: 2013-09-12 ---
While the main light continued to work fine, the secondary button activating the side-lights failed, so the side-lights could no longer be activated.
Submitted a warranty RMA-request through Light & Motion, they responded within a week and send out a brand-new replacement Taz 1000 at no cost. Excellent service.
Now it acts very weirdly. First light got very weak, but it did not complain about low battery. Now it won't charge, and gives barely any light. It has a 2 year warranty, so I'll update with my warranty experience with the Light & Motion company.
If you find the two-hour battery life on 'high' a bit disappointing, don't worry because low and medium offer enough output that you'll only need to use the highest setting on pitch-black dark trails, back roads, or in heavy city traffic if you NEED to be seen. While riding along the riverfront in my city, I managed to get the attention of everybody coming towards me and even scared a guy into thinking I was a car. And this was with the light on low! As others have said, keep the light pointed down otherwise you'll be angering those jogging, biking, or driving towards you. My advice is to save the discotheque flash mode for the road or risk inducing seizures. I personally find it distracting and don't use it but will say having the amber side lights (like those on a car) is very nice. Another nice touch is the power button doubling as a battery charge level gauge. Green means you're a-okay, orange means 50% or less is remaining and when it goes red, you've got less than 25%. When it starts flashing red, you better plug it in soon but even before it dies completely, it warns you with a rapid-fire red flash.
My only gripes about the 800 are the lengthy charge times (best to do it overnight) and the rubber strap. So far it's held up but my experience with these in the past has not always been positive so I'll refrain from a 5-star rating until we see how that holds up.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It works great! It makes it daylight when I ride. I can see everything on the trail and now I can ride anytime of day.Published on November 25, 2013 by sean ruane
This Light and Motion Taz 800 WILL light up the road ahead, aside, and around. I have not yet even tried it on the highest setting. Read morePublished on July 26, 2013 by mrhandrold