Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

86%
14%
Format: MP3 Music|Change

on October 17, 2008
I discovered The Shore back in '03 when they had a scarce 4-song EP floating around and were playing regular sparsely-attended gigs at the Silverlake Lounge in LA. Somewhat reminiscent of The Verve, front man Ben Ashley's croon is in the same vein as the Verve's Ashcroft, but with more range IMO. In fact, I would rate his voice and the music in general a notch above their predecessor's.

Their first album "The Shore" has been one of my top-5-listened-to discs since it came out four years ago, so my expectations for Light Years were incredibly high. I've only had it for a few days now, but according to my itunes I've listened to it 8 times already, so based on that I am declaring it a complete success and actually probably an improvement on their first album.

I cannot stop listening to "Rising Flood," it reminds me of Ashcroft's On A Beach but with an even more wistful flair and cool little sonic flourishes that permeate every nook and cranny of the song. I've always been a little suspicious of referring to any rock music as "art" per se, but what takes it in that direction is the craftsmanship that goes into the songs. And you get the feeling that Ashley and Co. did not simply record these songs in one take and move on to the next, there is thought put into the production and album wasn't signed sealed and delivered until Ashley had approved every guitar strum, drumbeat and vocal. The result is a very easygoing and satisfying listening experience that has you returning to it over and over to listen again.

You can have this music on in the background while you're working or at home or driving and something strange happens. It begins to burrow into you brain like a leech to the point that you can't go more than two days without listening to it again. If this disc is anything like the first one, and early returns are that it is even better, "Light Years" will be an old friend that I will turn to when times are tough, when times are good, or if I just need to hear a little well-produced ear candy for no other reason then to enjoy well-produced easygoing music for the sake of it.
on December 11, 2013
Here's the problem---It's not on cd. These guys are great, but we need some major label to pick them up. one cd, one LP, and one internet download. I own cd's and I would like to have the 2nd and 3rd pieces of music but there are not on cd. Anyway, the songs and music is great.
on June 24, 2011
I would strongly recommend this album and band to any fans of Oasis, The Verve and alternative rock in general. Every song is listenable, there is no filler and it is a great follow up to their 2004 debut. It's such a shame that this very talented band are so unknown as they deserve greater recognition. Physical copies of this album have proven impossible to obtain in the UK so a download was my only choice.
on January 1, 2012
Having been a long time fan of this LA group since I first saw them live in 2005, their second release was a welcome surprise - you will not be disappointed. The double album has all the musical quality and style of the Shore's first album and really shows off Ben Ashley's songwriting and Rick Parker's producing skills. The new album delivers everything one would expect from this band; well crafted music, great blending of sounds, unique instrumentation - all with the Shore's signature styles. The class and consistency of this group's music has never let me down. After a second release of this quality it always defies logic why this band has not received the attention they deserve. Looking forward your third release!
on October 14, 2008
I'm very happy to have some good tunes by The Shore. Good beats, great instrumentals, and soothing lyrics. Good stuff, hopefully it comes out on disc so I can purchase that as well.
on October 22, 2015
Whole album is good.every song
on March 16, 2014
British band Cast (survivors from the La's) released two great albums (All Change and Magic Hour), then fizzled. The Shore could be their successors, and "Light Years" is the lost Third Album Cast should have made. Swaggering British guitar rock, skillfully constructed.