5.0 out of 5 stars So many intense emotions invoked in this book!
Published on August 19, 2010 by Valerie Matteson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Over Despriptive
Published on August 6, 2012 by Greg Guillen

5.0 out of 5 stars So many intense emotions invoked in this book!, August 19, 2010
I finished reading this book almost a week ago but there were just so many emotions and thoughts that it left whirling in my head that I need time to contemplate them. This is a first-time author so I expected quite a few flaws in the story lines and character development, but that simply wasn't the case here. This is very well written and what really surprised me was how I started reading it and, at first, in the Prologue was a little puzzled and my interest just a little peaked. However, the more I read and really got involved almost personally in the main character, Devon, and her life and then her family, best friend, and ex-fiance's lives, it seemed I had to just keep reading and reading to learn more about them and what would happen to all of them.

Drawing the reader in with tidbits, insight, visits to the past and actions and events in the present all served to snag my focus so that I read the book in less than 24 hours even with sleeping and eating and working. While getting interested in plot lines is exciting when reading a book by a new author especially, it was more important to me how much the author gets the reader so emotionally involved.

I felt sympathy, empathy, sorrow, anger and joy along with wonder and humor to just name a few of the many feelings experienced within this story.

As a Vine reviewer for Amazon, I have read quite a few books by first-time authors and I would highly recommend this book as definitely one of the top ten I have read in recent years.

Get it and read it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new novel from a promising new writer, August 19, 2010
I started reading this book and was completely engrossed in it within the first few chapters. I literally could not put it down.

It was a beautiful, emotional and exciting story.

I loved how the author intertwined poetry with prose. The characters were extremely well thought out and it was very easy to identify personally with several of them.

The author takes you on a journey that you just don't want to end.

Can't wait to see more from Ms. Pearce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and elegiacal, May 9, 2011
A Lighter Shade of Gray tells the story of its narrator, Devon, as she becomes embroiled in a homicide investigation in which her best friend, Cass, is a suspect. Unfolding against the backdrop of the picturesque Florida port of St Augustine, A Lighter Shade of Gray is a fast-moving and exciting story of murder, mystery and madness. It is also a story of love found and lost as Devon recounts the waxing and waning of her romance with childhood sweetheart, Drew. More than that, it is an, at times, profound study of the nature and (un)reality of memory and the vicelike and seductive grips it can hold us in. It is great testament to the talents of the author that she can weave such reflections (an appropriate word given the book's recurring motifs of the double and the looking glass) into her lyrical prose without ever letting up on the entertainment or propelling the narrative forward. A Lighter Shade of Gray is full of the poet's acute observations of emotions, but whilst the aches of the narrator's regrets and longing are keenly felt, there is always a wry sense of humour close at hand to off-set the pain. This is an accomplished debut novel by an up-and-coming American author who has attained sure command of her craft.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Over Despriptive, August 6, 2012
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
This book was interesting enough for me to want to get to the end but many times I was tired of the author being too descriptive. The book would have been better if it was about 350 pages. interesting twists and turns and the murder mystery part of the book was not disturbing which was a good thing for me. All in all a good book I just felt that the editing could have cut some non essential parts out.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, February 18, 2012
Sophie's Mom (Central Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
Like many of my Kindle books I've picked them up when they were a Deal of the Day. This one sounded interesting and the reviews were good so for 99 cents I thought "why not?".

This has turned out to be one of my favorite books and I can't wait to read more from Devon Pearse! It did take me a little to get into the book and characters but once in I was hooked. I absolutely fell in love with the story of Devon and Drew and hoped until the end they would live in "Neverland". I won't say any more so I don't ruin it for anyone who hasn't read this book yet. Of all the character's I have to say Aunt Tippy is one of my favorites. What a neat lady.

I stayed up late last night just to finish this book and couldn't wait to leave a review. My emotions were taken for a ride and I found myself going from laughter to tears within a few pages.

Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting read that has much to make readers think, October 9, 2010
No one is perfect, and no one is without value. "A Lighter Shade of Gray" tells the story of Devon, a woman with much baggage in her life, fearing that she will one day fall into the mental illness that has befallen her mother. Her situation is made worse when her best friend becomes embroiled in a murder investigation, and Devon believes her to be lying about her involvement. A story of deception, betrayal, and facing the mistakes of one's past while dealing with the future, "A Lighter Shade of Gray" is a riveting read that has much to make readers think.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book clearly written from the heart, June 22, 2010
An excellent book. I was captured from the first sentence. She drew such vivid word pictures, that I could see the characters and the story clearly.

I laughed, I cried. This novel moved me greatly, and got me involved, deeply, with Devon, her friends and her family.

I'm looking forward to more books from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, I loved it!, June 27, 2012
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
For years, Devon watched her mother sink further and further into the mire of mental illness, and developed a fear that she would someday meet the same fate. This fear let her to push away her one great love, the man for whom she fought so hard throughout her youth. Now, ten years later, her best friend Cass is facing crisis. Suspected to be involved with the murder of her sister's abusive boyfriend, Cass drags Devon into the tangled web of half truths and secrets. But, it turns out, Devon has a few secrets of her own. Can Devon reconcile her friendship, come to terms with her lost love, and deal with her mother's alternate reality? And how do all these fractured parts of Devon's life make up the bigger picture?

I was cautioned by the publisher to heed each word that was written in this story, because each word was chose with purpose and meaning. At 470 pages, this semi-autobiographical novel is a beast, yet the publisher was right, each and every word had an impact. Because the book is semi-autobiographical, we learn quite a bit about the author's life, and are left to wonder what is fact and what is fiction (a process I with which I was fascinated). Hemingway is mentioned as a particular literary favorite of Devon's, and I think he has a tremendous impact on her writing style. That same lavish, deliberate use of words to create detail, and really paint a picture for the reader.

While the story does have a lot of major and minor plot points, they somehow make perfect sense to me. Perhaps it is that blend of fact and fiction that makes it so. We are dealing with mental illness, abuse, gang violence, murder, lost love, fractured relationships of all kinds; it is a lot to handle. My favorite subplot was Devon dealing with the young girl Libby, who is hospitalized with Devon's mother. Devon allows her identity to become somewhat enmeshed with Libby's, and it lends an incredibly poignant quality to the story. I was pleased with the way that subplot was resolved in the end.

While this novel does contain qualities of a murder mystery, as well as a romance, it is so much more than that. In many ways, it is a ghost story, with Devon haunted by the ghosts of love scorned, and memories past. I think it will really appeal to fans of dramatic literature. Do not let the 470 pages daunt you; for me, they seemed to fly past. I just cannot say enough about how beautifully this book is written. I hope many readers find this when searching for that other, lesser quality book, about shades of grey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every emotion is attainable in this book, April 11, 2012
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
I was thoroughly capitvated by this book from beginning to end. My emotions ran rampant in this book from anger to anguish to laughing out loud. The characters were well thought out and I love the first person point of view. I feel it adds to the depth of emotion that Ms. Pearson is trying to convey. Buy this book...you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, October 3, 2011
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
This is an inventive, compelling and skillful novel.
I love the lively prose, the exciting pace, topped
off with a brillant, well-constructed plot. I actually
fell totally under the spell of this remarkable story.
Indeed, Pearse made my heart ache, emotions reel,
and my soul smile. This is a 'must' read! Looking forward