5.0 out of 5 stars Deep Roots to Rock - A Great Compilation
(So you know the source, I've been listening to the blues and blues-rock for decades, I'm a budding guitarist, and have been influenced by my brother who's played rock and blues for three decades.)

Published on November 26, 2005 by Matthew W. Bovee

3.0 out of 5 stars lightning in a bottle
Solomon Burke, B.B. King, Larry Johnson, Natalie Cole, Mavis Staples Are Excellent. Well Filmed. Great Sound Quality. THEN CHUCK D. RUINS THE SHOW!!!
Published on December 26, 2008 by jack d. horner

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep Roots to Rock - A Great Compilation, November 26, 2005
Matthew W. Bovee "weeblackdoggie" (Baldwin City, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)

The only "flaw" in this CD set is that it doesn't include the songs found as bonus tracks on the DVD (there you will find an electric blues piece by Buddy Guy, another one by Steve Tyler and Joe Perry, and a piece by 21st Century Blues - all three of which are scorchers and well worth having). Shame on the producers for not including those gems on this set. That said, the rest of it is a combination of a lesson in the blues punctuated with some amazing pieces. However, to get the full impact you might have to view the DVD. The Billie Holiday piece "Strange Fruit" is counterpointed by stills and videos of blacks hanged and left to rot in the south; The Buddy Guy rendition of his teacher's "I Can't Be Satisfied" (Muddy Waters) has lead-in still, movie and audio of children singing the original song that preceded it (as well as the well-worn tale of Guy's first attempts to make a guitar); there is footage of Guy talking about being invited to play with Muddy Waters, and of meeting and playing with Hendrix; the piece by 21st Century Blues is remarkable; Tyler and Perry burn the place down with their two performances. Gamblin' Man by Edwards is great, as is Turn on Your Love Light by Solomon Burke. Burke's recounting of having been hired to play for a KKK rally is chilling. Again, some these references are to the DVD and its bonus material. The CD would make it much easier to manage the songs.

If you're looking for recycled blues with hex-fuzz renditions of old mountain blues or Muddy Waters tunes, without the soul, feel or phrasing, then borrow the CD or rent the DVD before you buy. But, if you like the blues at their roots, I'm betting this compilation will have a well-worn place on your CD/DVD shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars See the movie, it rocks!!, December 2, 2004
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
if you wanna know about the history of the blues, get this CD. i just saw the film and its amazing. so many great performances of blues classics done by today's hottest artists. plus all the blues greats that are still kickin and jammin are on this too... it will make you wanna get up and dance, shout and sing the blues! hallelujah!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, February 23, 2006
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
This is an outstanding CD. The music is great. It has the artist talking about the songs unlike other CD's that cut the talking out.

The songs are great and I look forward to the DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Group of Blues Artists, December 19, 2005
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
I beg to differ with you M. Towne. Martin Scorsese is a brilliant film maker; does that presclude him from being being just as brilliant producing music? And who else, could or would, bring two hours of the blues with some of the best artists in the business to both the screen and on CD. Music and definitely not the blues are your forte. The music is excellent and only someone with his ability could put a show like this on at Radio City Music Hall. Reality check...there's a lot of great music and diversity here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightening in A Bottle, February 24, 2006
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
Awesome! If you love Memphis Blues, real down to earth, Soul, this CD, DVD, is a must own item. My Husband is 65, I am 67, we play the DVD, sometimes two or three times in a row, and the music forces up to get and up and rock out, like we did in the fifties, when we were both in our teens.The two disc CD is a constant out of my 6 CD's in my car.

4.0 out of 5 stars almost great, December 30, 2009
Vlad "Vlad" (SEVIERVILLE, TN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
This CD would have been absolutely great if it didn't include steven tyler/joe perry and chuck d....these 3 have no business on the same stage as all of the rest of this fantastic talent....Of course you can always FAST FORWARD through their segments

5.0 out of 5 stars This is for the true bluesfan, March 30, 2005
Michael Wheeler "Stratocaster" (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
On February 7, 2003 Marin Scorsese put together a blues concert at Radio City Music Hall.
This is probably the greatest group of blues player ever assembled in one concert.
There are many performers, so I will hit the highlights.
Mavis Staple does a version of "See that my grave is kept clean.
This is one of the better versions of the song I have heard.
Next is probably the "Gem" of the CD. David "Honeyboy" Edwards does a very strong acoustic version of his song "Gamblin Man.
It is a masterful performance, it is slide guitar at its best. Honeyboy is a classic Mississippi Delta blues player, and this performance is among the finest I have ever heard.
Keb Mo does a version of Love in Vain which is similar to the version the Rolling Stones did on Let it Bleed. This is another strong performance.
Another song on this CD that warrants a listen is the version of "Sittin on top of the World". James "Blood" Ulmer along with Allison Krauss on violin, puts in a solid performance.
I listen to this one over and over.
Buddy Guy does an acoustic performance of "I cant be Satisfied" This I have to say is the first time I have heard Buddy play an acoustic.
John Fogerty the former CCR lead man does a version of "Midnight Special" by Huddy Ledbetter. This is almost an exact copy of his version with CCR. His vocals are very strong.
Bonnie Raitt does a version of "Comin Home" the Elmore James song. This is Bonnie Raitt at her best playing her blues slide electric guitar. This is another song you will want to hear.
Buddy Guy does a version of "The First time I met the blues".
This is the Buddy Guy we have all come to love. Buddy is at his best. Buddy Guy in my mind is one of the finest electric blues players ever and this will show you why.
Shemekia Copeland and Robert Cray do a version of "I pity the fool" Robert Cray plays a nice solo on this one.
BB King does a version of "Sweet Sixteen". This is classic BB King at his best. As I said I hit the highlights. You definately need to give this one a listen, you wont be disappointed I promise

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, March 9, 2007
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
This autobiography of the blues shows the past and the present of a music steeped in African American culture and rich musical history. Legends of the past perform live with the greats of the past decade presenting the musical form at its fullest potential. The movie incorporates benhind the scenes footage and rare clips of blues artist such as Son House, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson crafting the art of Blues music. Performances like India Ari singing Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday and Guy's rendition of Cant be Satisfied by Muddy Waters, inspire me to watch them over and over again. Lighting in a Bottle is more than just an event; it is a celebration of the life and breath of the music that has inspired countless other genres and has captured the emotion of represion and pentence. Lighting in a body is a journey worth taking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ for every aspect of this production, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
This is a once-in-a-lifettime concert: great and diverse performances, new arrangements, knockout big band. I bought both the DVD and the soundtrack CD. Artists that you can't see any more: Solomon Burke, Ruth Brown, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, David "Honeyboy" Edwards, Hubert Sumlin. Must see/hear performances: Mavis Staples (See that my Grave is Kept Clean), James Blood Ulmer (Sitting on Top of the World), Macy Gray (Hound Dog), David Johansen & Hubert Sumlin (Killing Floor), Angelique Kidjo & Buddy Guy (Voodoo Child). A+ for every aspect of this production.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sky Is Crying, June 4, 2008
This review is from: Lightning in a Bottle (Audio CD)
I first only heard a part of this recording, on 'Lone Star 92.5 FM, but I knew it was special - I love blues. There isn't enough space to explain what I went through, to locate this particular recording,...because I was informed that this was a LIVE PERFORMANCE!, and it is not known if saleable copy even exists. As I say, eventually, I found it at AMAZON, and it was all that I expected....and I expected it to be EXTRA GOOD!!!
This is not the first time that I found a difficult-to-fine item, at AMAZON!

Lightning in a Bottle
Lightning in a Bottle by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2004)