4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Game, Average Story
The story felt somewhat messy overall, but I can't entirely blame LR as XIII-2 made things complex as hell. Still, feels were had more than 5x. The epilogue! Somewhat conflicted about it, but it wasn't bad.

The soundtrack was 10/10. Need I say more? The XIII series has always had glorious OST.

The battle system is engaging, and fun and paradigm...
Published 6 months ago by Sarroush

3.0 out of 5 stars Want to love it...just can't
I'm a die-hard Final Fantasy fanatic. I've finished every FF game, and most of them at least 3 or 4 times. I've dropped countless hours into FFXI and FFXIV. I enjoyed FFXIII and FFXII-2, so I pre-ordered this and popped it in day 1...

Problem is, I just can't bring myself to play it much.

Pros:
- Battles are a LOT of fun. Fighting system is...
Published 5 months ago by P. Abbate

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Game, Average Story, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)

The battle system is engaging, and fun and paradigm shifts are so instantaneous that they make me want to spam the L1&R1 buttons just to see if I can break the game. Also...Artemis Pierce is so awesome. Best move ever. The worthless bit to it is that you can walk during fights, but Light walks so slowly that you don't actually use it. Exterminating monsters was fun too. Running after cactuars in the desert? Not so much. Crazies run 2fast4Light.

Every outfit/weapon/shield has different stats and moves that add to your strategies. Of course, the likelihood is that you'll only go through about 10-15 of them. Will find super awesome outfit and stick to that for the most part. It irritated me how you couldn't choose the color for every component of your outfit. Some of them only had 1 part of the outfit you could change colors for, which got me sad, specially since I wanted to clad Light all black and not green, yellow, red. I didn't find a way to change weapon & shield colors. Either I missed something, didn't look well enough or its just not possible. Either way, the variety of weapons/shields were cool, though I pretty much only stuck to a select few.

There are around give or take 165 sidequests, this including character sidequests and the prayer canvas that is basically "Get x amount of x item by killing x monster". The story was relatively short unfortunately.

The four continents were relatively big and you always had new things to discover, which was good.

The Epilogue & final cutscenes were absolutely gorgeous. Simply stunning.

I also have to add that you will have enough time to travel around every single part of the continents with timestop. The 13 days don't hold you back if you know what you're doing. You can finish the story in 2 in-game days and have 11 extra days for sidequests. So hating on the game for that isn't a valid reason.

Overall, it was a very fun game, but the story falls a bit short unfortunately. Going to miss Lightning.

3.0 out of 5 stars Want to love it...just can't, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)

Problem is, I just can't bring myself to play it much.

Pros:
- Battles are a LOT of fun. Fighting system is well done and feels polished. It's a fairly radical departure from typical FF-style games, but it works really well. Easily the best part of the game.
- The gear/ability combos are a great way to add customization to the battles. I really enjoy this aspect, and gaining new items is actually enjoyable. Instead of just 'better stats', new items bring new abilities and play styles.
- Equipment designs and models are top notch! Really adds a cool aspect to the game.

Cons:
- The clock timer makes you feel rushed, and somewhat limits your ability to explore. SE is trying to break out of the linear gameplay model, and they did it successfully here. Problem is, you feel really rushed at times, either because the clock is ticking or side-quests have a time limit.
- No leveling system, stats are gained from quests and side-quests. Some may enjoy this, I personally don't. Not a huge con, and is does reduce the need for level grinding (which is a positive), but it makes the battles seem a little less important.
- The story is...AWFUL. Plain and simple. It's convoluted and boring.
- The fashion accessory system is silly and pointless. I don't want to dress Lightning up in a tiara. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I can't get hooked on this game. I'm trying, and I think I'll eventually finish it, but it seems like a chore to play it. Kind of disappointing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the game timer is not a problem and other details for people to read, February 17, 2014
RKOFANT (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)
I want to start by saying this is not a classic Final Fantasy game. FF13(garbage) wasn't, FF13-2 wasn't, and this isn't. I yearn for a traditional FF game just as much as anyone else, but we are not getting one in the foreseeable future. Bummer. I know.

OK. That being said, this is a drastic improvement to the FF13 mechanics. I will outline the game mechanics and clarify how they work. It seems like people are dismissing the game because they feel overwhelmed. Reviewers are also complaining because the game is "too difficult" and the graphics don't blow them away. Personally I think the challenge level is just right and the graphics are irrelevant (but they look fine).

- The Game Timer - Yes there is a time limit to complete the quest. It is not as imposing as other reviewers would have you believe. At first I was pretty stressed by it, but now I own that timer and it answers only to me. Here's how it works: You have 5 points to spend at any given time. For 1 point you can freeze time for awhile. You can use this over and over to basically halt the clock permanently. The points required to use this ability are gained by battling enemies. If you don't elude all the monsters you should be in pretty good shape. Some interesting ways the timer is used is allowing certain areas, treasures, quests and enemies to be accessible at certain times. The timer may not be the ideal mechanic for everyone, but it isn't the nightmare people are framing it as.

Another tip is if you think the timer got the best of you, and the playthrough is going to be a bust, just sleep until the timer runs out and start a new game plus with all your stat increases and equipment.

- You can also save time by teleporting. It costs more points so I don't like it, but you can do it.

- The battle system- It is finally good in this game! FF13 was a disaster since it basically took most critical thinking out of the hands of the player. It had a "rinse repeat" structure that they only managed to fix slightly in FF13-2. Now you have full decision making control again. Essentially you customize 3 outfits with a variety of stats and skills and when you want to use the skills associated with the outfit you press the shoulder button to instantly change to that skill set. There is no cost for doing this and it is very rapid and fluid. Each outfit has a designated amount of action points and when you use them up they refill (faster when the outfit is not active). This rewards players who have 3 meaningful loadouts because they won't need to wait long to take action in battle. The game is "difficult" if you do not actually learn how to properly fight your enemies. I know it is a living tragedy, but you may need to save your game regularly and reload when necessary. The horror!

-Customization and character growth: Much of the strategy comes from customizing your costume loadouts. Most outfits have permanent skills and a few slots to equip your own. The skills themselves can be combined, upgraded and leveled. Weapons can also be enhanced later. Basically you want to make sure you have some balance with your abilities and when you enter new areas tweak as needed.

Character stat progression comes from quest completion instead of fighting enemies. This is how the game answers all those people who complain about grinding. Monster fights exist to accumulate, wealth, item drops and points that allow special abilities (like time freeze). I think the approach was an effective one, albeit unconventional. People who hate side quests may not like this but the highest stat boosts actually come from completing main quests.

-Exploration- This game has a fairly open world. After the early story segments you can basically travel anywhere. This can be overwhelming but if you apply time saving tactics it should not be that bad. Just remember to fight enemies and freeze time/teleport. Always talk to people and accept whatever quests are available to avoid backtracking. The game helps with this since NPCs that are quest related have a star by their name.

-Story- it's alright. The other two had pretty convoluted stories so this is no exception. It may be a bit more grounded, but that's not saying a lot. Overall the world of FF13 is lost in its own mythos.

-Conclusion: This game has a lot of merit even though it isn't a traditional FF game. It has a fantastic battle/customization system which is one of the main things that has been lacking in the FF13 series. People who are complaining right now are largely not understanding the flow of the gameplay or have not given it a chance. The developers gave the player the necessary tools to deal with the challenges. Square cured several things that the general gaming population (not me) have been complaining about (random battles, grinding, linearity). Unfortunately it seems that some people can't handle the medicine. I can see why this game is so divisive but it's worth giving an honest effort before you pass final judgment.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far having fun, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)
This is a initial review/first impressions of the game. This is review/first impressions is coming from some one who enjoyed and loved FF13 and FF13-2. I won't talk to much about the story other than what has been told during trailers and game exposes. This is just my own personal opinion, I always say try the game out for yourself and don;t listen to others. So I suggest trying out the demo on PSN or Xbox Live.

Lets just put it out there, if you didn't like the first two Final Fantasy 13 games, you probably won't like Lightning Returns(Storywise and one game mechanic). Story so far is similar to the story telling in the previous two entries. I was really skeptic of the Game Clock Count Down, but it does create a sense of urgency to the story. At first I was like "I gotta hurry, I gotta hurry", but I still had the freedom to roam around even if there was that sense of urgency of the clock. Now the only problem I have with the game clock is that if I take to much time messing around, I missed time sensitive access points. It is like real life, if you don't make it in time to a certain area, tough luck its closed. With that game clock mechanic, I can see why it makes people angry, but I like it.

The combat in Lightning Returns is fun and unforgiving depending on what mode your playing easy or Normal (Hard mode is not available until you defeat Normal mode, then you can New Game+ into hard mode). If you play on easy mode, your health restores to full HP after each battle and if you flee from battle there is no time penalty( the catch in easy mode is that less rare items drop) . On Normal mode, your health does NOT restore after every battle/encounter with a monster, and if you flee the battle there is a one hour penalty added to the Ultimate Count Down Clock to the end of days. The Demo of Lightning Returns show cases the game play combat.

I'll be honest, at first I was worried about all the costumes/garbs and DLC costumes/garbs, since most of the DLC pre-order bonus costumes are from games that I loved and how Lightning's personality doesn't really fit the costumes. Though after playing with Cloud outfit, Yuna outfit, and art of war garb in combat, they tailored the animations/moves/skills and stat bonuses to fit the Lightning and have a nostalgic feel. When I switch to Cloud Schemata, I did massive physical damage, and when I changed to Yuna Schemata, all the monsters that are weak against magic were vaporized.

Story wise, I can't say much, since I am only 3-4 hours into the game, but I was slightly lost on how all the FF13 characters are still alive. Especially since Lightning Returns is set 500 years after the conclusion of FF13-2. But they do explain it in the the first hour or two. I really don't want to talk about the story much just because I don;t wanted to anger the Spoiler Police people.

All in all, I am enjoying Lightning Returns so far, once I complete Lightning returns my opinion can change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not without flaws, but fun none the less, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)
Lightning Returns is a solid game to end the FFXIII trilogy on. I am having a great time with it still on New Game+ (it's very challenging), but I was a little disappointed with the story elements and felt over all did not do the characters justice.

Lightning Returns has some difficult systems to manage that can frustrate players early on in the game experience, but become more rewarding the more you play the game. Chief among these is the World Driven Time mechanic. I spent a good portion of the game feeling rushed and not having much fun until I read up on how to manage the Chronostasis system. Once I mastered this I was able to really get into what the game had to offer.

Battle itself is can be very challenging and battle is where the game really shines. The Schemata customization lets you really make what ever type of fighter, mage, tank you like out of Lightning and the battles are fast paced and enjoyable. Though you don't level up from battle, gaining items and EP from fighting is essential to completing your objectives in the game.

The world areas, battle animations, and the music are very well done, just like in the previous games, though I found a lack of quality in the NPC models and it's obvious when compared with the main cast characters.

I would say that if you are looking for a typical JRPG experience steer clear of LR:FFXII. This is more a westernized action RPG experience then a typical RPG game. Also as I mentioned before the story takes a back seat to the games battle mechanics and ended up not drawing me in like previous FF titles.

Music: 10/10

Graphics: 8/10

Battle System: 9/10

Story: 6/10

Overall Fun: 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightning Return Great Game, March 23, 2014
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)
Not many people like games theses' but I give 100% honest true about this game; the battle system is super fun and storyline is good but with the time limit clock is holding users back from all the real fun like side quest. You much use your time wisely but you should be able to beat the game without guild book if you understand system.

Game graphics are nicely done but wish the battle would take place on the field and we'll get that on FF15 coming soon. Overall Game is fun and will keep you busy while pushing you to the limit. Being able to change light style is awesome and making her do funny things will make you lol a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightning Returns and the countdown timer, February 18, 2014
M. Diaz (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)
I enjoyed the last couple ffxiii games even with the crazy difficulty spikes at times mainly because I was interested in the story and I could relax and play the game like I do most RPGs, which is at my own pace with as much (or as little) exploring of an area as I wanted to. Those are the things I'm still interested in and I would really like to finish the series but the countdown timer is making that very hard for me to want to do.

I have not played very far into this game yet, but I'm trying to stick with it. So far it seems if I want to thoroughly explore I'm going to run out of EP for time freezing and there are not a lot of monsters around to give it back in any significant amount. That may be different in other areas but in the starting area it has been a bit tough so far so I find myself exploring then going back to a previous save and doing things more efficiently to try to save on the clock.

I know this game is set up for multiple plays, but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that would like to just have one nice run through of a game and remember it for what it was rather than having to play through multiple times and repeat content. There is also enough stress and time management in real life to where having it in a game (which I'm supposed to be playing to relax and enjoy) is a big turnoff to me.

That all being said, I'd like to play through the last chapter of the series so I'll continue to try until I either can't take it anymore or get past it. I just keep finding myself wishing that the advancement of time towards the end of days was based on quests done and plot points rather than a countdown timer looming over my every action.

UPDATE 3/17/14: After finally getting around to spending a couple quality sessions with the game I've got to say it has turned me around quite a bit. I'm still not a fan of the clock and that may be the one thing that keeps me from giving it 5 stars in the end, but the game overall has drawn me in and it's not such a big deal anymore. At the end of the second in-game day I've completed 3 main quests, lots of side quests and some other random things mainly due to finding some good areas to keep the clock stopped. At this point I feel like I'll have plenty of time to do everything that interests me without having to be forced to play through a second time.

5.0 out of 5 stars End to the decisive trilogy and its stellar, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)
I can't think any other game that has had such a huge divide in opinion when it comes to the Final Fantasy XIII and its subsequent sequels. Mario Sunshine and Resident Evil 5 don't seem to even come close. One gamer saying its a underrated gem and another saying its the equivalent to dog droppings. Just to share those who are reading this an insight into my thoughts on the games and if this review is worth your time. I loved XIII. i consider it a throwback to VII and X which both had very linear, story-driven beginnings that later opened up into a big map in the game, focused on a small group of characters, and was centered on fighting against destiny and authority figures. I loved the inventive ATB battle system and got attached to most of the characters and their epic journey, 10/10 to me and one of my favorite RPGs of last gen. XIII-2 felt like a knee-jerk reaction from the decisive reaction it got from fans and critics and made the game open-ended at the beginning with being able to select different worlds in a Super Mario World-ish map and introduced a monster collecting mechanic but amiss the interesting new mechanics and additions, I felt the story got way too convoluted when XIII had a much more focused story, 7.5/10 to me. Here's my breakdown of Lightning Returns and my 45 hour session with it.

Story 7/10

I personally think XIII was perfectly fine as a standalone title and XIII-2 was an awkward attempt to prolong the story so I was very worried how Lightning Returns was going to make any sort of competent story with now majorly convoluted story. The good news it LR mostly wipes the slate clean and gives you a simple set up, if you don't try to over think it: The world has been thrown off balance by the events of the last game and is so bad that God (with a unnecessarily hard to spell name) has decided to start anew and has chosen Lightning as his savior to save the souls of as many people as she can, including her old friend, to bring into the new world he's making and she only has 13 days to complete the task. No knowledge of L'Cie, Time travel. Eidolons or Etro is needed to play the game and the game sticks to its clean slate approach, for the most part. Lightning, as the entire XIII trilogy, is a divisive character for many with some seeing her as a monotone, boring character and the idea of her as the only character you control and will be going through the game would be torture to them. Personally, I think Ali Hallis does a astounding job of inserting humanity and personality into a strong, stoic character that other less talented VAs would end up as what Light's detractors say. She does a great job narrating this often confusing story and makes many lines that ought to be dry as funny, sarcastic quips from Lightning. Ali has shown this wonderful job of adding those small details into a stoic charter like she did with Dr. Liara T'Soni from the Mass Effect triliogy, another character who first comes off as too reserved and stoic but grows on you. The story dips up and down in quality from the different main stories, each of which is centered on a main character from the past games, I'd say spoiler but all these characters have been prominently shown in the trailers so up to you if you want to go in blind or not. Some doing a good job of book ending some charters problems in the past games like Snow and Noel while others felt rushed and not much thought put into it, with Yeul/Caius, doing their best to make the story incomprehensible, and most saddening Sazh, a character that has been the universal beacon for the XIII games that everyone has loved and enjoyed, getting such a lame plotline, I thought it was a joke at first and unfortunately WAS a unfunny one. I'm happy once the main missions where finished and things kicked into the climax, the story improved and really showed some shining moments for Liightning's character and we get some of the best moments of the character that she is much more then the stoic warrioress she lets on to be. The ending becomes a nice nod to Persona, and runs back with the theme that was introduced in XIII, rejecting authority , the most powerful one at that, and emphasizing on the necessity for humanity to fight and live for themselves, needing only friendship, not gods. Its a wee bit anti-religious but that's nothing new to those who have played Final Fantasy games or many other JRPGs series like Persona and that's either a plus or minus to you from your personal tastes. It's overall a bit sketchy, and outright stumbling at times, but overall it could have been much worse and ends up being a competent story, which is too bad for a Final Fantasy game which are known for 10/10 stories but thankfully this game has a lot of leverage to lean on for its serviceable plot.

Graphics 8/10

Animation is varied in most scenes and rarely uses repeated animations outside of NPC conversations. It's inconsistent though, oddly for Square who are known for very polished graphics. Some areas like the Wildlands and Luxerion are beautifully detailed and has wonderful art direction that stands out from typical JRPG fare. The quality dips though during NPC moments where it seems it was rushed and some character designs look lazy and almost PS2 era of detail. Very stark when looking at the wonderfully, detailed and animated Lightning. Animation in battles are sublime though and everything looks wonderful from the hit detection, spell effects and attacking motions and the CGI cutscenes are what you'd expect from SE, top of the line along with Halo and Mass Effect.

Music/Sound 10/10

Along with Sazh, the next most respected aspect of the XIII trilogy has been its amazing music and LR doesn't deviate from the amazing streak Masashi Hamauzu has been on, along with Mitsuto Suzuki and Noashi Mizuta adding in modern, electronic flavor to the soundtrack. Hamauzu brings his stelar bag of tricks, with lush, sweeping orchestral pieces that oozes with emotion and flair with Humanity's Tale, Song of the Savior ~Grand Finale~, and Luxerion showcasing his utter mastery of orchestral compositionm with some of the best symphonic pieces I've heard since Joe Hisaishi's goosbump inducing work on Ni No Kuni. What really stands out though is how much Suzuki and Mitzuta have grown as composers and take on so much of the grunt work on the soundtrack and are comparable to Hamauzu's work, something I didn't think when they where brought in on XIII-2. The Wildlands, The Savior, Yusnaan Palace and Dead Dunes really cements Mitzuta as the thinking man's composer, deftly combining symphonic and electronic elements together and really makes this soundtrack his own next to the other two. As much as I've loved the battle systems and art design, the music throughout the XIII trilogy has ended up being my favorite part of the games and will go down as some of the best work music last gen next to Ni No Kuni, Halo series and Journey imo.

Gameplay 10/10

And now the meat of the game and I'm glad to report this is the best its been in the series. I thin the developers must have been playing some Dark Souls after XIII-2 because the difficulty has spiked up considerably and there is almost hand holding this time, The game flings you out and expects you to manage your health, money, and time off the bat and most the quests will expect you to do some research and speaking to NPCs to complete it. This is a wonderful response to the linear nature of the series and I appreciate Square put out such a hardcore game for a mainstream series like this, trusting Western gamers to handle, though it definitely has caused some whining, especially in the time management. I've seen 1 and 2 star reviews based solely on how hard the time management is and quite honestly, that's complete garbage. I've been a life long gamer so I might not be speaking for everyone but I kick my butt handed to me from Dark Souls and Super Meat Boy so definitely no the best and I was able to complete all the main missions and complete 50 side quests and STILL HAD 6 DAYS LEFT!! It simply takes the most basic of time management, fighting monsters for EP (basically tech points), using chronostasis (stopping time) and completing main mission s and you'll be perfectly fine with time to spare. With that cleared up, you'll also be happy to know this is one of the most fluent, elegant, fun experimentation of the ATB battle system I've ever played. Mixing X-2, Chrono Cross, Kingdom Hearts and even Paper Mario, you'll have a set-up of 3 schemata (jobs) to switch in battle where you'll have a ATB bar to use up with each attack or magic spell will take a amount of points of your bar until its near zero and you switch to another to use while the other will slowly regain ATB points while its on standby. It practically becomes an action game with how much hinges on your timing to use spells, block attacks and switch to new jobs on the fly. Its a wonderful take on ATB system that focuses a lot of action game reflexes but still have the strategy and management from a classic RPG.

Overall: While the story leaves much to be desired, there's a challenging RPG here to sink your teeth into with a masterfully crafted battle system with beautifully polished open worlds to explore. It'll push you and demand good strategy in your fighting and customizing your classes while being lenient enough for you to explore the 4 big worlds even with a time clock to keep some pressure on you. 8.5/10

1.0 out of 5 stars This game is horrible!, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)
I bought this game on PSN and I couldn't finish it. This is the first FF game EVER that I couldn't finish because it is so horrible. I will list the pros and cons from my experience.

Pros:
+battle system is different, but it is fun. Being able to change lightning's outfit is pretty cool as well. It's like an upgraded version of that horrible dress sphere system from FFX-2.
+ Graphics are pretty good.
+Voice acting is good.
+Music is pretty solid.

Cons:
- Lightning is the main and ONLY usable character. Other characters make brief appearances.
- No exp from fights. What kind of Rpg doesn't award exp for fights? oh wait, this is just a wanna be.
- lots and lots of side quests. You'll spend 90% of this game doing stupid side quests because that is the only way to earn XP.
- Story is still as confusing as the first 2 games.
- Time system is not as bad other people make it seem, but the only thing I hate about it is that a lot of things happen only at night which kind of stupid because the whole point of the game is to use your time wisely.

Conclusion:

I would only recommend this game to lightning fans. I really tried to like this game, but sadly this is the saddest FF game I have ever played. It is also the worst of the lightning series. Enix fixed some of the things that were broken and tried to better what was working. In the end, they failed miserably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great combat!, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Video Game)
I'm gonna be honest here I was not crazy bout the first game (XIII) I don't have and don't plan on getting it again. I loved the story in it but the game just felt too easy (other than fighting certain creatures on Pulse) and a few bosses were challenging towards the end. Maybe I will get it sometime to have all three but it's not one of my favorites cause of it's linearity. I understand it being linear but I also like having distractions in a JRPG even if it's just exploring different areas and grinding a bit.

So with that out of the way XIII-2 was more open and had mini game distractions and secret endings and side quests I own that and have beaten it many times even after I had a 100% walkthrough and a bug wiped my hard drive. I liked it a LOT better

Now I just want to say that while I find the story lacking in LR XIII I like how they are closing up loose ends (haven't beat it yet but far in) I like the side quests as trivial as they are they do show bits and pieces of how people have lived without aging for over 500 years. Also It's like an open world which I really like.
I will admit though I was skeptical bout the time system but considering I have beaten a multitude of quests and the 5 main ones with 6 days to spare you have more time than you think if you take advantage of the chronostasis ability.
As far as what I don't like there more of just nitpicks. I would like some of the side quests to have more of a direction on where to go and the graphics can look dated when compared to XIII-2 but I really like the customization and open structure of the game. I don't think the XIII series is the best FF in the franchise but I don't think any of the games deserve the hate they get either. (this coming from one who has played most every entry available in the states.)

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
$49.99 $29.93