Published on November 16, 2010 by Nikiforos V. Skoumas

2.0 out of 5 stars Where do I start? Do you want Authentic or not?
Published 23 months ago by Cindy York

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "Nelson" recapture the essence of their debut while sounding more powerful, electric and mature than ever., November 16, 2010
Nikiforos V. Skoumas (Athens Greece, Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
Melodic rock/glam metal band `Nelson' was one of the last acts of the genre to reach mainstream success with the release of their debut "After the Rain" in 1990. It seems that `Frontiers records' have made it their business to recruit each and every quality melodic rock/ hard rock act of the 80s and 90s while effectively directing them to recapture their original sound. For "Nelson- Lightning strikes twice" this is definitely the case, as the twins Gunnar and Matthew Nelson have written, recorded and produced an album comparable to the artistic quality and musical direction of their platinum debut.

Sound-wise the album includes all musical elements `Nelson' have been renowned for: Acoustic guitars, topped by incredible electric guitar leads, lengthy choruses and challenging vocal lines plus discrete yet inventive rhythm section. One has to comment that `Lightning strikes twice' is amongst the most rocking albums the `Nelson' team has produced while it also demonstrates incredible depth in terms of arrangements; particularly regarding the bonding of acoustic with electric instruments and the appropriate placement of instrumental melodies that give each song its distinct flavor.

Having previously experienced the abilities of the `Nelson' brothers, I did expect powerful melodic rockers like "You're all I need tonight" and "How can I miss you", still I never thought of the guys pushing their artistic boundaries and writing "How can I miss you" which is an undeniable AOR masterpiece. One could not possibly describe what the song is like, yet I can admit that it made me consider how much the Nelsons have matured in terms of composing and arranging music, baring in mind they were already amazing to being with.

"Lightning strikes twice" is one of those melodic rock/AOR albums that one expects to be great while turning out to be superb. I would not be surprised if in ten or fifteen years time "Lightning strikes twice" is considered a classic album of the genre. A must for AOR, melodic rock enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS CD!!!!!!!!, January 6, 2011
Susan M. Franklin "imlugan" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
I am a HUGE Nelson fan - and have seen them live several times. They are probably my favorite band. I was so looking forward to the release of this CD, and it did not disappoint. As a matter of fact, as I sit here writing this review, I am listening to the CD. READY WILLING AND ABLE ...

My favorite songs are: CALL, HOW CAN I MISS YOU, TO GET BACK TO YOU, KEEP KICKIN' MY HEART AROUND. And the bonus track is a remix of MORE THAN EVER. So diggin' it.

If you don't have this CD, you NEED this CD. The guitars are wonderfully orchastrated, the voices are clear and soaring, the lyrics are ingenious. You can hear the influence of Queen, Bon Jovi and Boston - and that aint so bad.

Do not wait. If you're reading this review, click and add this wonderful work of art to your cart. And then write your own 5-star review.... ;D

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have you back gentlemen!, December 8, 2010
So I downloaded the new "Lightning Strikes Twice" today and was pleasantly rewarded with a solid 58+ minutes of great melodic rock. Good writing, great hooks and the harmonies that make you remember why you liked them in the first place 20 years ago. This is not a nostalgia act or record by any means. It will hold up to todays standards if you like artists who can really play and sing. The guys have a website that really says it all....Nelson Kicks A**.com I wholeheartedly agree!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD I've ever purchased, December 18, 2010
S. Therrien (woonsocket, RI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
I love music, but have often been disappointed when purchasing a CD by finding that the song I purchased it for was one of the few good songs on the CD. Not so with this CD. Every song on it is fantastic. There is a great mixture of songs, and Gunnar Nelson's voice is outstanding. The vocal harmony and the blend of the instruments are perfect. Couldn't be happier. It rocks. A++++++

5.0 out of 5 stars As always, a MUST HAVE, March 5, 2011
December Girl "*DecemberGirl*" (Dayton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
If you're an 80s/90s lover, or grew up then like I did, I'll bet you can still remember the first time you heard that perky opening guitar riff to Love and Affection. I know I can!

The definitive Nelson sound is BACK and better! It's really great to hear how Matthew & Gunnar have progressed as writers, musicians and artists. There's a good variety of material on this CD - kind of a "something for everyone" - and it shows what a great place they are at in their lives. It really comes across as a celebration of all things late 80s/early 90s. This CD is meant to be a seamless continuation of After the Rain, and it accomplishes this with very high marks.

I've been a fan since their debut, and there are indeed some new fans out there. To them, and to those who don't know, I would highly advise buying this CD. The songs are catchy, yet venture into some new territory. It's enough on the edge to keep it current, but enough "back in the day" to make you smile.

I've met the guys a few times, and I will say, as a musician, I love their material, and especially their attention to detail. That's what's always made all the difference to me personally. If someone does not care enough to build their project solidly, why should the average person take time to listen? These guys have it down. I don't think you will find one act as solid as Nelson. They are wonderfully produced, sure but still, overly-talented individuals. These guys are a definite "10" in my book. If they had no studio effects or any enhancements of any sort, I'd still pay money to hear them play. Their musical abilities would parallel if not beat any highly paid session player anywhere. Their vocals are unmatched by anyone, except the other one of them. (LOL) Not to mention the fact they are absolutely the nicest guys in the world. Very down to earth people, respectful of their heritage, and a great tribute to it.

The same energy you hear on their CDs is that and more at any live show. These guys are NOT one of those bands that you love the CD and then you get to the show and the band cannot pull it off because they're so auto-tuned and overproduced, they cannot duplicate all the studio effects, or harmonies. Nelson was never that way. They just get better and better. They are a true musical inspiration.

Do yourself a favor - take a trip back to "the day" with the rest of us. If you missed it the first time around, it's never too late. Bob Seger said it best "You can come back, baby, 'cause Rock and Roll never forgets!"

2.0 out of 5 stars Where do I start? Do you want Authentic or not?, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
Let me start off by saying I LOVE THE ALBUM!!!! My rating for the album is 5 stars all the way!!!!! Finish reading for justification of the low rating. True to promotional press, if you're a fan of the classic Nelson sound then this is a definite buy!!! The shipping was timely and the product was well packaged-as has been typical of all my Amazon.com purchases. Before I purchased this product, I SPECIFICALLY looked for an item shipped DIRECTLLY THROUGH AMAZON, and not an outside vender. When it arrived, I eagerly opened the package and promptly put it into my player. At the time, I thought it a bit odd that it came without ANY liner notes (Yes, Im one who STILL enjoys reading those lol) and packaged between the Nelson cover, was a complete cover for "Lost in Meditation: Meditative Gregorian Chants" I thought about it for a minute then dismissed it as a packaging mistake. Hey we're all human, mistakes happen. However, a word of caution...BUYER STILL BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I attended a "Ricky Nelson Remembered" show Friday September 21. As they only sell the "Ricky Nelson Remembered" CDs at these shows, I was happy to have purchased a "Lightning Strikes Twice" album prior to the event. Knowing that Gunnar and Matthew always do meet and greets after the shows, I was also excited to have the CD autographed by the artists themselves! Imagine my HORROR and moderate MORTIFICATION when THEY quickly identify the CD I purchased through Amazon.com as a "bootleg." (Their words not mine) Though they did seem to admire the attempt. It was identified by LACK OF LINER NOTES AND LACK OF COVER ART. To paraphrase, I believe there was a statement made to the effectof they had put a lot of work into creating the cover art, and it wasn't there. They wanted to know if I had bought it through Amazon, and I was able to confirm the purchase. The ground couldn't open up and swallow me FAST ENOUGH last night!!!!!!!!!! Most EMBARASSING and slightly HUMILIATING concert experience EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine, as an artist being presented with material that is easily identified as NOT AUTHENTIC. Imagine the position, as an Amazon customer and Nelson fan *I* was put in! *Though both Gunnar and Matthew were both VERY GRACIOUS about the situation- a HUGE THANK YOU for that! This is in no way intended to be a disrespectful critique of Amazon.com itself, or of the album. Like I said BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY the album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL However, when I make it a point to purchase products DIRECTLY THROUGH AMAZON I do so EXPECTING AUTHENTIC MERCHANDISE, and do so to reduce the chances of things like this happening. I have never had a problem like this before, and DESPERATELY HOPE Amazon authenticates it's suppliers prior to selling products to the public. My words of advice, if you want to purchase THIS CD ( Like Ive said HIGHLY ADVISED!!!!) do so through the Nelsons' website! That way you will receive an AUTHENTIC product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelson - Lightning Strikes Twice, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
This is the best release Nelson have made since their first two recordings in 1990 & 1994. Stand out tracks are 'How Can I Miss You?' and 'To Get Back To You'. Such a shame that this will be overlooked by many people. It would have a been a multi-pltinum seeler back in 1990.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, June 28, 2011
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
Finally- Nelson is back! I recommend this for all rock n rollers who like to rock and sing. It's upbeat, fresh, rock that all can enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelson Rocks!, May 20, 2011
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
I love this cd! It is so much a Nelson cd. If you like "After the Rain" you will enjoy this follow-up (twenty years later!) Great job Gunnar and Matt!

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this cd, February 15, 2011
M. Haas (Michigan,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
I just bought this cd altho i did my first listen of the sound bites on another site.this one has wrong songs listed these are for another album and are wonderful song if you dont already have it.Lightning strikes Twice is an awesome cd every song on it is a good one so you wont be holding the remote LET IT PLAY.Thank you Matthew and Gunnar Nelson for the new music no pun intended but I can hardly wait.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lightning Strikes Twice
Lightning Strikes Twice by Nelson (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies