Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$9.99

on November 30, 2012
I am not new to Lightroom since I had been using Lightroom 3 for about a year. When I decided to upgrade to Lightroom 4 I thought I might also get a book since I was not sure that I was getting as much out of Lightroom as I might have been able to given that there was some functionality I did not know much about. When I looked through the Kindle Lightroom 4 listings I found this book. It attracted me initially because it was far less expensive than many of the others and it was free to "borrow" for Prime members. Since I was a Prime member I downloaded it feeling that the worst that could happen would be the loss of some of my time.

This book, as it turns out, is a gem. It is well written, covers all of the Lightroom 4 functionality, treats readers as though they were new to Lightroom and has extremely well written descriptions of what to do and enough photos of Lightroom panels so that it is easy to understand what is being done. Although I had been using Lightroom 3 for some time I learned an enormous amount from this book. The types of things I learned were not so much new functionality (although there was some of that as well) as easier ways to do what I had been doing and full descriptions of what was really going on. After going through some of the chapters I could not believe how much time I had wasted in Lightroom before.

Some examples - I did not know that there was an easy way to reset the Lightroom Develop adjustment sliders. I did not know there was an easy way to reset complete sets of sliders. I did not know that there was a way to automatically close one adjustment set when another was opened so that it was not necessary to scroll up and down to open sets. I did not know there was such an easy way to remove all clipping from images. It had never been really clear to me exactly how to best use the Noise Reduction sliders and exactly what the detail and contast noise sliders did. I did not know exactly what the Masking slider in the Sharpening section did. The list goes on. Perhaps I should have know these things and perhaps most Lightroom users do know them, but I did not until I read through this book. This book is well written and contains so much information that I expect to buy it to use as a reference.

While the Mr Kelly's writing is clear and easy to follow there are some issues with the Kindle edition. First, there is no table of contents but, more importantly, the formatting of the pages is done very poorly. Some pages display properly but often the lines on half the page will display properly but on another part of the page the lines will be broken up into segments, sometimes words will split in the middle for no good reason and sometimes scrolling through the pages produces multiple blank pages. Sometimes, because of the formatting, it is best to read the book in Portrait mode and sometimes in Landscape mode and I often found myself having to switch back and forth as I moved from page to page. Hence the loss of a star in my rating.

But the book itself, as compared to the formatting, is first class and I found it to be very helpful.
on June 7, 2013
I'm conflicted about this book, because it is very well done and VERY complete. But the formatting is oddly not very good for the Kindle.

This is quite a different approach from Kelby's exuberant and personal guides. Duncan isn't that kind of writer, and there's no flash or pizazz at all. BUT it's complete with guides to menus and submenus, and all the ways to access them. I think it's a useful book maybe to use along with Kelby's. But there isn't any sizzle here---just information, along with a good number of good illustrations and screen shots.

I've got several books on the Kindle, so I'm familiar with formatting, and these days it really isn't that hard. So, I'm puzzled at the awful formatting job for this otherwise good book. Lines unaccountably break in the middle for no apparent reason, though you can sometimes remedy this by holding the Kindle on the side. I've tried changing font and type size, and the maddening problems still exists. Doesn't make it impossible to read, but makes it harder when lines abruptly end--for no reason--after 3 or 4 words. Puzzling to me why this should have not been corrected.

And, also very oddly, you won't find the Table of Contents as a link in the normal place, which, if true, would render the book useless. However, there IS a Table of Contents, it just didn't make the 'contents' icon (which, again, is an awful oversight).

HINT: You'll find the Table of Contents a few pages into the 'Beginning' of the book, so at least there is one, it's just not where you'd expect to find it.

Despite all that, this IS a well-thought-out and well-presented book. Lightroom 4 is complicated and not necessarily intuitive for folks coming from Photoshop or Elements. If you can put up with a bit of formatting hassle, it's a good book.
on January 5, 2014
This book, to me, DOES make learning Lightroom 4 easier than many alternative books I've read. Obviously, some material had to be cut, omitting material in the more comprehensive books, but I don't think that for now it will handicap my learning more about this program.

My big complaint is in the execution of the conversion from a printed edition to the e-version. The formatting is, to be honest, horrible and distracting. Sentences end in the middle of a line, with plenty of space to have included another word or two, then pick up below. Figures get placed far away from where they're discussed. Bulleted comments that should start at the left of the page, with a new line, appear haphazardly. Overall, the formatting leaves LOTS to be desired, and distracts (me, at least) from a nice "flow" of information. This is one instance in which I wish I'd sprung for the usual printed version.
on May 2, 2013
This book is written in a logical, step-by-step progression and is easy to follow. The illustrations are perfect and every detail is covered. This is the perfect book to teach the basics and then keep beside the computer for reference when there are questions later. It is obvious that the author spent many hours paying attention to detail and that there is nothing that isn't covered in this book.
on March 1, 2015
This book is helping me understand what a wonderful tool Light Room is. Delivered promptly
on April 25, 2013
The biggest issue that I had with the book was about me and not the book. It took me some time to adjust to the Kindle reader but once I got over that, the book was extremely helpful. I would recommend the book.
on December 5, 2012
Great reference material on Kindle, so I carry it around with me on my iPad. Helps in a pinch when doing work on the computer to be able to quickly refer to this vs a paperback or hard copy.
on January 8, 2013
The book was good because inform about Lightroom 4,but the content was not organize. You won't know(if you don't pay attention)when a sentence start and when is finish. The book was terribly organize and I am use to read book well organize I did not return it because it was very informative and it have something that other books don't have. In general terms I did like the content of the book that's why I rated 3 starts.