5.0 out of 5 stars A Stellar Example of Evolution

3.0 out of 5 stars Ingrid Michaelson gone mainstream
Published 9 months ago by Corkles

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stellar Example of Evolution, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
I have been anxiously looking forward to this album release since Ingrid’s first single, “Girls Chase Boys” came out and I fell in love with the catchy beat. After “Wonderful Unknown” was released I was even more anxious as I thought it was one of her best songs to date. It is still one of my favorites so far, with such a beautiful melody and lyrics that tell a story.

Now that I have had the opportunity to listen to the entire album I can say that it was well worth the wait. This is what true artistic evolution sounds like. When you are listening, you know that it is Ingrid. She can sing just about anything and you will recognize her signature sound. This album is the accumulation of all of her previous works, melded together to make Lights Out. The “Oh oh ohs” in “Home” are reminiscent of her sound on her Everybody album, “Girls Chase Boys” could have followed “Blood Brothers” on Human Again, and then she introduces a brand new sound that can be heard in songs like “Warpath” and “Time Machine” where she gives us a dose of ferocity that I was pleasantly surprised to hear.

I can keep Lights Out on repeat and not have the desire to skip any of the songs. Even the duets are lovely; Ingrid chose to feature artists that truly complement her sound. I think fans of Ingrid will hear just how much she has evolved and appreciate the artistry on this album. I believe that it will attract some new fans as well.

While I definitely recommend purchasing the whole album, some stand outs for me are: Wonderful Unknown, Home, Girls Chase Boys, Warpath

3.0 out of 5 stars Ingrid Michaelson gone mainstream, April 19, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
I may have had unrealistic expectations for this album, but it was a letdown for me. Another reviewer asked for the unplugged version of this album, and I couldn't agree more. As I was listening the first time I found myself asking, Where's the ukelele? Where's the piano? Where's the guitar?. The second half of the cd is much better than the beginning, but this album felt far too mainstream for me. As a whole, this is not a bad cd, it's just not what I am looking for from Ingrid Michaelson. For her next album, I hope to hear a lot more of her voice and her lyrics and less of overpowering backtracks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Major Ingrid Fan...kind of disappointed :(, April 20, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
Having started listening to Ingrid during her Myspace days with under 100k likes, I have followed her for years and loved almost every song on all of her albums. I was super excited when I heard she had a new album coming out, but am disappointed. Her voice is great, as usual...but it's missing..SOMEthing. Originality maybe? I fell in love with her unique and quirky lyrics in all of her other songs, and this album is missing some of that. The lyrics are very flat. There is also a LOT of synthesizer going on....I feel like Ingrid's voice is amazing enough on it's own without having to auto-tune the hell out of it. I understand that she may want to become a little more "pop" to sell more albums and make money, since we've all gotta eat, but I WISH she hadn't gone so far into the boring, everyday pop genre.

A thought: her last song, "everyone's going to love me now"....an acknowledgement to her old school fans that this album is aimed towards the dull masses? hmmm

Still love Ingrid and respect her as a musician and artist, but hope to see more meaningful lyrics and songs from her again in her next album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns out, music you can dance to isn't so bad..., June 25, 2014
Nadia "Marathon Mom" (SEASIDE, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
Several months ago or more, Ingrid Michaelson posted on Facebook, "I want to make music that people can dance to," or something along those lines (if I try to look it up for accuracy, I'll get distracted and this review will never be written). I'm sure that comment worried a lot of their fans-- a decade ago, Jewel tried the same thing and was accused of "selling out."

Well, never fear! This album clearly fulfills Ingrid's wish while remaining distinctly "Ingrid Michaelson." Even as I write this, I can't get the infectious "Girls Chase Boys" out of my head. There are also half a dozen team-ups that are exceptional, my personal favorite is "One Night Town" with Matt Kearney (who, like Ingrid, has an unmistakably distinctive voice). In fact, I would venture to claim that the weakest songs on the album are those where Ingrid falls back into her old, mellow pattern. That's where I can understand other fans' wish for an "unplugged" album. However, they're still beautiful songs, and I have to say that this album contends with *Girls & Boys* for the top spot in her repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop Perfection, July 18, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
Strange as it sounds, I bought this CD on a whim because I liked the cover image and thought: "How bad can it be?" Little did I know Ingrid Michaelson not only has the voice of an angel, but a gift for lyric poetry that makes art of even the most apparently mundane of subject matter.

Straight away, the radio friendly tracks "Girls Chase Boys," "Time Machine" and the anthemic "Afterlife" will grab you will their eminent "hummabilty." However, the slower, richer, more lush tracks like "Wonderful Unknown" and "Everyone Is Gonna Love Me Now" sneak up on you! Before you realize or understand why, rather than just album fillers, they are the reason you keep going back to "Lights Out."

And if you have any affection for the best that pop music has to offer, you will keep going back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
She is an amazing artist! Every song is great. My daughter was her in concert and said she sounded great.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite albums in 2014!, September 23, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
Ingrid Michaelson is a fantastic singer/songwriter, and I honestly believe this is her best album yet. It has a much new, more modern sound to it, and I love when an artist can stretch themselves and still provide great content with a wonderful new sound to it. The songs on this album are filled with emotion (as her songs usually are) and have a some great beats to them for keeping you energized and going through the day while still becoming involved in the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album., July 25, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
Amazing album. Wonderful Unknown, Girls Chase Boys, Warpath, and Open Hands are the highlights. But the rest of the songs are great as well. Yes she's a bit commercial here but there's nothing wrong with that. It's still a great album.

Plus, it's not like her past music was THAT uncommercial, they still had pop flavor and could easily be played on pop radio. Like "Everybody", Be OK, The way I am, and Maybe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, April 18, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
I have all of Ingrid Michaelson's albums, and, even though this one may be different, it is still an amazing album. I rarely like an album when I first hear it, but I really loved this one from the beginning. Even though it doesn't have the same level of acoustic flare as her previous albums, the excellent song writing, strong collaboration with other artists, and the incredible diversity of the music overall makes it unique and well worth listening to.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Katy Perrification of Ingrid, May 21, 2014
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
Long time fan here. I know all good artists must "grow" and "mature" and whatever, but I am really disappointed in the direction she's moving in here. This is simply a generic, bland, and overproduced attempt to get more radio play. Gone are the quirky and earnest songs of her previous work. If she continues this trend, I'm convinced her next album will be autotuned with guest rappers.

Lights Out
Lights Out by Ingrid Michaelson (Audio CD - 2014)