Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 16, 2012
I didn't realize Leonard Cohen had a son who was a singer-songwriter until I heard "What Other Guy" and "Sweet Dominique" in heavy rotation on CBC Radio 2. These are two great songs, so I was anticipating a U.S. release of this Canadian artist.

The album is a stripped-down acoustic record with a little percussion. It's mostly nylon and steel string acoustic guitars with some organ and keyboards, along with female harmony vocals on some tracks.

The two aforementioned songs are the melodic stand-outs, as well as the catchy "Girls These Days." The title track "Like a Man" exemplifies the rest of the album, it's vocal very laid back, I'd say almost more talking than actual singing. With it's straight ahead lyrics about the joys of romantic love, it's theme permeates the entire album.

This is a good mellow singer songwriter CD. It's relaxing like a cool summer breeze. Just don't go in expecting any rollicking anthems or high energy sing-alongs and you won't be disappointed.
on January 30, 2013
First, let's get this out of the way: this is Adam Cohen, not Leonard Cohen. Adam Cohen is not as good as his father, but then -- few are.

That said, this is a very good album. All songs were recorded in a small number of takes and the rawness comes through beautifully. At his worst, he's disposable but listenable. At his best, he has brief moments where he channels the likes of Tom Waits and, yes, his father. The album spends a lot of time on lyrics which are thematically linked but not cohesive. There are so many clever couplets that, on first listen, it feels gimmick-y -- until you realize that he has a real gift for creating these and they're a joy to behold.

Adam Cohen has a long way to maturing his sound but he's off to more than a good start. I look forward to hearing more from him.
on April 19, 2012
Man, I grew up on his dad when I was a hippie (And my mother hated it when I played his albumns loud-because his son has a much more musical voice I must say). I am going to buy this- it's very nice, thoughtful music. First time I heardthe first Jeff Buckley song I thought- damn Tim Buckley's dead who did this? So he doesn't sound like his dad(that's good) but he's got his talent for words and music.
on September 21, 2012
This album was/is my first experience hearing Adam Cohen. I actually first heard him opening up for Rufus Wainwright in a recent tour from 2012 and his style and singing caught my ear.

He is a nice blend of modern day artist intermixed with certain Leonard Cohen (his dad) ism's. The voice at times sounds like a better singing version of his dad. He also tends to spin yarns, much like his dad did about various different sorts of characters. I enjoy this album but i'd classify it as very mellow and perhaps mood defined for a nice lazy and reflective day. The last thing i'll say is, for such a talented man, he doesn't have a huge body of work which is sort of a shame. Hopefully this album will be a start of him gaining momentum of putting more music into our world.
on April 27, 2013
Ok, so Adam is no Leonard, let's get that right out of the way. I still very much like the cd. Adam sings the songs well, and the songs do remind me of Leonard's work. His vocal delivery is similar to his father's, when Leonard was a young artist, although Adam has a more up-beat sound. I like every song on the cd, and don't for one minute, regret buying it. I would like to see Adam follow in his famous father's footsteps, although I'm uncertain that the market will continue for this type of sound. The love songs on this are a little bit "folk-poppy," but Adam sings with convincing emotion. I'd recommend this to Leonard Cohen fans, and to others that enjoy a compelling folk sound.
on January 10, 2013
Just some good easy listening music. Adam Cohen has got a great voice. Offered at a great price so you can't go wrong. I bought this album as a download so no need for me to buy the special album accessory.
on March 25, 2013
I have a thing for unromantic song topics accompanied by lovely, romantic melodies, and Adam Cohen does this beautifully in "Lie Alone." It's about a sad, drunken one-night stand (but with far more depth than you'd expect)--and it's really sexy.

I love all the songs on this album. That's rare for me. The songs even grew on me more as I listened to them repeatedly over time (then I overdid it, as I always do, and had to take a break until I started to crave them again).

The lyrics are not as simple as they seem at first--most importantly (to me, when it comes to lyrics), they are interesting and unique.
on December 28, 2012
A curiosity purchase, much like Julian Lennon's Valotte so many years ago. Worthwhile, as for brief instances, he sounds like dear ole dad....but he's also a very gifted lyricist (just like dad) with equally provocative internal expression.
Glad I bought it.
on April 25, 2013
Can't get enough of this mans singing and music, totally loved it. It was on the quitter side for my birds to enjoy but for quiet time you can not beat it
on April 3, 2013
My husband loves the music Adam Cohen produces, he's got a smooth and sexy voice. Fun lyrics that make you actually listen to the poem he's singing to you.