5.0 out of 5 stars The Future Social Media Marketing Textbook
This book is likeable. It's a two-thumbs up easy read, chock full of important social media marketing strategies that have a down-to-earth quality full of integrity.

Published on May 22, 2011 by by Lisa Jo Barr

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time!
Published 8 months ago by SherryS

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time!, February 12, 2014
I don't understand how there are so many good reviews. There is absolutely NO new knowledge in here that 85% of the population does not know already. They don't have any useful strategies listed in here. Their "Call to Actions" are sad and generally lacking. They're too vague! They're basically like "Find out what your customer likes, then cater to them"… Well, DUH.

Also, I feel like the whole book was a giant advertisement for their own company and all the companies that have hired them. They keep saying "We know what we are doing and we are so good at it" yet if you check their company's Facebook page there is NO ENGAGEMENT! Throughout the whole book they keep telling you to engage your fans and yet they can't even do it for their own company?

Also - they say you should respond to customers as fast as you can, or else they feel ignored. So I messaged (through Facebook) my disappointment in their book roughly 24 hours ago and still haven't received a response. Seems like they don't follow their own advice!

A bunch of fluff. Honestly wasted 2 hours of my life reading this, and kept waiting for it to get better, but it never did.

Screw the money, SAVE YOUR TIME and pass this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (& Other Social Networks) (Kindle Edition)
I imagine he was paid by Facebook, because he was just so overly enthusiastic about it. The book is short but still needed to fill up space so it says the same thing in different ways over and over. Also really annoyed with how he villified traditional marketing. I'm not saying there's nothing to learn from this book but please, look for other options to learn this stuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overestimates his value, March 1, 2014
This book is ok. Not the best on the subject.
But what really ticks me off is the limits he sets on devices that this book can be viewed on. If I upgrade any device, I have to waste time going to amazon and deregistering the previous hard drive and registering the book all over again. Dave Kerpen, you're not Leonardo da Vinci, you're not Shakespeare, you're not Hemingway. Get over yourself. Btw - if you wonder why I bother, it's because I have to download all kindle books anyway. Nutjobs like this one make me go through another layer of complexity to redownload the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future Social Media Marketing Textbook, May 22, 2011

"Listen carefully, be transparent, be responsive, be authentic, tell great stories--the qualities that would make you the hotshot at the party--they'll make your organization a likable one on social networks." --Dave Kerpen
The author is right on the mark.

What else about this clever book, you might ask?

1. It shines new light on how to use social media right--stay true to yourself which is great advice for a better world.
2. It's target readers are widespread--from those with their feet wet in social media to neophytes.
3. For those new to the scene or those wanting a review--there's fun content in the back of the book-- 25 pages of thorough explanations, simple ways the different social media platforms can enhance and expand communication with potential and established customers.
4.A chapter on tapping and using your listening skills full blast which you'll need if you want to enter the world of social media; it can make or break.
5 Approaching marketing projects at times like a child--with a sense of wonder, curiosity and super-creative out-of-the-box strategies.
6. Dave teaches sophisticated social media tools and approaches in an easy-to-understand and respectful way.
7. The book is written in a very refreshing and positive light.

Highly recommended. I can see LIKEABLE MEDIA become THE social media marketing textbook. Good for students too. This book to all those who want to hone their social media skills through learning the mechanics of online tools and the new-world marketing strategies that will drive your business to new heights.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best social media book out there, June 22, 2011
I've read and reviewed a lot of books on Social Media and this is the first one I've given five stars. It's that good.

I'm a marketer, specializing in the digital realm and I've become increasingly annoyed at the self proclaimed Social Media Experts (SME's) out there. Most are full of hot air and sell snake oil. This is not the case with Dave Kerpen.

This book is clearly written with great examples by someone who has a vast knowledge of this area. Even better, he uses examples of his actual work within the book for us all to learn from (most social media books don't). Each chapter also ends with exercises for you to start considering how to implement the concepts into your business.

There are two aspects that separate this book from the rest. 1. Dave comes at it from the point of the user receiving the marketing and 2.Dave can easily be found on all social media sites giving out free advice, using the methods he describes in the book to grow his readership and business along with it. He walks the walk.

While I don't agree with every element of the book, my quibbles are not worth your time. Just understand that this book is worth purchasing.

I will be suggesting it to everyone I work with that suddenly wants to enter the social media space, but isn't sure why.

Disclaimer: I received a review copy of this book from McGraw Hill.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fluff, January 20, 2014
Kyle S "Kyle" (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) - See all my reviews
I had high expectations, after reading such great Amazon reviews, but was extremely disappointed with the overall quality. No new teaching here, and not even anything eye opening or noteworthy. Save your money.

Bottom line: this book (like so many these days) should have taken the form of a few blog posts, or a short article.

3.0 out of 5 stars star inflation on Amazon?, February 11, 2012
Amazon Customer (Lawrence, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
There are 169 reviews on Amazon for this book and 165 of the reviewers gave this book 4 stars or 5 stars. I give it 3 stars. Only one person gave it a lower rating than I gave it.

I just don't see how it merits more than 3 stars. That's not to say that it's not a good book or that I didn't get something out of it. There were some good examples used. In general, I agree with almost everything the author had to say. But when I got done reading it, I realized that I hadn't bookmarked many passages. I realized that for the most part, things I already thought or already knew might have been reinforced, but I wasn't really asked to think about anything in a new way.

Also, I should add that, due to my profession, I tend to rate books higher when they are applicable to smaller businesses. Many of the examples used in this book were more applicable to larger brands. I'm not sure that people who run small businesses would get much usable strategy from this book.

Also, not that it impacted this review, but when I went to the facebook page for the author's business--a small business--the only real reference to local businesses contained one link...and it was a broken link. To be fair to the author, I pointed it out in a facebook message, to which he replied very quickly. Not sure if it is fixed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast. Entertaining. Informative. Useful., July 8, 2011
I met the author, Dave Kerpen, in 2007 at the first WOMMA Summit (Word of Mouth Marketing Association) that I attended. I knew from the start that Dave would be a key influencer of my education in social engagement and a valuable resource for "how to" information that is based on real life case studies and experiences. At the time, I didn't know that I would become the Board President of WOMMA or that he would become an author and thought leader on the effective use of Facebook (as well as Twitter, You Tube and more). Since that time, Dave and I have come to be good friends, colleagues, and benefactors of each others shared experiences.

In "Likeable Media" Dave gives freely of his experience and drives home the point that consumers are increasingly responsible for the success or failure of brands by what they like and what they say about our brands. Dave has filled his first book with entertaining and interesting case studies and anecdotes that make the 18 lessons easy to understand and apply. It's an ideal book for those that are just getting started, as well as semi-seasoned veterans who are looking for an edge to move them forward in ways that engage and leverage existing and new relationships. Dave is the master of "Likeability" and he shares his insights in a way that is both easy to understand and apply. I found myself noting several opportunities for our business, a northwest regional insurance company, to incorporate Dave's tips in several ways that will increase our fan base, our edge rank, and the number of "likes" that we generate.

I've already passed my copy (which still needs to be autographed by the way) along to a college student that I've helped to mentor over the past year. She'll learn more from this book in a few hours than she could possibly learn in her classes over the next year.

The only criticism that I have for the book is that there were numerous references to the agency that Dave owns and operates... so much so that I started feeling as if I was reading corporate collateral for Likeable Media (the agency). If you are able to look past those repetitive mentions and the reference to his clients, you will come away with a wealth of information that is actionable and very beneficial. Dave gives away in his book what many consultants try to sell at a premium.

Thanks Dave. And congratulations!

NOTE: The opinions offered in this review are my own and do not reflect the views of WOMMA or my employer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Relevant for the Younger Crowd, June 27, 2012
I am a 21-year-old marketing major graduating college in less than six months who helped my college design curriculum for an e-commerce course featuring social media.

When approaching books about social media, I am hesitant to spend my hard-earned money on a book that tells you what you already know about Facebook and Twitter. Likeable Social Media was the first book of five I purchased in the business and social media field.

Mr. Kerpen is a talented writer and complements his discussions about what it means to be a "likeable" brand with positive and negative anecdotes. It's a fairly quick read with frequent content headers, screenshots from Facebook and easily-digestible highlights to share with coworkers (such as the "10 Reasons Why Consumers Like Fan Pages on Facebook).

There are other books and resources out there that give more concrete how-to's and a step-by-step guide to undertaking social media. If you are looking for content focused around these areas, seek out whitepapers and ebooks from social media monitoring companies who will gladly hand you the information for free in return for your contact info.

Hands down, the best asset of this book is its appeal to different audiences. While you could place this book in the hands of a CEO to show them the power of social media, I as a 21-year-old digital native confident in my knowledge of social media was able to walk away with roughly 10 pages of notes and suggestions.

Likeable Social Media left me not only encouraged but empowered to undertake the creation of a social media strategy for a company.

Where this book falls short is a lack of diversity. Discussions surrounding Facebook dominate this book--and rightfully so given its place as the top social network. I would have liked to see more discussions on the power of Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google+ in the same scope Facebook is discussed. I do understand though that this book was published in 2011 and things have drastically changed even since then.

However, I still rate this as a five-star book. What's incredible to me is how connected and committed Mr. Kerpen is to this book and building an engaging community. He practices what he preaches. Recently, I tweeted a friend with a suggestion to read this book. Within five minutes, I had a personal tweet sent to me from Mr. Kerpen thanking me for recommending his book.

Mr. Kerpen clearly gives those working in social media a blueprint on how to be more "likeable" and lives it out in his own social, online life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Business Owner's Dream, June 15, 2011
A. A. Cohen (Newark, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
As a business owner, this book is just what I want. it cleared up all the confusion I was feeling about social media. Like 95% of small business owners, I'm so clueless about using social media for my business (I'm great at posting photos of my kids and me hiking) that I would not have even read any book on social media if I didn't know Dave (full disclosure - we're good friends, but no one is making me write this review, and I'm being 100% honest, which is easy in this case, thank goodness. Silence was always an option). I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the same man who machine guns concise tweets and posts all day long can also write long-form so engagingly and informatively. The book is easy to read, complete with useful action items at the end of every chapter, and loaded with real-world examples. From Verizon Fios to United Airlines, practical stories of real-world online successes and failures fill the book. His explanation and definition of how a company needs to be engaged with it's customers is worth the price alone. It's part 21st-century marketing manifesto and part social media owners manual. If Anthony Wiener had read the appendix on using Twitter, he might not be in trouble today.