5.0 out of 5 stars The Future Social Media Marketing Textbook
This book is likeable. It's a two-thumbs up easy read, chock full of important social media marketing strategies that have a down-to-earth quality full of integrity.

Published on May 22, 2011 by by Lisa Jo Barr

3.0 out of 5 stars star inflation on Amazon?
There are 169 reviews on Amazon for this book and 165 of the reviewers gave this book 4 stars or 5 stars. I give it 3 stars. Only one person gave it a lower rating than I gave it.

Published on February 11, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future Social Media Marketing Textbook, May 22, 2011

"Listen carefully, be transparent, be responsive, be authentic, tell great stories--the qualities that would make you the hotshot at the party--they'll make your organization a likable one on social networks." --Dave Kerpen
The author is right on the mark.

What else about this clever book, you might ask?

1. It shines new light on how to use social media right--stay true to yourself which is great advice for a better world.
2. It's target readers are widespread--from those with their feet wet in social media to neophytes.
3. For those new to the scene or those wanting a review--there's fun content in the back of the book-- 25 pages of thorough explanations, simple ways the different social media platforms can enhance and expand communication with potential and established customers.
4.A chapter on tapping and using your listening skills full blast which you'll need if you want to enter the world of social media; it can make or break.
5 Approaching marketing projects at times like a child--with a sense of wonder, curiosity and super-creative out-of-the-box strategies.
6. Dave teaches sophisticated social media tools and approaches in an easy-to-understand and respectful way.
7. The book is written in a very refreshing and positive light.

Highly recommended. I can see LIKEABLE MEDIA become THE social media marketing textbook. Good for students too. This book to all those who want to hone their social media skills through learning the mechanics of online tools and the new-world marketing strategies that will drive your business to new heights.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best social media book out there, June 22, 2011
This review is from: Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (And Other Social Networks) (Paperback)
I've read and reviewed a lot of books on Social Media and this is the first one I've given five stars. It's that good.

I'm a marketer, specializing in the digital realm and I've become increasingly annoyed at the self proclaimed Social Media Experts (SME's) out there. Most are full of hot air and sell snake oil. This is not the case with Dave Kerpen.

This book is clearly written with great examples by someone who has a vast knowledge of this area. Even better, he uses examples of his actual work within the book for us all to learn from (most social media books don't). Each chapter also ends with exercises for you to start considering how to implement the concepts into your business.

There are two aspects that separate this book from the rest. 1. Dave comes at it from the point of the user receiving the marketing and 2.Dave can easily be found on all social media sites giving out free advice, using the methods he describes in the book to grow his readership and business along with it. He walks the walk.

While I don't agree with every element of the book, my quibbles are not worth your time. Just understand that this book is worth purchasing.

I will be suggesting it to everyone I work with that suddenly wants to enter the social media space, but isn't sure why.

Disclaimer: I received a review copy of this book from McGraw Hill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Relevant for the Younger Crowd, June 27, 2012
I am a 21-year-old marketing major graduating college in less than six months who helped my college design curriculum for an e-commerce course featuring social media.

When approaching books about social media, I am hesitant to spend my hard-earned money on a book that tells you what you already know about Facebook and Twitter. Likeable Social Media was the first book of five I purchased in the business and social media field.

Mr. Kerpen is a talented writer and complements his discussions about what it means to be a "likeable" brand with positive and negative anecdotes. It's a fairly quick read with frequent content headers, screenshots from Facebook and easily-digestible highlights to share with coworkers (such as the "10 Reasons Why Consumers Like Fan Pages on Facebook).

There are other books and resources out there that give more concrete how-to's and a step-by-step guide to undertaking social media. If you are looking for content focused around these areas, seek out whitepapers and ebooks from social media monitoring companies who will gladly hand you the information for free in return for your contact info.

Hands down, the best asset of this book is its appeal to different audiences. While you could place this book in the hands of a CEO to show them the power of social media, I as a 21-year-old digital native confident in my knowledge of social media was able to walk away with roughly 10 pages of notes and suggestions.

Likeable Social Media left me not only encouraged but empowered to undertake the creation of a social media strategy for a company.

Where this book falls short is a lack of diversity. Discussions surrounding Facebook dominate this book--and rightfully so given its place as the top social network. I would have liked to see more discussions on the power of Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google+ in the same scope Facebook is discussed. I do understand though that this book was published in 2011 and things have drastically changed even since then.

However, I still rate this as a five-star book. What's incredible to me is how connected and committed Mr. Kerpen is to this book and building an engaging community. He practices what he preaches. Recently, I tweeted a friend with a suggestion to read this book. Within five minutes, I had a personal tweet sent to me from Mr. Kerpen thanking me for recommending his book.

Mr. Kerpen clearly gives those working in social media a blueprint on how to be more "likeable" and lives it out in his own social, online life.

3.0 out of 5 stars star inflation on Amazon?, February 11, 2012
Amazon Customer (Lawrence, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews

I just don't see how it merits more than 3 stars. That's not to say that it's not a good book or that I didn't get something out of it. There were some good examples used. In general, I agree with almost everything the author had to say. But when I got done reading it, I realized that I hadn't bookmarked many passages. I realized that for the most part, things I already thought or already knew might have been reinforced, but I wasn't really asked to think about anything in a new way.

Also, I should add that, due to my profession, I tend to rate books higher when they are applicable to smaller businesses. Many of the examples used in this book were more applicable to larger brands. I'm not sure that people who run small businesses would get much usable strategy from this book.

Also, not that it impacted this review, but when I went to the facebook page for the author's business--a small business--the only real reference to local businesses contained one link...and it was a broken link. To be fair to the author, I pointed it out in a facebook message, to which he replied very quickly. Not sure if it is fixed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fluff, January 20, 2014
Kyle S "Kyle" (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) - See all my reviews
I had high expectations, after reading such great Amazon reviews, but was extremely disappointed with the overall quality. No new teaching here, and not even anything eye opening or noteworthy. Save your money.

Bottom line: this book (like so many these days) should have taken the form of a few blog posts, or a short article.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast. Entertaining. Informative. Useful., July 8, 2011
I met the author, Dave Kerpen, in 2007 at the first WOMMA Summit (Word of Mouth Marketing Association) that I attended. I knew from the start that Dave would be a key influencer of my education in social engagement and a valuable resource for "how to" information that is based on real life case studies and experiences. At the time, I didn't know that I would become the Board President of WOMMA or that he would become an author and thought leader on the effective use of Facebook (as well as Twitter, You Tube and more). Since that time, Dave and I have come to be good friends, colleagues, and benefactors of each others shared experiences.

In "Likeable Media" Dave gives freely of his experience and drives home the point that consumers are increasingly responsible for the success or failure of brands by what they like and what they say about our brands. Dave has filled his first book with entertaining and interesting case studies and anecdotes that make the 18 lessons easy to understand and apply. It's an ideal book for those that are just getting started, as well as semi-seasoned veterans who are looking for an edge to move them forward in ways that engage and leverage existing and new relationships. Dave is the master of "Likeability" and he shares his insights in a way that is both easy to understand and apply. I found myself noting several opportunities for our business, a northwest regional insurance company, to incorporate Dave's tips in several ways that will increase our fan base, our edge rank, and the number of "likes" that we generate.

I've already passed my copy (which still needs to be autographed by the way) along to a college student that I've helped to mentor over the past year. She'll learn more from this book in a few hours than she could possibly learn in her classes over the next year.

The only criticism that I have for the book is that there were numerous references to the agency that Dave owns and operates... so much so that I started feeling as if I was reading corporate collateral for Likeable Media (the agency). If you are able to look past those repetitive mentions and the reference to his clients, you will come away with a wealth of information that is actionable and very beneficial. Dave gives away in his book what many consultants try to sell at a premium.

Thanks Dave. And congratulations!

NOTE: The opinions offered in this review are my own and do not reflect the views of WOMMA or my employer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Business Owner's Dream, June 15, 2011
A. A. Cohen (Newark, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
As a business owner, this book is just what I want. it cleared up all the confusion I was feeling about social media. Like 95% of small business owners, I'm so clueless about using social media for my business (I'm great at posting photos of my kids and me hiking) that I would not have even read any book on social media if I didn't know Dave (full disclosure - we're good friends, but no one is making me write this review, and I'm being 100% honest, which is easy in this case, thank goodness. Silence was always an option). I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the same man who machine guns concise tweets and posts all day long can also write long-form so engagingly and informatively. The book is easy to read, complete with useful action items at the end of every chapter, and loaded with real-world examples. From Verizon Fios to United Airlines, practical stories of real-world online successes and failures fill the book. His explanation and definition of how a company needs to be engaged with it's customers is worth the price alone. It's part 21st-century marketing manifesto and part social media owners manual. If Anthony Wiener had read the appendix on using Twitter, he might not be in trouble today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Former Social Media Skeptic Is Now Sold, May 29, 2011
I originally thought that Social Media was just a digital platform for narcissistic B List celebrities who had a recurring need to inform the world when they were eating or waiting for a cab. After reading Dave Kerpen's "Likeable Social Media" I now realize how narrow minded this view was. When used correctly, Social Media is an effective tool which companies of all sizes can use to identify, grow, connect, inform and serve their customer base.

Effective Social Media involves listening to your customers in an honest, non-phony way; providing real value for free without worrying about "giving away the store"; promptly responding to crises; developing a feel good online persona and inspiring the customer base. The book is packed with numerous case studies and action items detailing exactly how to achieve these necessary attributes.

This is a book which must be read slowly, earmarked, and read again and again. There is so much to digest--even the author admits most Social Media success is the result of a consistent slow, well thought out process. I intend to employ as many of these valuable ideas into my small tutoring business. Maybe, just maybe, I will be able to take this business to the next level on a shoe string marketing budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone trying to understand Facebook and how it can change your marketing efforts, buy and read this book, June 2, 2011
I responded to a request from the author to review this book. And I am really glad I did.

I, like most marketing professionals honest enough to admit it, am constantly trying to better understand how to use new platforms like Facebook, Twitter and other "social" networks in marketing. While I had heard some of what is covered in this book before, there is a lot I had not, and Dave's writing style is easy to digest and learn from as I went through the book.

Highlights for me were the sections on:

"Likes are more important than links" and how a strong Facebook strategy can drive a lot of traffic and attention to your core messages. Ten years ago, it was all about building a web site, optimizing for SEO and driving cross linkages. Dave makes some great arguments about how a holistic approach to Facebook can drive far more reception and attention to your core marketing efforts today. Interesting and thought-provoking.

"The Brilliance of the Facebook News Feed" and the pages on how Edgerank works to drive notice of your messages and how it all works together around likes, time of day, etc, etc. Very clear explanation of how Facebook algorithms work, and what this means to a marketing pro. These few pages are must reads!

And the areas around creating your company's own Facebook presence; what works and what doesn't; etc are all thought-provoking and already causing some discussions inside our own company about our strategy for Facebook and how we should (and should NOT) use this as part of our overall efforts.

Great book. Well written. Must have for anyone trying to navigate Facebook and understand how to better apply it in the marketing mix. I'm sharing three more copies with others on my team.

Gary Lee
CEO, mBLAST
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Kerpen understands how to be compelling while..., October 1, 2013
Also making you view angles you don't normally see. This video may be simple enough for absolutely anyone to understand and implement, but it is more informative than any textbook I read while I was in college. It goes in depth, for us marketing professionals, and gives examples every step of the way. He lays out exactly what you have to do to not only survive in this "likeable" world, but gives you the tools to thrive in it. I consider myself on the cutting edge of creative and social marketing, and I owe most of that to Dave Kerpen. You really should also follow him on twitter, bc he puts tons of articles on there, and also tweets all of his LinkedIn articles there.
Seriously, check him out, and check out this book.
Brian Wallingford