Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Showing 1-10 of 323 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on June 22, 2011
I've read and reviewed a lot of books on Social Media and this is the first one I've given five stars. It's that good.

I'm a marketer, specializing in the digital realm and I've become increasingly annoyed at the self proclaimed Social Media Experts (SME's) out there. Most are full of hot air and sell snake oil. This is not the case with Dave Kerpen.

This book is clearly written with great examples by someone who has a vast knowledge of this area. Even better, he uses examples of his actual work within the book for us all to learn from (most social media books don't). Each chapter also ends with exercises for you to start considering how to implement the concepts into your business.

There are two aspects that separate this book from the rest. 1. Dave comes at it from the point of the user receiving the marketing and 2.Dave can easily be found on all social media sites giving out free advice, using the methods he describes in the book to grow his readership and business along with it. He walks the walk.

While I don't agree with every element of the book, my quibbles are not worth your time. Just understand that this book is worth purchasing.

I will be suggesting it to everyone I work with that suddenly wants to enter the social media space, but isn't sure why.

Disclaimer: I received a review copy of this book from McGraw Hill.
0Comment143 of 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2011
This book is likeable. It's a two-thumbs up easy read, chock full of important social media marketing strategies that have a down-to-earth quality full of integrity.

"Listen carefully, be transparent, be responsive, be authentic, tell great stories--the qualities that would make you the hotshot at the party--they'll make your organization a likable one on social networks." --Dave Kerpen
The author is right on the mark.

What else about this clever book, you might ask?

1. It shines new light on how to use social media right--stay true to yourself which is great advice for a better world.
2. It's target readers are widespread--from those with their feet wet in social media to neophytes.
3. For those new to the scene or those wanting a review--there's fun content in the back of the book-- 25 pages of thorough explanations, simple ways the different social media platforms can enhance and expand communication with potential and established customers.
4.A chapter on tapping and using your listening skills full blast which you'll need if you want to enter the world of social media; it can make or break.
5 Approaching marketing projects at times like a child--with a sense of wonder, curiosity and super-creative out-of-the-box strategies.
6. Dave teaches sophisticated social media tools and approaches in an easy-to-understand and respectful way.
7. The book is written in a very refreshing and positive light.

Highly recommended. I can see LIKEABLE MEDIA become THE social media marketing textbook. Good for students too. This book to all those who want to hone their social media skills through learning the mechanics of online tools and the new-world marketing strategies that will drive your business to new heights.
55 comments54 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2012
I am a 21-year-old marketing major graduating college in less than six months who helped my college design curriculum for an e-commerce course featuring social media.

When approaching books about social media, I am hesitant to spend my hard-earned money on a book that tells you what you already know about Facebook and Twitter. Likeable Social Media was the first book of five I purchased in the business and social media field.

Mr. Kerpen is a talented writer and complements his discussions about what it means to be a "likeable" brand with positive and negative anecdotes. It's a fairly quick read with frequent content headers, screenshots from Facebook and easily-digestible highlights to share with coworkers (such as the "10 Reasons Why Consumers Like Fan Pages on Facebook).

There are other books and resources out there that give more concrete how-to's and a step-by-step guide to undertaking social media. If you are looking for content focused around these areas, seek out whitepapers and ebooks from social media monitoring companies who will gladly hand you the information for free in return for your contact info.

Hands down, the best asset of this book is its appeal to different audiences. While you could place this book in the hands of a CEO to show them the power of social media, I as a 21-year-old digital native confident in my knowledge of social media was able to walk away with roughly 10 pages of notes and suggestions.

Likeable Social Media left me not only encouraged but empowered to undertake the creation of a social media strategy for a company.

Where this book falls short is a lack of diversity. Discussions surrounding Facebook dominate this book--and rightfully so given its place as the top social network. I would have liked to see more discussions on the power of Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google+ in the same scope Facebook is discussed. I do understand though that this book was published in 2011 and things have drastically changed even since then.

However, I still rate this as a five-star book. What's incredible to me is how connected and committed Mr. Kerpen is to this book and building an engaging community. He practices what he preaches. Recently, I tweeted a friend with a suggestion to read this book. Within five minutes, I had a personal tweet sent to me from Mr. Kerpen thanking me for recommending his book.

Mr. Kerpen clearly gives those working in social media a blueprint on how to be more "likeable" and lives it out in his own social, online life.
33 comments26 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2011
As a business owner, this book is just what I want. it cleared up all the confusion I was feeling about social media. Like 95% of small business owners, I'm so clueless about using social media for my business (I'm great at posting photos of my kids and me hiking) that I would not have even read any book on social media if I didn't know Dave (full disclosure - we're good friends, but no one is making me write this review, and I'm being 100% honest, which is easy in this case, thank goodness. Silence was always an option). I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the same man who machine guns concise tweets and posts all day long can also write long-form so engagingly and informatively. The book is easy to read, complete with useful action items at the end of every chapter, and loaded with real-world examples. From Verizon Fios to United Airlines, practical stories of real-world online successes and failures fill the book. His explanation and definition of how a company needs to be engaged with it's customers is worth the price alone. It's part 21st-century marketing manifesto and part social media owners manual. If Anthony Wiener had read the appendix on using Twitter, he might not be in trouble today.
0Comment49 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2013
Also making you view angles you don't normally see. This video may be simple enough for absolutely anyone to understand and implement, but it is more informative than any textbook I read while I was in college. It goes in depth, for us marketing professionals, and gives examples every step of the way. He lays out exactly what you have to do to not only survive in this "likeable" world, but gives you the tools to thrive in it. I consider myself on the cutting edge of creative and social marketing, and I owe most of that to Dave Kerpen. You really should also follow him on twitter, bc he puts tons of articles on there, and also tweets all of his LinkedIn articles there.
Seriously, check him out, and check out this book.
Brian Wallingford
on March 28, 2012
I picked up Dave's Likeable book before a cross country flight, mainly because I was looking for a good read and some fresh inspiration. I work in social media and video marketing, constantly looking for new ways to generate leads, buzz, viral content, you name it.

This book exceeded my expectations. On the previously mentioned flight, I found myself frantically searching for a pen to jot down ideas that were coming across in the text. I titled this review, "Must Read for Every Marketer," because Dave is not just selling social media, he is selling an attitude. Fostering conversations, encouraging brand advocates, and developing customer relationships are all addressed through the vehicle of social media.
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
Just wanted to do this for fun. This is truly a great read for all levels of Social Media experience levels and for everyone in the field. It explains great strategies and tactics in a conversational way, that you feel Dave Kerpen is actually speaking to you. The stories are warm and funny and very authentic which seems to be his biggest philosophy as a Social Media thought leader. Go out and buy this book, you will not regret it!!!
22 comments8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2013
One of my favorite past times is reading books by people who are doing great things. Dave Kerpen, CEO and Founder of Likeable Marketing, falls in to this category with his book Likeable: Social Media. How to Delight your Customers, Create an Irresistible brand, and Be generally amazing on Facebook (and other social networks). The book sheds light on using Social Media to brand a business. It’s based on a very simple idea: Be Likeable.

Dave’s content is supported by examples, examples and more examples. This provides a lot of context and how working social media, in Likeable fundamentals, can brand your company through word of mouth marketing. One of my favorite examples is about targeting a very specific type of demographic. To practice Dave took an Advertisement out on Facebook and targeted his wife, and only his wife. This has been a large part of how I have tailored this very blog. Targeting transitioning military looking to stay in the D.C. area.

The style of writing is very similar to reading a series of blog postings. Titles and subtitles are very clean and concise. Sub-titles such as: “Eight Cool Things You Can Do with A Facebook Ad” and “How to get the Like: Develop Your Value Proposition” give a blog feel. Coupled with a very relaxed conversational tone makes this book an easy and enjoyable read.

Lastly, all the tools provided can be used be practice by you, right now. Every chapter ends with a Call to Action that gives the reader a framework to start when it comes to marketing and branding. This was a great part of Dave’s book. Practical usage and exercises, if performed, can start showing results as quickly as a week, maybe longer depending on the action item.

During my reading, and knowing I was doing this book review, I was looking for something to enhance the book series. It was hard to find something. Some suggestions are:

Before purchasing the book, have a fundamental understanding of Social Media as a whole. Dave dives right in to Facebook advertising, targeting, and other aspects. For a true social media Novice this could be a little daunting and scary.
Dave focuses heavily on Facebook. I hope he releases more books that encompass his dealings with LinkedIn, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+. He has a lot of Social media knowledge that can be shared across these different platforms.

Pick Up Dave’s book or his other Likeable series and you will not be disappointed. Great content, easy read, and action items that will actually work.
on May 29, 2011
I originally thought that Social Media was just a digital platform for narcissistic B List celebrities who had a recurring need to inform the world when they were eating or waiting for a cab. After reading Dave Kerpen's "Likeable Social Media" I now realize how narrow minded this view was. When used correctly, Social Media is an effective tool which companies of all sizes can use to identify, grow, connect, inform and serve their customer base.

Effective Social Media involves listening to your customers in an honest, non-phony way; providing real value for free without worrying about "giving away the store"; promptly responding to crises; developing a feel good online persona and inspiring the customer base. The book is packed with numerous case studies and action items detailing exactly how to achieve these necessary attributes.

This is a book which must be read slowly, earmarked, and read again and again. There is so much to digest--even the author admits most Social Media success is the result of a consistent slow, well thought out process. I intend to employ as many of these valuable ideas into my small tutoring business. Maybe, just maybe, I will be able to take this business to the next level on a shoe string marketing budget.
11 comment12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2012
Full disclosure: I work with Dave. It's awesome.

As you might expect about a person who works at Likeable Media, I'm a huge social media nerd. I read absolutely every social media book, article and case study I can get my hands on. The unfortunate thing about that is that there's a tendency to repeat what's already been said and regurgitate old information and bore the pants off of everyone. There have actually been a couple instances where I've cracked open a social media book, read a few lines and put it aside in case I was having trouble falling asleep later.

I didn't have that problem with Dave's book. It was informative and interesting and did a great job of incorporating old marketing ideas with new ones. Even in instances where the book was explaining something I felt I already knew about, it did so in a way that I didn't get the urge to kick back in my snuggie and take a nap. I instantly wanted to go check out every example in the book to see first hand how certain brands are doing amazing things in the social media world.

Oh, and in case you're the CEO of a start-up with just about zero spare time on your hands, fear not- it's a fast read.