Raze was a very brutal film about women that are kidnapped and forced to fight for the survival of the person they love the most and themselves due to the fact that this organization kidnaps one of their loved one as well as the women. this strange organization only target women who have fighting skills or military training.

"Sherilyn Fenn" plays a...
Published 12 months ago by Dayna Newman/Slasher Diva

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete misfire
Published 11 months ago by Joe Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars The return of the women in captivity fighting for survival flick, January 14, 2014
This review is from: Raze [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)

"Sherilyn Fenn" plays a complete whack job as the wife of the man in charge, the very strange looking "Doug Jones", actually they're both in charge and "ZoŽ Bell" is amazing as Sabrina the baddest b*tch in captivity.I was shocked by "Rosario Dawson's" appearance in the film because she only had about 4 minutes of screen time and she is actually the biggest name in it.

The beginning was exciting and again brutal.The women keep pairing off to fight to the death and it got a bit monotonous until they start pairing woman that have become friends with each other and this is very heart wrenching to watch in parts.

You of course have Two most bad ass chicks that will eventually fight to the death near the end.There are some fun surprises thrown the viewers way in the third act and the last 20 minutes or so is a full on slash and bash fest.

There are some great aspects of revenge in the third act that will satisfy you especially after all the hell these women have endured by the hands of their captors.

The very end is sort of ambiguous but it left me feeling ok about the entire film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worst Slumber Party Ever ... Or the Best (Depending Upon Your Predilection Toward Violence), May 13, 2014
This review is from: Raze (DVD)
Remember when you were a kid, and something came on the tube that looked an awful lot like it was going to feature women behind bars? It looked like it was going to be filled with every sequence of catfight after catfight, ladies going at it (for their dear lives!)? They’d be scratching, pulling hair, kicking, punching away at one another inside of ninety minutes, and you knew – without a doubt – that only the strong would survive? Remember how – when the trailer ended – mom and dad made you turn the channel or (worse!) simply turn the TV off because they didn’t want you watching that “garbage”? Oh, come on, you pleaded with them, just let me watch the first fight, and then you’ll turn it off, but they still refused, telling you that there were much better things you could do with your time under their roof, in that city, on this Earth?

RAZE is the film you want to watch to make up for missing the other.

(NOTE: The following review will contain minor spoilers necessary solely for the discussion of plot and/or characters. If you’re the type of reader who prefers a review entirely spoiler-free, then I’d encourage you to skip down to the last three paragraphs for my final assessment. If, however, you’re accepting of a few modest hints at ‘things to come,’ then read on …)

From the box art: “After she is drugged and abducted, Jamie awakens to find herself in a concrete bunker where she meets fellow abductee Sabrina. Before long the two women discover that they are in a modern-day coliseum, where they and 48 other women have been selected to fight to the death in order to save both themselves and their loved ones. Co-starring genre favorites Doug Jones and Sherilyn Fenn, director Josh C. Waller’s RAZE is a no-holds-barred assault on the senses featuring some of the most brutal combat action ever put on film. In this contest, may the best woman win.”

Confession time: I’d seen a preview for RAZE either late last year or earlier this year. I honestly don’t remember which. Meh, the time isn’t important. Anyway, I’d long ago tired out on the whole idea of taking previews seriously. I’d been burned by so many great theatrical trailers down through the years, that – probably ten years back – I said “no more,” and I stopped getting excited about the promised features. After all, they never live up to the hype.

This trailer was a bit different. It struck a chord. It rang a bell. It promised Zoe Bell in a leading role, and, for those of you who wouldn’t know her face, you’ve probably seen her work. She’s a wonderfully talented stunt woman from New Zealand. During XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS? When Xena was doing something particular bad-ass? That wasn’t really Lucy Lawless you watched. Odds are, it was Zoe Bell. If you don’t think she’s the cat’s meow like I do, then I encourage you to check out her ‘stunts’ profile on IMDB.com. Bell’s the real deal – the kind of girl every fanboy wants to take home to meet mom ‘cause he knows she might not be good enough for him but she’ll definitely go down fighting for him.

So I saw that trailer, and – with guarded optimism – I said, “Don’t get your hopes up. Don’t overthink it. Don’t hold your breath.” Like I told you, I’d learned my lesson. I’d been let down before. I didn’t want to be let down again. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I heard a little bird whisper, “Zoe won’t disappoint you. You’ll see.”

Well, I just watched RAZE … and it’s perfect.

In fact, I’m so smitten with it I hope there’s a sequel. And another. And another. I hope every film in the history of films yet to be written can take a lesson from its benign simplicity: when it comes to action, don’t spare the girl. Why? Well, here’s a few good reasons. Sarah Connor. Ripley. Nikita. Michonne. Eva Green as Artemisia in 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE. Angelina Jolie in SALT. Uma Thurman in KILL BILL. Milla Jovovich in any of the RESIDENT EVIL picks. And Michelle Yeoh in just about anything she’s done.

The more of them, the happier we fanboys are.

Plus, it’ll only get Zoe Bell more work.

RAZE (2013) is produced by Cinipix, Cosmic Toast Studios, and Quincy Pictures. DVD distribution is being handled by MPI Media Group under the IFC Midnight label. As for the technical specifications, this is one smartly made flick, ponying up some deliciously delirious sights and sounds to anyone who’s willing to sit for it. Lastly, if it’s special features you want, then – like with the film – you’re in for the time of your life: there’s a commentary, cast and crew interviews, deleted scenes, extended fight sequences, a gag reel, multiple theatrical trailers, and no doubt a kitchen sink somewhere I missed: a sprawling assortment, which shows that everyone involved knew that fans would most definitely want to know more! Bravo!

HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION POSSIBLE. I’m not a fool. I know that RAZE is not the kind of film that’ll please everyone. Nor will my ringing endorsement please others. However, as a lifelong fan of action films and as a budding aficionado of flicks dabbling in exploitation, I must unabashedly admit to loving every minute of it from start-to-finish. It’s a no holds barred bloody knuckle brawl that should be celebrated by those who’ll love it most, which means telling most high-brow critics to go stuff themselves because they couldn’t possibly understand why it’s just so darn good.

In the interests of fairness, I’m pleased to disclose that the fine folks at MPI Media Group provided me a DVD copy of RAZE by request for the expressed purposes of completing this review; and their contribution to me in no way, shape or form influenced my opinion of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Ready for the main event", January 11, 2014
This review is from: Raze (Amazon Instant Video)
Beyond brutal and containing a giant amount of fight and kill action, RAZE is as advertised: A full-on pummeling with superb blood effects, cool set-designs, first-class photography and tons of bone shattering head-smashes. There are excellent touches of gore but the flick is not as exploitative as many other sadistic thrillers.

RAZE is definitely a horror movie, however, so buyer beware as it's a particularly disturbing one. Fans of hyper-violent film should watch immediately. Bravo Ladies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly impressed, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Raze [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
Out of the blue with little hype (I think maybe I've seen it in two separate articles, with very brief information) comes a powerhouse of an action horror film, Raze. Starring and produced by Zoe Bell, this little indie film that delivers skull crushing, bone breaking, eye gouging sequences of total all out violence, tells the story of an organized underground facility where 50 women are pitted against each other in order to survive.

Rather than introduce us to the entire group, we enter the "tournament" where the ladies have whittled each other down to a group of six to eight left - the best of the best, if you will. As we are thrown into the middle of the action, we come to accept that their lives dwindle inside the walls of their cells as well as the arena, and that is all that matters in Raze. Over time, we get to know this group of women and by the time the film hit the halfway mark, I had chosen sides and officially began to care about these characters. Adrenaline was rushing through my veins, and I was on the edge of my seat, when just previously as the opening credits were rolling, I was in the middle of nodding off to sleep.

Lately, I haven't been too terribly impressed with IFC Midnight offerings, so I was doing my best not to extend the reach of my hopes too high. I was absolutely impressed, however, which slapped me in the face and I could feel the bruise left behind almost as if I were pummeled by one of these fierce women's iron fists. Not only did Zoe Bell turn out an outstanding, very believable performance, I was also thrown when every other star held their own as well. Rachel Nichols and Tracie Thoms were other highlights, although I'm a fan of theirs in the first place. There literally wasn't a single moment in Raze where I found myself daydreaming, eyes wandering, or feeling the boredom kicking in.

This is a gritty, bloody tooth-and-nail battlefield from start to bloody finish. (Did I mention it's bloody as hell?) It's been such a long time since I found myself rooting so hardcore for specific characters in a horror, I was yelling at the screen. I was incredibly pumped and once s*** hits the fan in the last act of the film, I was soaring from the intensity of the film - which is so eloquent in it's simplicity, I was wrought with primal, animalistic emotions as if I were in the arena myself.

Raze is the first film of 2014 to truly knock me flat on my ass and simply impress me, and I know from this film alone that this year in horror is going to be phenomenal. Available in limited theaters and on On Demand as of January 10th, make your way to see this movie any which way you can. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING MOVIE!!!, February 1, 2014
juliet hutton (Canary Wharf, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raze [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
I thoroughly enjoyed this heart stopping thriller! Zoe Bell delivers the performance of the year with this film!!! I can't recommend it highly enough! Looking forward to RAZE II !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars RAZE women are Badass, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Raze (Amazon Instant Video)
Very intense movie. Kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. These women really kick some butt. Hope this comes out on DVD, I'm all over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Raze (Amazon Instant Video)
Zoe bell and cast kick ass, literally. This is certainly an exiting movie, al la Fight Club and Hostel (minus the extreme gore), but stripped down to simple, raw, violence.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete misfire, February 2, 2014
Joe Smart (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raze (Amazon Instant Video)
Warning: spoilers. Young women are kidnapped and forced to fight each other to the death for the entertainment of others. You've very likely seen this story done before--but never with the ill-advised seriousness on display here. Raze is filmed and scored with all the lightness and humor of a holocaust film--which pretty much drains every ounce of entertainment value from the pulpy material.

The movie makes a fatal mistake almost immediately: At the start it appears that actress Rachel Nichols will be the lead, but the filmmakers pull a bait and switch--she is killed in the first fight and Zoe Bell becomes the lead character. The problem? While Bell, who was Uma Thurman's stunt double on the Kill Bill films, acquits herself about as well as you would expect during the fight sequences the more emotional scenes are far beyond her abilities, making it impossible to care one way or another what happens to her. The filmmakers would have been much better off using Rachel Nichols as the lead and Zoe Bell as the villain--that way she could still do her thing in the fight scenes without killing the rest of the movie.

The fight scenes are brutal but they become repetitive and dull very quickly.

The only entertainment value in the entire movie is oddball character actor Doug Jones, who plays the L Ron Hubbard like cult leader who is behind the fights. During the film's one and only truly effective scene a number of the woman are strapped down to school desks while he explains the higher purpose behind what they are doing. Unfortunately, Jones isn't given much to play with beyond that one scene.

Raze will undoubtedly appeal to people who like to see women beat the crap out of each other and require nothing more. Everyone else is strongly advised to give Raze a pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Zoe Bell Performance, August 22, 2014
This review is from: Raze (Amazon Instant Video)
This is an intense, brutal film and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone; i.e., those people who don't want intensity or brutality in a film experience. It is also an ensemble film, with individual performances subordinated to the dynamic of the whole, and--in its way--very much a chick flick in the sense that (I believe) it strives to be an allegory of modern feminism. Strangely enough, when I compared it to other films in terms of mood, feel, purpose (and even plot), the closest I could find in memory was Pascal Laugier's French extreme horror film, 'Martyrs'. Both movies are hard to watch. Neither is forgettable.

And then, of course, there's Zoe Bell. Her trademark is her physicality; hence, Bell seeks out roles that stress her amazing action hero athleticism. Bell's male counterparts such as Schwarzenegger, Von Damme, and other now-aging members of the Expendables franchise have been doing the same thing for decades. So have several women, for that matter, but the thing that differentiates Zoe Bell from other female action stars is that, unlike, say, (a young) Sigourney Weaver or Milla Jovovich, Zoe Bell is not conventionally movie-star beautiful. Her sharp, angular features and prominent nose don't lend themselves to Maybelline commercials. But watch how she moves. Watch her eyes. She's extraordinary.

I hope Zoe Bell takes on a non-action role at some point. It's a huge professional risk given that Bell's biggest audience draw is her super-stuntwoman reputation, but I think she has the acting chops to pull it off.

Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutally Epic, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Raze [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
This movie gets you within the first 10 minutes. It doesn't shy away from being brutal and it can't be put in one particular genre but it can be labelled bad ass! The fights are all gut wrenching and not just because of the breaking bones. The women of this movie bring it emotionally and that's what makes this movie epic cause I dont think I've been effected so much in fight sequences. Tracie Thoms knocks it out of the park. But the star of this movie is miss ZoŽ Bell. This is her break out acting role that will propel her into major stardom. You care for her right off the bat which is a hard thing to do. She holds your attention and is riveting. She is the one to keep your eye on!!!

Raze (2013) Limited Edition Mediabook UNCUT Blu-ray + DVD