It began life as a 1947 Chrysler Saratoga New Yorker. Then came a melange of modifications, most notably a pair of exaggerated eight-foot Zippo lighters adorned with neon flames.
In 1948, the Zippo Car arrived to enormous fanfare. Over the next several years, it would tour each of then 48 states, appearing in every major parade in the country.
However, by the late 1950s, the many miles and the sheer bulk of the lighters began to take their toll on the Zippo Car's weary chassis. Little did anyone know as it hobbled into a Pittsburgh auto dealership for repairs that they had seen the last of the original Zippo Car. What was never lost was the remarkable contribution the car made to the growing popularity of the Zippo lighter.
Now, more than 50 years later, Zippo announces the triumphant return of its four-wheeled pride and joy. In 1996, another Chrysler Saratoga New Yorker was acquired and re-creation of the Zippo car begun. The new Zippo Car will take up permanent residence at the Zippo/Case Visitors Center in Bradford, Pennsylvania.
For anyone who holds dear genuine Americana, Zippo presents an exquisite Limited Edition Collectible of the original 1947 Zippo Car, in recognition of its vast popularity, the goodwill it generated, and the memories it created.