Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on February 20, 2014
If you dont impale your significant other, or knock over all moms good china carrying one of these bulbs around, and manage to insert it into a socket, and your arms and wrists dont give out before you have completed the required revolutions to power this thing, then watch the F@!# out. these are the biggest brightest cfl bulbs i would imagine in our existence. I felt like i quite possibly had gotten to that same carnival game tom hanks in "Big" gave a shot, because my hands were dwarfed by the sheer mass of the things. And after I got the rigged up, I was blown away. Literally. Im allergic to light. thats not true, but the fact that these bulbs are enormous, and incredibly bright is.

The bulbs were well worth the small price tag. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. they are well made, good materials, hardy, dont explode into your face like tiny death shards of mercury and glass, and have lasted quite a long time at consistent brightness. I have lets just say put them to the test, being used in a constant light (as in 24 hours) garden ( i like to grow only vegetation native to northern alaska summers), for a time period of around 2 months now, and they still are within 45 lumens of their original output. (im a scientist, i know these things) but seriously, buy these bulbs for anything you may need a second sun for. they dont get hot to the touch, unlike those evil exploding tungsten bulbs, and they are a hell of a lot cheaper. Buy these.. I did
44 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2014
Excellent deal - bulbs are HUGE!
Low heat / massive light - love the boxes and foam cases they came in - keep these for storing the bulbs when not in use.
However, they are 5500k and not 6500k. I called the manufacturer and they confirmed that advertisement should read 5500 k.
on November 12, 2013
I am sure that I would be raving about these lights, if one of the lights hadn't arrived broken. Before trying it out, I thought I heard a rattling noise in the base. However, I could not replicate the sound and decided that it was in my mind. I screwed the light in and it flicker. Then it went from flickering to smoking! I turned it off quickly, but not before my smoke detector went off. I think I would have rated the light even lower, if it wasn't for Amazon's amazing customer service. I asked it I had to return both lights, or if I could just return the broken item. I was told that the seller didn't have an option for replacements, but they would credit me the cost of the lights. I would then be free to simply order another set. I was advised to simply discard the broken light.

The one light that did work was excellent. Of course, at 105-watts it was super bright! The light did have a bluish tint, but my auto white balance fixed it up right away. If anything was amiss, I am sure that I could adjust it upon import into Lightroom.
on April 5, 2014
Fabulous! Get a 4-bulb adapter here on Amazon and you can produce some serious, color-corrected (6500K) light kit for an umbrella light. Great for creating a portable studio. Richard N. Cote' Salon / Fashion, lingerie, and boudoir photographer, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
on July 8, 2013
The are big. They are bright. 2 of them almost light my 30 x 25 garage. Almost. Dont get them if you are in fear of hanging too low and breaking them. Much better then my 4 way light adapter I got here on amazon...even though the wattage of 4 combined is higher this is brighter.
on March 2, 2016
Incredible light. It's not thaat big as some have said. I'm used to CFL lights so this lights' dimensions are nothing to write home about.
(Instead of 4 spirals , this one has 6).

It has been used two days now. 7 hours each day. It is under our porch. Rain doesn't get to it, but it's cold and windy and it works perfectly.
If you wan't a BRIGHT WHITE light, this is it.
on February 13, 2015
The one reviewer who talked, (with his tongue firmly in his cheek), about how big and bright these bulbs are, is spot on.
(See his review here: http://tinyurl.com/mxgqw7f )

As far as the size is concerned, they are pretty darn big and they dwarf just about any other bulb I have seen, except for maybe a Mercury Vapor street-light bulb. I'm mentioning this because, even though the specs tell you how big and heavy these beasts are, you really can't grasp their humongous size until you see them unpacked on your kitchen table. Wow! If you imagine a light bulb that's almost exactly a foot long, and as thick as a big man's hand is wide, that's pretty much how big they are. As big as a newborn, as one reader said? Dunno, but I think that would be a pretty darn big newborn. Maybe after a month or two would be a better fit.

The shipping box is about two feet square, which fits two bulbs (in their boxes) side-by-side. Measured from tip of the base to the top of the lamp, it's 11 inches long, and across the diameter it's 4 (or so) inches across.

I have attached a picture showing one of the two bulbs attached to a hanging lamp fixture. The other lamp in the fixture is a standard size light bulb, just like the ones in a table lamp. Note the difference in size - this thing is HUGE! You will notice, at the left edge of the picture, the other bulb installed in the fixture - I had to install both of them to keep the hanging fixture from leaning at a 45 degree angle.

It is 9 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside today, and these lamps sat in that cold for at least an hour before I brought them in. so they were COLD when unpacked. (I am sure you know how dim a cold CFL can be at first start.) The second photo is the two lamps, still ice cold, at initial startup. You can't see in the picture how bright they really are, even when cold. I don't know, but strongly suspect, that you might be able to get a sun-tan from them! (laughing!)

Seriously, with two of those beasties running and warmed up, you could probably shoot production quality video, they're that bright.

Another thing: After being on for about 30-or-so minutes, these things get quite warm, bordering on HOT to the touch. Maybe not "burn yourself" hot, but hotter than I'd like in an enclosed fixture. Especially as I have noticed that CFL bulbs can, and do, die quickly if enclosed. (I suspect that the heat fries the electronics in the base.) In an exposed photo-flood, or bounce-light fixture, they should be fine. If they are going to be enclosed at all I'd start seriously thinking about how to dissipate the heat, especially if mounted upside-down.

I should mention that **ANY** CFL bulb will get quite hot to the touch after being run for a while, so this is not something unique to *these* bulbs. It is just something you will want to keep in the back of your mind when designing a fixture or application for it.

I bought these things to make a SAD light-box on the cheap, and I suspect that they will do all of that, and then some.

Am I impressed? Yes.
Would I buy them again? Yes. (p.s. I already did, see below.)
Do you need a higher-power electric feed for them? Absolutely! (Just Kidding!)
Would I put these monsters in a clip-on light fixture? No way! Not only "no way", but no effing way!!

Jim (JR)

Update:
My kid brother saw the review - and the pictures! - now HE's getting a pair of these beasts too!
on October 10, 2015
Two bulbs arrived 3 months ago and one has failed already. It showed scorching at one end of the tube - overheat. Good bulbs but should last longer than this.

Looking harder at this (and other CFL bulb brands) I see that the ventilation slots are sometimes completely blocked by plastic flashing, a defect which would cause hot running. This is a defect in the manufacture. The ventilation slots should be cleared out during the assembly process. I suggest that anyone with these bulbs should check the ventilation slots for blockage. Cleaning them out would allow the bulb to run cooler and perhaps extend its life.

Update: vendor replaced the bulb immediately at no charge with a newer model.
on July 21, 2015
Extremely large bulbs, puts out a decent amount of light. I ordered it for use as a video light but the output wasn't strong enough - maybe if you use more than one at a time which is difficult considering the size of the bulb. I opted instead to use work lights from Lowes for my video lighting needs.
on December 26, 2013
They are very bright, but not enough to overcome an F4 lens. Their color seems true and if my 55 watt ones are an indication then they last a good long time. Don't toss the boxes and packaging, its the best way to store the bulbs.