5.0 out of 5 stars Proven Performance
Published 15 months ago by Joe Bouler

3.0 out of 5 stars Priced too high
This is a great welder for the Home Depot & Lowes price of $269.00. Don't pay over $300.
Published on November 17, 2009 by J. C. Niemeyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Priced too high, November 17, 2009
This review is from: Lincoln Electric K1170 AC225S Stick Welder (Tools & Home Improvement)

5.0 out of 5 stars Proven Performance, January 4, 2013
These welders are commonly referred to as a buzz box or a juke box because of the noise it makes and it's shape. They have been around forever and the basic design has not changed. No shop is complete without one. Unless you're into welding aluminum or exotic metals, this machine will handle most any job you put in front of it. Linclon is a name that is well known and respected among welders. If in the very unlikely event you need replacement parts, they are available. This review is on the welder, not the shield that comes with it. The shield is acceptable and better than some of the hand held junk that comes with other welders. The prices on this machine varies so it pays to shop around for the best price. This is a welder that will most likely last a lifetime and be handed down to your children and grandchildren. If you find it keeps tripping the breaker, it's not the fault of the welder. You need to upgrade your electrical service. I don't remember, but I believe it requires a 50 amp breaker. Don't blame the welder if you have it on a 40 amp breaker and it keeps tripping. This welder is simple, basic and easy to understand and operate. Many people prefer the wire feed welders becuse you don't have to keep changing welding rods. This is an "Old School" stick welder and works as good today as it did when my grandfather owned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lincoln AC-225 230 V Welder, May 15, 2008
This is a great quality welder for the price. The customer service was absolutely superb. I spoke with the vendor on multiple ocassions and was called back promptly and graciously, even when the question was not related to their direct involvement with my purchase. Way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lincoln always has good products, September 8, 2011
AGShane (N little Rock, AR USA) - See all my reviews
The K1170 was an upgrade from a 120v welder.

Keep in mind the welding helmet does not come with the welder, I bought an automatic darkening helmet from Amazon and it really makes striking the arc a snap. I also bought the wheel kit for this machine, to make it more mobile.

As for performance it is a strong and will burn through 16 or 18 gauge steel if you are not careful. Also be sure you choose the proper electrodes, don't get them too small or use too many amps or they will turn black (too much heat).

The vendor was great and the welder arrived when they said it would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Welder, July 6, 2013
I have owned my Lincoln 225 for 22 years and it has worked perfectly. I use a Mig welder for most of the small stuff, but when I need real heat and penetration nothing does the job like my little 225.

2.0 out of 5 stars good but wrong price, February 17, 2014
Good machine for the garage or small shop. Does what its supposed to do but only 2 stars because of the price. You can go pick one up at Lowe's, home depot, or pretty much any welding supply house for under 300 bucks. These guys are way over priced. We all use Amazon looking for a good deal... this is far from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, August 30, 2010
I am learning how to weld and this welder has a reputation of being a quality and long proven welder. I am welding thin metal and I am using this welder at its minimum current rating and it works real good. I need more practice to make it look pretty, but it is sticking together. My 5 star rating also goes to Amazon.com. With free shipping I received this welder in 5 days.
A.j.Groot

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Reliable Welder, But not as good as Miller Thunderbolt, February 17, 2013
Was going to buy this welder after my Dad let me borrow his Lincoln 225. Used it and worked well on 6013 sticks he gave me. Did the job. Plenty of grinding clean up but I figure thats due to my inexperience. I was going to buy the AC/DC Lincoln welder at $479 but my Father in law wound up giving me his old Miller Thunderbolt (he has numerous welders all over his shop, and its about time some dowry came my way!). Its also a 225V AC with DC. I rigged up some cables and just got done testing it out today... Wow! What a difference. My welds look much better. The arc was much easier to strike and there was no buzzing like on the Lincoln. This was with the AC setting. The Lincoln "Buzz Box" certainly earns its name.

The Miller kinda put the Lincoln to shame. The two are very closely priced. I havent used the newer Lincoln welders, but I dont think the design has changed...I am a newby to welding but I can tell you that the Thunderbolt was much easier to get good welds. Sticking was not an issue on the Miller either like I experienced on the Lincoln. On the Lincoln it seemed like I would get good welds then stick...then I was constantly going up and down 20 Amps...too much and I was blowing the metal away...too little and aggravating sticking of the electrode...

Go ahead and buy, you probably wont be dissapointed....until you use your neighbors Miller.

Can't wait for my Dad to try this Thunderbolt.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lincoln Welder, November 9, 2010
This order was shipped as promised. The machine is all that I expected it to be. The only gripe that I have is that the hood was not part of the deal. I never recieved the Welders Hood that is in the picture of the deal. So for that little overlooked item of the deal I can not recommed this seller to anyone. Other reviews say that the hood is not the best and they went out and bought another one. That is fine, but they got the one that came with the deal, I didn't.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatified with my purchase!!, August 30, 2013
If you are going to advertise a product and you are only selling that product (the welding machine) don't show other items with it (welding shield, and rods), this makes folks think these items come with the machine. !!

ARRAY(0xa746b21c)