Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 6, 2005
I agree with Oceandweller who said he/she wished this book were still in print so he/she could send a copy to all his/her friends. This book is terrific right from page one until the very end. I bought this book used, I forget how much I paid. Whatever I paid, it was worth it. It's not often in one's lifetime that one comes across a book like this, both educational and entertaining. Dale Carnegie pulls you right into the story from the very first page and you just can't extricate yourself from then on until the book ends. Not only was the story so interesting, but Lincoln comes across as the wisest of men. "With malice towards none and charity for all..." these, his words, keep echoing in my mind. Though he fought the civil war, a terribly bloody war, he did this to save this great nation. His words and his sentiment must be what is meant by 'love your enemies'(St Luke 6:27). Lincoln had no church; he said, "When I do good, I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad, and that's my religion". But through his life he exemplies the best which man can aspire to. After reading this book, for me Lincoln stands head and shoulders above all the greatest men of whom I know something (there may be others like him but I haven't met or read about them). This book should be required reading in all the high schools - in my humble opinion.
22 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2004
I first read this book in early 1994. It left a lasting impression on me. The account of Abraham Lincoln's life is remarkably written by Dale Carnegie. This is not the story about the Lincoln that we learned about in school. Lincoln used his life struggles and applied them to his life to make him one of the greatest Presidents. Mr. Carnegie goes deep into the background to bring us a story of a young man and the trials that he went through to get to the White House. We can see the problems that Lincoln had while in the office of President. It would be hard to imagine what this country would be like if Lincoln had not been President because his foresight about this country and what he wanted to accomplish was remarkable. For example, the conflicts with staff and generals of the armies made Lincoln sometimes judge himself harshly. This book should be read by anyone who has an interest in Political Science or just wants to know more about the President. This is a very interesting book that I found hard to put down. I have read this many times and I cherish each moment that I spend reading the book.
on January 28, 2002
This is a thoroughly engrossing book. I could not put it down after finding it in my grandmother's collection of old books. It inspired me to become a better person and to strive for perfection and integrity in everything that I do. This book talks about the Lincoln that we were not taught about in history classes. I was impressed with the fact that Lincoln totally despised slavery. Especially after witnessing the treatment of a mulatto slave girl on the auction block by prospective buyers. His triumphs and failures make him seem much more human. Not only was he a great President, but a great human being as well. It illustrates the fact that the only true measure of real success is the ability to endure pain. If you can get your hands on this book, it is a must read.
on July 16, 2004
All I can say is, if you really want to get most out of your life, and wish to be able to tell your friends and family you had a great life at your last day, you should read this book.
on February 4, 1999
Mr. Carnegie did a fantastic job in providing a wonderful survey of Abraham Lincoln. President Lincoln had such depth of character, gained through the many trials of his life. Mr. Carnegie provided so many rich details about Lincoln and communicated them in his typical breezy fashion. The book was written for "the average hurried citizen" in 1932. The style is superb for even today's reader (in 1999). This is an excellent biography of one of history's greatest figures. The reader is treated to the experiences and people who formed Lincoln's thinking, to his enemies and friends, and to the millions of citizens who have been affected by his leadership in the past 135+years.
on November 30, 1999
It is a superbly written book about one of the greatest leaders that mankind has known. It is amazing how Lincoln, from humble origins, shaped up to become so great. He is an insipiration to all. I only wish that this book was in print - I would send it to several of my friends.
on September 26, 2014
This book helped me to truly understand why he was such a great man and what it takes to be great. It also made me see suffering in completely new way. In spite of all his woes, he chose to do what is right before God. Long suffering has prepared him to lead our country at a such tumultuous time. This book has taught me valuable lessons about life.
on April 27, 2015
Ordered a Lincoln book and received a snake toilet seat. I'm not sure what happened in the warehouse that day. I guess if Honest Abe liked snakes, we could learn to appreciate them too. Ended up keeping the snake seat cover because, honestly, both the book and the seat cover would end up in the bathroom. I keep telling guests to visit the Lincoln bathroom. No one will come back over after visiting the toilet. I guess not everyone shares Abe's appreciation of pythons.
on December 21, 2005
If you don't know anything about Lincoln this book is for you!

The author, Carnegie, was enthralled with Lincoln and by the end of the book you will be too.

The book does an excellent job portraying who Loncoln was from childhood to adult to Presidency. It was the first book I ever read on Lincoln and I ended up learning so much about this superlative man.

A great introduction to Lincoln.
on January 1, 2009
I came home to visit my mom for Christmas after my dad passed away. When I was a kid, I often saw this book on the shelf but never bothered to read it. Now I felt as if I wanted to read a book so I picked up this one off the old shelf.

When I used to think about Lincoln in school he was a president who made a famous speech after Gettysburg and emancipated the slaves. But I had never known his real life and love. For example, I had not known that Mary Todd was the witch from hell and how Lincoln emerged from obscurity and became the Republican nominee at the 1860 Chicago convention by a series of coincidences. I had not known the humor of Lincoln, how he loved to tell funny stories and was a huge fan of Shakespeare. And despite what you might have already learned about Lincoln, would you have ever guessed he was one of the most despised men of his day (by the elitist Northern press) during his presidency? His policies were called a disaster - The war was lost - The worst president of all time - a very close re-election - and so forth.

In short, this book is written masterfully and you won't be able to put it down.