Linda Goodman's Sun Signs
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on November 1, 2000
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I was skeptical about astrology until I read this book.It converted me, and I got into a serious study of the subject.When I read about my sun sign (Aquarius) in this book I was bowled over by Linda's penetrating observations.Astrology tells us much more about personality than psychology ever can, especially when it is made so accessible by Linda.She writes in a very readable manner, and has an enormous appreciation of the quirks and foibles of human nature.Linda gives generous servings of a delicious sense of humor.For example, many Librans, she says, have dimpled knees, "but be careful.Very few girls will believe you when you tell them that you were staring at their knees 'because I want to see if you were born in October.'"Linda presents a rundown of how males and females of each sign act in a romantic situation.Men can learn much from this book because Linda has the knack of showing the more subtle aspects of relationship from a female point of view.For example, one way, she says, of attracting a Cancer man is to "Wear one of those bracelets made of foreign coins.That will strike two sensitive chords - travel to faraway places - and cash." In the book are many helpful hints for lovers, tailored for each sun sign.As Linda says in her introduction, she believes people can be more tolerant of others if they understand them through astrology.This book is informative and a joy to read.The world today is too conformist.Linda makes you realize how wonderful and wacky people can be, and we need all people to enrich life by living out their star-spun destinies.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2003
Format: Mass Market Paperback
First of all, if you own this book <I'm talking about the small mass-market version; if you're fortunate enough to have the hard-cover first edition, put it under lock and key, won't you?>, don't loan it with any expectations of getting it back. It just won't happen. The friend you loaned it to will loan it to another friend who "just has to have it," and that friend will loan it to another friend "who's going through a really bad time and will need this," who will loan it to another friend who has "just met this person, and needs to know all about him/her", who in turn loaned it to. . .and on it goes.
This book is a classic. I don't use that word lightly. I still have my "first edition" put carefully away as if someone handles it one more time, it will likely fall apart.
"Linda Goodman's Sun Signs" is one of those books I pull off my library shelf and read through randomly for sheer pleasure, or because I've met someone new and interesting and discretely discovered their birthday. It's rarely led me wrong.
What's worse, when I read the description of the typical Sagittarian, and the Sagittarian male, it reads like it was written by me, my mother, the CIA, the FBI, and all my friends through more than the half century I've spent on this planet. I first found that rather scary, but now I find it comforting. It means I'm simply being me, the person as I am supposed to be.
Over the years, Ms. Goodman has been criticized for her somewhat "shallow" approach to a controversial topic. Whether Astrology has any "scientific" validity, I leave to better minds than my own. But I can testify, from my own experience, that if I can learn an individual's birthday, read Ms. Goodman's text on that sun-sign, and whenever possible, take into account the ascending sign, the moon sign, and other astrological influences that may alter the basic influence of the Sun on a person's birth, I've rarely found Ms. Goodman to be far off the mark.
But of course, that's simply my own unique experience. Many scientists, physicists, and astronomers will swear on a stack of Bibles that the position of the planets cannot possibly influence the personality of a person born at such-and-such a place at this-and-this an hour, under that-and-that configuration of heavenly bodies. I must in fairness point out, however, that mathematics will also conclusively prove that a bumblebee cannot fly! A bumblebee's wings are too slender, it's body is too fat an unaerodynamic, for it ever to acheive the condition of lift plus thrust being greater than load plus drag; the situation necessary to acheive flight! L+T > Ld + D = F. That's the equation. Look it up.
All I'm saying is that Ms. Goodman's charming book gives me a roadmap of the Twelve Signs of the Zodiac about as reliable as the latest Rand/McNalley to earthbound travel.
And that's about as good as it gets.
Just don't loan it out and expect it back. Buy two. One to loan, and one to keep <and keep the second one for yourself!>!!
on February 4, 2001
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I remember reading this book years ago! And I do mean years! I was probably 16 or 17 years old. Why would that be important for a review? Because I understood it then, and refer back to it now. In fact I am on my 3rd copy! 1st one, because of all the use, fell apart. 2nd one, lent out and was so good never came back. 3rd one, sits on my bookcase in the area designed for most frequently used books. Sun Signs describes the Suns aspects on ones personalities for everyone in your life. Boss, Male, Female, Child. And very darn accurate if I may add. The reading is kept simple while staying informative. Personally, I don't want to learn how to perform astrology on someone, I just like to read the characteristics. Trine and Seventh Houses overwhelm me! This book is terrific if thats what you are after. I have to say, it helped me to learn where someone is coming from, the way they view life, and the best way to manage my interactions with them. So by understanding where that person in your life is operating from, your encounters can be on a more positive note. As far as enchancing myself and my life, it helped there as well. I am a Sag. When I read this book eons ago, I recall reading about the Sag woman. I was barely a woman at 16 but thats the chapter I read just the same! heehee I recall reading how sometimes a Sag can wound others with their words...they do not mean to do so, but they do. And whether intentional or not, wounds hurt. Even at the young age of 16, upon reading that description, from this book, it aided me to weigh my words just a bit more! Havent conquered this totally quite yet! hahaha But Linda Goodmans insightful words sure did help. Recommend adding this to your collection strongly. I could promise, it'll be dog eared and picked up time and time again!
on January 9, 2002
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Very often the people who believe in astrology know little about it and the people who are critical of astrology know even less about it! that was a quote by grant lewi,another great astrologer.The aim of Linda s book Sun Signs is to enlighten both believers and non believers about astrology. In a witty , entertaining and shockingly accurate way, she describes all 12 sun signs & has included 5 main classifications under each sign (man ,woman ,child, employer,employee,) so you could learn how to deal with anyone from your Aquarian boss to a Leo child.Although "Sun Signs"is an excellent base for anyone , you must remember that it is not wholly accurate as it can't take into account the various other aspects of a person ;for eg: a Piscean with a Leo moon is more aggressive than a Piscean with a
cancerian moon.therefore you might not feel that the description of your sign fits you completely.Still, this book remains one of the all time astro classics as it can convince even the sceptic about the accuracy and usefulness of astrology when it comes to understanding others.
on January 23, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I own this book in hard copy and despite being the oldest, most decrepit book I have ever set eyes on, people still ask me to lend it to them, promising to take care of it. As has already been said, buy at least two copies; one for you and one to loan out.
That's where the five star rating comes from. When I was given a Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display for Christmas this was the first book I bought. Unfortunately, it appears that the original author's words have been badly edited to better "fit" these modern times. The allusions to well known celebrities that Linda Goodman herself made were sensible, but the new version has replaced these with icons that don't always fit what the author has said.
As well as this, the "Boss" sections of each sign have been altered to use a female pronoun. Being a woman myself, I would have had no problem with this if it had been done neatly and correctly. But it WASN'T.
From The Gemini Boss: "But the Gemini executive doesn't know HIMSELF which side of the bed SHE'S going to get out on each morning..."
From The Cancer Boss: "...with HER father's picture on one side, and the group picture of HIS family on the other."
These are only a couple I scooped out from a quick skim read just now. I mean, hooray for equality and all, but if you're going to edit a book, do it properly. Besides, this was written in the 1960s! That was how things were!
There are other, unnecessary alterations, such as changing the original, firm "Don't try to be a career girl. He'll never stand for it. HE'S your career," to a more noncommittal "He'd prefer you not be a career girl. He'd prefer it if HE took all your time and attention."
As a summary, the original book by Linda Goodman is a five star masterpiece complete with detailed description, interesting insights and plenty of humour. But I would appreciate this masterpiece on Kindle, not a butchered up version.
on May 17, 2004
Format: Mass Market Paperback
There is a reason this book is still in print over 30 years after it's original publication: it is simply the BEST astrology book ever written. It is easy to use, with no confusing and overwhelming diagrams to figure out. Linda knew her stuff, and it shows. I agree with the reviewer that the horoscopes in the newspaper are bogus, but Linda was a professional and a great author.
on October 10, 2002
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I have purchased several copies of this book over the past few years, but every time I loan it to someone because I want them to read a certain part, amazingly they never return it. Then I have to buy another copy!
Linda Goodman has an amazing talent for explaining astrology in a humorous way in which we can all relate and understand. I refer to this book a lot when I'm trying to "figure someone out". I personally have a library of Astrology books, but this is the one I most often refer to, followed in a close second by Linda Goodman's "Love Signs", and a puple book entitled "The only astrology book you'll ever need".
For anyone who is interested in astrology, even if they don't know a lot about it, this is a good book to start with!
on December 6, 2002
Format: Mass Market PaperbackVerified Purchase
A thorough knowledge of the sun signs is an essential step to understand astrology. Linda Goodman has done an outstanding job describing them in their purest forms.

Goodman's examples reflect men's and women's roles as they were in 1968, when the book was written. Given how much the climate has changed in regards to gender roles, it's understandable that some people might find her examples offensive. Perhaps a more constructive view is to think of it as a history lesson on how men and women were expected to behave, even as late as 1968. (I mean, don't we all think of the '60s as a time of free love and sexual liberation? HA HA!! No way. There were still *strongly* defined roles for men and women then, much more strongly defined than they are now.)

The wonderful thing about understanding the sun signs is that you can apply that knowledge in so many ways. I'm having a lot of fun "people watching," trying to figure out what a person's sign is based on their behavior. A knowledge of the sun signs can also be used to help understand the planets that rule the signs, and also to the houses.

Well worth the money even if you are not an astrology student and just want to figure out your spouse or kids!
on October 4, 2005
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This book is very enlightening for people who are just becoming interested in their astrological side of life. I first read this book about 2o years ago and purchased it again to re-read and to use for reference purposes. It gives me a new way of looking at people and what they do, how they act, etc.

A good read for everyone.
on August 26, 2003
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Linda Goodman, although held somewhat to the side by professional astrologers, nevertheless has written a book that has done more to popularize an understanding of astrology than almost any other volume of its kind. Linda Goodman's descriptions are accurate because, Dear Reader, there is a great deal of accuracy to astrology. Goodman isn't the deepest person in the world or the greatest astrologer, but she sure knows how to reach out and grab a person. If you want to understand your boss, or better yet, create the perfect boss -- click "BUY" and get this book over to your house right away!! This book is also an essential to every astrologer's library. Read the whole thing all the way through at least once.