5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Concert Comes to DVD!!
Linda Ronstadt's amazing tribute to the music of her father finally comes to DVD. Not only is the show visually dazzling; but her voice couldn't be more beautiful. And the dancing and the sets and Danny Valdez!!! I saw the tour live years ago and am very impressed how well the show has been captured on film. You have never seen a show like this before!

In...
Published on December 7, 2004 by MATCFAMILY

3.0 out of 5 stars for my mom
My mom wanted this for christmas, it's not as good as the other LR cd I got her. I was looking for this in cd form but they didn't have it, so she got the dvd....
Published 3 months ago by rcwmmm

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Concert Comes to DVD!!, December 7, 2004
MATCFAMILY (Springfield, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linda Ronstadt - Canciones de Mi Padre: A Romantic Evening in Old Mexico (DVD)

In reading reviews about Linda Ronstadt's work I am always surprised when people try to lock her into one era or style. Nowadays when its said a recording artist has reinvented themself.. it usually means they have colored their hair or changed their clothing.

With Linda Ronstadt you hear not only her talent but her attention to style and detail. Her phrasing and delivery are so authentic you would think she was from another time or place. What an intelligent and fascinating musical career this woman has had (and has)!!! Her talent and continuous commitment to craft inspires and humbles the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanted evening of songs, dance, and wonderful music!, January 26, 2003
If your passion is traditional folk Mexican music filled with an array of wonderful talented dancers swirling with sparkling colorful costumes, then sit back to enjoy a spectacular performance by Linda Ronstadt and company.

This is superb with a first-rate ensemble in front of impressive decorative changing sets and includes entertainer Danny Valdez, Mexico's premier marchiachis, Marchiachi Vargas De Tecalitlan, Gilberto Puente and the fabulous Ballet Folklorico de La Fonda. Linda also gets help from several family members to pull this off.

Filmed live in Los Angeles in 1992?, this spectacular evening features a mixture of love ballads, rancheras, and a most enjoying segment that features ballads from the revolutionary period "El Cascabel", "La Rielera", "El Adios Del Soldado".

"Dos Arbolitos", a beautiful ballad about two trees that grew on the ranch and are symbolic of companionship and everlasting love. While Linda sings, a man and woman slowly dance with such embracing emotion. "Los Laureles" features the jubilant dancers sashaying in their fine costumes. And two of my favorite ballads have to be "Ballad of Cananea", a song from the revolutionary war and the drinking song "Y Andale." Linda duets with her cousin.

Linda not only can sing well, she performs in some musical dancing numbers that include the popular hat dance, "El Jarabe Tapatio". I was fortunate to see this performance live in Denver, CO and the treat was to have it in videotape. The tape is 70 minutes.

Other songs "Por Un Amor", "La Cigarra", "La Barca de Guaymas", "Amorcito Corazon", "El Gusto", "El Caballito", "El Sol Que Tu Eres", "El Crucifijo de Piedra", La Charreada", Cancion Mixteca", "Volver, Volver".

For another spectacular night of music and dance, I recommend; Juntos Otra Vez with Juan Gabriel and Rocio Durcal

Enjoy it!...Rizzo

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful presentation of a rich Mexican musical heritage, March 8, 1999
This presentation was done in a manner so as to educate the viewer as well as bring tears of joy to older people who lived in that musical tradition in Mexico. The vibrant color used in the costumes were as beautiful as they were accurate. Senora Linda does a very admirable job with each number she performs, the supporting cast of musicians and dancers are superb. After many years of enjoying Linda's pop/rock music it is wonderful to have her come back to her roots and culture, bringing others with her to share in the discoveries of such a rich culture showing all the passion, emotion, and respect that are contained in, "Las Canciones de mi Padre." For my father too was a musician in old Mexico in the 1920's. Muy Bien Hecho, Senora Linda.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Have To Be Mexican To Love Linda In Spanish!, January 30, 2003
Stephen A. Settle (San Diego, CA. United States) - See all my reviews
Canciones de mi Padre ("Songs of my Father") was a tribute to her father Gilbert, but a celebration of the beauty and culture that is Mexico, as well as to it's superb music. For me, it was also a tribute to my own father. My family surprised my father several years ago by taking him to see the concert. There are no words to describe the feeling we had, watching our father with tears in his eyes, listening to the music he grew up with, and brought us up with, sung by one of the most gifted Singers (celebrating her own roots) in the world, accompanied by the greatest Mariachi Band in the world. Although we were not brought up speaking Spanish, the music and the culture transcended all language barriers. This video is all the best of the Live Concert, and even if you were never lucky enough to see Linda perform this show live, it's the next best thing! The dancing is incredible, the costumes and scenery, first rate. The music is so incredibly moving, even if you do not understand the language, you might be surprised to find yourself shedding a tear or two. Viva la Musica, La Musica Siempre!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're not Mexican, you'll wish to be one after watching, June 9, 1999
By A Customer
As a true mexican, I take my hat off for senora Linda. Cant't wait for the DVD version of this masterpiece of ranchera music to be available. I want to experience the mariachi's heart-pounding/tear-jerking chords in digital surround, and most of all, Linda's beatiful voice.
This is a MUST for all Mexicans, and a MUST for all the persons who love and enjoy our music as well. Keep up the good work Linda, we'll be waiting patiently for your next Mexican music project. I love all your work, but because of my heritage this one along with the albums "Mas Canciones" and "Frenesi" really made my blood reach the boiling point.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEAK SPANISH TO ENJOY THIS VIDEO!, September 11, 2000
bob (kansas city, missouri USA) - See all my reviews
I SPEAK VERY LIMITED SPANISH AND YET FOUND IT REALLY NOT NECESSARY IN THIS MUSIC VIDEO.IT IS A VERY WELL PRODUCED AND DIRECTED SHOW OF TRADITIONAL MEXICAN MUSIC AND DANCING.LINDA RONSTADT WAS THE STAR BUT SHE NEVER HOGGED THE SPOTLIGHT AND YOU GOT TO SEE A LOT OF GREAT PERFORMANCES FROM EVERYONE,INCLUDING THE MARIACHI BAND AND THE DANCERS AND OTHER SINGERS.LINDA DID BRING ALOT TO THIS SHOW AND PROBABLY WITH A BIG NAME LIKE HER'S WAS ABLE TO ENCOURAGE ALOT OF BACKING FOR THIS SHOW BOTH FINANCIALLY AND SPIRITUALLY THAT IT MIGHT NOT HAVE OTHERWISE GOTTEN.IT IS A WONDERFUL COLLECTION OF TRADITIONAL MEXICAN MUSIC AND DANCES THAT LINDA WAS BROUGHT UP LISTENING TO AROUND HER HOME AS A YOUTH AND SHE GOT THIS SHOW TOGETHER TO HONOR HER MEXICAN ROOTS AND DID A VERY FINE JOB OF THAT.IF YOU DON'T SPEAK SPANISH(OR VERY LITTLE) DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT-NEITHER DOES LINDA AND SHE GIVES QUITE ABIT OF COMMENTARY THROUGHTOUT THE PERFORMANCE TO KIND OF GUIDE YOU THROUGH AND GIVE YOU SOME BACKGROUND TO THE MUSIC AND DANCES. THERE ARE ALSO SCREEN PROMPTS DURING SOME OF THE SONGS GIVING YOU ENGLISH VERSIONS TO HELP YOU ALITTLE.ALL IN ALL A VERY ENJOYABLE VIDEO. IF YOU LIKE LINDA RONSTADT AND ARE AT ALL INTERESTED IN TRADITIONAL MEXICAN MUSIC AND DANCES I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS VIDEO.I HOPE THEY MANAGE TO GET THIS OUT IN DVD VERSION SOMEDAY. WITH ALL THE BEAUTIFUL COSTUMES AND MUSIC I BELIEVE IT WOULD GREAT IN THAT FORMAT.
UPDATED 11-05-06
THIS WONDERFUL SHOW IS ACTUALLY NOW AVAILIABLE ON DVD, I DON'T KNOW HOW I MISSED THIS,I JUST HADN'T BEEN BACK TO AMAZON FOR AWHILE AND CHECKED OT IT TO SEE IF THEY RELEASED IT YET IN DVD FORMAT. I IMMEDIATELY ORDERED IT ON DVD WHEN I FOUND THIS OUT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cancioneses de MI Padre, August 15, 2006
phoenix (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I was trying to replace my VHS copy of this concert and I was delighted to be able to enjoy this spectacular show based on the series of Mexican albums that Linda recorded.It proves that she was very much underrated as a singer as she demonstrates her affinity with the music of her forefathers. No gimmicks, no double tracking, no lip synching just singing those beautiful melodies with the assistance of Rueben Fuentes and his musicians.Highly recommended.Any chance of her "Lush Life" concert with Nelson Riddle and the orchestra getting the same treatment?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Mexican mucic I ever seen (heared), January 16, 1999
By A Customer
Colorfull and beautyfull,and something what I realy love. I have no words to express my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent video "A-1", June 9, 1999
By A Customer
The video is excellent, the music, singers and Linda Ronstandt are super. The colorful costumes and scenery are great. The video expresses the true Mexican culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second-hand review, April 19, 2010
Disclaimer: I have not seen this DVD.

However . . . my father just got through phoning me and he was breathless about this DVD that I sent him.

He gushed about the main Mariachi group featured and the staging and singing. This from a man in his 80s who knows mariachi and Spanish-language songs.
Now I am intrigued and have to order it for me.

Linda R needs no praise from me. Her artistry speaks for herself. I think she is amazing.

ARRAY(0x9d4fdd50)