Line port on Obi110 Folks, can someone please explain to me the "gateway" functionality of the 110?

AFAIUnderstand, I can connect my landline cable to the Obi110 to route incoming calls to VoIP, or what?

thanks!
asked by Chris on December 21, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
Obihai have two telephone adapters, currently - The OBi100 and the OBi110. The two products function the same except for one feature. The OBi110 has a physical port for an analog line service. This port, labeled LINE on the OBi110, can be thought of as a gateway to a traditional phone service. The service can be from a land line carrier like AT&T or Verizon. It can also be from a VoIP service like Comcast or Vonage, when the phone port of the Comcast or Vonage phone line is plugged into the LINE port of the OBi110. This gateway functionality is useful for a number of reasons...

OBi110 LINE Port:
- Allows you to keep your current land line service yet take advantage of the OBi device's VoIP services.
- Provides for an emergency calling services route when connected to a service supporting the same.
- Acts as a gateway and bridge to the PSTN for calls originating on a VoIP service from a remote OBi device or soft phone.

For people who do not have a land line, the OBi100 is the perfect choice. It is smaller than the OBi110, yet features identical VoIP calling functionality.

The OBi110 & OBi100 Both Have:
- One Phone Port: For connection to an analog cordless or corded phone.
- One Ethernet Port: For connection to an Internet router.
- Support for up to 2 Commercial VoIP services
- Support for SIP
- Support for Google Voice
- Support for OBiTALK
- Message Waiting Indication - Visual and Tone Based
- Speed Dialing of 99 OBi Endpoints or Numbers
- Three Way Conference Calling with Local Mixing
- Hook Flash Event Signaling
- Caller ID - Name & Number
- Call Waiting
- Call Forward - Unconditional
- Call Forward on Busy
- Call Forward on No Answer
- Call Transfer
- Anonymous Call
- Block Anonymous Call
- Do Not Disturb
- Call Return
- Repeat Dialing
- OBiTALK Managed VoIP Network for OBi Endpoint Devices & Applications
- High Quality Voice Encoding Using G.711, G.726, G.729 Algorithms

http://blog.obihai.com/2011/09/obi110-or-obi100-what-is-difference.html
Sherman Scholten answered on December 25, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
CuriousAmazon wrote:

"I still don't understand what the above means.
Suppose the line port is connected to Verizon, and my regular phone is connected to the OB device, and I have set up the OB to use Google Voice.
- when I dial 911, does it automatically go to Verizon?
- when I make regular call, how do I control if it goes through Verizon or Google Voice?"

===================================

My reply:

You will need to dial **8 first then the number you want to make the call through Verizon. For example, I would dial **82819991111 to make a call to 281-999-1111 through Verizon. The prefix **8 tells the OBi110 that we want to make the call via the service connected to the line port. For 911, by default when you dial 911, the call will be routed to the Line Port.
SB Leo answered on August 25, 2012
Comment | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
- Provides for an emergency calling services route when connected to a service supporting the same.
- Acts as a gateway and bridge to the PSTN for calls originating on a VoIP service from a remote OBi device or soft phone.

I still don't understand what the above means.
Suppose the line port is connected to Verizon, and my regular phone is connected to the OB device, and I have set up the OB to use Google Voice.
- when I dial 911, does it automatically go to Verizon?
- when I make regular call, how do I control if it goes through Verizon or Google Voice?
Can someone explain more on the "bridge to the PSTN"?
CuriousAmazon answered on April 14, 2012
Comment | 6 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You can connect your land-line service (I even tried connecting the MagicJack Plus) to the line port on the 110 to receive and make calls via the same phone connected to the phone port on the OBi110. Just remember to dial **8 then the phone number you want to call to make the phone call through the phone service that's connected to this line port.

Pro: I could use only 1 phone for the 2 Google Voice accounts and the MagicJack Plus that I set up on/connected to the OBi110.

Con's: (1) I needed to dial **2 for the 2nd GV account or **8 for the MJ+ then the phone number I wanted to call out. (2) There was a few-second delay for the phone connected to the line port to ring on the incoming calls because the OBi110 needs to get the CallerID info during that time interval.
SB Leo answered on August 25, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I thought this was a fail over connection. If the VOIP service your are using fails or your internet connection goes down, you still have the analog line to make and receive phone calls. You would probably want to connect this to an uninterruptible power supply so if power goes out, you still have access through the OBI110 to the analog POTS line.

If you were out of the country, you could use it to make local telephone calls over the analog POTS line. IN the foreign country, you would use the VOIP line to get to the OBI1110 in the US, for example. Then dial out therefrom using the analog line.

Lastly, 911 calls would then be made locally.
Lie2me answered on November 6, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Can I route a call from landline to google voice?
Benquan Yu answered on March 4, 2013
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
i'd like to know the answer to the above as well...
Boris Capitanu answered on August 10, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›