Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Customer Discussions > The Lovely Bones forum

Line up with scripture?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2007 5:16:37 PM PST
Does this book line up with scripture when it comes to heaven and hell and salvation in Christ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2008 3:25:04 PM PDT
Suraya K. says:
No.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 6:36:19 PM PDT
It's not about religion. It's about the grieving process and the afterlife seems to be more of a metaphor for the aftermath of tragedy than anything spiritual.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 8:39:17 AM PST
Agreed. I knew I'd find some religious nut on here bringing this up, and sadly I was right. I wonder if this person would be happier had she been Jewish (or some other "wrong" religion) and then been tortured in hell AFTER she'd been murdered. I don't know why people have to impose their religious nonsense on works of fiction.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 5:55:15 AM PST
M. Knoll says:
In response to Chris Black, no one was imposing their "religious nonsense" on here, the poster was just asking a simple question. I think you need to calm down a little...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 12:21:24 PM PST
What are you talking about? You are being really sensitive about a simple question. The original poster didn't try to impose their beliefs on you. Give it a rest.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2010 5:47:47 AM PST
Diane Lewis says:
What an excellent question, Robert. The answer is "No, not at all." Scripture tells us that for believers to be absent from the body is to be present with the LORD. It is appointed unto man once to die and after that the judgment. Hebrews 9:27 In Romans 8: 35-39, we read: "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? ..... No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

All that being said, this story is fiction. If you read it as such, it's more about evil in this world: Susie's rape and murder and that of the other girls, the incredible suffering and anguish caused by that evil: for her family and undoubtedly the families of all murder victims, the loss of good things this life has to offer, etc.
I just saw the movie last night: it was hauntingly sad and thought provoking and raised more questions than it answered ~ confusing in parts. I was touched by it though, and want to read the book and see if it answers some questions about the fictional story.
For the true story of death and heaven, there are some excellent books, such as The Wonder of Heaven: A Biblical Tour of Our Eternal Home, and One Minute After You Die by Erwin Lutzer.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2010 12:00:01 PM PST
Gwen says:
Forget about religion, this book doesn't even l line up with death. You don't hang around spying on people after you die, you don't even care about your own body, much less anyone else's living body. And, if you don't have a religion, you had better get one, you may not have enough time to when death hits you. Take it from someone who has been there and back, twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 9:14:51 AM PST
Who cares? What does primitive Middle eastern superstition have to do with anything? Here's where you'll learn about life:
http://www.larrythepenguin.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 1:49:57 PM PST
And don't you think you have just imposed your lack of religion on others?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 10:11:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2010 10:13:50 PM PDT
J. Navarro says:
it was a simple question. Way to flip out.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 2:13:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 2:14:38 AM PDT
Michelle says:
Nothing about this book is of religion.
nothing
Nothing
Nothing
Nothing!

It's a murder mystery. Where does religion play in with cold blooded rape/ murder? NOTHING. It's just murder.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Lovely Bones forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (Audio CD)
3.9 out of 5 stars (4,518)