5.0 out of 5 stars The best for self-study
Published on June 18, 2012 by Ramon Barbosa Rosa

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it despite some good points.
Pros: I don't know about the actual Kindle, but I can read the eBook version my PC pretty well, and, unlike some of my other eBooks for college, this one has accurate paging instead of that crazy "Location 15,789 of 75,000" confusion.

In many cases, the definitions and theorem are alright.

Cons: There were alot of cases where something seemed to be...
Published on March 25, 2012 by Missionary

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for self-study, June 18, 2012
This review is from: Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 4th Edition (Hardcover)
Linear Algebra is not an easy topic, in especially because many concepts are not intuitive. So I struggled a lot to master some abstract concepts like Linear Transformation, Vector Space and Subspaces. As far I'm concerned, David Lay's book is the only one that explains these concepts with clear and didactic figures. For example, I was able to understand what really a Kernel was and a Range only after had reading the text and figure 2 at page 204 of the fourth edition. In my opinion is the best book for self-study to undergraduate and first-year graduate students.Linear Algebra and Its Applications (4th Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Introduction, January 8, 2013
G.X. Larson (Southeastern Michigan) - See all my reviews
In my opinion the reviews on this site do not reflect the true rating of this book. I can't compare this book to other linear algebra textbooks but I can say that I am glad that the linear algebra course that I took had this as the assigned book. Theorems, definitions, and other key points are expressed clearly and even vividly (all theorems and definitions are enclosed in a colored box so that the reader can easily find them). The pictures/graphics are also an excellent feature to Lay's book, and I know that I benefited from being able to visualize certain concepts. Here is a reproduction of the table of contents (since amazon doesn't have a "look inside" for this book; a more detailed table of contents can be found at the publisher's website):

1. Linear Equations in Linear Algebra
2. Matrix Algebra
3. Determinants
4. Vector Spaces
5. Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors
6. Orthogonality and Least Squares
7. Symmetric Matrices and Quadratic Forms
8. The Geometry of Vector Spaces

Chapter 8 is a new addition, and was not included in the 3rd edition (we didn't cover it in my class, but I remember seeing stuff like Bezier curves in that chapter). Speaking as a student, I liked how this textbook started off slow and gradually built up towards more complex topics. That's not to say that the initial chapters are fluff; they were covered in a rigorous manner which allows the student to build on each new logical concept from the previous ones. I also liked the many applied examples that Lay included: even if you never use linear algebra again (but chances are that you will, if you're taking linear algebra in the first place) you will appreciate applications such as Markov chains and linear regression. I also appreciated the proofs that Lay included (almost all of the theorems are proved), as well as the proof problems included at the end of each section. Linear algebra is unlike any other math class if you have only ever done the standard calculus sequence. But with Lay's book this shouldn't be a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Text, January 24, 2014
I used it for a lin alg class, however I could have easily used it for self study. It has quite a few multiple choice questions after each section, that forces you to think about the more abstract concepts rather than doing straight computation. It highlights a lot of key points in charts which is great for review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but better than many books., July 2, 2012
Mike S. (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I have not compared this against other Linear Algebra texts. I used if for my class, so I can only compare it against the other math books I have used. While I don't think it is possible for a straight up textbook to be as readable as a supplement or as easy to follow as a good lecture, this one was not bad either. It does not spoon feed you the information, but it explains the concepts well enough and gives enough examples where after reading through it and going to lecture (depending of course on how good a lecturer your teacher is) you can get through most of the problems without that much difficulty. It does have a lot of problems in the problem set where it calls for you to do a proof. Those are definitely the hardest questions, but for the computations, and the things that are most likely to be on an exam, that material is easy to follow.

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it despite some good points., March 25, 2012
Missionary (Rhode Island, USA) - See all my reviews

In many cases, the definitions and theorem are alright.

Cons: There were alot of cases where something seemed to be straight forward for me, but then other cases, would totally not be. I got the feeling that the guy intended to look more mathematical than he needed compromising his ability to make a clear point. One thing I found really annoying was that the answers in the back to the odd problems were often either ambiguous or nonexistent. He never even gives the true or false answers. That would be okay, if the answers were somewhat clearly found in the text. I found myself going to Khan Academy and saving huge amounts of time, while largely annoying ignoring the text. I understood the topics much more after that. (My grades reflected this.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pick a better option, February 9, 2012
The book isn't too bad, but two weeks into class and we find out that some of the answers in the back of the book are incorrect. How do print a textbook and not find these errors? Chapter 1:Section 1? Really? The author should be able to do this in his sleep and find these mistakes? They should at least make note of this to those who pay over $100 for this book and are struggling in the first section, not by their lack of effort or understanding, but trying to get a correct answer. If you can't figure out Chapter 1, then you have been set up for failure. Don't get me wrong, I think the book is decent, but I feel that this is an issue that is very important and needs to be dealt with, if it hasn't already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Text, December 29, 2013
This book was immensely helpful this semester. it is easy to follow and the example problems are very indicative of the homework problems that follow. The definitions in the text are straight forward, and most topics are very understandable. I taught my self some sections before I went over them in class, and it was easy because it so well written and concise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent book, October 24, 2011
Half-way through the semester and this seems to be a decent book.
You will definitely want to get the study guide too ISBN 0321388836.
The study guide has more "plain English." I asked a professor/friend why they didn't just put that in the book, and he said the regular book is expected to be written in a somewhat academic tone of voice. I guess math professors like that.
Linear algebra isn't too bad, the hardest part is grasping some of the abstract concepts and translating them into something I understand. For this my professor friend and the tutoring center help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Undergraduate Level Linear Algeba, February 7, 2014
I am a graduate student in applied mathematics. Last semester I took a numerical methods class. As I was struggling with the material, I asked my professor for help. He lent me this book. After reading several chapters, I found myself significantly more comfortable with linear algebra and much better equipped for my grad numerical course. I wish I used Lay's book in my undergrad studies. Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome (No kidding), July 7, 2013
This book is really excellent for beginners in linear algebra. This book is very clear on all of its topics with practice problems and examples.
**If one really takes the time to read the chapters from this book then linear algebra will be so much interesting and fun.**
I personally enjoyed it. And I did good in my Linear Algebra class.

Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 4th Edition
Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 4th Edition by David C. Lay (Hardcover - January 20, 2011)
$183.33 $141.16