5.0 out of 5 stars Foam Toppers, a blind item
Published on August 21, 2012 by Adam Rubinstein

2.0 out of 5 stars 5-Star comfort, Excellent density, but high VOCs (stinky) foam
This is 5-star memory foam topper in terms of functionality, but I have to agree that although the odor is not that bad right out of the package, there is a hefty amount of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) in the foam that needs to be heavily ventilated before it dissipates. I let the foam decompress for 8 hours before our first night on it. It reached full form in...
Published on August 8, 2012 by Joel Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars Foam Toppers, a blind item, August 21, 2012
Knowing what type of foam topper to purchase is difficult. With few industry standards, sparse regulations, and the wide array of offerings on the market, how does one select a particular memory foam topper? There are several ways to describe the various memory foams; thickness and density are but two measures. Yet many intangibles are important considerations including cut, shape, finish, etc. Paying a high price does not necessarily guarantee a good product, but generally higher quality foam costs more. So, how do these attributes apply to the LinenSpa Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper with the removable Bamboo Cover?

First, the LinenSpa offering is 2.5", 3lb density foam. As such it is a reasonable compromise between thickness and support. Importantly, the foam addresses some of the concerns associated with memory foams, namely heat retention. The LinenSpa foam is a more modern offering incorporating gel infusion to conduct heat away from the body (rather than insulate) as well as ventilation cutouts.

The foam arrived safely and it was well protected in a double box. It was encased in a sealed plastic and was easily removed from the protective wrapping. A prominent note describing removal instructions was especially appreciated. After removing the mattress from the plastic, we were immediately impressed by the overall quality of the Bamboo cover. It was apparent that the cover was expertly fashioned, had an excellent finish, and shipping it with the topper already inside was a nice touch (no struggling, stuffing, or manipulating the topper into a cover was required). Additionally, the cover has two sides; one that is textured to help grip the mattress and prevent movement, and the other softer side which faces the user. The topper had a faint smell that wasn't too offensive and it rapidly dissipated. While the instructions suggested that the topper required a full 48 hours before it expanded completely, we found it reached its full shape within minutes to hours.

With respect to comfort, we found the topper of better quality than those we have purchased from Costco or other retailers. Additionally, the efforts to create a cooler, more comfortable product seem to have succeeded and we certainly noticed a significant difference as compared to other toppers. To date, the topper has retained its shape, has not developed any permanent divots or depressed areas. And the textured cover has proved effective in preventing unnecessary movement or sliding.

Overall, we have been very satisfied with this topper and feel that it offers an excellent compromise between construction, comfort, performance, and price. It certainly is a bit more expensive than some of the lower priced products on Amazon, but its construction, cover, gel infusion/ventilation holes are worth every penny. In our analysis, the LineSpa product is very price competitive and at less than 1/2 the price of some more expensive toppers it represents a good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop reading reviews and buy this one.., August 20, 2012
If you are reading this review you are considering buying a mattress topper. I did the same thing. I read so many reviews of so many different brands and styles. I have a good bed that's only a year old but I find it's too hard, so I almost went out and bought a new one, a pillowtop. Then someone mentioned a mattress topper. Had no idea what they were. As I read reviews I figured this would be a cheaper solution to my "too hard" bed. I read so many reviews I found myself even more confused as what I should buy. I ended up with this one and could not be happier. I read reviews where people were complaining about the horrible odor. Yes there is a slight smell/odor to it when you take it out of the package, but it goes away. Do as the instructions tell you which is let it air out for a couple of days and it'll be gone. I let mine air out for 24 hours and 99% of was gone. I did smell a little the first night I slept on it but it was so slight. I should have let it air out for two days like instructed. But 100% of the odor is gone within 48 hours. I am so happy with how I sleep now that I have it. So many reviews talk about how hot they are which is why I went with this one which has the gel in it. I've slept on it about 5 nights and I don't feel anything other than extreme comfort. Put it on the bed, put your mattress pad over it and you're done. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give this a 10.. It does what it's designed to do, make your bed softer and more comfortable. There is nothing about this purchase that I wish was different. I'm glad I bought it. You'll read other reviews about this one and people will have all sorts of complaints and praise. You will make yourself crazy reading review after review about mattress toppers. There is no need to spend alot of money on one. The ones I was considering were $150 to $250 (they go much higher). This one was $115.99 for a queen. You'll read this review then move on to many more and you'll eventually decide on one. Do not worry about the odor complaints for this one. It goes away in a couple of days. Buy this one, you won't regret it. . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello comfort!, September 5, 2012
This review is from: 2.5" Lucid® by LinenSpa Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Removable Bamboo Cover 3-Year Warranty,size king,white
I LOVE this topper! I own a $5000 all Latex name brand mattress going on 5 years. (20 yr warranty) I originally bought it instead of a well known memory foam mattress because of heat problems w that mattress especially in a hot climate. It was heaven for about a year, then downhill since. Cant use warranty due to the milk and cookies spill from a midnight snack. . .my bad. FYI . .Stained mattresses become toxic waste and warranties no longer apply! Also body depression over 1" and HOT! So. . . By accident I discovered that my mattress must be source of sweating and aching back. I began the search for something to resolve issue, short of purchasing new mattress. I read review for several "cool gel" mattresses and price shopped before buying this one. I skeptically awaited. It arrived promptly, we unrolled and laid out for 48 hrs as directed. Smell was never an issue because I didnt think it was bad to begin with and it was totally gone after 48 hrs. King size is heavy and it took 2 people to put on the Bamboo cover and place on bed.After first night's sleep I was totally in shock! NO BACK ACHE AND NO SWEATING! 1 month later I am still loving it and getting good night's sleep!I have been praising to everyone! Video review helped and is spot on! If you don't like it, then ypur only solution is a new mattress. . .IMHO.

5.0 out of 5 stars After several months of use, September 30, 2012
A. Bonner "AaronB" (SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I deliberately waited to write this review for a number of months after we received our Topper. I think it's best to wait some time so that if there are any changes the review can include them. First off I have to tell you that we didn't experience any bad smells of any kind. I know a number of people here have noted that it was a problem. Perhaps it's something that the company has solved. In fact, I bought an air freshener for the room prior to unrolling just in case it was going to be a problem. We had to remove the freshener. The freshener it self was way too strong. It was like trying to sleep inside a pineapple.

There's only one word I can use to describe this topper and it's: luxurious. It's just the right thickness and cushy.

Our bed was way too hard. It felt like sleeping on a box spring with no mattress. This took care of it. Before you buy a new mattress please give this a try. If it's not for you it can be returned.

There is one thing I'd like to add however. When you first unwrap it you do need to give it a hour or two or more for it to completely spring to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, July 18, 2013
Gary (Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
I bought this topper as an experiment to use with an Aerobed mattress in a summer vacation home - just something to make the bed a little more comfortable. What a surprise - the end result is a bed that is at least as comfortable as my Select Comfort 7000 bed in my main home - a bed that cost over $3500. I am both delighted and amazed at how well this topper works with an inexpensive bed.

A few comments that might help you decide whether or not this is the right topper for you:

1. Some reviewers have said that the gel foam is almost too cool. That is not my experience. I find the foam to be warm. Not uncomfortably so, the way most foam toppers or mattresses are, but it is warm to sleep on.

2. The topper is simultaneously firm/supportive, and soft. You will not "bottom out" even though it is only 2 1/2 inches thick. But the foam is soft enough that you do feel "craddled" by the foam after a couple minutes in one position. It is a great combination of support and comfort.

3. The instructions with the topper say to let the topper expand for 48 hours before using it. In three hours, my topper had expanded to 2 3/8 inches, and within 24 hours it was a full 2 1/2 inches thick.

4. The odor issue. All foam toppers and mattresses emit VOC's that smell at first. This one is no different. When you first remove the topper from the shipping plastic, the smell is almost overwhelming. What I did was to remove the bamboo cover immediately, and let the topper air out on a weather-protected patio for 24 hours while it expanded, Meanwhile I washed the cover to get the smell out of it. Within a day, the topper was largely free of odor. Not completely, though. My experience with other toppers and foam mattresses has been that it takes anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks for the VOC odor to completely dissipate.

5. The bamboo cover is wonderful. The backside is rubberized so the topper will not shift or creep on the mattress. But, when you remove it to wash it, plan on a challenging half hour or so to get the cover back on the topper. The cover's zipper only runs along one side, rather than on three sides which would make it much easier to install. I have a queen size topper and it was hard to get the cover back on. A king size topper would be a serious challenge!

In summary, I am totally pleased with this purchase. It meets and surpasses every expectation I had. It is the best topper I have ever bought, and I have tried a lot of them. And as I said, it works with a cheap mattress to make it feel as comfortable as a $3500 Sleep Number bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes our hot memory-foam mattress cooler and more comfortable, May 21, 2013
My wife and I purchased a Serta Memory Foam mattress last winter. We liked how it was soft and conformed to our bodies and it was priced pretty reasonably. The salesman tentatively warned us that memory foam mattresses have a tendency to be hot to sleep in when summer comes, but it was winter, so we didn’t think twice about it. Then, summer came, and we spent every night boiling alive in our bed. We could barely fall asleep, and when we did, we would wake up sweating and unrefreshed. Our new bed had become a nightmare. We desperately began seeking ways to cool it down without starting from scratch and buying a different mattress.

Enter the Lucid by LinenSpa mattress topper. We researched many mattress toppers on Amazon, but this one had the best reviews in addition to being advertised as well-ventilated. I don’t recall if we saw much about how cooling the topper was, but in case you want to know, it’s noticeably cooler than sleeping on a memory foam mattress. It’s a bit firmer too, but not too much. Ever since we put in on, I’ve been able to sleep great every night without waking up sweating. So if that’s been a particular complaint about your memory foam mattress, I would definitely recommend this mattress topper to salvage your purchase.

And finally, a few random tidbits. I was a bit confused about what the “Removable Bamboo Topper” was, and whether or not it should be removed. Looking back at the picture, it’s obvious now. It’s really just a fine fabric bag that encloses the mattress topper, and you probably shouldn’t take it off, as it provides a nice encasement for the memory foam. Also, I found the setup process to be really easy. The mattress topper comes vacuum wrapped and compressed, you just have to cut it out of the bag and lay it on the floor for 48 hours and let it expand. I did it in our living room with the patio door open for ventilation and never noticed any odd smells. We gave it the full 48 hours and I haven’t noticed any smell sleeping on it.

So, in summary, the main reason we bought this topper is to have a cooler surface to sleep on than our memory foam mattress. It is comfortable, cool, and has been a great success. I’d recommend it to anyone with that specific problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price. Quality topper, January 18, 2013
After careful research I came across this topper. It did have an initial odor, and took a few days to lay flat, but both of these were non issues after allowing this mattress to lay flat and air out for a few days. Some people seemed to not follow these simple directions, and expected what they expected. Read the directions people before you pan an item!!!!

Anyway, after 1 month of use there is absolutely no hint of odor... never was after a few days, and the topper is very uniform...flat. I didn't even have to buy a new fitted sheet. Actually this made my current fitted sheet fit even better. It is a pleasure to sleep on my bed again. This thing saved me from looking into buying a new mattress which we all know means buying a box spring as well. I have not noticed any puck marks that do not return...I am 6'4" and weigh 240 lbs. My girlfriend loves it as well and she is a diminutive 5'5"and weighs 135lbs.

There are many toppers out there, but I don't think you can beat this one for the price. ($120 for queen shipped) This is an honest review in hopes that it will help other people make an informed decision. Reviews are important in this way, and I wish more people would take the time to write HONEST reviews. It is also my hope that reviews will encourage manufactures to build better products. We all know how much absolute junk is being produced in todays world. This topper does not fit that category.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this mattress! Sleepful Bliss....finally!!!, April 10, 2013
I have been looking for a good memory foam mattress to go on top of my 8 year old pillow top mattress. I live with back pain and neck pain since 2000. I have a pump that stores medication and delivers it to my spinal column 24/7. A mattress, the right mattress, is extremely important to me. I read tons of reviews and compared lots of mattresses. I received this one in brand new packaging, opened it and laid it in my living room to air out and puff up for 48 hours as recommended. It did not smell bad at all. It had a new smell. We then placed it on our bed. We both have had wonderful and deep sleep! I'm not waking up with back pain and I am refreshed in the morning! My husband sleeps way deeper than he has in years! He is not complaining of back pain at all either. It is SO comfortable! Also, I am hot all the time and would sweat at night on my regular mattress. I noticed on the last few nights of sleeping on top of this mattress, that I have not been sweaty or hot at all! I HIGHLY recommend this mattress and from this seller also. I don't write many reviews, but people looking for the right memory foam topper must know about this one! Excellent quality, no strong odor, and a wonderful blessing to sleep on! You will not regret spending the money on this! Sweet dreams!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy!, August 19, 2013
I've had my Lucid foam mattress topper for over 6 months , and it an excellent buy. I heard all the reviews on the bad smell, so when I received it, I opened it up and let it sit for 3 days to air out. I also sprayed it with febreeze and it seemed to do the job. There was a faint smell after that, but the febreeze also helped a lot. After a week, the smell was completely gone. The foam topper gives added support and the cover it comes in, allows me to wash it regularly, like my sheets. It seems to be going strong, but I do reccomend rotating it every 3-4 months like you would a regular mattress. This way it doesn't get worn out from one spot on the bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sleep returns, August 27, 2013
The cooling gel beads in the Lucid mattress topper really work! We have had a memory foam mattress for a while and love it, but have to admit that it retains body heat. It's hot. Even with a different mattress cover, it's hot. I was a little suspicious when reading the raves about "gel infused" pads. Well, add me to the list of fans raving about the Lucid topper. The best sleep we have had in years thanks to the gel and ventilation. As others described, it came as a box in a box in a box. In 24 hours, the topper swelled to 2.5 inches and we could not wait another day. There was little or no smell and the topper fit our Queen perfectly. No problem with fitted sheets. OK, it's bed time. Can't wait to lay down on my new gel topper!