5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, elegant, and searing sequel
Published on July 14, 2010 by The Compulsive Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Linger By Maggie Stiefvater
In Linger, (the sequel to Shiver) the story picks up as life resumes for Grace and her love Sam who appears to have been cured of the werewolf curse. Having made it through the last days of winter and now entering spring, Sam and Grace are on the watch for early shifters especially those newly created like Cole St. Clair.

Cole is restless, dark, damaged. He...
Published on July 25, 2010 by W. Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, elegant, and searing sequel, July 14, 2010
This review is from: Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 2) (Hardcover)
In the last weeks of winter, Sam has stayed human, much to Grace's joy, but the cold still haunts him. Grace is just happy to be with him, even though she knows that their problems are far from resolved. As spring approaches, the new wolves are changing back, even though one of them, Cole, would like nothing more than to lose himself in his wolf form, and Isabel's father is more than willing to help eradicate the wolves in the forest completely. And through it all, Grace is keeping a secret, something that could change everything.

Linger is a beautiful, elegant, and searing sequel. It contains all of the drama and romance of Shiver, but also possesses a new urgency as secrets are kept and tensions rise. Linger opens up Sam and Grace's world to include Cole and Isabel as narrators, and divulges even more about the wolves and how they live. Stiefvater reveals some wonderful character growth for each of the four narrators as well; Sam is still trying to get used to the fact that he is fully human and has a future ahead of him. Grace is feeling the stress of keeping secrets from her parents and Sam and her anger at her parents' constant absences. Sharp-tongued Isabel suffers from guilt at her part in her brother's death, and even though she'd like to stay away from the wolves, she can't help but be drawn to Cole, a sardonic boy who chose to be a wolf to escape the problems in his human life, but is finding that being a wolf is actually making him confront the things he has tried to bury. These issues that force the characters to evolve keep Linger from seeming like a transition from Shiver to the next book, and give it enough drama and tension to keep you rapt, especially during the climactic final scenes when Sam, Grace, Isabel, and Cole realize that the inner workings of lycanthropy may not be quite as they thought.

Stiefvater's writing is breathtakingly beautiful, as precise and affecting as poetry, and Linger is emotional, heartbreaking, and heart-pounding as the stakes are subtly raised for not just the main characters, but for every wolf in Mercy Falls.

3.0 out of 5 stars Linger By Maggie Stiefvater, July 25, 2010
This review is from: Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 2) (Hardcover)

Cole is restless, dark, damaged. He chose this life; wanted the escape. So why was he in human form and why couldn't he shift back into the wolf? Unfathomable to Sam, who risked death to become perpetually human, Cole tries everything he can think of to make his shift into wolf form permanent. The last thing Sam needs to be worrying about is a loose canon like Cole when his entire life is on the precipice of unthinkable change.

Something is wrong with Grace. A strange illness awakens within her, depleting her body and leaving her weakened and afraid. As she slowly deteriorates, Sam who's been ordered to stay away from her after being discovered in her room one night, fears he's about to lose the only girl he has ever loved.

Not quite as riveting as the first novel, Linger has some seeming errors in logic (see spoiler alert below) that I found rather distracting. Those detractors aside, Stiefvater delivers a compelling and sometimes poignant continuation of the storyline and I look forward to the next sequel in the series.

Spoiler Alert: The following paragraph contains information that may giveaway certain details of the stories mystery or suspense...

A few problems: In Shiver Grace is 17 and in chapter 3 reflects on her wolf attack experience 6 years ago, which would have made her 11 at the time of the attack. In Linger, Grace is still 17 but she is supposed to have been originally bitten over a decade ago. Another blaring problem is that in chapter 37 of Shiver, Grace is attacked by the wolf Shelby in her kitchen and bitten on the arm. In Linger Cole hypothesizes that Grace needs to be re-infected with the wolf poison essentially resetting Grace's shifting. However, that would have already occurred with the wolf bite from Shelby if that were true. I'm hopeful that these issues will be "cleaned up" in the next sequel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Shiver, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 2) (Hardcover)
At the end of Shiver, Sam and Grace got their wish for Sam's cure to work. Now however, they have new problems. Turns up his cure wouldn't instantly solve everything. Sam is having a hard time truly believing in his cure and the ability to have a future, so he is basically stuck in limbo. Grace on the other hand is ecstatic, but has problems she must come to terms with herself. Her parents decided to step in after being "absent" for as long as she can remember. She's also hiding a terrible secret, one that could rip apart everything she and Sam have worked for. Meanwhile, Isabel is still broken inside from her brother's death and finds herself drawn to Cole, who may just be more broken than she is.

The relationship between Grace and Sam didn't have the same dynamic or impact as is did before. Perhaps that is because of all the issues they were facing, which is understandable, but I found myself missing it all the same. I did enjoy the budding relationship, if you could call it that, between Cole and Isabel. I'm glad they didn't just fall instantly with each other, as that would not have worked well with the amount of "damage" they are both carrying. Perhaps in the future they will be able to overcome their own turmoils together, but I have a feeling that is going to be a very bumpy road.

Grace's parents absolutely infuriated me in this book, in fact I feel their behavior really detracted from my overall enjoyment of the book. Now, as I am a mother myself, I can say that the "incident" that spurns their behavior would greatly upset me, but I also do not and will never have the same type of relationship with my children as they have with Grace. Their parenting skills can be called nothing short of neglect, and were very lucky that Grace turned out as responsible as she did. In fact, her mother actually has a huge problem with her analytical nature as Grace is not a scatterbrain like her. Both of them gave up the rights to her life a very long time ago when they left her alone to raise herself. As it is, Grace was constantly taking care of her mother, when it should be the other way around. It just angers me that they would try and take away the one person who has shown her true love and compassion in her life. I can only hope that a miracle happens in the next book and they get a clue, or just get out of the way.

After reading Shiver, I had high expectations for this book, however it really fell flat for me. I'm not saying it wasn't a good book, just no where near Shiver's excellence. The problem with her parents made me too angry to fully enjoy the book. There also wasn't a real clear cut plot other than Sam trying to come to terms with his new found life, and Grace hiding a terrible secret. Even though I prefer Sam and Grace's characters, both Cole and Isabel's inner conflicts added a new dimension to the story. However the rotating perspectives was a little harder to follow this time as the changes were much more frequent than the last book. While the ending of Shiver was abrupt, it still left me smiling. This one, however was even more abrupt, yet did not leave me with the same happiness at all. I'm really hoping the next book will be more like Shiver as I love these characters. Overall, it was just an okay read for me, but definitely worth reading if you enjoyed the first one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shiver was good but Linger is better!, May 25, 2013
Maggie Stiefvater's lyrical writing style is back in full force in this second installment. I didn't fall completely in love with Shiver as many others did but Stiefvater's style is so remarkable that I just had to file the whole series under "must read". Linger did not let me down. In fact, I loved this book! The addition of a new character and two new points of view made all of the difference. Shiver was good but Linger was better!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Sam and Grace but the story didn't revolve exclusively around them this time around and for that I was grateful. The two love birds have sort of switched shoes in this book and I found that the role reversal suited their characters better. For the hardcore fans, there's still plenty of Sam and Grace goodness and their relationship is stronger than ever. Their love story is hopelessly romantic. Stiefvater manages to convince even me, a skeptical cynic, that happily ever afters are possible.

The new character, Cole St. Clair, stole the show for me. He's definitely my new favorite in this series. I wasn't a fan of him at first but he quickly won me over. He's a bad guy struggling to be good, or is it the other way around? It was hard to tell at times which is one of the elements that makes his character so intriguing! Cole is a famous rockstar looking to escape the spotlight and his past by joining the pack. I could totally relate to the way he describes the benefits of being an animal who relies on instinct vs the downfalls of humanity. We've all wanted to crawl into a hole and hide at one point or another in our lives. Cole puts those feelings into words and the outcome is incredible.

At first, I thought that having the story told from four different points of view was going to be confusing. However, that wasn't the case and Stiefvater pulled it off beautifully. The different narratives really allow readers to get into each character's mind and to know the nitty gritty details of their inner workings. My only complaint about this novel was the lack of werewolf appearances. After all, this series is called The Wolves of Mercy Falls.

Linger is a piece of art in book format. Stiefvater's lyrical writing style is unparalleled. The content is chock full of emotion and the words flow so well that you'll find yourself on the last page before realizing that you just read the entire novel in one sitting. There's also a monster of a cliff hanger ending that'll leave you impatiently awaiting the release of Forever later on this summer. If, like me, you weren't completely sold on this series after the first book; I encourage you to give Linger a try. You won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable Middle Book (After First Book Perfection), June 21, 2012
'This is a love story. I never knew there were so many kinds of love or that love could make people do so many different things.
I never knew there were so many different ways to say goodbye.'

Grace has never been sick a day in her life since the wolves attacked her when she was a child. Lately, she's been plagued by a constant headache and a fever that burns deep and has her fearing that this is much more than just the flu. Sam, now human despite the brutal Minnesota cold, still feels as if it's too good to be true.

Cole is one of the new wolves that Beck turned before he changed for the last time. Cole was an interesting and multi-faceted character. An ex-rock star in his pre-wolf life that was a junkie on the road to disaster. When he was approached by Beck he agreed to the change seeking a respite from the life he had created for himself. Sam and Grace shared the stage with the introduction of the growing attraction between Isabelle and Cole. I found the two couples to be vastly different yet managed to complement each other in the story wonderfully.

Maggie's writing remains vibrant and beautiful. There's really no other way to explain it... simple yet not. She's an amazing writer. I especially loved the small snippets we were given of Sam's poetry/song writing abilities.

'I'm an equation that only she solves/these X's and Y's by other names called/My way of dividing is desperately flawed/as I multiply days without her'

The ending of Linger left me with little doubt that I needed to start Forever immediately. I needed to know the ending to the story even though I have a distinct feeling that it's going to break my heart. Here's hoping I'm wrong. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Linger - Review, August 29, 2011
I very much enjoy the writing style of Maggie Stiefvater. The tone she writes in is beautiful and can be heartbreaking exactly when it should be. I enjoy swapping the narrator in the way that she does. It feels natural, where as other books that I've read do this, but have not achieved the narrator swap with the perfection that she has. The voice of the character she chooses to showcase always best fits the situation, whichever is experiencing the scene in the most interesting way is the exact person`s view she chooses to share with the reader. Continuing with the praise of her writing style, the addition of Cole St. Clair and Isabel's voices as narrators was also natural and seamless. I was hesitant about this when I first heard they would be additions, but it works so well.

A good portion of the storyline fits in with the real world and that is important to me. I can't take a book that portrays things as normal--in a semi-normal world--that in no way represent how life is really lived. Grace's parents don't believe or understand the intensity behind her relationship with Sam, which I find to be realistic. How many parents would take their child's first relationship seriously? So many of us have several misses before we hit any where close to the mark. Another realistic aspect of the book is the blow up Grace has with her parents after they find out that Sam's been spending the night in their daughter's bed. I had a hard time believing that no matter how absentee the parents that Sam and Grace could get away with sleeping in her bed together every night for so long. So it was appropriate for this to be the catalyst between Grace and her parents' explosion. The rebellion Grace goes through after her parents' reaction appears yet again very typical. Despite how unfounded their opinion of Sam, Grace never fully explains why she feels the way that she does and how wrong they are--about Sam's character in particular. I feel like that's classic teenage pride--though I can't imagine myself not vehemently defending my beloved's honor. It's a follow up on how adults make teenagers feel like they are idiots and how adults think teenagers believe they know so much more than they actually do. It's all very believable. One last tidbit about how real this book felt for me...Sam and Grace both have that "miss you while you're still there" thing going on. I've totally felt that before.

Moving into the actual storyline, I was also nervous that with the addition of Cole & Isabel's voices that we would have a repeat of the exact way that Sam & Grace came together. Forgive me, Maggie Stiefvater, for not having faith in you. It wasn't personal. It came from being let down by other stories where the characters change names but the overall arch of the story and events remains the same. This did not happen in this book and I loved it for just that reason. Cole and Isabel are their own story. They are their own characters. They are not Sam and Grace, and they stand their ground just the way that they are. SPOILER ALERT: I actually like that they don't get together in this book. It would be out of character. There is so much pain between the two of them. They need time. They need to heal. And they have to do that alone before they can achieve anything higher than where they are. Cole is learning to let go, learning how to be human again, and Isabel seems to be just trying to keep it together. It would have been fake and completely forced to have them fall madly in love upon first meeting and subsequently solve each others problems and broken hearts.

Sam and Grace. Oh Sam and Grace. I feel certain that Hollywood and critics will talk down about Sam and Grace because they are both so young and are already talking about marriage. Some seem to think it is a weakness to be so in love that you're broken when they are gone, that you're unable to function when life threatens to take away your love. They think that makes you weak. I think they are wrong. Perhaps it's because I was that way myself that I defend this position so adamantly. But all I wanted was to love and to be loved. To hold onto my love with a fist so tight it threatens to snuff out the oxygen for the rest of the world. Sam and Grace are unafraid of loving so deeply that they would be destroyed without the other. I don't call that weak. I call that strong. Love like there's no tomorrow.

4.0 out of 5 stars The love story continues..., July 22, 2011
Sam is still human and yet afraid to hope, to even believe that he has been cured. On top of his constant worrying if his cure will be short lived, he has the extra responsibility of caring for the pack which includes newly created wolves. Meanwhile, Grace is showing signs of a sickness that Sam knows all too well....she smells of wolf.

Newly created wolf/teen rockstar, ex-junkie Cole St Clair is new to the pack and only wants to lose himself in being a wolf. He just wants to escape his life, one filled with expectations and pain. He doesn't want to remember anything about being a human. The only problem is that Cole can't stay a wolf because his body is betraying him. It seems to have a mind of his own, switching between his human and wolf form constantly, while the other wolves can stay in their animal forms until the winter thaws. To complicate matters, while Cole seemed to have been one of Beck's (Sam's adopted father's) favorites, he's not endearing or even liked by Sam. So while Sam struggles with being human, leading the pack, Grace's illness and her parent's wrath, he also is left to decipher why Beck would make the lead singer of the rockband (Narkoteka) a wolf.

The other central character, rebellious/spoiled and misunderstood Isabel is still reeling from her brother's death, of which she feels responsible. True to form she doesn't blink when she finds a nude Cole still shivering from the change. Finding that they are somewhat kindred spirits, the two most unlikely people find themselves drawn to each other. While separately they do not seem to be very likable, there is a vulnerability that each character has that endears them to the reader. We soon becomes invested in the outcome of Isabel and Cole's lives, just as we do Sam and Grace.

What I did appreciate about Linger was the beautiful quality of the words. The author (Stiefvater) writes with an honesty and beauty that brings emotion to the author. She also has the uncanny ability to make you sympathize and like those characters who initially every instinct tells you to hate. In the end, you grow to understand both Isabel and Cole and want to see them have a happily ever after. And while Sam and Grace appear to be the modern day Romeo and Juliette, you also know that things will work out better for them than the I'll-fated couple. In conclusion, I can honestly say that while there are some unresolved issues, the pros of reading the story outweigh the cons. I give Linger a solid 4 and highly recommend it to those who are in to paranormal young adult novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maggie Stiefvater does it again!, July 20, 2011
Maggie Stiefvater does it again! Linger is a spectacular addition to The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy.

Recently I re-read Linger, the second book in The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy, by Maggie Stiefvater. WOW, now I am DYING to read Forever, the final book in this trilogy. Let's just say Maggie Stiefvater knows how to build anticipation and keep us wanting more!!

Linger is told from the alternating perspectives of Grace, Sam, Isabel & Cole (a new character).

I love Grace & Sam, in Shiver and in Linger. I am rooting for them all the way. Seriously, Sam writes music, plays guitar, sings his songs, and reads poetry!!! Grace is his muse. The only reason I wouldn't root for them is because I want him to myself

I really LOVE the addition of Isabel & Cole's perspectives. And even though Grace and Sam are the stars of the show, Isabel and Cole stole the show (or at least my attention). I wanted more and more scenes of them. Isabel and Cole are darker characters. They are both struggling with their own guilt, fears and depressions. However, their banter and no-nonsense attitudes are entertaining and refreshing. (Did I mention Cole is a musician too!! Not fair!)

I gave Linger by Maggie Stiefvater 4 STARS. I strongly recommend this book and look forward to reviewing the third and final book in this series, Forever.

-XOXO

READING, EATING & DREAMING

TO READ MORE YA REVIEWS CHECK OUT MY BLOG ON BLOGSPOT: READING, EATING & DREAMING I WAS BLAIR WALDORF

4.0 out of 5 stars Linger brings in more fabulous characters!, July 19, 2011
I was such a huge fan of Shiver. I was amazed by each detail Maggie placed inside the story. It was beautiful! Much of that continued with Linger, but I will say that I didn't love it as much. Sam and Grace go through a lot in Linger. Grace fights against her parents in order to stay with Sam. It seemed to be typical teenage drama but much more goes along with their love story. Something is happening with Grace and they don't know how to deal with it.

I'm not a big fan of multiple points-of-view and this book seemed to have too many. It often switched from Sam to Grace, to Isabelle and then Cole. I felt that even a majority of the book was focused on Isabelle and Cole..but honestly, that was fine with me because I preferred their story this time around. Sam and Grace were sooo depressed. I understood why but it just made the book harder to read. I felt myself dreading Sam and Grace's POV, and wanting to read more about Cole and Isabelle.

Isabelle is a great character. She is tough, stubborn, and sarcastic. That made the perfect match for Cole. He played the role of the tough guy but there ended up being so much more to him than first expected. Cole has a lot of demons from his past and he soon discovers that no matter what, he can't run from his past life. Isabelle is still going through pain of her own and together they seemed to bring some hope to each other's lives.

Sam and Grace are still strong characters and their level of love for each other cannot be denied. It goes beyond puppy love and each character goes through a lot to be together. They had several scenes that were completely adorable and I do really want to see what happens with them next.

Even though Linger didn't grab me as much as Shiver did, it still built upon a fascinating story. It has many dramatic moments, twists, and surprises. I'm looking forward to reading Forever and seeing what's in store for these characters!

4.0 out of 5 stars Linger by Maggie Stiefvater, June 24, 2011
I loved Linger better than Shiver. It had none of the hesitancy that Shiver contained, but rather constant decisions and action.

When Cole was introduced, I was completely and totally against him. I hated him because he constantly wrote about needing drugs, alcohol, and/or women. I loathed when the book changed into his perspective, but by the end of Linger, I was completely changed. Even though I'm still not really fond of Cole, I decided that I liked getting into his head when he started to change for the better. He discovered that maybe losing yourself to the wolves wasn't the right thing to do. I hope he's in Forever, because I'd love to know how his story ends.

I'm not sure how I feel about the constant perspective changes. I like them because I get to see into other character's heads, but they were confusing. They would change so suddenly that I would have to double-check to see which character I was reading. While I would definitely not like to read just Grace's perspective, I would have liked slightly easier transitions into each character.

I have to admire the author's ability to not make Sam into the typical romance boyfriend. Sam is delicate and scarred and afraid of things. Most of the main males in YA books (Edward Cullen much?) have to be tough and fearless and perfect. I like that Sam is not like that. He needs Grace just as much as she needs him, if not more.

I had no idea where Stiefvater was going to go with this book, but I didn't think that she was going to make Grace a werewolf. To me, Grace was always the odd one out on purpose. Able to see the wolf-images in her head, but never actually be a wolf. It's part of what made her who she is. Now that barrier has been broken, but what is she possibly going to do? She has too many ties to her humanity: her parents, school, friends, etc. I'm really curious to see how it's going to work out - or if it will work out.

I'm also very shocked that Sam chose to be human rather than turn into a wolf to stay with Grace. He struck me as the type of guy that would give up anything for her, but I see now that he values his humanity over being with Grace. Interesting.

4 stars total, because of its great story, consistent characters (though a lot of rough perspective changes), and really nice poetry/lyrics.

Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 2)
Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 2) by Maggie Stiefvater (Hardcover - July 1, 2010)
$17.99 $14.49
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies