Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LinkedIn For Dummies
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 29, 2011
For someone who's new to LinkedIn, this would be a really good book. It covers all the ins and outs of the site and gives some really good tips on maximizing your personal profile and best practices for networking through LinkedIn. I definitely picked up a few nuggets. It also covered some lesser-known aspects (at least to me) of LinkedIn like the suggestions in the last chapter, "Miscellaneous Uses for LinkedIn."

However, the primary reason I bought the book was to learn how to best manage a COMPANY profile (rather than an individual profile) on LinkedIn. This book was woefully lacking on that subject. In fact, it was never mentioned.

Overall, it was a good book, it just didn't address the one thing I was specifically looking for.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon October 2, 2014
√ With LinkedIn, it's possible, the author says, to do both: "Imagine a web site where both concepts are true, where you can demonstrate what you known and see the power of who you known."

So begins this extensive, helpful book on one of the most interesting websites in the world. LINKEDIN FOR DUMMIES is a well-written, and well-edited discussion about the myriad of ways to use LinkedIn. I was already familiar with that website, so many of the ideas were not really new to me. So, if you are already familiar with the site, recommend skipping over some of the more basic points, like getting an account, etc.

Some things, however, were indeed new, and very helpful. Here are some of the highlights:

♦ Excellent discussion on how to produce a good "Summary" for your profile.
♦ Lots of screenshots to show you how to do certain things.
♦ Interesting tips on using the "hidden power" of LinkedIn to do a "passive" job search--that is, being open to new job opportunities, even though you're not really looking right now.
♦ Fascinating quote: "People with more than 20 connections are 34 times more likely to be approached with a job opportunity than people with fewer than 5 connections." Keep in mind, however, that that statistic comes from LinkedIn itself. They would hardly be considered an objective third party. Nevertheless, the point is good--become adept at social networking!
♦ Possibly the most valuable chapter: "Finding Employees." Joel does a great job of explaining how to get good results from a LinkedIn job listing. I had no idea that advertisers can access a "Talent Solutions" tool to manage your job listings.
♦ Don't bother becoming a LinkedIn "Lion," the author suggests. The purpose of connecting is to network with people you KNOW, not see how many artificial connections you can muster. (I admit I fell into that trip years ago, and I'm still "disconnecting" some of my "lion" bogus connections."

√ All in all, LINKEDIN FOR DUMMIES is a very helpful, well-researched discussion and set of tips. The book is clear, and easy to follow. Reading a well-written book is always a pleasure; I find it annoying when I have to advise a writer how to write proper English. I also appreciate the fact that the links in the Table of Contents actually work properly. This might seem like an obvious thing that would always be done right, but not so!

Recommend!

♫ A Review by Chris Lawson

Note: I do not know the author of this book, and no one requested I write this review.
VINE VOICEon July 29, 2014
This is an excellent guide packed with information about LinkedIn. To the newcomer, LinkedIn is not the most user friendly service and many of the features and options don't readily explain themselves. This guide offers an overview of what the service is, why it was created and how it differs from Facebook and other social media. It offers step by step guides for many functions, but this is not a struck "how to use" book. It deftly balances wonderful tips, creative solutions and suggestions for how to make LinkedIn work for you. It covers all the major functions including joining (signing up on your own vs an invitation), how to create and optimize your profile, find connections, manage your networks, free vs paid accounts, recruiting, job seeking and much more. I found the section on Endorsements vs Recommendations very helpful. I had heard of LinkedIn and hadn't given it much thought, but now I've found it to be a wonderful tool to connect with others professionally. I highly recommend this book whether you are a newbie, current member or just want to know more, there is something for everyone.
on February 18, 2013
I'd had a LinkedIn account for a long time, but I never used it. This winter, I decided to develop my account. Visual Quick Start books are usually concise and full of information, and the books work as a reference once you're up and running. This book was disappointing. There was very little technical information. The book focused on features of LinkedIn in a very general way. My free version of LinkedIn is fully developed. I have received some very interesting job postings for full time work, although I am interested in part time.

Also, this is the first time I've purchased a digital version of a reference book. I don't recommend doing that. It's much easier to flip through a reference while working on a screen.
on September 5, 2015
'Dummies' books often vary in quality--both in terms of the content and the intrusiveness of dummy 'jokes.' Happily, this has none of the latter, and is very clearly written with exceptionally clear illustrations. I bought it mainly to learn how to improve my profile, and it has excellent tips in that regard. The only shortcoming of a book like this is that policies and platforms for social media sites seem to change fairly often, and books like this seem to have a shelf life of maybe 18 months to 2 years.

Still, when you consider how much web searching you'd have to do to accumulate all the material, the money is worth it. This is a case where trying to get free information rather than buying it all in one document is penny-wise and pound foolish
on September 30, 2011
Very well done, Joel.

Mr. Elad does an excellent job of explaining LinkedIn to the reader, from the beginner's steps of setting-up an account to sophisticated marketing and sales strategies. This is the second edition of LinkedIn for Dummies.

My perspective is that of a healthcare professional starting a business who is in need of a business-oriented (as opposed to healthcare-oriented) network.

I conceptualize LinkedIn in three different ways. 1) The creators have taken the abstract concept of business networking, codified it as an algorithm and then automated it as a web-based business application. Quite an achievement. It makes this process several degrees more efficient, and I hope more effective 2) It is about B2B (business-to-business) marketing, not B2C (business-to-consumer) with the individual as the focal point and ambassador for his company. Facebook and Twitter can be thought of as the B2C social media marketing archetypes. 3) It is about optimally linking skilled professionals with work opportunities

As well as being instructive about the nuts-and-bolts issues of operating LinkedIn, the book is full of practical advice and tips on how to use LinkedIn effectively. SEO for LinkedIn is addressed briefly, and the strategies are given for using LinkedIn to conduct marketing, sales and even seek-out investors (or, for venture capitalists, screen opportunities). Mr. Elad also gives advice on pitfalls to avoid. Very thorough.

As is so often the case with books that explain a facet of technology, they go out of date fast. The discussion of LinkedIn Service Provider Recommendations is out-of-date as LinkedIn has replaced it with "Skills"(beta) as of this writing. The user of LinkedIn will still need to hack around with it, and the online Learning Center is the best place to keep abreast of changes.

As an aside, because technology and especially social media sites change so often, I think books on technology should be kept online and up-dated constantly by the author, rather than be issued as hard copy. I spent a while trying to find the Service Provider Recommendations, as per Mr. Elad's directions, until I hacked into the Skills section.

A must-have reference for your bookshelf.
on September 18, 2013
Out of Date. Linkedin constantly changes how to edit your Profile. Poor explanation of how to protect your Profile from ANY public viewing until it is completed. Inadvertently exposed my incomplete Profile to public viewing and was not aware that Google "web crawls" so that anything not protected from public viewing in Linkledin is now available by a Google search. Even closing your Linkedin account, which I did, does not remove your Linkedin Profile from Google and other Search engines that have copied your Linkedin profile before you closed your Linkedin account. There should be a big warning at the beginning of this book of these consequences. Linkedin itself also does not adequately warn.
on September 4, 2013
LinkedIn is fascinating but,not easy for me to navigate or figure out. I have read SO much about how this site is booming and helping others build their businesses and I wanted to accomplish the same thing.I own a company of my own but,I had not given much thought to using LinkedIn to help me do it until I read about this website. I blundered through signing up for it but,without a lot of direction. This book is slowly helping me understand the ins and outs of this site in a step by step manner.
on September 30, 2013
LinkedIn has changed their site and many of the instructions in the book no longer apply. It was a good book until LinkedIn redesigned their site. Many of the features like ANSWERS no longer exist and many of the instructions no longer work. It can cause a giant headache. Wait for the 2013 version or just use the help center.
on December 18, 2013
When I first started writing my LinkedIn Profile years ago, I used this book to help me through and it was great. Unfortunately it is now outdated, so I am hoping that they will soon offer an updated version. As a professional resume writer I also write LinkedIn profiles for clients / job seekers as well as give them advice. I tell them to watch for an updated version for LinkedIn for Dummies if they are writing their own profile. I assume that the updated version, when it comes out, will include an updated chapter dedicated to the job search process using LinkedIn and step by step instructions about setting up your profile.