Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 questions
votes
No you still need a router. A switch allows you to extend coverage to additional wired devices. I have a router and three switches because the router only has 5 ports. I connect the switches to the router and now I have 18 ports in different parts of the building I am in.
Dec 29, 2012 by Doug Cameron
vote
Yes, of course you can.
Jul 29, 2013 by LHoward
votes
Switches create networks, routers connect networks. Multiple devices connected at a location (PCs, game consoles, tablets, etc.) are a Local Area Network. The Internet is a separate network, connecting your LAN to the Internet requires a router.
Nov 19, 2013 by Wilfred Pelletier Jr.
votes
Hi Jeff. Ethernet switches are basically used to provide extra ports in an existing network setup; or it can also be used to link ethernet cables or two or more networks. To know more about the SE2500, please follow this link to our support site: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-apac/support/switches/SE2500 Thanks. Cisco-Linksys Support http://homesupport.cisco.com
Jan 3, 2013 by Linksys Cares
votes
I am certain that you can, since the switch is merely directing the connection, but I prefer the other way around. Everything in my home is on the same subnet, and I pre-wired my house for ethernet in every room. I ran the modem to the router, and a port on the router to the switch. From there, every bedroom, living room and kitchen were connected at a central point.
Jan 7, 2013 by Jamieson H. Dirkes
votes
SE2500 is a copper wired switch only. It has no built-in wireless capability. Wireless access points (AP's) can be added to provide WiFi wireless service. I do this.
Sep 26, 2014 by Edward R. Johnson
votes
No the switch has no wireless capability.
Sep 7, 2014 by David
votes
If you were to connect two 5-port units using a split from one hardwire feed from your router or modem, you would have a total of 8 ports for output. The 5-port unit has one input and 4 output ports.
Sep 5, 2014 by John
votes
Is this a router Aug 16, 2014
This is a wired device to expand from one connection to multiple connections, all wired
Aug 16, 2014 by Randolph Mccormack
votes
Hi Richard. The Cat5 supports voice and data transmission rates up to 100 Mbps. CAT6 cable on the other hand provides transmission rates of 1000 Mbps which means it supports Gigabit Ethernet networking.
Aug 2, 2014 by Linksys Cares  MANUFACTURER 
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers