5.0 out of 5 stars Sysadmin / Network engineer opinion of this device
I am someone who works for a major telecom company and have held positions as a network engineer, Unix, Linux, and am currently a team lead for my companies cloud computing offering. I started using wireless back in 1999 on an Aironet unit I was given in a hardware trade that did all of 2mbps.

This router really works well, has a sufficient range to cover my...
Published 9 months ago by R. Masci

1.0 out of 5 stars WAYYYYY tooo HOTTT
This router has an excellent and robust interface... and works extremely well... when it isn't cooking itself to DEATH.
Literally, the unit becomes hot enough to almost hurt you by touching it.
If you live in walk-in freezer or a meat-packing plant or something, this thing may be a great option for you.

However, this thing would literally overheat...
Published 8 months ago by 21st Century Druid

5.0 out of 5 stars Sysadmin / Network engineer opinion of this device, February 28, 2014
R. Masci (Atlanta Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linksys EA4500 App-Enabled N900 Refurbished Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with Gigabit and USB (Personal Computers)

This router really works well, has a sufficient range to cover my fairly large home, that includes a modest amount of devices, pulling 5 - 10 gigs a day. The problem areas that had sketchy signal now has very adequate coverage. This router replaces a poor choice in a Tenda N600 that performed horribly, before that was a buffalo, and Netgear N600. I also have several Linksys / Netgear N150, N300 routers that I've installed dd-wrt and act as wireless access points for the non-wifi devices such as MagicJack, LaserPrinter, old Xbox and some desktop computers for the kids.

This router outperforms the Buffalo and the Netgear N600 for range. For performance Airplay works very well, and I can both stream video and use my TV as an extended monitor via wifi.

I've read a lot of reviews from folks that didn't like the cloud configuration tool -- but I really like it. I had no issue setting it up, configuring my router and I like that I can login and change settings when I am not home. Today in fact I was able to disconnect one of my misbehaving kids computers from the internet while I was at work. :D I hope that Linksys continues to expand on this, and more apps for iPhone / Android come out. Remember security breaches are the death sentence for your company, so I am sure they've secured it down, or Linksys will be a name that will go down in flames.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great, March 7, 2014
All my devices are able to connect and maintain good speeds. I would recommend this router to anyone looking for a top quality wireless-N router.

5.0 out of 5 stars No fuss, and fast, February 18, 2014
T. Riehl "Quiet Patriot" (Woodburn, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This item installed with the least hassle I've ever experienced. Just purrs in the background. WiFi connections to my TV, etc. have been uneventful, which is exactly what everybody wants.

1.0 out of 5 stars WAYYYYY tooo HOTTT, April 8, 2014
21st Century Druid (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
Literally, the unit becomes hot enough to almost hurt you by touching it.

However, this thing would literally overheat itself to the point of complete malfunction, irresponsiveness, and shutdown (specifically from overheating, not from defect) just by sitting on the back of my desk, with plenty of space around it.

To keep it from overheating, I had to prop it up on two makeshift pedestals (one on the very edge of each side), so that it had airflow under it (in addition to over), and then arrange a box fan to blow directly onto it, to whisk away the heat RADIATING off the bottom of the unit. Under such a condition, it worked great... and I'm certain it would have continued to do so on an extended basis... HOWEVER... you shouldn't have to put up with that. If CISCO doesn't want to engineer its products to run cool without great pains (and possibly extra expense) taken by the end users, then they don't deserve our money. It's not like they are incapable of doing this, they have simply chosen not to... and this unit is proof.

Go buy something that's engineered to be stable in a "normal" environment... which may be almost anything else. Personally, I went with a NetGear router. I've been happy ever since.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a Solid Router from a Solid Company....Recommend this router, September 28, 2014
I have been an IT professional for a long time...won't say exactly how long but suffice it to say 30+ years. When I started using wireless in my home many years ago I leaned towards CISCO generally has a great product and I have found them to be rock solid at work and in my home. The only shortcoming in their routers has generally been the Firmware. The firmware presents some limitations I usually like to avoid...I have also found that when using the Linksys/Cisco firmware on the routers they sometimes overheat AND loose connection which is easily corrected by rebooting the router. Once rebooted it works fine. For this reason (and because I am a GEEK who likes to tweak things, I usually get rid of the Linksys/Cisco firmware and install DDWRT. This has to be done carefully so as to not "brick" your router BUT I have found the routers generally perform quite well with DDWRT...they keep their connection and don't overheat...and with DDWRT I can tweak and play...increasing the output power, etc....just one of the things we like to do...:)
Having said all of that...I needed a new router a couple of months ago and chose the EA4500...thought about the 6500 or 6900 but there are still some issues with Linksys and their AC routers so I went with the 4500 instead. One issue that made me hesitate on the 4500 was that I knew I could not install DDWRT as the firmware...at present, you are tied to the Linksys/CISCO firmware...BUT...so far (and I've been using this router for a couple of months now)...it has been pretty solid...I DON'T like the fact that there are a lot of things you can't adjust using their configuration manager BUT...I have found that devices connect fairly easily...I have a media bridge (the 610) which connects to the router for a couple of printers...I also just connected another router to the 610 to extend (cascade) the range of my network. All you need to do is connect the other router to a LAN port on the extender or your primary router and give it the same SSID...a lot easier than I was expecting...
I am currently extending our network on our property. My intention is to purchase another Media bridge and a couple of more EA4500s to make this happen...as I mentioned, I considered the 6500s and 6900s and would prefer to go with those but the 4500 is more stable at this time..
One concern of mine is that they have yet to provide a firmware upgrade for the 4500...I keep checking and there just isn't one. Some would say it isn't needed but being a professional I am sure there are reasons to make changes to the firmware...perhaps one will come soon.
I rate this as a four rather than five primarily due to the interface which I sometimes find confusing...I DO NOT use the Online configuration tool they provide...just don't like the idea of my configuration being in the cloud.
So, do I recommend this router....YES....it is a solid router from a solid vendor...why else would I be purchasing a couple more of them for my network?
I also recommend saving some money and getting the refurbished router. Most of the routers I've purchased for my home in the last six+ years have been refurbished. You same some dough and get a solid product. Some say to stay away from refurbished products BUT one way to look at it is to realize that if it is refurbished it was actually looked at a little closely than a product that just made if off the assembly line...a technician had to look at it and fix whatever was wrong...I have NEVER been dissatisfied with a refurbished Linksys/Cisco product....Just my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, May 10, 2014
2 Months after purchasing and no problems. This router is easy to setup and has some great features. It really is a value for the price. I know others have had problems with refurbished, but I have never had problems. Very satisfied with purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars PRESS RESET BEFORE YOU SET IT UP!, May 23, 2014
Trust me, press RESET button first, or you'll get many issues when you start, The router is great but I don't think it's been well refurbished.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works amazing... when it works., August 23, 2014
Pros: great wireless range and speed, USB option is great for making your external hard drive content available on your network.

Cons: tends to overheat a lot, freezes up quite often especially when it does overheat, and requires the 30/30/30 hard reset when that happens. Network file transfer from the USB drive attached can be slow, especially if you are trying to stream videos via wi-fi, as it takes a few seconds for the file to be buffered.

When it's up and running fine, I get great indoor and outdoor range. I was able to get a signal in my car in the driveway while the router sits in the middle of the house, as well as in my bedroom which is at least through 2-3 walls at about 15 ft away from the router.

When it does get overheat, which can happen often if you just let it sit horizontal, it will freeze up and have a constant, white light where the logo is, and no lights on the back ports like it normally would. When this happens, the router is not even visible on your network, and you'll become quite familiar with the 30/30/30 hard reset functionality as you will have to do this in order to bring the router back up.

For the couple of years I had this model, I ended up standing the router on its side, leaning against the wall, so that the bottom part of the router and its vents are exposed, and it seemed to help with the overheating issue. However, that did not stop it from freezing up entirely, as if you have the automatically update firmware option checked (which is by default, and can be changed via the admin panel in your browser), that can happen sometimes and require a hard reset in order to "reboot" the router.

Eventually the 30/30/30 method stopped working entirely, and as my router is way past the warranty period, I have to get myself a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars REfurb all the way, June 28, 2014
I was in the market for a great router and i knew linksys to be reliable. my buddy told me to go refurb so i decided on this at a fraction of face value and it is awesome. completely reset, intrusctions included. took me 5 minutes to set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, April 23, 2014
Reaches every corner of my house with a strong signal. Easy to set up and performs flawlessly. Have 10 devices connected most of the time and have never lost signals to any of them. Would recommend to anyone who need a new router.