Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 28, 2014
I am someone who works for a major telecom company and have held positions as a network engineer, Unix, Linux, and am currently a team lead for my companies cloud computing offering. I started using wireless back in 1999 on an Aironet unit I was given in a hardware trade that did all of 2mbps.

This router really works well, has a sufficient range to cover my fairly large home, that includes a modest amount of devices, pulling 5 - 10 gigs a day. The problem areas that had sketchy signal now has very adequate coverage. This router replaces a poor choice in a Tenda N600 that performed horribly, before that was a buffalo, and Netgear N600. I also have several Linksys / Netgear N150, N300 routers that I've installed dd-wrt and act as wireless access points for the non-wifi devices such as MagicJack, LaserPrinter, old Xbox and some desktop computers for the kids.

This router outperforms the Buffalo and the Netgear N600 for range. For performance Airplay works very well, and I can both stream video and use my TV as an extended monitor via wifi.

I've read a lot of reviews from folks that didn't like the cloud configuration tool -- but I really like it. I had no issue setting it up, configuring my router and I like that I can login and change settings when I am not home. Today in fact I was able to disconnect one of my misbehaving kids computers from the internet while I was at work. :D I hope that Linksys continues to expand on this, and more apps for iPhone / Android come out. Remember security breaches are the death sentence for your company, so I am sure they've secured it down, or Linksys will be a name that will go down in flames.
on September 28, 2014
I have been an IT professional for a long time...won't say exactly how long but suffice it to say 30+ years. When I started using wireless in my home many years ago I leaned towards CISCO generally has a great product and I have found them to be rock solid at work and in my home. The only shortcoming in their routers has generally been the Firmware. The firmware presents some limitations I usually like to avoid...I have also found that when using the Linksys/Cisco firmware on the routers they sometimes overheat AND loose connection which is easily corrected by rebooting the router. Once rebooted it works fine. For this reason (and because I am a GEEK who likes to tweak things, I usually get rid of the Linksys/Cisco firmware and install DDWRT. This has to be done carefully so as to not "brick" your router BUT I have found the routers generally perform quite well with DDWRT...they keep their connection and don't overheat...and with DDWRT I can tweak and play...increasing the output power, etc....just one of the things we like to do...:)
Having said all of that...I needed a new router a couple of months ago and chose the EA4500...thought about the 6500 or 6900 but there are still some issues with Linksys and their AC routers so I went with the 4500 instead. One issue that made me hesitate on the 4500 was that I knew I could not install DDWRT as the firmware...at present, you are tied to the Linksys/CISCO firmware...BUT...so far (and I've been using this router for a couple of months now)...it has been pretty solid...I DON'T like the fact that there are a lot of things you can't adjust using their configuration manager BUT...I have found that devices connect fairly easily...I have a media bridge (the 610) which connects to the router for a couple of printers...I also just connected another router to the 610 to extend (cascade) the range of my network. All you need to do is connect the other router to a LAN port on the extender or your primary router and give it the same SSID...a lot easier than I was expecting...
I am currently extending our network on our property. My intention is to purchase another Media bridge and a couple of more EA4500s to make this happen...as I mentioned, I considered the 6500s and 6900s and would prefer to go with those but the 4500 is more stable at this time..
One concern of mine is that they have yet to provide a firmware upgrade for the 4500...I keep checking and there just isn't one. Some would say it isn't needed but being a professional I am sure there are reasons to make changes to the firmware...perhaps one will come soon.
I rate this as a four rather than five primarily due to the interface which I sometimes find confusing...I DO NOT use the Online configuration tool they provide...just don't like the idea of my configuration being in the cloud.
So, do I recommend this router....YES....it is a solid router from a solid vendor...why else would I be purchasing a couple more of them for my network?
I also recommend saving some money and getting the refurbished router. Most of the routers I've purchased for my home in the last six+ years have been refurbished. You same some dough and get a solid product. Some say to stay away from refurbished products BUT one way to look at it is to realize that if it is refurbished it was actually looked at a little closely than a product that just made if off the assembly line...a technician had to look at it and fix whatever was wrong...I have NEVER been dissatisfied with a refurbished Linksys/Cisco product....Just my opinion.
on March 7, 2014
All my devices are able to connect and maintain good speeds. I would recommend this router to anyone looking for a top quality wireless-N router.
on December 29, 2015
It has been a while since I needed a router. I have been using Cisco/Lynksys routeres for thelast 10 years.they just seem to be a bit easier to set up and they work great overall.I haven't had the problem that some other customers of Cisco/Lynksys products have had. Luck me I guess.anyway I upgraded to this EA4500 / N900 Dual Band Router because my old E2000 Dual Band was pretty much done for,it started to drop connection and my MPS were down quite a bit. so after searching and reading all the facts about the newer smart router idecided to go with the EA4500/N900. upon arrival I unpacked it,inserted the disk,ran the set up and BAM! I was online.connected seamlessly.no problem so far and I do feel these are still some of the best routers out there.I love Cisco /Lynksys products I feel they are a great value for the shopper on a budget. so if you are looking for a router and want something dependable,i think you should give this router a try..good luck
on February 18, 2014
This item installed with the least hassle I've ever experienced. Just purrs in the background. WiFi connections to my TV, etc. have been uneventful, which is exactly what everybody wants.
on December 10, 2015
No more dropped connection. . . 2nd day using this router and I like it. I'm getting 90 mbps download on my desktop (hard wired) and 56 mbps download on my samsung galaxy note 4 (5GHz wifi)

Updating 1/7/2016, still going strong, still loving this router. I had to power cycle it once the other day but I think it was due to power issues in the neighborhood. The Media Prioritization works like magic, since I have so many devices on my network, I added my phone and my chromecast to Media Prioritization so they are not affected by what other devices are doing, and I can manage it all from the smart wifi android app. Awesome router
on October 16, 2015
This router worked great for 6 months and fixed our bandwidth overlap problems. (We have too many people around us using 2.4ghz and we couldn't hold a signal.) Unfortunately, the wifi part quit after 6 months and is no longer under warranty. I've spent three days trying to fix it and I'm giving up and buying something else.

Buyer beware: Linksys/Cisco will charge you for phone support after 3 months. Be prepared to pay $30-$40 for them to answer any little question for you over the phone. Even "let's try to restart the device."

Since these are refurbished, they show up as being sold long before the current date. I purchased mine in April, 2015, but they showed it was purchased in Jan. 2014 from the serial number.
on February 26, 2015
This router turn out great for me, does exactly what I want it to do. I was worried when I first started setting this up because it would not complete the setup via the disk it comes with, I did have to go into the browser and set it up manually, which doesnt hurt my fellings at all. This thing works great though, streams movies, music, and files from the external hard drive via the share port great. No buffering or anything like that when I watch my own movies from my hard drive over the network, plays music with no distortion. The router firmware is great, easy to use, easy to understand. Best part, it gave me twice the speed that my standard leased router from centurylink gave me.
on April 10, 2014
I was a little skeptical about purchasing a refurbished product but this has given me 0 problems so I am relieved. Interface is different from the older Linksys routers, so it takes some getting used to. Finding the features sometimes requires browsing tabs until you find the setting you're looking for. I've become accustomed to the interface of previous models that I've used, several different models over the years, and the interface just doesn't stand out and smack me in the face as awesome. Overall 4 out of 5. It looses 1 star because of the somewhat confusing interface. Cisco would have been better off retaining the same style of interface from previous models. Range and connectivity are great.
on February 5, 2015
Bought it refurbished and you would never know it. Works great. Love the remote access feature! Very, very stable after 3 weeks haven't had to touch it. Nice replacement for the unstable Comcast/Xfinity cable modem/WIFI router. Replace with Zoom modem and this router. Stronger WIFI signal and no more drops. Dual band is nice too, but not a lot of our stuff uses the 5Ghz. Didn't get 802.11AC for the same reason... no clients yet.