Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cisco DPC3008 (Comcast, TWC, Cox Version) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 14, 2013
This is an excellent high speed modem and works great with Comcast after getting set up. Only complaint I have is if you set it on its side (one of the options) it tends to overheat and cut out. After several frustrating days of dropped internet I realized how hot the unit got and stood it up giving plenty of room for circulation around it and have not had any problem since.
on December 19, 2012
We originally had the 'Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem' but had too many problems with dropped connections. We replaced it with this modem and have not had any dropped connections. We've had it for about 10 days. Works flawlessly.
33 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2013
We upgraded to a faster internet connection and we decided to replace our old one to accommodate the higher speeds. We first got the Motorola SB6121 but we had issues with it rebooting endlessly, Comcast was not able to figure out the issue so we decided to return it. We then decided to get the Lynksys DPC3008 and it worked flawlessly. Connected to the internet right away and haven't had a dropped connection yet.
on March 28, 2015
This cable modem is excellent! I was trying to help a neighbor who is a disabled Veteran. He is very private and won't let anyone in his house, but really wanted to get basic internet service hooked up after another neighbor got him a used laptop. The first modem we ordered was not compatible with Comcast and also his Magic Jack service. When I returned the first modem, this company DOMO DEALS, reached out to me the same day and offered support to pick the right modem. I explained the complicated situation, and they recommended this modem after calling Comcast on their own to ensure it was the right modem. Not only was the recommendation and the modem perfect, it was simple for my neighbor to hook up - basically plug-and-play on his own. But then this company caught me totally off guard by offering to credit my account and give the modem to my neighbor to thank him for his service in the military. WOW is all I can say. I wasn't asking for any special consideration, they just gave it to me. I will do anything to help my neighbor, his service in the military, the injuries, both physically and mentally that he will bear the rest of his life...well, most people would give up. It is hard showing support sometimes, and DOMO DEALS made it so easy. They went above and beyond by exceeding any expectation I could have had. I didn't ask... they just gave First Class, Personalized Service!!
on October 3, 2013
Execelent purchase, the speed improved about 8% from 24mb/5mb to 29.04mb/5.93mb, but the biggest improve was the speed of the response when a link is clicked! it is almost instantaneous, i'm very happy with this purchase. Setup was simple, I open a browser
tried to go to any page and it took me to the comcast setup just click next a few times and you're done. No need to call comcast with this one. Yes, I recommend buying this.
on July 22, 2015
I wished to be free from Comcast's modem rental, and decided to spend some time to investigate options for a modem + wif-router combo that would be both reliable and cheap. Ideally I would want it to pay itself off within the least amount of time while giving me all the features my Comcast modem did.

I was running the rolls-royce of Comcast modems, the DPC3941T, a 24x4 Docsis 3.0 with 802.11ac. It was a bit of an overkill for the Performance Internet plan I was on. I had this device mainly for its 802.11ac functionality, something the other modems Comcast were renting did not have. As a modem it provided 29.99Mbps downlink and 6Mbps uplink.

I found similar combo units by Surfboard SBG6782-AC and Netgear C6300, with 802.11ac, too expensive -- around $200. I started thinking about the possibility of failures, and at that price point I decided it would be a waste of money if the device did fail. Also, If I wanted to move away from Comcast (if I could) the cable modem interface may be obsolete for a new service. So I decided it would be wise to buy a separate modem and router (two separate devices), and if one failed or became redundant it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

I looked at a few reviews and decided on this Cisco DPC3008 modem (not the Linksys DPC3008-CC variant) due to Cisco's reputable name and it's 3-star rating on Comcast's supported devices (I believe both Linksys and Cisco devices are the same -- but since Linksys's acquisition by Belkin in 2003 from Cisco, completed in 2013, things may have changed). I also liked its compact build quality and larger vents compared with the SurfBoard SB6141 and Netgear CM400-100NAS standalone modems I was considering at the same time.

I paid heed to the overheating warnings by other customers on Amazon, but looked closely at the build of the device to see it has a larger set of vents on the its top and screw mounts, hinting that a vertical placement had been designed for and recommended. I have since installed it in this way on my wall, and the heat generated is less to the touch than the rental I had. I have also had no dropouts in connection.

Many other people said that you need to call Comcast to get it activated. I, like many people, do not like calling Comcast, and so tried the www.xfinity.com/activate link via a web browser when everything was connected and it worked like a charm. Upon installing I am getting 29.99 Mbps downlink and 6Mbps uplink, the same as my rented DPC3941T.

I also purchased my Cisco DPC3008 modem USED for $34.40 with Amazon Prime two-day shipping from seller Deal Time Plus. So I am very happy this is working so well for a previously used item. The hardware revision is V1.00 and it was manufactured in Oct-2013. For a two year old device it is operating with no problem.

I paired this modem with a Buffalo WHR-1166D to get the 802.11ac connection I required, which I bought from Amazon for $45 with free one-day shipping. It is a solid 802.11ac wireless router with backward compatibility. It has a great simple configuration splash page, as well as an advanced option for people concerned with QoS, Port-forwarding etc.

Overall I was able to replace my rental unit with a near-good-enough replacement with 802.11ac at a price point of $79.40. Much cheaper than anything else out there currently with the features I required. Driven by the Cisco DPC3008, I am pleased with the performance I am getting and there is no noticeable difference to what I was getting through Comcast's rented DPC3941T.

Also, the customer picture by Daniel Greynolds is an example on how not to mount this modem (sorry Daniel). If you look closely, he has the face on the top, and this will explain why he has had to reset on occasion (due to overheating, possibly). There are no vents near the face of the modem, and the heat will not be able to escape. See my picture on how to properly mount this modem.

Tip when connecting this modem to your router: Some people have mentioned that the 'Internet' signal isn't being passed, or are having difficulty getting it synced, to their wireless router. Once you have your modem connected to your provider, make sure that the modem is connected to your router's 'WAN' ethernet port. If the router is not picking up the signal, simply reset the modem. That is power the devices like this 1) router, once on and stable, then the 2) modem. This should make the connection between both devices come up quicker, or solve the sync problem.
review image
on April 21, 2013
I've gone through two of Comcat's rented cable modems, they just seem to wear out after 2-4 years. Instead of staying home and waiting for the Comcast guy to show up in some 4 hour window, I just went ahead and got my own this time around. A quick call to Comcast was all that was needed to register the modem and within 15 minutes I was getting near 28Mbps. After dropping off my rented cable modem, they removed the $7 per month rental charge, so if this one lasts a little more than a year, it pays for it self and I didn't need to schedule an appointment to have my rented one replaced again.
on January 14, 2014
I bought this modem after going through 3 of Comcast's modems, none of which would hold a VPN connection. This little fellow runs great, no problems so far, and is very easy to get up and running. Quite happy with it.
on March 28, 2015
Not much to say. Since you can't access it (as far as I know, even just for diagnostics), it's a plug it in, activate it and forget it device. Of course the activating may be a issue if you get a CSR that configures it as a DOCSIS 2 instead of a DOCSIS modem that caused it to keep on rebooting over and over, making me waste my time, thinking it was on my end when it wasn't.

Pros;
1. Price (I bought it used for $35)
2. Size,
3. Runs fairly cool,
4. Easy to see LED indications

Cons,
1. Apparently like all of these that are MSO approved, there is NO user access to even a diagnostic screen. Really stupid as usual,
2. Firmware updates are only available through the MSO, not the owner like it is for all the others,
3. No power button,
4. No USB port (probably not a issue).
on July 15, 2015
It works fine. I don't have to pay modem rental fees. Nice. Svck it, Time Warner Cable.

This is one of the approved TWC modems. I picked Cisco because I've had luck with their other products. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it did seem like TWC was purposely trying to make my life miserable. Once you get this modem, you can't simply plug it in and have it work... and I couldn't/didn't find that out until the day-of. You have to register it with the company, or some garbage like that. Luckily, I had a TWC tech in the house for other things and he took care it quickly. I don't know exactly what he did, so if you're buying this to keep from spending $8 per month on rental fees, find out what extra steps you have to take before this arrives at your door.

Because I bought this, I can now use Amazon as a way to pronounce my hatred of Time Warner Cable. It's the absolute worst company I've ever had to deal with. And that says a lot, considering I used to deal with DirecTV and Home Depot. The only positive thing I can say about TWC is that their in-home techs are great. Unfortunately, the rest of the company is so horrifically bad, it negates any of the good. Thank you for allowing me to vent.