5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Reliable
I read about the old model some bad things (heating, disconnecting, bad signal etc) so I was affraid to go for Linksys to upgrade my home wireless network to N band, 5Ghz.
The fact is I needed this adapter for my wife`s windows xp sp3 notebook. She spends most of the day on internet, wireless.
The distance between the notebook and linksys router is no more far...
Published on June 13, 2012 by Samuel G. Masini

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Customer Support
Published on November 12, 2011 by jetch

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Reliable, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter (AE3000) (Personal Computers)
The distance between the notebook and linksys router is no more far than 4m, same room (no stairs or floors).
Here are the results:
1. Signal Strenght: between 385mbps - 450mbps
2. Signal Stability: 100%
3. Connection: 100%, never lost it.
4. Temperature: warm to hot, but keeps working with no failures
5. Installation: I did almost nothing, just inserted CD and after 2 clicks, done.
This is the new linksys router I bought together with this adapter: Linksys EA4500 App-Enabled N900 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with Gigabit and USB.
Family 100% happy ! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised., September 3, 2011
Bought this dual band AE2500 adapter to replace my old single band adapter. Installation was quick and painless. Insert CD, wait until it tells you to plug in
the adapter, chose your network and off you go. It probably didn't take me 30 seconds from the time I inserted the CD Rom drivers disk until I was connected.
I have a Vizio Dual Band Router which is one of the Best Bang for the Buck Dual Band Routers out there Btw. The AE2500 Found the routher without any issues.
The only choice I had to make was at which frequency I wanted to connect. I have tried both 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz and the 5ghz band was over 3 times as fast vs
the 2.4ghz at least in my household. The computer I connected it to is upstairs and the adapter still connected through several walls and ceiling.
Overall I am very happy with my purchase. We shall see if it will hold up over the months to come.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Customer Support, November 12, 2011
I purchased this adapter based on reviews of the product, however something else to consider is customer support if things go wrong. I bought this new (not refurbished) and it did not work from the beginning. I was getting .8Mbps throughput where my other wireless adapter gave me 9Mbps in the same exact location. I spent hours online trying to update drivers and find a solution.

I finally contacted technical support where they had me try a few things that did not work. the woman said it needed to be replaced. I had to hang up and call back for customer support (she couldn't just connect me because they are outsourced). The woman i spoke to this time said it wasn't documented that a replacement was warranted so asked me how exactly I updated the drivers. I explained exactly. She gave me a new ticket number and again said I had to hang up and call customer support. I did and again was told that it wasn't documented that a replacement was warranted (everything else was apparently documented, both calls). I did the tech support thing again and this time, they documented that a replacement was warranted. I called customer support and was told that they would be sending me a refurbished unit once i ship and they receive my defective adapter! I complained that I bought it new and it has never worked and that I should be given a new unit. The woman didn't care, just said that was the policy, and with every complaint I made, i got the same response. that's their policy.

So, if you want to buy a cisco-linksys product, go ahead but if it doesn't work, don't expect much support and definately do not expect a new replacement to your defective unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Way To Go For Blazing Fast WiFi, March 8, 2013
To get optimum performance out of a Dual-Band Wireless-N router, you need to get Dual-Band Wireless-N adapters. There are plenty of Wireless-N adapters out there, all of which brag about being up to the "latest standard" and offering "blazing fast" WiFi performance. However, if you have a Dual-Band router, you are throttling your maximum connection speed down to no more than 130 Mbps unless you spend a little more and get the right kind of WiFi adapters. The Linksys AE3000 will do the job very well for an excellent price.

Mine was out of the box, plugged in, installed and running in less than 5 minutes. I did not use the CD that came with the adapter. I downloaded the current driver software from the Linksys website and unzipped it on my hard drive. When I plugged in the adapter, I directed Windows to use these files to locate the appropriate driver. My system happens to have the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium installed, so I chose this driver package from the website.

The AE3000 initially connected on my D-Link DIR-825 router's 2.4 GHz band at 130 Mbps, just like an ordinary Wireless-N adapter. I have the router configured such that the SSID is "invisible" for better security, and the adapter could not initially "see" the 5 GHz band. I logged on to my router and temporarily set the SSID for the 5 GHz band to "visible," which allowed the AE3000 to spot it right away. When I connected this time - Wow! - I had a 300 Mbps connection. I tested file transfers between several systems on my home network and found dramatically improved speeds. This was exactly what I was looking for. (By the way, I didn't forget to log back on to the router and reset my 5 GHz band SSID to "invisible." This doesn't provide perfect security by any measure, but every little bit helps against casual hackers.)

Don't look for this adapter to necessarily improve your web-surfing experience. Your DSL or cable internet connection probably tops out at no more than 20 Mbps, so a connection to your router faster than Wireless-G speeds of 54 Mbps will most likely make no noticeable difference. The point here is to achieve faster connections between the devices on your home network. For instance, if you stream music and/or video files from a desktop system to a network-capable Blu-Ray player (as I do,) faster connection speeds will make a BIG positive difference.

You may have to experiment with the position of the adapter and/or the router's antennas to obtain the highest quality signal strength. Even a slight twist in the angle of my router's antenna provided a 10% improvement in signal quality on the 5 GHz band connection. I found that my connection speed stabilized at 300 Mbps when the signal quality remained at about 90%. (I have asked my wife to avoid dusting on or around my router for the foreseeable future!) Interestingly, I found the 2.4 MHz band connection to be much less sensitive in this same manner. I suppose this is because less data is being transmitted.) However, even when the signal strength dropped to 80%, my connection speed remained at about 270 Mbps, which still isn't too bad.

The key point is to configure your dual-band router so that the 5 GHz band is activated, and to log your compatible adapter on to that band. The Linksys AE3000 adapter is an excellent, affordable choice that gets the job done. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Installation, Excellent Coverage., July 5, 2012
Purchased this because the internal wireless card that came with my Gateway desktop didn't work properly. And it's easier to buy a solution than to deal with their tech support. (1st and only Gateway product I will ever purchase). The computer is upstairs at other end of 5000 sq ft house from link-sys 3000 router. Never gets less than 3-4 bars. Very easy installation on Windows 7 - literally plug and play after installation of software. Have used it for 2 months now. Absolutely no problems. 100% satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, January 4, 2013
This product is the must have 5 Gigahertz wifi adapter. The setup disk is one click done install of driver. Be sure to install before installing adapter into USB slot. Also ensure you do not inadvertently connect to a 2.4 Gigahertz router in the house if you need 5 G-Hertz! Keep in mind 5 G-Hertz by definition will not give you a strong signal as 2.4, but nothing beats it in terms of interference issues using 2.4 routers. Many reviews here are complaining of either a weak signal or no signal. The no signal reviews are likely attributed to connecting to your 2.4 G-Hertz router (where you have a lot of interference). The weaker signal reviews are likely attributed to the limitation of the 5 G-Hertz signal by definition. Keep in mind the 5 G-Hertz signals is not intended for any long distance as 2.4 G-Hertz devices perform. The primary advantage of 5 G-Hertz is to bypass interference if you have strong issues with microwaves and cordless phones. The only downside will be your signal strength. Please keep this in mind when presenting your Amazon reviews! Otherwise this is a great product with 3 built in attennas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice 802.11ac adapter, October 23, 2013
I have several 802.11ac adapters such like Netgear A6200, ASUS PCE-AC66. But the signal issue is always make me unhappy. My Desktop locates behind a wall so the signal is weak. But this items solves my issue. After pass through a wall, the speed can still at 585Mbps. And for actually speed, I try to copy files from my server, the speed can achieve 36MB/s. I also try to connect this adapter to a computer which is about 4 meters away from my router and without any obstacle. Then I can get about 48MB/s download speed. For the comparison, the Netgear A6200 can only achieve 35MB/s download speed at the same location. I love this adapter for its signal and speed. Thanks Linksys.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spotty performance/connectivity., October 1, 2011
Carl Bussler (Havertown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm in the same boat as another reviewer. I replaced my router with a Linksys AE2500, bought a new modem (Motorola Surfboard SB6120) and purchased a Linksys AE2500 adapter for my wife's computer upstairs. Everything about the setup is rock-solid except this AE1200.

Intermittent connectivity issues. Unplugging and replugging fixes the issue, but this adapter just isn't worth the hassle. I would also note that I'm running Windows 7 (32bit) on a fresh install and the computer is only 10 feet from the adapter. There shouldn't be any issues.

Spend the extra money for the AE2500. I'm having no issues with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, May 22, 2012
Pros:
- adapter functions great with our new Asus N66U router
- USB connection: no fiddling around inside your computer case
- includes a stand and chord so you can get the antenna away from the computer
- solid construction: feels sturdy for such a small device
- setup is a breeze

Cons:
- A little on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for

Unless you are on a very tight budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this adapter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Unstable, April 27, 2012
This device drops internet connection intermittently and there is currently no solution. This is not a problem for all users, but there are quite a few who have been trying very hard to find a solution to no avail. Cisco is apathetic.

Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter (AE3000)
$49.99 $39.99