5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wireless router!
I'm not a guru in this area so I needed 2 things out of this router, work out of the box and give me good range on my home network. The router scored perfectly on both counts. The setup couldn't be easier, although it's not idiot proof, and I'm the idiot that proved it. Setup is a 4 step process:
1. Load the CD in your PC and start it.
2. Plug in the...
Published on May 28, 2011 by Jakester

Published on January 27, 2012 by Lupo

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wireless router!, May 28, 2011
This review is from: Linksys E1500 Wireless-N Router with SpeedBoost (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
1. Load the CD in your PC and start it.
2. Plug in the router.
3. Connect the router to the modem. (This is where I screwed up. The CD directions specify that if you're replacing an existing router, to disconnect from the modem before plugging the cable into the router. I failed to do this and the internet connection failed after I finished setup. Disconnecting everything and restarting the setup process, which takes only a few minutes, solved this problem.)
4. Connect your peripherals to the router (PC, printer, etc., if they are not wireless).
That's it. Setup finished showing me the router SSID and password. You can accept the defaults or enter them yourself. The default password was strong (a mix of alpha characters, numbers, and mixed cases on the alpha characters) so if you want to accept it be sure to record it in a safe place.
I gave it 4 stars on signal strength because I had been using a Linksys wireless G router that was about 5 years old and performed steadfastly from day 1. Using a netbook and my PS3 I measured signal strength on both routers and the signal strength was slightly higher on the G router, with all other conditions identical. Not a significant drop but I was surprised there was any drop at all.
Other than that however, this looks to be a very good wireless router for home use. It worked out of the box and has a much sleeker profile than my old G router. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this if your wifi speed is very slow for a new E1500 out of the box, January 27, 2012
Lupo (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
I connected the router successfully without any problems, but as soon as I started testing the wifi speed on a laptop and kindle fire I realized that the speed was very slow - e.g. 100-250kpbs downloading and a bit faster uploading. Luckily I found the answer quickly via google on the cisco support forums. The solution is to disable WMM (Applications & Gaming > QoS > WMM Support).
How disappointing to have to deal with such a problem with a new router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose, May 17, 2011
This replaces an older model Linksys router (WRT54GS) and this router is easier to set up than the old one. It only took me 10 minutes total to install--maybe less. This has a nicer thinner and sleeker design and no more antennas sticking out and the blinking lights are at the back and no longer in the front. I chose this over the E1200 which is about $20 less because of the speedboost feature and expanded range but I really haven't really noticed anything extraordinary in speed and range. Anyway, I am very happy with this purchase and trust the Linksys name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, May 24, 2011
maxmasa31 "maxmasa31" (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm no networking wizard, but I know my way around setting up a wireless router. The Linksys/Cisco E1500 is the fourth (fifth?) I've ever set up and it was BY FAR the easiest.

First off, I really appreciated that I could set up this router this wirelessly, as I performed the installation using my 11" Macbook Air, which doesn't have an ethernet port. Literally, from the moment I plugged this router into my cable modem and opened the installation wizard to the time my wife was back online playing games on her iPod, was five minutes. The program walked me through naming my network and setting up my password and it automatically set my network to use WPA2 security (which experts recommend over WPA or WEP). Since I used the same SSID and password, the instant the wizard told me I was done, everything just worked again! Of course, your mileage may vary, as I've always set my my routers to maximum security, which could just be the default with the E1500.

While the router can be controlled through the aforementioned setup file, which is ideal for most users, there is also a browser-based control panel with access to the more detailed network capabilities, such as assigning static IPs and MAC addresses.

Another feature I like is the "guest access" feature, which allows me to let friends or family who are visiting to use my internet, without access to the other computers on my network. It's easy to activate and you can set up a separate password for your guests.

In terms of range and speed, this replaced an N router from a different manufacturer and from my observations, the range is much improved, as is speed. When I'm in my bedroom walk-in closet, I'm about 20+ feet from the router with two walls in between. With my old router, I was getting three bars or less on my Airport signal, but with the E1500, I'm at the full four bars. In terms of speed, maybe it's my imagination, but I read a lot of photo-heavy blogs, and they seem to load faster. I don't have real world numbers on page load times, but it seems like a big improvement though both are N wireless routers.

Finally, my old router used to reboot a lot. At least once a day; on some days, a lot more. I used to think it was my ISP, but I changed out my cable modem a month or two ago and still experienced the same issues. It's only been a couple of days with this router, but I've yet to notice a dropout/reboot.

Overall, I can't recommend this router enough. It's the first time I've owned a Linksys/Cisco wireless router and I don't think I'll ever buy another brand again. The ease of setup/use, reliability, range, and speed are just great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but lacks many advanced features, July 1, 2011
J. Preece (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I replaced an older Linksys router with this model and as far as your basic setup-and-go router, this one is pretty good. Installation was painless with the CD, however I don't like that you really MUST use the CD to set it up. Apparently, if you make too many changes to the router via the webpage, it breaks your ability to use the CD with it again. I'm not a fan of installing software I'll never use, and that is one star off for this router right there.

My bigger beef is basically that the router lacks some of the very useful advanced options. For example, there is no easy way to see who is connected to the router (list of IPs, MACs or device names, etc). I have several wireless cameras along with iPods and computers, but the DHCP list shows two devices, and that list is extremely well hidden in the menu structure.

There is no way to manually set the MTU, so optimizing your WAN speed is not possible.

And, the bigger issue is when you setup port routing (for my weather cams, phone server, etc), the DHCP server always changes the IP addresses, rendering the port forwarding useless. You can't assign port forwarding by MAC address, which would be very nice. So when you reboot the router or the power goes out, you have to hunt around dozens of possible IP addresses to find your devices and fix the port forwarding table. This is a pretty lame issue for a Cisco-based router considering my older D-Link and Actiontech routers are much more sophisticated for 1/2 the price!

My work around for the above "bug" is to set the affected devices to static IP with a local address... this removes the router's ability to release/reassign the IP address every couple days.

But if you don't need all the fancy stuff, you will likely enjoy this router. It's very attractive and low profile. WiFi range is okay - not great (we have a 1000 sq ft house and it works fine in here by at the driveway I have a weak signal). If you have a huge house, you may need to consider a router with a more powerful WiFi transmitter, or a repeater.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by Linksys' previous track record, July 12, 2012
I previously owned a linksys router that now looks like one from their new "valet" line and it worked for a very long time with 0 issues, about 1.5 years. Then, it burned out when there was a huge lightning storm. No big deal, time for a new router. Bought the E1500, especially because of their previous track record with me and the fact that their box announced a 1 year warranty. Great. Setup and installed, worked for about 4 months with very few issues, then one day, just stopped working. No changes to my laptop or anything else, I just couldn't connect to the internet one morning. I reset the router, reconfigured with the disc, reset everything on the network (modem, router, etc) and nothing was helping. I pinged the router from my laptop and it responded no problem at all and I had my ISP ping the router and they were receiving a response, but my devices couldn't access the internet via the router, either wirelessly or wired. I cloned the MAC address of the router to my laptops ethernet port and its wireless card, respectively, and neither helped. Finally, I googled and checked some forums, but nothing really matched with my issue, but still tried disabling the WMM as suggested by those with slow download speeds and also upgrading the firmware, but neither helped, still the same problem.
At this point, I have run out of ideas so I call Cisco to call in the warranty/tech support, as I still have 8 months left on my warranty. They proceed to tell me that my free tech support only lasts for 90 days, not the entire year, so if I want some help to POTENTIALLY fix the problem, I need to pay them $30 or $40 to talk to someone. Are they kidding? Their POS router decided to get all schizo and I am supposed to pay almost the cost of a new router to MAYBE fix the old one? So, I am currently talking through the problem with a friend who is a networker and hopefully he can figure out what this thing is doing. As it stands, Linksys has failed to honour its warranty, using the "our tech support only lasts for 90" days BS as en excuse. So how exactly do they have a 1 year warranty? Maybe I should hit it with a hammer and it will work, if not, will they replace it?
I am being facetious, but I am so frustrated with garbage claims being made by companies.

Anyways, Moral of the rant is BUY A ROUTER FROM A DIFFERENT COMPANY, ONE THAT IS HONEST ABOUT THE LENGTH OF THEIR WARRANTY OR WILL HONOUR IT PROPERLY AND WON'T GIVE YOU SO MANY ISSUES WITH SO LITTLE HELP, 4 MONTHS IN.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 16, 2012 5:10:31 PM PDT
gann17, I'm sorry for your frustration. Can you provide me with the case number you were issued or a way to contact you? I'd like to try to assist.

2.0 out of 5 stars the unit could be great but there are issues, November 17, 2011
Out of the box the E-1500 worked well with the pair of Cisco AE-1000 N adapters as well as the various G devices we have...shortly after we started having problems like random dropouts ( it would say we had intenet but we didnt, manually reset the adapter and it worked again/all was fine at the modem end and G adapters) and odd random slowdowns, I opened the Cisco connect software and was notified there was an important update for the router, I followed the instructions and all went well acoording to the software...afterwards top download speed was about .4 MBPS, where it was around 22MPBS with the N adapters, wireless G connections were not affected. I spent hours on the phone with tech support doing the same things over and over, dragging desktops out of their rooms and traring down my home theater to get a direct connection and was finally given an RMA...and "I" had to pay return shipping which was about $12...I also asked tech support if I should ignore the updates or do them with the replacement..they said to do it..

About a week goes by and replacment (REFURB) shows up, all goes well with the install and all works well for a couple days, I ship the old one back out of my pocket, then I get the prompt for an update, I run it and speed goes down the toilet...spend a couple more hours on the phone and no joy, I ask if there is a way to roll back the update and was told no, I also get admonished for running the connect software wirelessly, when the instructions are worded that it should be done wirelessly..and the fact that with tech support we tried to install the software wired with no wireless adapter, and it would NOT install...so after a couple hours with me actually walking him through half of it.... I'm told to do another RMA..and pay another $12 extra which would be $24 in a weeks time to get a properly functioning unit that I paid full price for a short time ago, at this point I'm beyond angry and sick of the empty "apologies"....

I do another search like I did when the problems after firmware first happend ,"Cisco E1500 speed problems after firmware update" and was greeted by the same usless crap I found the first time but on the second or third page near the bottom I found a tiny little thread where someone found the answer,

"Found the Fix. Disable WMM support in the settings under >applications and gaming"

I did that and instantly both machines using the AE1000 N adapters were getting the same just under 32 MBPS our wired machine gets. Its still not working perfectly, I've had a few short random internet dropouts, but when its working its very fast again. WMM is "Wifi Multimedia Support" which supposedly puts a priority on video and audio and not really important today from what I've read with high internet speeds say over 3 MPBS...my best guess is the firmware update borks this function somehow. I did call Cisco support again afterwards and told them of this workaround and they were very appreciative...and cluless, after walking them though it they "solved" a similar case with this method ...hopefully this will be "fixed" soon...and I'm sure there will be tons of perfectly fine refurbs out there, I know of at least one....I'd rate this unit a 4 if it werent for extreme hassles and very poor support...sure I was talking to people (all be it with often very long hold times)...polite for the most part when you could understand them, but essentially useless....

I highly doubt I will ever buy a Cisco product again if it can be avoided, my previous router was a US Robotics MAX G, which ran flawlessly for over 6 years, it was truly set it and forget it...sadly they seem to have gotten out of the home wireless buissiness...otherwise I would have bough another USR router.

Buy with caution.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars linksys has gone way down hill., May 21, 2012
i had owned a linksys router for many many years before switching to ATT and therefore no longer needing it. I recently switched to comcast and bought this router. do not buy it. i originally bought the 1500 version and i couldnt even connect my mac to it. i then decided to upgrade to a 1550 after reading the 1500 was having problems. the problems then started with the installation disk. despite checking to make sure i had the version os osx installed, the installation disk kept saying i needed to upgrade. luckily i still had service from ATT and was able to download the installation disk and use that. the problems only escalated from there as my my router was only sending signals at 2 mbps despite the 30 i was receiving straight from the comcast wire. after sitting with customer service for 3 hours trying to solve the problem, they agreed to send me a new unit. "great!" i thought, a defective product, totally understandable, it happens. upon receiving the replacement, the problem still persisted. after all this, i STILL am forced to pay return shipping for the defective unit. how am i sold a defective unit and must pay to return it. yes its only a few bucks, but i am now going to eat that and return this product to best buy like i should have in the first place. i will never buy a linksys product ever again. its disgusintg how bad they have become.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 22, 2012 2:33:23 PM PDT
canncush, can you provide me with the case number you were issued? I'd like to look into this and see if I can't assist in some way.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Limited Warranty" is worth nothing, July 30, 2012
We bought this router thinking that a one year warranty would cover fixing or replacing the product if it stopped functioning correctly unless by our own fault: that is how warranties work. The router worked for a few months, but when we moved our cable modem, only ACROSS THE ROOM, simply unplugging and re-situating the router caused it to to stop emitting ANY wireless signal.

Not one to complain, I got down to business investigating the problem using the online help, but none of the suggestions matched our problem: there was no characteristic issue, it had just ceased to communicate with any computer either wirelessly or through an ethernet cable.

So I called customer support, confident that my warranty would at least mean they'd suggest a likely fix or specific web page for options, or tell me where I could read what the criteria were for verifying that the limited warranty would cover our issue. This is where things go bad.

While polite, the representative I spoke with(after being first funneled through what was clearly a third party pay-per-call tech support company)informed me that the ONLY thing she could do for me was take a credit card number, though not before wasting 30 minutes of my time taking my email and phone number and asking about the problem as if helping me was a given.

The limited warranty (post-three months) covers NOTHING unless you agree to pay a tech support fee (which closely rivaled the purchase cost of the modem). That fee will allow you to speak with them while troubleshooting your device, and THEN if after hours of trouble your can't make the thing work they will have you send them the router and a technician there will inspect it to verify the issue is hardware. ONLY THEN does your (very) limited warranty do you any good IF they decide it was a covered issue.

I'm reasonably tech savvy and asked what criteria the technicians check for so I could be sure myself but was told there ARE NO specific criteria, only a technician's opinion where I have no say in the determination. I asked to speak with a technician or be pointed to a list of symptoms which imply hardware failure and was told neither is in any way possible. The only option provided to you after three months is to pay up front for hours of time on the phone troubleshooting, and then spend days without your router while it travels to them, is inspected (arbitrarily and with no guarantees, it seems), then returned. By then, even if you are lucky and they decide to admit the problem is not your fault, you have gone days without the product you payed for, and if you aren't lucky your purchase has essentially doubled in price. But don't worry, at least you'll have a new router which they guarantee to work (but only for three months).

That is NOT a warranty, no matter how one interprets "limited". Paying that fee is like gambling, except that you don't get to see the dice when they land, and even when you win all you do is break even.

1.0 out of 5 stars with speedBUST- 802.11n doesn't work, October 20, 2011
Set-up is easy (install program on included CD or via download is required). Connecting devices is easy as well. Only one problem... 802.11n modulation just work properly. The download speeds are dismal.

I've got four wireless devices connected to the router: 2 laptops and 2 iphones. First laptop (older one) and iPhone 3GS use only b/g connection. iPhone 4s and the second laptop use the N bandwith. The first two devices have reached 16 Mbps download speeds (I pay for 24 Mbps max download speed) and upload speed of 4.25 Mbps. The other two devices that use the N bandwith have reached max download speed of 0.4 Mbps (YES - that's a ZERO point four) and upload speed of 4 Mbps.

After two hour on the phone with with Cisco support and being asked to update the router with the same firmware version that was already installed, I was asked to return the router back to Amazon.

1 day later (thanks Amazon) I've setup a new replacement router. Result: SAME PROBLEM.

Switching to B/G ONLY mode does 'fix' the problem. I just can't use the 802.11n modulation. So the router is going back to Amazon again. I've been using linksys devices for a very long time. Sounds like it is time to try another vendor. If you are looking for B/G router only then this one will do - but most likely you can find a cheaper alternative.

Rate and Discover Movies