5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and blazing fast!
Set this up yesterday. Didn't use the included cd, but instead chose to go in manually and set it up via web page config mode. Whole thing took maybe 45 minutes.

Everything looks the same as my old wrt54g router which was creeping on its way to the old age home and who's signal would die every time I'd fire up the microwave.

Easy setup, blazing...
Published on April 10, 2010 by Dr Pennypacker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great
Published on April 17, 2010 by R. Fraik

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and blazing fast!, April 10, 2010
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)

Easy setup, blazing speeds, setup port forwarding for my xbox 360, port forwarding for my air video server to stream DVR video to my iPhone and iPad, turned on firewall and made sure VPN pass thru was enabled. Set a password on router to change from default. Setup DHCP to have a 7 day lease.

We have almost a completely wireless house. A blackberry, iPhone, iPad, xbox360, netbook, 2 laptops, HTPC, Hp Printer and a desktop.
Everything is hooked up wireless except the desktop.

Setup the 5ghz with a unique SSID and password and connected the xbox360. Tested a 1080i streaming video from xbox live, worked flawlessly. Tried to hook the HTPC into the 5ghz but could not due to an issue with the pc's NIC (probably with a driver, I'll mess with it later). Put the iPad on the 5ghz and it hooked in flawlessly and streamed video like a champ.

Everything else went on the the 2.4ghz band. Setup the same SSID and password that I used on my old linksys and then unplugged the old router. Everything hopped right over to the new one.

Speed seems better on everything. The UnPnP feature resolved some issues I had between xbox and getting media off other pcs.
Tested VPN pass thru to make sure I could connect back to work network.

Only thing I have not tried is the Storage server option.

Definately a solid router so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cisco connect, May 2, 2010
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
I have read some of the reviews before I bought this router E3000 and was almost not going to buy it because of the bad reviews. So I want to write a review to help people understand this wireless router.

There are only 4 things inside the box when you first get it. The router, setup disk, Ethernet cable, and power brick. There is no instruction manual I don't really think you need one the instructions are on the setup disk. First you have to run the CD first than follow the on screen instructions. It just basically tells you the timing for when they want you to plug in a connection and diagnose if it is working and installs the Cisco Connect program.

YOU CAN USE THE CISCO CONNECT PROGRAM AND THE ADVANCE SETTINGS .

I have looked online from reviews from both amazon and other websites and the major complaint is that you can't use both but you CAN. I have experimented a little bit with the advanced settings (also accessible through 192.168.1.1) that you can access through the cisco connect program under router settings. So far from the changes I made, the only setting that you can not change in the advanced settings, that will disable the cisco connect program is the settings for the 2.4 GHz wireless settings either the Network Name (SSID) or the passphrase. You can change the settings for the 5 GHz and can still access Cisco Connect. The reason why so many people want to change the SSID is because the Cisco Connect program assign you a silly random name, mines was quickdolphin for example. I think that might be the main cause of some of the bad reviews. If You want to change the 2.4 GHz SSID and still be able to use both cisco connect and the advance settings change it only through the cisco connect program under Router settings/ Personalize there you can change the router name and password after that change whatever you want in the advance settings. If at any time you cannot access the cisco connect program than you can just reset the router and just go through the installation CD again. You can turn off the guest access and the parental control is there if you need it in the cisco connect. This router can do amazing speeds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, April 17, 2010
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
The overall wireless performance is very good. Firewall features are Ok but lacking services like VPN. MAC based DHCP reservations are now included, which is great. I have tried the integrated NAS with an 8GB SanDisc USB thumb drive. It works but don't expect screaming performance. Theere are QoS settings supporting Rhapsody, iTunes, Skype and the major messenger services. Also includes an integrated FTP server which I have yet to mess with.

The include Cisco Connect software is awful! Unfortunately you must use it if you want to setup a guest WiFi account (limited to 10 users), a feature not available through the web interface. The Cisco Connect configurator is incapable of syncing with any "advanced" setting made through the web interface. forcing you to use stupid password rules and other assumptions enforced when you use the software. Additionally the out-of-box setup CD-ROM application failed for me due to a non-expired DHCP lease from my broadband modem, ultimately requiring a modem rest to give up the old lease. The Linksys error screen suggested unplugging my modem for two minutes. Well, my Comcast broadband modem also provides phone service and has an internal battery, so unplugging for a few minutes would do nothing. Some users may become frustrated with such poorly thought through trouble shooting advice.

Another annoyance is there seems no way to change the assigned "server" name.

If you are familiar with the WRT54g series, the E3000 will seem very familiar. If you are less than network inclined and think you may use Cisco Connect, be prepared for a few tech support calls.

For those interested in using the web interface out of the box; the default IP is 192.168.1.1 on the LAN ports. Default user name/password: admin/admin.

Despite my gripes the wireless speed makes up for the short comings which may some day be fixed in a firmware update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless routner, one drawback in th set up., April 19, 2010
Richard B. Drake "RIch" (Southern Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
Wow, the Cisco E3000 is a gem and I am thrilled with it. It's my fourth wireless router and the first one to provide completely reliable wired and wireless connectivity to a plethora of devices without needing to be constantly rebooted. It even actually gets a 300Mbs connection from my Wireless N laptop running Windows 7 Professional when I am seated in my living room about 15 feet from the router.

Set up is as easy as it gets if you follow the instructions. I recommend that you do follow the instructions step by step even if you are experienced with router set up. Install the first PC from the supplied CD, create the "Easy Setup Key" on a USB flash drive (this is not supplied with the E3000) and use it to set up the other PC's on your network practically plug and play. This will get you up and running in minutes with WPA encryption enabled by default and insure that "Cisco Connect" is installed on each PC. Without "Cisco Connect" you won't be able to control your guest network so you need it. Once everything is working with the basic setup you can use Advanced setup to add advanced features as you need them like DDNS, port forwarding and MAC address filtering etc. However, if you change the SSID or password you will no longer be able to use "Cisco Connect", I knocked it down one star for that and hope that they will soon correct it.

If you have or are planning a home network for all those gadgets that need internet access like PC's, Play Stations, TV's, DVR's, iPods, Wii's, and on and on, this is the router you want to have.

Note Added 5/11/2010
On 5/4/2010 Cisco released an update for Cisco Connect and a firmware update for the E3000 router. After installing both updates I brought up Cisco Connect and changed both my password and the SSIDs for both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands. It automatically reset these items in the Advanced settings menu accessible via a Web browser and prompted me to update my "Easy Setup Key". Thus, I consider the problem that most everyone including myself complained about to be solved and I have upgraded my rating to from 4 to 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY Set-Up, Connected 12 PC's and Macs in 7 Minutes, PURRRFECT Dual-Band Router!, November 14, 2010
Wavey Davey (Southern CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
The ease of setup of the Cisco-Linksys E3000 router astonished me! I had a studio and household FILLED with multiple PC's and Macs, both desktop and notebook computers, and a PC server plus Mac G5 server for my AppleTV Library, iTunes Library, and this router self-configured itself with each and every computer/device/system that I own, some 12 machines in total, in less than 7 minutes for the full cycle of the auto-connect feature to take place.

That FLOORED me totally, and I'm an advanced networking expert, who was prepared for a completely tough, manual install of this router but figured I'd give it a go with the Auto-Connect Feature of this router, by simply inserting the Cisco-Linksys CD ROM into my PC server's optical drive, and followed the prompts to the letter (to a point), let the router Auto-Configure each and every PC and Mac in my mixed-stable of computers here in my studio and throughout the house, 8 computers here in my studio near the router's plug-in to my Time-Warner RoadRunner HS Turbo Modem, and 4 other computers elsewhere in the house, and I'll be danged if the new E3000 didn't pull off the complete connection routing in less than 7 minutes actual time! CRAZY GOOD!

I immediately fired up the router's web interface and went into the Advanced settings, and renamed the System from default to my regular/normal System's name, set up the web interface for my network Hard Drive and plugged in a 1TB USB external HD for network sharing and backup services, reconfigured the password to my rather complex 26-digit and symbol password for ultimate security purposes, set the "renew DHCP Lease" to my own specific schedule apart from default, adjusted Media and FTP Server setting to active, and a lot of other "host services" to manual settings vs the default settings, and in less than 30 minutes total time I disconnected my former "N-Spec" router, and turned the duties over to the new E3000.

Suffice to say it's been literally plug and play since then, with only a minor glitch to report, and that was perhaps my own fault but it involved updating the firmware to the latest and greatest, and my update went awry somewhat...I ended up having to re-apply the new patch TWICE before it took and set up correctly, and BAM!! All was well again, settings were intact, and when I restarted the System it fired right up, everything popped up green, blue, and yellow LED's like it's supposed to do, and voila! Firmware update a success, all was well, and the system @ 100%.

The Dual-Band aspect of this router gives it a special character, with the ability to transmit and receive signals and data simultaneously, at the same time literally, and maintain its incredible bandwidth in both the 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz channels without fault of any sort, and that's an amazing feature! My AppleTV system works significantly better than it did with the old MaxPower N-Spec Routerat full speed ahead, it being a single-band router and some 5 years old at the time I replaced it with the E3000.

I find the web interface to be simple, and simplistic too, a nice interaction to work with when you want to customize any features, or change any settings manually vs the router's automatic setups. I have yet to have to restart or "recycle" this router after some 5 months of use thus far, which I consider to be very, very unusual given the nature of routers in general, but the Cisco-Linksys E3000 seems to be in a class by itself with respect to sustainability. It is also a router that you can place ANYWHERE with respect to its antennas being all internal (6 of them!), as I have placed it UNDER MY WORK STATION now, and there's no difference in the signal being all-pervasive and strong throughout my studio, and home to boot!

I also use the router to handle the Administration of my twin RAID system's web interface, and that uses one of the Gigabit Ethernet Ports of the E3000 and plugs directly into the Areca 1680IX-8 Hardware RAID Controller, and that feature of the router has also worked without fail thus far, no issues at all! I have searched and tried to figure out S*O*M*E* weakness that this new E3000 router has, but alas there is nothing left to write or say with respect to things that are wrong with it, because the dang thing just works 100% for the good!

Every day that I use my system here in the studio and throughout my home I marvel at its consistency, it steadfastness, and its power, just incredible in all those aspects of use with my heavy, heavy needs placed upon it, and it's just fantastic. It would be hard to say "it could be better", because I just don't know HOW or WHAT we could do so as to make it better than it is right now.

I am transmitting millions and millions of bytes of critical information up to Standford University in the Folding@Home program, with 5 active computers in the program here in my home and studio, and it's IMPORTANT that each and every byte gets transmitted up there for the benefit of mankind, and the critical research that the researchers are doing, and this great Cisco-Linksys E3000 keeps the candles "lit" in my contributions to the Folding@Home program hour by hour, day by day, and week by arduous week...it just doesn't fail me, and that is all I could ask of it!

I never thought I'd say something like this about a router, but this thing is SO FAR AHEAD of everything else out there that you can buy for your home or office use for a high-speed data network, be it from a HD Cable Modem system like what I have with me here, a DSL system, whatever way you can critically look at such a thing as a router which literally is the lifeline between you and the internet, and all it can represent, but I'll say this for the record: I don't think that there's anything better being made today, AT ANY PRICE, ANY CONFIGURATION, ANY SETUP WHATSOEVER THAN THE CICSO-LINKSYS E3000 Router!

This thing is King of the Hill! I have actually purchased 4 of them since they were released in early June, 2010. The router that I bought this time went down to Australia to my business partner's home office to use there, because he cannot buy one in Australia at any price: they just aren't offered there yet, so I took it upon myself to score one for him and the network in his home office, and he is just like I am by now: a believer in this E3000 system 100% without qualification, without doubts, and without any negative thoughts whatsoever!

It's not every day that we have products this good come into our lives and uses, and this ladies and gentlemen is the best router that the good, old All-American $$$ can buy, bar none, no doubt as to that statement! The Cisco-Linksys E3000 Dual Band Router gets the Wavey Davey 100% Solid Gold and 5-Star Award for Quality, Value, and Performance, bar none! There isn't anything quite like it no matter what other brands you look at, or even other Cisco-Linksys models for that matter, it stands alone as the No.1 router of any type today, in November 2010.

Wavey Davey - November 14, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars E3000 Rates 5 Stars for Ease of Setup and Range, June 8, 2010
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
After two failed Netgear wireless routers over five years, I finally splurged to the Linksys Cisco brand and bought the E3000. The setup instructions on the installation CD worked perfectly. Just follow the instructions and it connects to my modem and connects to my PC and wireless devices (Dell laptop and iPod Touch). The increase in range within my two story home is a very welcome improvement over my old Netgear WNDR3300. I have a very strong WiFi signal everywhere now. I have not tried the external storage feature. The browser interface works fine as an intermediate network user. I disabled the Guest account with ease. I change the device name with just a few key strokes. I change the passphrase within seconds from the manufacturer's default settings.
So after just one day, I am greatly pleased with the ease of setup, the range and the ability to add other wireless devices as the need arises. A true 5 star rating from a home network user.

ONE WEEK UPDATE: Still a Five Star performer. Zero glitches, and GREAT range within my two story home. A keeper so far!

3.0 out of 5 stars Linksys E3000 Draft N router; late April 2010, April 28, 2010
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
I found the speed outstanding the short time it worked. Having located this at a smaller place than my last Linksys, I can't comment on the range increase it had over the old 2.4G models.

The Cisco Connect basically doesn't work, so either be prepared to accept its simple minded approach (which includes an unsecured guest acct and a security system with a password that is complicated enough that it requires writing down, which of course negates completely its value as a password once put on paper) or be prepared to take the same steps you have always taken to set up your Linksys routers. Like most of the other reviewers I found the tried and true 192.168.1.1 url and manual setup the best way to get this up and running.

Actually for intellectual exercise I decided to reset the router and reset the 192.168.1.1 to factory defaults and try and use Cisco Connect to clear out the unsecured guest acct that the goofus software had installed. Interestingly enough the Cisco Connect wouldn't work the second time either. Even worse it apparently set a new password and where it had previously given me this password so I could manually set up the router it wouldn't do that again. So I can't set it up manually.

Therefor it goes back to Amazon. A shame as it isn't Amazon's fault that Linksys can't build a router interface that works.

So I will edit this review to what it deserves....a zero.

New edit a day later. Not being one to give up, I went to my favorite technical support forum (Google) and saw that a hard reset of the router requires a 30 second depression of the reset button, not 5 sec as I originally thought. After uninstalling the Cisco Connect software from both puters and doing a second but this time ultimately a successful hard reset of the router, I tried the Cisco Connect software for the 3rd time. (admittedly this was some 5 hours into my install attempt, so I gotta admit I was not thrilled at that point, but I kept going). This time the CC software worked. It actually moved from screen to screen and didn't freeze up. In fact at the last screen, which apparently I nor many of the other reviewers had ever reached, the CC software does give you the option of resetting the SSID and the password as well as the password of the guest acct which you can decide to use or not use. These simple changes made through the CC software will not keep you (or so they say) from using the CC software in the future. That part is claimed by Linksys, but I am very reluctant to change anything else now that it appears to be working and working well.

So I will reedit the rating to 3 stars but will still leave setup rated at 1 star.

Thank you for bearing with my tale of woe and ultimately successful installation

5.0 out of 5 stars Cisco/Linksys e3000 router, April 28, 2010
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
I purchased this router last week from Amazon and am very happy with my purchase. Setup was a breeze-just insert the cd and it walks you through how to get the router up and running. The only minor issue I had was attaching the external hard drive to the USB port of the router. I used the advanced settings on the website instead of the Cisco Connect cd and couldn't figure out how to access my files. A quick chat session on Cisco's website with a technician solved the problem within 10 minutes. You have to map your network drive on your computer first. For you non-techies, just start a chat with a Cisco technician online and they'll have it up and running in no time. The tech support was great. The speed on this router is amazing. I upgraded from an old Belkin Wireless G router and can say my download/upload speeds are 2.5 times faster with this router. I checked my download/upload speeds on [...] and was blown away.. Last night, I streamed a movie from Netflix, my wife was online uploading pictures to Costco, and my kids were online as well without any issues or hiccups. Great product, easy setup, and I kick myself for not upgrading sooner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 5, 2010
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
I picked up a Linksys E3000 to upgrade my aging but very reliable Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. The old router has served me very well but the time had come to move up to the improved performance and better range of Wireless N. I've also begun watching NetFlix online lately. The new router should also mean better performance with video streaming.

I have a small home network that consists of a few desktops, a web server (low traffic personal website), a network printer, a Slingbox, and a DirecTV receiver. Wireless devices include laptops (Mac and PC), my iPhone, and an XBox 360. Im also planning to buy a new TV and BluRay player in the near future. These will also probably have wireless connections.

I'm a software engineer and I like tweaking settings to maximize performance. I was running 3rd party firmware, HyperWRT, on my old router to do just that.

I was looking for a high performance dual band router. The E3000 addressed my needs and also includes Gigabit ethernet, a USB port for network storage, and allows for a "guest" wireless network that visitors can connect to. Nice! So given my past history and familiarity with the Linksys interface, the E3000 was a logical choice to replace my old router.

I bought the E3000 online from newegg.com for $150 in May 2010. I did not install the Linksys software to setup this router. (The last thing I need is more software clogging up my system.) I prefer to connect directly and use the web interface to configure my routers. I've been using it for about 6 months now.

I'm sorry to report that I have been disappointed with this router. I actually had better range AND performance with my old router!! The wireless performance was definitely worse. Videos on my laptop that used to run smoothly were now sputtered and slow.
I was also surprised when I started having problems with my wired connections. Web pages and images were definitely loading up more slowly than before. At first I thought that this might be due to the internet connection at the time, but these problems have persisted thru the last several months.

There have also been a few incidents where I've come home to find that the router has completely reset. I had to completely reconfigure from scratch. Very strange. There did not seem to be a power problem.

Finally, the guest network is NOT configurable from the web interface. You must use the Linksys software to accomplish this.

Bottom Line: Save yourself some time and money and don't buy the E3000. I gave up on this router. Not only did it not perform up to expectations -- I performed worse than my old router! Two weeks ago, based on the MaximumPC magazine tests, I went out and bought a brand new N600 NetGear WNDR3700 wireless router. The NetGear is the router I should have bought six months ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, yet powerful, May 11, 2010
This review is from: Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
I never had a router before, so I decided to go all out and spend a bit more to make sure I got quality. And despite the higher price, it was definitely worth it. The Cisco E3000 is a network hub that makes you forget you ever had wired internet to begin with. I've connected not only my computer, but also television, home theater, printer, and even my mobile phone. I also plan on connecting the Wii once I get it. I've got a premium cable broadband connection, and haven't noticed any slowdown with the router, despite multiple other connections I've got as well. It was extremely easy to set up, taking less than 10 minutes to get the wireless connection up and running. It also has a sleek design that avoids the ugly antennas of other routers, and super fast in reconnecting after it's been unplugged. Basically, if you're the type of person who spends at least $1,000 on a computer, spend a bit more and get this router. It's unbelievably easy to set up, internet speed doesn't seem to slow down from the wired connection, and you're able to connect all other devices on it seamlessly. If you want hassle-free wireless, get the E3000.

Cisco-Linksys E3000 Wireless-N Router